Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Nope, you gotta watch your speed in pitlane. It's all manual. We let you map the Pit Speed Limiter button too. There is an option to do auto pitstop and let the AI drive you in/out of pitlane if that's not your thing
Will there be a disadvantage of using auto pit?

Safety Car? FCY? Code 60?

Nope, you gotta watch your speed in pitlane. It's all manual. We let you map the Pit Speed Limiter button too. There is an option to do auto pitstop and let the AI drive you in/out of pitlane if that's not your thing

Awesome. I can't wait. I used to be a huge sim racer in the NR2003 days but didn't gravitate to Iracing because of the price and I was starting a family at the time but If a few cars come that I'm hopeful far (you probably know what I'm talking about), I will defiantly start up a league running multiple series for PCARS 2. I haven't seen anything about it that hasn't impressed me so far. Ok another 'little thing' that would make it great.. If someone blows their engine in front of me, will oil be on the track (and make it slippery) and the windshield?

@IanBell GT4 class. I love it, I think it's a better class than GT3, will we see around the same number of cars in the class, or more, or less? No specifics needed, just wondering if there's changes coming in that class.

@IanBell GT4 class. I love it, I think it's a better class than GT3, will we see around the same number of cars in the class, or more, or less? No specifics needed, just wondering if there's changes coming in that class.
Going by the manufacturers we know, possible additions could be the Porsche GT4 Caymans and the Nissan 370z.

No need to be a jackass. He was trying to help.
Yeah thanks tips ! Horses mouth is better than the horses 🤬 if you know what I mean.
Yeah thanks Jake,so your going to answer for them? I'm pretty sure we can all read the devs posts.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing a Toyota GT86 and a Chevrolet Camaro for GT4 racing in the game.

EDIT: Apparently the GT86 is already in PCARS 1. I just never bought the DLC

From: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/13/project-cars-2-taking-the-fight-to-forza-gran-turismo?page=2

"The competitive racing licence will track how you race in Project CARS 2 and is made up of three elements: your racecraft (basically how professional you are, and it will be impacted when you’re involved in accidents, cut the track, and ignore rules or flags), your ranking (an Elo rating determined by your performances against other players), and finally an indicator of your seniority based on how long you’ve been playing."

This is so important. How far along is this feature?

Just yesterday, I witnessed a fellow driving backwards along Spa Circuit, taking out 4-5 racers in the process. It was sickening! Would the series ever consider a 'ghost' mode online, in which there is no contact? I recall Gran Turismo having implemented a feature like that. I also realize that the collision physics are being re-done, which is quite exciting!; In the original title, the slightest contact with another player was simply a disaster as both racers would veer off-course...

I can see how this ghost mode could detract from "real" racing, though. Thoughts on ghost mode? And maybe you could elaborate further on the online license system...

I understand your fear of potential crashers all over the world. But if you have all time ghosting its pointless to race, cause you can run through every car on the track, staying on your line. wehre is the competition than?

I understand your fear of potential crashers all over the world. But if you have all time ghosting its pointless to race, cause you can run through every car on the track, staying on your line. wehre is the competition than?

I think he means that the car will ghost out when driving in the wrong direction.

I think he means that the car will ghost out when driving in the wrong direction.

Gran Turismo had both functions, I believe. I was specifically referring to an all ghost mode. I completely understand how that would detract from a simulation game, though. Then again, a large group of folks might prefer that in their matchmaking preferences.

To elaborate, it's nearly impossible to have a completely 'clean' race...accidents happen and it's part of the sport. I do, however, love the idea of an online license that places you in a class where racers are as "good" or "clean" as you. I'm just curious to know if it ever crossed their minds or if they plan to have a setting where collisions are off completely (or a more predictive-based system where sudden sharp movements are ghosted).

Last edited:
Gran Turismo had both functions, I believe. I was specifically referring to an all ghost mode. I completely understand how that would detract from a simulation game, though. Then again, a large group of folks might prefer that in their matchmaking preferences.

To elaborate, it's nearly impossible to have a completely 'clean' race...accidents happen and it's part of the sport. I do, however, love the idea of an online license that places you in a class where racers are as "good" or "clean" as you. I'm curious to know if it ever crossed their minds to have a mode where collisions are off completely.

a completely ghostet game mode is called TIMETRAIL. You can add 3 ghosts to compete.

Yeah thanks tips ! Horses mouth is better than the horses 🤬 if you know what I mean.
Yeah thanks Jake,so your going to answer for them? I'm pretty sure we can all read the devs posts.
Just to clarify, i've just answered with what we already know with speculation. It's more specifics than Ian/American will answer with at all because all they can probably answer with is "there will be an increase." Plus, they have lives outside of forum interaction and we want to make it as useful as possible. They can't say anything specifically.

Combining this with some previous info from Ian that penalties would not be immediate like for example the 5s slowdown in PC1 but that the driver can choose when to take the penalty, I assume there will be drive-through penalties now? Will there also be penalties where a penalty time will be added at the end of the race? Or will there be penalties for the following race when you are in a championship?

Also, what bothers me a little in PC1 is when you cut a corner (not on purpose) you instantly get a message from your race engineer that the race director gave you a warning. Would it be possible to implement a small delay here? I guess in reality this info comes possibly 30 seconds or even minutes after the corner cutting itself. It would be nice if in PC2 it would come at a delay as well, but I would make the delay 10-30 seconds max.

Combining this with some previous info from Ian that penalties would not be immediate like for example the 5s slowdown in PC1 but that the driver can choose when to take the penalty, I assume there will be drive-through penalties now? Will there also be penalties where a penalty time will be added at the end of the race? Or will there be penalties for the following race when you are in a championship?

Also, what bothers me a little in PC1 is when you cut a corner (not on purpose) you instantly get a message from your race engineer that the race director gave you a warning. Would it be possible to implement a small delay here? I guess in reality this info comes possibly 30 seconds or even minutes after the corner cutting itself. It would be nice if in PC2 it would come at a delay as well, but I would make the delay 10-30 seconds max.

I posted a gameplay video I found says so that showed this. It was quickly taken down since it violated NDA. The driver went a little too wide at the very least corner at Monza, and they received a message saying the stewards are reviewing the action. By the time they finished the lap, they had received a one second penalty to be added to their total time. The NDA violation probably had nothing to do with the penalty however :P.

I posted a gameplay video I found says so that showed this. It was quickly taken down since it violated NDA. The driver went a little too wide at the very least corner at Monza, and they received a message saying the stewards are reviewing the action. By the time they finished the lap, they had received a one second penalty to be added to their total time. The NDA violation probably had nothing to do with the penalty however :P.

Sounds like a good track extension penalty. Surprised more real life series don't adopt these types of incremental/reasonable penalties.

It really is a problem to be penalized unfairly.
As a good Brazilian I am already used to it, I live in a country where the rules work the other way around.
In pcars1, when you cut a corner (not on purpose) then take the foot off the accelerator is not applied penalty but I'm not sure if I'm right, someone to confirm?

It really is a problem to be penalized unfairly.
As a good Brazilian I am already used to it, I live in a country where the rules work the other way around.
In pcars1, when you cut a corner (not on purpose) then take the foot off the accelerator is not applied penalty but I'm not sure if I'm right, someone to confirm?

From my experience, if I slow down a bit after exceeding track limits, I'm not penalized. You're penalized mainly for gaining an advantage.

Ian,

Would it be possible to explain a little more about the rating system? Specifically I am concerned about certain aspects that may effect my ability to play with friends in a public lobby.
I am never the fastest racer among my friends but I am fiercely devoted to clean racing. When I do make a mistake and it effects other drivers I allow them to repass me and get on with racing. I fear the rating system may start to filter me out of races that I want attend with friends because I am not as fast as them or have made a few mistakes here or there.

Thanks for any response,

You can always set up a private lobby.

From my experience, if I slow down a bit after exceeding track limits, I'm not penalized. You're penalized mainly for gaining an advantage.

Well, I asked to confirm because even playing it more than 2 years ago I'm not sure about everything this incredible game offers and how exactly it works and when someone appears questioning something like the penalty system stating that it does not work correctly, I get confused and I think: "Only I take my foot off the accelerator"

Well, I always realized that getting off the accelerator was not applied penalty because the rule is simple: no advantage, no penalty.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I am in high hopes of the new physics being countersteer friendly. When racing, I have to be so tame on throttle and car movement aswell as tune in a ton of understeer. I find myself constantly trying to prevent oversteer from happening simply because it's almost impossible to be on throttle and catch oversteer situations. I am however very excited to see how this platform evolves, I feel that if this is done properly it will be the premier sim racer on console. Polyphony digital moves entirely too slow and kunos simulations is far too limited at the moment to be the game/Sim racer that I need it to be. In the off seasons I spend a lot of time Sim racing and definitely would like to be as aggressive as I am in real life behind the wheel.

I am in high hopes of the new physics being countersteer friendly. When racing, I have to be so tame on throttle and car movement aswell as tune in a ton of understeer. I find myself constantly trying to prevent oversteer from happening simply because it's almost impossible to be on throttle and catch oversteer situations. I am however very excited to see how this platform evolves, I feel that if this is done properly it will be the premier sim racer on console. Polyphony digital moves entirely too slow and kunos simulations is far too limited at the moment to be the game/Sim racer that I need it to be. In the off seasons I spend a lot of time Sim racing and definitely would like to be as aggressive as I am in real life behind the wheel.

From the sounds of it, this is what they worked on the most physics wise so it'll be way better

@IanBell @The_American are the physics devs looking to add multiple settings to the hybrid race cars similar to Kunos' Porsche 919 and Ferrari SF15-T? I absolutely love driving those cars in that game, but I'd prefer to see that level of detail in my favorite series.

Back