Duke Racing Celica GT-Four Time Attack Racecar

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 1,059 comments
Yikes, that's a lot of gunk! Yuck, glad to see that removed from your car! :D

Seeing your car makes me wonder when the last time was that I've seen a Celica pre-T23...

This morning I finished removing the actual sound deadening from the entire floor. This is what's left:
received_10211923920714589_zpshp5dewvc.jpeg

received_10211930063748161_zps5xmvlxq3.jpeg

And what went in to the bag:
received_10211930059748061_zps1vs1z5lu.jpeg

It weighs about 8kgs, but the main reason I did it was because the roll cage needs clean metal to be able to weld to, and with no rear seats I didnt want what was left to be that ugly sound deadening stuff. Looks awful.

Can't wait to see how the car sounds with all this stripped out..

Anyway next job is to use some of that adhesive remover, maybe some acetone, maybe a wire brush. Not sure yet but have to get the crud off. I'll repaint the floor when the cage is in, I think I'll go with a gun metal or silver.

How much total weight do you think you've removed doing all this? I was thinking about the strip, but I'm thinking just removing the rear seats altogether and installing race seats up front should knock about 25-30kg out of the car...

I haven't weighed the seats yet, but the sound deadening is about 8 kgs. The rear seats arent very heavy but the front seats are ridiculously heavy. I have it all in the shed so I'll have to weigh it all soon. The cage will add some weight but not as much as what I've taken out. I think I'll treat myself to a nice new racing seat one day. Use that for the drivers seat and move my current one to the passenger side.

I haven't weighed the seats yet, but the sound deadening is about 8 kgs. The rear seats arent very heavy but the front seats are ridiculously heavy. I have it all in the shed so I'll have to weigh it all soon. The cage will add some weight but not as much as what I've taken out. I think I'll treat myself to a nice new racing seat one day. Use that for the drivers seat and move my current one to the passenger side.
I've been told the leather front seats I have in my E46 weigh about 23-25kg each! Two bucket seats will weigh under 20kg. So at least a 30kg saving there. Take out the rear seats, probably another 5-8kg, and you're closing in on 40kg weight saving.

Yep. Tonight's efforts, I've removed the front speaker boxes from behind the dash. They are fairly heavy. I'm going to be removing the heater core, that will be quite heavy. I'm also going to improve my wiring a bit. I've pulled the entire lower dash apart so I can really get in there and make a nice loom. I'm going to make a new circuit for the new fuel pump. Wired directly from the battery through a new fuse and relay, with the trigger coming straight from the ECU, but I'll add a manual over ride switch in case I need to run the fuel pump independently at any time for diagnostic purposes. Important circuit, any loss of fuel pressure is no good for the engine.

I'm going to remove my SSR wheels and list them on eBay, too. I'll be grabbing a wider set of RPF1s. Cheap, light, look good and will have all the clearance I need for bigger brakes. It will look less baller, but the car is moving in to different territory now.

Yep. Tonight's efforts, I've removed the front speaker boxes from behind the dash. They are fairly heavy. I'm going to be removing the heater core, that will be quite heavy. I'm also going to improve my wiring a bit. I've pulled the entire lower dash apart so I can really get in there and make a nice loom. I'm going to make a new circuit for the new fuel pump. Wired directly from the battery through a new fuse and relay, with the trigger coming straight from the ECU, but I'll add a manual over ride switch in case I need to run the fuel pump independently at any time for diagnostic purposes. Important circuit, any loss of fuel pressure is no good for the engine.

I'm going to remove my SSR wheels and list them on eBay, too. I'll be grabbing a wider set of RPF1s. Cheap, light, look good and will have all the clearance I need for bigger brakes. It will look less baller, but the car is moving in to different territory now.
Are you going full track mode now?

Are you going full track mode now?
Somewhat. It's a long process to say it's a fully ready track car, but my focus is on that, yeah. I still want it to be tidy though and not look like a beater. So I'll be putting the plastics back in for the side of the interior, sills, centre console, door trims, dash, although it will have a bare floor, no carpet, a cage, harnesses. No plastics in the boot, no rear seats, either a single racing seat or a passenger one also. Outside will look stock still, just replacing the SSR wheels with Enkei RPF1s and semi slicks. Will be cutting a slot in my front bumper for the tow strap. Eventually a front lip and splitter. On the inside of my bonnet the scoop will be blanked off. Playing with the idea of an ST184 bonnet with a large vent for a radiator exhaust, but might look at getting a carbon group A bonnet (genuine ones are like hen's teeth). Bigger brakes. That's the extent of it for now. Later on if I get more serious it may get a fuel cell so I can make a diffuser and rear wing, but for that I'd need a car trailer and de-register the thing and make it a dedicated car. That's my current vision for it.

I'll be dropping the tank soon in order to remove the fuel pump so I can replace it. At the same time I'll be checking out what fuel lines I need to replace to ensure the rear of the car at least is E85 compliant. That way, when I decide to run it, I'll only need to focus on the things in the engine bay.

Somewhat. It's a long process to say it's a fully ready track car, but my focus is on that, yeah. I still want it to be tidy though and not look like a beater. So I'll be putting the plastics back in for the side of the interior, sills, centre console, door trims, dash, although it will have a bare floor, no carpet, a cage, harnesses. No plastics in the boot, no rear seats, either a single racing seat or a passenger one also. Outside will look stock still, just replacing the SSR wheels with Enkei RPF1s and semi slicks. Will be cutting a slot in my front bumper for the tow strap. Eventually a front lip and splitter. On the inside of my bonnet the scoop will be blanked off. Playing with the idea of an ST184 bonnet with a large vent for a radiator exhaust, but might look at getting a carbon group A bonnet (genuine ones are like hen's teeth). Bigger brakes. That's the extent of it for now. Later on if I get more serious it may get a fuel cell so I can make a diffuser and rear wing, but for that I'd need a car trailer and de-register the thing and make it a dedicated car. That's my current vision for it.

I'll be dropping the tank soon in order to remove the fuel pump so I can replace it. At the same time I'll be checking out what fuel lines I need to replace to ensure the rear of the car at least is E85 compliant. That way, when I decide to run it, I'll only need to focus on the things in the engine bay.
Sounds like a long but really fun journey! And you've really thought it all out, which is impressive! I'm assuming you're not using this thing daily at the moment?

The nice thing about a second racing seat is the obvious - take someone else on a track or race day with you - which is why I'm on the hunt for a good pair of seats that don't cost the earth.

Yours will look sweet on RPF1's. Any idea which semi-slicks you're going to go for?

I didn't mind the Federal 595 RS-Rs I've had on there so maybe the new version of them. I'm lucky in that I've never had to daily this car. There is no way I would have done as much to it if I had to do that. I'm an industrial electrician so I have a company supplied work vehicle that I can use for personal use as well. Makes it pretty easy. I do feel a little sad selling the SSRs, they look so good, but they don't fit big brakes, are a little heavy and I want to go a little wider. The RPF1s will look good, I agree. I've always liked them. Just plain silver, too.

Inspiration shot:
IMG_0686_zps32572962.jpg

Other option which I'm actually being more and more tempted by is the Gram Lights 57DR:
57dr_gunblue.jpg

I can get that in a 17x9 and run a 255 tire all round.
Gram Lights. All day. Every day.

I want some like that in white for my E46, but was thinking TE37s in white.

Agree, the Gram Lights are a better looking design of wheel, not sure how that grey would go on your car though, do they come in different colours?
BTW, let me know a tyre size, I can price Federals for you. You never know, I might be in the market.:crazy:

I've actually decided against the Gram Lights. I would have to order from the US, makes it expensive when needing to pay all that freight. RPF1s are cheap, light, easily available off the shelf from a local Australian dealer for 60 bucks delivery! They look great and I think the brake clearance is also better than on the Gram Lights. So I've decided on 17x9 Enkei RPF1s. I think they make for a perfect track rim.

Available in either matte black or silver for the same price. I'd love to go with the matte black, but I think it would be too dark on my car. So I'll likely go with silver.

RPF1Silver-550x550.jpg

As for tires, actually yes I was planning on going with Federal semi slicks again, I ran the 595 RS-Rs before and I liked them. Was looking at the 595 RS-RR (the new one) in a 235/40/17.

I have a guy coming to look at my SSRs this weekend, the price I'm asking for will more than cover the RPF1s but I'm likely not going to buy these for a while. Not a lot of point when the car is going to be up on stands for a while, while I work on the rest of the car.

I think they'll look pretty nice on your car in silver. Matte black would look odd against the deep red...

I've heard good things about the Feds. Loads of people here go for Toyo 888's, but they're pretty pricey. I was contemplating Nankangs for my first set of track day tyres, because 255/35/R18's are damn expensive tyres to tear apart on a couple track days!

I think they'll look pretty nice on your car in silver. Matte black would look odd against the deep red...

I've heard good things about the Feds. Loads of people here go for Toyo 888's, but they're pretty pricey. I was contemplating Nankangs for my first set of track day tyres, because 255/35/R18's are damn expensive tyres to tear apart on a couple track days!
Because it's going to be a brand new setup and I'm going to have to experiment with camber etc I figure I'm better off running a cheaper tire that I know works ok than blowing big money on better semis. Advan A050s would be the ducks nuts but would just be wasted on my car as it's still in development really.
What stud pattern does the ST185 have? I'm reading 5x100 or is it 5x114.3?
It's 5x100.

Ha! It's direct off their own current website when you click on the link.
http://enkei.com/shop/racing/rpf1/

That's good you can get the size you want. I spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out what size wheel and tyre would fit the MR2. Is it easy to get wheels and tyres for the ST185?

It used to be quite difficult, but then the 86 came along and suddenly the support for 5x100 wheels increased a lot! It took me a long time to find the wheels I wanted when I originally bought the SSRs. Because they were a special order from Japan I didn't push the boundaries in what I thought would fit, but I'm confident now that the 9 inch rims will fit. They will stick out about 15mm more than my current wheels do, but with a 40 profile tire the rolling diameter will actually decrease slightly which will help with clearance to the outer guard even though it'll be wider overall with the 235 tire.

This is the clearance with my current wheels at full lock in the front
DSC_0229_zpszclt8du6.jpg

This is my clearance on the back to the suspension
DSC_0226_zpsxhqtvt1u.jpg

And this is the clearance to the guard at the back (static ride height obviously)
DSC_0227_zpsuvumtxqq.jpg

Don't mind the junk in the background that I stripped out of the car lol.

So that's with an 8 inch wheel with an offset of +37. So a 9 inch wheel will be 12.5 mm out on each side at the same offset, but as I'm going +35, it will be 10.5 on the inside and 14.5 on the outside.

It used to be quite difficult, but then the 86 came along and suddenly the support for 5x100 wheels increased a lot! It took me a long time to find the wheels I wanted when I originally bought the SSRs. Because they were a special order from Japan I didn't push the boundaries in what I thought would fit, but I'm confident now that the 9 inch rims will fit. They will stick out about 15mm more than my current wheels do, but with a 40 profile tire the rolling diameter will actually decrease slightly which will help with clearance to the outer guard even though it'll be wider overall with the 235 tire.
That makes sense. The GT86 is a well supported car and having the 5x100 stud pattern vs the normal 5x114.3 typical JDM tuner car would force manufactures to make them to fit. Good for your cause.

15mm is quite a bit. When I went from my BBS RG097 to the Advan RG-D the rear wheel went out 47.5mm and the front was still 27.1mm further out. But as I was putting on tyres with a small amount of stretch the tyres didn't go out as far as the wheel did.

I think it is going to look good. RPF1s are very light and sell for a good price. At $1450 AUD that's a steal! I paid considerable more for my RGDs :sly:

Yeah my SSRs were more than double that lol. I just bolted a wheel on front and back now that the car is raised up again just to double check clearances. The back is no problem at all, the front, I can barely get my finger in between the spring and the wheel. People have done it, but I fear to do it they would have needed to adjust the camber or run a 5mm spacer or something, and both of those things I don't want to do, I don't want to make a compromise that could negatively impact the handling (I've ran more neg camber before, it feels like crap) just for the sake of running wider wheels. So maybe I may not go with 9s after all.

Coilovers make it harder to fit wide wheels on the front of the SW20 and it seems to be the came with the ST185. I have 8mm clearance in the front with my standard struts and 30mm in the rear. Running a 235 on an 8" wheel is a good size. Running that on a 9 gives quite a bit of stretch. Well on a 17" with 40 profile it does.

17x8+35 would be a good size to go with as that brings the wheel and tyre back in from the guard and spring. $50 cheaper too.

Yeah I think I'll end up doing that. I still had plenty of grip with the 215s anyway.
Yeah 215 is a good size but 235 will give you a bit more grip but maybe make it harder to turn in with more rubber.
I know my 215/40R17s in the front stick very well on the street and the 245/40R17 in the rear are just massive for an NA car with around 100whp.
Your car factory is 180kg more than mine with a big heavy engine up front. Quite different cars but with similar styling and similar drive train components being the 3S platform.

Yeah 215 is a good size but 235 will give you a bit more grip but maybe make it harder to turn in with more rubber.
I know my 215/40R17s in the front stick very well on the street and the 245/40R17 in the rear are just massive for an NA car with around 100whp.
Your car factory is 180kg more than mine with a big heavy engine up front. Quite different cars but with similar styling and similar drive train components being the 3S platform.
I think the 215s are a good size currently, I had plenty of front grip, so yeah I might stick with 215s. I worry about larger tires on the skinnier room bagging out too much and making the car feel a bit floaty. Ideally yeah I'd love a 235 or 245 on a 9 inch rim, but front clearance is going to be a drama.

But anyhow, it's still worth changing the rims even if they are the same size. They are lighter so less unsprung weight, and also they will accomodate big brakes for when I upgrade them. I'm selling my wheels with the tires. I could keep the 595 RSRs I have on two of them and just buy two more, but it's a hassle getting them unmounted, and I'd like to try the new 595 RSRR all around anyway.

In other news, kept going with the weight reduction. Removed the fan and ducting from under the dash completely. I never used it to demist the windows so I'm not worried about that. Also removed the speaker pods from behind the dash panels. 10kgs all up. Makes a lot more space under there too so I'm going to redo my wiring and mount the ecu in a better place and just try to simplify things.

So that's 10 under the dash gone, 8 from the sound deadening, I estimate the drivers seat at around 23kgs, same with the passenger seat. Carpet maybe a kilo or 2. Rear seats maybe another 15. So that's about 80 kgs. Now add back in the lightweight seat, and then also the roll cage which I don't think will be too heavy and it's a significant weight loss.

Then obviously the change of wheels, the loss of the water to air system which was quite heavy compared to a FMIC..

Should be significantly lighter while still keeping it presentable.

IMG_20170226_190011_686_zpszkbbsbpb.jpg

Finally got my ass in to gear and dropped the rear subframe so I can install the rest of the solid diff mounting kit. I'm going to drop the driveshaft too and look at getting the centre bearings freshened up. With no sound deadening and interior any vibration will be very noticeable.

Back