Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
In the current game tuning Camber seems to be a bit of a dark science whereby you go by feel as much or more than data. And it has been argued that it is possibly a useless tool in the current game to begin with.

Will tuning Camber be more exacting in pC2?

Good question. We actually had a bug at the core of the tyre model in the first game that allowed people to run zero camber and get faster laps for short bursts. This is one of the reasons why we reworked the tyre model so much for pCARS2. So that 'camber exploit' is now fixed and with that fix we're getting much better temperature variations across the inner, middle and outer portions of the tyre. So you have that information available at all times to allow you to tune the camber perfectly per car/track.

If our worst fears are realised then at least CronusMAX Plus has our backs. That thing is legit. I've been using it with my Fanatec CSR-E and PS Pro on Assetto Corsa and it feels totally lag-free with full FFB. It emulates a G29, not a joypad.
Thanks I have one of those i was just wondering where the support was for it when it comes to this game. Thanks Ian for answering our questions and i can't wait to try out pcars2

Masscot
If our worst fears are realised then at least CronusMAX Plus has our backs. That thing is legit. I've been using it with my Fanatec CSR-E and PS Pro on Assetto Corsa and it feels totally lag-free with full FFB. It emulates a G29, not a joypad.

Thanks I have one of those i was just wondering where the support was for it when it comes to this game. Thanks Ian for answering our questions and i can't wait to try out pcars2
I really appreciate the feedback from players who have a Chronusmax. I have been on the fence with regard to it as it isn't strictly necessary for me at this point. However, I think GT Sport is going to need it. Sorry to the community for posting a little off topic but want to give a shout out to the Chronusmax users.

Regarding controller (DS4,X1) inputs:

Because not everyone racer has the physical space or funds for a proper wheel and stand, what can controller users expect this time around? How are the inputs tested and perfected (more options in the customization menu)? A lot of controller gamers want to race the best they can, and we never wish to use it as an excuse if we lose. Nonetheless, in the sequel, we definitely expect to be on an even more balanced playing field while competing against wheel users.

P.S. It would be awesome to see what each driver is using online: wheel vs controller. The symbols were implemented for the time trials; would love to see it added to online rooms, too!

Last edited:
Regarding controller (DS4,X1) inputs:

Because not everyone racer has the physical space or funds for a proper wheel and stand, what can controller users expect this time around? How are the inputs tested and perfected (more options in the customization menu)? A lot of controller gamers want to race the best they can, and we never wish to use it as an excuse if we lose. Nonetheless, in the sequel, we definitely expect to be on an even more balanced playing field while competing against wheel users.

P.S. It would be awesome to see what each driver is using online: wheel vs controller. The symbols were implemented for the time trials; would love to see it added to online rooms, too!
Ian addressed controller optimization on February 8th. It's in the OP.

Her work on the first Project CARS soundtrack was nothing short of hypnotising.

Great to see your increased presence here @IanBell; I'm going to try to be vague for you here...

Roughly speaking, what percentage of the car and track lists will be taken up by Rallycross content? I'm absolutely elated with the inclusion of the category in PCars2!

It's a HUGE game so probably 5% as a rough guestimate.

I'm still confused about the number of tracks at release because everywhere says 60 but on the website I can only count 50 track icons?

So many years of watching Best motoring, 6 car races with japanese production cars (with the occasional euro cars), I'd love to see to classic 90s' early 2000's japanese sportcars including the Nissan Skyline GTR R34, Honda NSX (type R preferable), Toyota Supra, Mazda rx7, Mitsubishi EVO (any between VI to IX) and Subaru WRX STi. This is something the GT series had and did well, thought couple it with your AI and it would be sweet!

Add to that some japanese tracks like Tsukuba circuit, Sugo, Suzuka (real) and Fuji speedway 90s version.

Hello Ian,
I have some questions about project cars 2.
The first concerns circuits. We now know that there will be Long beach, and this is great news. Will there still be street circuits like Detroit, Vila Real, Baku, Macau ....? Other point : i must say i like Bristol, Yas Marina, Shangai, Mexico and Paul Ricard (A 2018 F1 track) Any chance to see them in PC2 ?
Then, on the AI, I find it rather good on PC1 except open wheel (Formula A, B ...). Indeed, the IA behaves as if it were Touring Car (collisions, trajectories "surprising" ...). Can we expect an improvement in PC2? And if so, was there a specific coding? Same for the Stockcar in Ovals who could not come to PC1 because of the AI?
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Ian i have seen much talk about how pcars 2 is the most realistic simulation in the promo interviews as we did in the first, but you probably know that the sim community are not going to be convinced by simple rhetoric. Is there any way we can see evidence of this with demonstrations & measurements in comparison to a real car behaviour?

Hello to all and special thanks to Ian for the valuable informations here , great topic so far.
Some specific questions about the private lobbies possible enhancements (on consoles at least) :
- Will it be possible to customize the starting grids (ie set a grid starting slot for every human player)
- Will it be possible to make changes on the lobby such as the AI difficulty (and not be obliged to start a new lobby)
- Will it be possible te restart the race easily (some of us still have the tendancy to be over optimistic un the first corners )

I also hope that the inclusion of the new legendary brands will help to provide 70s and 80s endurance cars....

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Ian i have seen much talk about how pcars 2 is the most realistic simulation in the promo interviews as we did in the first, but you probably know that the sim community are not going to be convinced by simple rhetoric. Is there any way we can see evidence of this with demonstrations & measurements in comparison to a real car behaviour?
PC folkds can still buy the game on Steam, test it less than 2 hours, and if they're still not convinced, ask for a refund from Steam.
Console players will probably have to wait for other players opinion.

Comparisons with real life have been done again and again by simcade titles, even getting professional drivers opinion to support them. It didn't make them a pure sim however.

Talking about tire models, now if the tire wear gets to 100%, will the tire still run desinflated or will it disintegrate through the process??

If I remember correctly from the WMD days, the tire wear meter only tracks the tread on the tire, and the tread only counts for 50% of the entire life of the tire. This is why you can continue to get some grip from the tire after the meter is completely gray. The pits will call you in when you get closer to the end of the tire's life, not the tread.

If I remember correctly from the WMD days, the tire wear meter only tracks the tread on the tire, and the tread only counts for 50% of the entire life of the tire. This is why you can continue to get some grip from the tire after the meter is completely gray. The pits will call you in when you get closer to the end of the tire's life, not the tread.

This is exactly (dare I say..... 100%) correct.

Hello Ian,

Quick question, when we do online driver swaps will that make the pitstops longer?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Ian,

Quick question, when we do online driver swaps will that make the pitstops longer?

Thanks in advance!
From having a quick look at the OP, something along those lines was asked regarding driver swaps on the 11th February. Apparently, it's a post release update and would make sense it makes pitstops last longer because that's how it's done IRL.

Hello to all and special thanks to Ian for the valuable informations here , great topic so far.
Some specific questions about the private lobbies possible enhancements (on consoles at least) :
- Will it be possible to customize the starting grids (ie set a grid starting slot for every human player)
- Will it be possible to make changes on the lobby such as the AI difficulty (and not be obliged to start a new lobby)
- Will it be possible te restart the race easily (some of us still have the tendancy to be over optimistic un the first corners )

I also hope that the inclusion of the new legendary brands will help to provide 70s and 80s endurance cars....

Thanks in advance for the feedback
I would also like to know if restarts are possible. There have been any number of times when we have had a full lobby of racers that have made it through qualy and practice then we lose one or more due to faulty connection at the start of the race. We have had to set up a new room, invite everybody and then line up on the grid in qualy order after the green light. Would really like to see a restart option that puts everyone back in their respective order for the race. I realize this is hard to accomplish for those that dropped from the lobby but all the same it would be great to have something to work with.

I would also like to know if restarts are possible. There have been any number of times when we have had a full lobby of racers that have made it through qualy and practice then we lose one or more due to faulty connection at the start of the race. We have had to set up a new room, invite everybody and then line up on the grid in qualy order after the green light. Would really like to see a restart option that puts everyone back in their respective order for the race. I realize this is hard to accomplish for those that dropped from the lobby but all the same it would be great to have something to work with.
Or a custom grid option for private races?

Hello Ian,

Thanks in advance!
Driver changes and any repairs will make the pitstop longer.

There are 4 main components to pitstop duration:
1. Tire changes
2. Fuel refill (and we have different fuel filling rates per vehicle class, I think Indycar is the fastest)
3. Damage repairs (these were magically instantaneous in Project Cars 1 if you remember, each kind of damage repair has its own time so it all adds up or we might just pick the maximum damage repair for this category, I don't think we have decided yet.)
4. Driver changes

Additionally, if you do not hit your marks correctly your team will need to reposition your car and that will add a little time.

Driver changes and any repairs will make the pitstop longer.

There are 4 main components to pitstop duration:
1. Tire changes
2. Fuel refill (and we have different fuel filling rates per vehicle class, I think Indycar is the fastest)
3. Damage repairs (these were magically instantaneous in Project Cars 1 if you remember, each kind of damage repair has its own time so it all adds up or we might just pick the maximum damage repair for this category, I don't think we have decided yet.)
4. Driver changes

Additionally, if you do not hit your marks correctly your team will need to reposition your car and that will add a little time.

Wait. Didn't realise manual pitstops were in game. Great!

Will the organizer of online championships be able to hand-pick all of the allowed cars? Even for multi-class? Looking at PCARS 1 for example the 2011 Audi R18 TDI and the 2014 Audi R18 e-tron quattro never raced together. The first one raced in LMP1 class, the second in LMP1-H when the LMP1 class was split into hybrid and non-hybrid from 2014 onward. Yet in PC1 they are both just in LMP1 prototype category (which is understandable since there are only a handful of LMP1 & LMP1-H cars in the game).

But it would be nice if a race/championship director could handpick which cars are allowed, or allow entire classes if he wants to do so.

EDIT - also, can a championship director/organizer limit the maximum amount of cars for 1 specific model? Let's say I want to organize a GT3 championship and let's say the game has 10 different types of GT3 cars, to keep it fun and diversified, could I for example say that for a 24-car race there can be maximum 3 cars of one type? (e.g. max 3 times 2016 Mercedes-AMG GT3 cars)

Last edited:
Comparisons with real life have been done again and again by simcade titles, even getting professional drivers opinion to support them. It didn't make them a pure sim however.
I agree that telemetry comparisons and testimonies from professional drivers don't exactly prove anything. But I agree with @nrosko that it would be good for SMS to elaborate upon details of the physics and various simulations, not to convince the skeptics, but for people who would want to know about those things but have not been following the game closely like we do in this forum. I don't think many people knew how much PCARS1 had going on under the hood.

I think it would be great to have a brief video showing off some of the details like the atmospheric modelling and volumetric throttle simulation, or an overview of all the components that track temperature and wear. Particularly the things that are uncommon or unprecedented among sims, like parts of LiveTrack 3.0 and the dynamic surfaces.

If SMS had the resources to do a real life comparison video like Enthusia's Data Comparison trailer, that could be nifty too.

@IanBell or @The_American

Speaking of telemetry.... It was mentioned and confirmed earlier that 3rd party apps would still be supported via UDP. One of the small complaints I have had with regards to Project CARS and the UDP data is the lack of available Car Performance data in the telemetry feeds. Specifically, information regarding Ride Height, Suspension Movements, etc. All of the data needed to be able to tune the car.

Will there be more information sent to the UDP stream in Project CARS 2? Post session data analysis of the car's performance is as critical to effective tuning as the lap time and feel of the car is.

Back