Duke Racing Celica GT-Four Time Attack Racecar

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 1,059 comments
Australia
Brisbane
Punknoodle_Nick
Hey everyone, here is my Toyota Celica GT-Four, which has slowly made it's way from street car to dedicated track car.

Currently the list of modifications is as follows:

- N/A 3SGE head and cams, ARP head studs
- Cometic MLS 0.051" head gasket
- Forged pistons and rods, ARP rod bolts
- Precision 5858 CEA .64 A/R ball bearing turbo, with Turbosmart Hypergate 45 external wastegate
- PWR front mounted intercooler with aluminum piping, Turbosmart Vee Port BOV
- Custom 3" mandrel bent stainless exhaust from turbo back. No mufflers or cat.
- Walbro 460lph E85 motorsport fuel pump, Teflon braided fuel lines and fittings, top feed fuel rail, 1000cc injectors, Turbosmart fuel pressure regulator.
- Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 ECU and a bunch of sensors - air temp, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, ethanol content sensor, external map, Innovate wideband O2 sensor and MAC solenoid valve for boost control
- 1ZZ coil on plug ignition
- Custom baffled Oil Catch Tank
- Gen III oil pump, sump, removal of factory water oil cooler and new larger air oil cooler with Greddy thermostatic valve
- Removal of T-VIS butterflies
- Davies Craig EWP130 water pump with electronic controller, removal of thermostat, disabled mechanical water pump, custom coolant hardlines
- PWR aluminium radiator
- Custom water neck, swirl header tank and pipework
- Custom ducting and vented bonnet for increased airflow through coolers
- Exedy clutch, lightened flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts
- Removal of air conditioning system with Fensport Air Con Removal pulley and v belt kit
- TWM Short Shift Kit
- TEIN Super Street coilover suspension
- Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar
- Solid poly engine mounts
- Solid diff mount kit with new stiffer rear sub frame and diff cradle bushes
- Whiteline Plus and Superpro chassis control bushes front and rear, new spherical bearings rear
- Whiteline rear camber adjustment bolts
- Custom rear toe control arms with on-car length adjustment and static attachment points
- Front brake setup: 330mm x 32mm 2 piece floating slotted rotors, Wilwood Superlite 4 piston calipers, Pagid RST3 race pads
- Rear brake setup: 315mm x 16mm slotted and dimpled rotors, ST205 2 piston calipers, Winmax W5 race pads
- Enkei PF01 17x8 +35 wheels
- Nankang AR-1 235/40/17 semi slick tires
- Group A / Carlos Sainz Front Bar
- Stripped interior including sound deadening, custom fully welded half cage built and complied to CAMS specifications
- Single Cobra Imola S racing seat with harness
- Custom front splitter
- Battery relocated to inside cabin

Normal maintenance things like new shift cables, new gearbox syncros, new fuse box, new clutch master and slave cylinders, rebuilt alternator, new starter motor. Lots of custom wiring.

And finally a little video of my last track day:

Last edited:
GT4 = Pure Sex! I'm an old school 5th Gen Celica guy from way back, I've had 3, but never an All-Trac/GT4.

Picture006a.jpg

Hi-ResMini-Meet.jpg

Crazy rally looking Celica is an actual GT4 w/ and ST215 Caldina swap.

Cross your fingers you don't burn a clutch up, they're not fun to change in those....

Haha, yeah tell me about it. You can imagine then how much it cost to get the engine pulled out, head reconditioned and gearbox and power steering reconditioned while they were at it... Trust me, I made sure the clutch was up to task before it was re-assembled!

Word, looks good though, always have a place in my heart for the 5G. Always had a sexy look to it and still does 20 years later. You gotta go with the ST205/215 intercooler and get the Carlos Sainz bumper and hood. Make that bad boy look even sexier...

You're dead right about the Group A / Carlos Sainz bumper, and I am planning on getting one before I go to the next stage of upgrades, as unlike your suggestion I'm planning on running a custom front mount intercooler rather than the water - air intercooler from a Grp A and will need the extra room that bumper provides.

As for the hood, I am one of those weird ones that actually prefers the look of the scoop and vents of the standard GT-Four. Don't get me wrong the Grp A ones still look horn, but I do like mine :)

Are you still planning on coming to Lakeside in July mate? I'm going to QR for the Shannon's Sports & Muscle Car Spectacular in June as well if you're keen, hopefully I'll get the chance to check out your ride in person- maybe get a ride.....:P

Yeah mate I'm still keen! I think a mate was planning on going to that Shannon's show, which means I'll probably end up going for a looksie too - is that the show that used to be held in Cleveland?

Anyway yeah man I'll take you for a blat for sure. Hows the Holden been treating you? Had it re-tuned at all?

Yeah I dunno, it's getting a diff rebuild next week, it's pretty bad. The engine is mostly behaving itself. Any chance you'll have your rims on by June? I'm also curious, what kinds of things are you getting done to help cure moans and groans? Or are the bushes and windscreen reseal it? My flexy 17yr old Ute chassis has its creaks and vibrations too.

Limited slip??

Its likely I'll have the rims by then but maybe not. As for the chassis, it never had an issue before the coilovers went in, now the stiff ride is exposing them. The bushes are pretty well stuffed so I'm getting all the ones I can get from Whiteline, that should sort out the suspension creaks. Then it's just yeah the windscreen, and just trying to go all over the interior and tighten stuff up.

Oh, and the rear diff mount too. From the same guy in ipswich that I got the engine mounts from, he takes the factory mount and gets the old rubber taken out and instead of getting the same, soft and not fully bonded rubber back in he puts in a harder rubber and it goes all around the mount. Tightens up the engine and driveline, but at the same time the vibration transfer to the chassis is increased.

Last edited:
If you're heading to Ipswich I could easily meet up with you there!:D Yeah my Ute's supposed to have an LSD, I've hardly done many burn-outs or drag races to find out how effective it still is.

Easy way to find out, jack the car up and turn the wheel, if the other one turns backwards, no LSD

Just read that wrong, yeah you really need to slide the ass out to see how well it's working haha

OK well I'm getting close to ordering my wheels, finally. Should be in the next fortnight. I've made the decision on size, and offset, deciding to not go down the staggered offset path. I am still getting different hub depths on the wheels, less lip on the front in case I put bigger brakes on it more lip on the back. (Normal Disc front, Super Low Disc rear)

In the end common sense won over wanting extreme stance. Standard offset and width is +39 and 6.5". I'm going +37 all round with an 8" wheel, this will get the front near flush without having to worry about rubbing even with the vehicle quite low. If I were to go out to a 8.5" rim in the same offset, ironically I wouldnt get as much dish - that size is only available in a "Hyper Disc", not "Normal Disc" or "Super Low Disc". I want as much dish as possible. Normal Disc gives me 57mm or dish, Super Low Disc gives me 69mm of dish. (I know, not much compared to you lucky negative offset guys but it'll do).

In this size wheel my tire options are also a lot better, and I should be able to pick up good performance tires cheaper.

Also, by not going staggered offset, I can eventually change the rear axles and diff to a ST205 system to gain the extra track, legally, and not wear my wheel bearings in the process.

This should get it looking a lot tougher, and fill up the guards a lot better. Ordering some TRD lugs and SSR centre caps to go with the wheels - and I'm getting them in Super Black coat.

Now just have to save for those pesky Dunlop Sport Maxx's to put on them...

Nice, makes more sense on a car of yours' size. You coming to Ipswich any time soon? Who was the guy that did them btw?

Oh I normally don't make a special trip to go there, just call in if I'm there for work.

I'm off to Cairns on Tuesday for 3 weeks, but after that I have a big job in Bundamba, so I'll have plenty of chances to drop in to get the mount. I have to take my old one in at the time because he doesn't take deposits for the diff mount as he just doesn't have the stock to give one away and not get an old one in exchange straight away. So I'll have the diff on jacks over night.

The place is called Road and Track. He builds a lot of Toyota rally cars, and specializes in GT-Fours.

I know Road and Track, there's always something interesting there, interesting or ricey. I've seen some rare cars there but I can't remember what they are now.:lol: They occasionally get parts from my dealership, so they're sort of one of my trade customers.👍 Budamba is VERY accessible to me, I even play basketball there, so give us a yell when you're coming.👍

Yeah, cheers man - having a tinny sound was something I was afraid of, but it sounds awesome in my opinion :)

What size tyre you after? I could get you a quote, see if I can cut price much. There's jack all margin in tyres normally through a dealership though. SP Sport right?

Yea that's the ones. I'm thinking 225/45/17s. Should have a load rating of 91 from memory, as long as it's over 89.

That would be awesome dude!

OK I'll look up a price tomorrow, but chances are I won't be able to get very cheap, so make sure you shop around.:lol:

Car is going really well lately, but the windscreen squeaking is really getting on my nerves, and I really need the bushes done as well but I just have had no time lately. Work is hectic and my weekends are always taken up. Must make time to book it in and get done, and must buy bushes. But off to Cairns again on Sunday for another week or two so it'll have to wait again.

Other than that, drove it to the shops tonight, parked it up and looked back at it, glistening under the lights and I just went... Ah.. Nuh.. I need the wheels. Badly. Now. Hurry up SSR my car needs them already! Tires sorted, so just playing the waiting game...

Nice, Noodle. Don't be in Cairns too long, we're going to QLD Raceway at the end of this month remember?;)
Don't we all just wish we could have an expert in the field of awesome street cars and performance constantly on our cars? Just to keep everything in top notch condition to keep our cars at their full potential.

Yeah, I chose to ignore the comma, it made my joke funnier :P

EDIT: OK, call me stupid. Just spent more on it, without doing the bushes and windscreen first (Give me a break, to do this all I had to do was type in a few things into my computer and voila! On its way!) So I ended up buying one of these:

cda_117.png

Seen as how I have a longish road trip ahead of me and want to listen to my iPod while driving. Just have to get some descent speakers now and it'll be good for the time being. I would like to eventually put underseat subwoofers in (love having boot space) and an amp to power the speakers, but its pretty low on the priority list.

Last edited:
Back