Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Hi Ian... I remember reading in the first news items when pCars 2 was announced that "banned race cars" were going to be in the game. To me this meant cars like the 1970 Chaparral 2J, 1978 Brabham BT46B and the 6 wheeled Tyrrell P34 were all possible entries. Can you shed any light on the inclusion of any of these amazing vehicles? Will the game still be adding cars of that description? Thanks Ian... And I love pCars and can't wait for pCars2!

To be fair, the P34 was never banned itself. It actually competed, relatively competitively, for two full seasons. It was never banned, it just didn't provide the winning formula that Tyrrell had hoped it would, so they brought a conventional design to the 1978 season. March tested two versions of a 6 wheeled F1 car, the 2-4-0, during the '76 and '77 seasons, with four rear wheels, all driven, for extra traction, but they were never raced strangely.

Williams, in the early '80s, built a 6 wheeled prototype, the FW07D, with a March-like 4 driven rear wheel concept, but Williams took it to a whole new level. By then, all teams were running "ground effect" cars, with side pods full of venturi tunnels, but Williams found that by using four driven rear wheels, they could put the smaller front wheel sized wheels on the rear axles, which allowed the venturi tunnels to run all the way to the rear, without needing a cutout for the rear wheels. This meant they could run skirts all the way to the back of the car, significantly increasing downforce.

They built their car for the following year, the FW08B, around these concepts, with full-length venturis and skirts, and four driven rear wheels. When testing these cars in the wet, they also discovered that they could run the rear-most pair of wheels with slicks, as the front pair of rear wheels would clear enough water from the track surface for them to do so. This would have given them an enormous advantage in wet races. But even in the dry, with four driven wheels, smaller, less drag-inducing rear wheels, and longer venturis sealed by full length skirts, Williams would have utterly dominated 1983 if the FIA didn't step in. The FIA had the car banned before it could race though, by banning four wheel drive, mandating cars have a total of 4 wheels, banning skirts, and mandating completely flat floors.

With all that in mind: The only 6 wheeled F1 car that was actually banned in F1 was the FW08B. Tyrrell ran their 6 wheeled concepts unsuccessfully for two seasons before abandoning the idea on their own, and March never raced their 6 wheelers for whatever reason, despite the FIA being totally fine with 6 wheeled cars in the years where March was testing their prototypes.

I do share your sentiment though: I'd love to see some banned race cars like the 2J, BT46B, FW08B, and the Lotus 88, appear in a racing sim. That would be epic!

Sorry for the off-topic banter guys, just getting a little excited for this.

One of my favourite feature in Project Cars was the ability to race with a friend online while filling the gaps with IA, is this still possible in PC2? Are you considering the possibility to create full championship to be raced in "co-op"?

4. Yes, most of this was in pC1 already

5. We have invisible zones and you get warnings/penalties if you drive into them so drive clean

6. Yeah good multichannel now, you can hear which tire is locking up for example, we got that separated out nicely now.

7. Always want to keep VR a barf-free experience.

Nice! Thanks for the reply.

Have the recommended performance requirements changed significantly since pCARS 1 release?

What about graphics options for those with super beefy video cards?

@IanBell quick question did you change the font in multiplayer of the "racer name " above the car? It was so hard to see while driving and a sky background thank and the game is sounding and looking great @American

Last edited:
Sorry to be kind of asking the same question but it is slightly different. Even though you'll be stopping people from stealing the 3D models which is great, will the game read old style files that do not have the obfuscation so we can still create new ones and they are read by the game?

Ian,

Something that hasn't been talked about much, as it's a bit of a side thought.

I am a huge fan of PC1 musical score/mix. The opera vocals and guitar mix were fantastic.

Can we expect a similar style?

Project Cars 1 had lots of fantasy liveries which whilst well designed couldn't quite match the feeling of the driving with the real world designs for me. Will PCARS2 give a good selection of historically-accurate liveries for the anoraks like me?

/Off topic: I like the way the developers are getting involved with the community, they sound full of confidence with the game, it reminds me of Paul Rustchynsky with DriveClub
Hey, The American has stolen half of my thunder here :) Keep it up The American, I'm on a different time zone ;)

We are licensing (have licensed) a load of real liveries this time around. I'm not saying there won't be fantasy liveries at all, but enough real marks to make it seem more authentic.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/1...eview-racing-realism-amplified-to-new-heights

from the above link..."Tudor continues: "We've got the iconic manufacturers that were missing from the first game: they're now in it. We've got brand-new motorsports that are unannounced currently. But we can talk about IndyCar: we're now an officially licensed IndyCar Game."

just curious if you could elaborate on what being an 'official licensed Indycar game' means?

Yes, our Audio Director Dr Baysted writes and performs all of the music and his wife is the singer.

Her work on the first Project CARS soundtrack was nothing short of hypnotising.

Great to see your increased presence here @IanBell; I'm going to try to be vague for you here...

Roughly speaking, what percentage of the car and track lists will be taken up by Rallycross content? I'm absolutely elated with the inclusion of the category in PCars2!

@IanBell
I am wondering if there will be something akin to designation of which tune for which course you are currently looking at when you are tuning? In Project Cars there is no notation I have seen that tells me which tune is currently loaded, I know it stays with the last loaded tune settings but for which course I have zero idea.

While on tuning will there be an option to have your tune for a course either be selected upon heading to that course or the game giving you the option of choosing what setup you want to go with? I think this would help people who use different setups for different types of racing, say short races you have a short race setup for a certain track, you'd want that to pick that before you enter the lobby and be ready to go just in case you're short on time or for a medium or longer course you have a setup for that. As it is there is only one setup you can have per course, at least 3 would be a nice minimum.

Apologies if this was asked prior, I flipped through the others and saw no mention of it but I was speed reading.

@IanBell
Will we be able to save multiple setups for the same track? I always hated setting up a car for the rain, then having to go back and set it up for dry.

Hi Ian, loving this forum it really helps create a community spirit between the developer and the customer!...

3 questions:

1: In Project Cars 1 always loved the sound of the vehicles but it annoyed me that the car sounds on the roof and bonnet camera views was from the interior views and not the exterior chase cams, is this fixed in Project Cars 2?

2: Are there any plans to get more adventurous with car and class types? I used to love that in the original Colin McRae: DiRT game you could belt around small rallycross tracks in big cumbersome raid vehicles (Mitsubishi L200's, Defenders you know the score), it'd be great to see some 'just for the hell of it cars'.

3: Finally, are lesser known tracks on the cards? Personally I'd love to see smaller tracks like Thruxton, Knockhill and Tsukuba make an appearance.

Keep up the hard work :) Regards DAMNITIDIED.

XXI
Ian,

Something that hasn't been talked about much, as it's a bit of a side thought.

I am a huge fan of PC1 musical score/mix. The opera vocals and guitar mix were fantastic.

Can we expect a similar style?
I have a similar question..., apart of the original music, are you guys going to remix some real songs and make them like gladiator remixes?? Like on Shift 2, I really loved many of them

Wow, this is great on what I'm hearing with the custom grids!

@IanBell Is it possible to have "Custom grid" option on consoles? This is already possible on PC in Project Cars 1 via Mod tool. I didn't like that Project Cars Multi class option was mixing all GT Cars historic and modern, and there was no possibility to make LMP1, 2 and GTE cars grid. Custom Grid would be great to make interesting race settings like Brands vs races (Ferrari vs Mclaren for example) classic LeMans from 1998 or crazy option like: pass as many gokarts in Formula 1 car in one short lap ;) Or are there technical problems to achieve this?

Yes, you can pick the classes now. I've been doing WEC/IMSA style multi-class testing, works great. No mods needed.

Are you permitted to elaborate on this? If so, how many classes are we allowed to have on track? Are GT3 and GTE two separate selections?

Up to 4 classes. So i just finished an LMP1, P2, GTE, GT3 test today. Yeah GTE/LM and GT3 are separate classes. I think there's like 30 or more classes altogether.

Looks like pCARS 2 is something I'm looking forward to. But I have a question:

Will there be a new fantasy LMP1 car (e.g. Marek, RWD) that complies with, say, 2016 LMP1 regulations, and appear on pCARS 2? What about LMP2 - besides the Ginetta, are we getting the new Oreca 07 with Gibson engines (although it's a bit too new since that's 2017)? What about other LMP2 closed prototypes such as Onroak Ligier JS P2(17)?

Hi Ian, loving this forum it really helps create a community spirit between the developer and the customer!...

3 questions:

1: In Project Cars 1 always loved the sound of the vehicles but it annoyed me that the car sounds on the roof and bonnet camera views was from the interior views and not the exterior chase cams, is this fixed in Project Cars 2?

2: Are there any plans to get more adventurous with car and class types? I used to love that in the original Colin McRae: DiRT game you could belt around small rallycross tracks in big cumbersome raid vehicles (Mitsubishi L200's, Defenders you know the score), it'd be great to see some 'just for the hell of it cars'.

3: Finally, are lesser known tracks on the cards? Personally I'd love to see smaller tracks like Thruxton, Knockhill and Tsukuba make an appearance.

Keep up the hard work :) Regards DAMNITIDIED.

1. Very much so yes. Anything that creates a sound is now isolated in 3d space and you'll hear everything properly positioned and attenuated based on your 'head' position. Each tyre creates an individual 3d positioned skid sound for example.

2. I think for that we should probably look at making the definitive rally game. With proper 3d interactive surfaces, time of day, weather etc. Codies have had it a bit too easy in this area for too long now :)

3. Without giving away any specifics, yes :)

In pc1 when the engine lets go, the engineer references getting a tow. Will that now be a thing?
Which reminds me, will the sand traps work like the real world?

Good day Ian, thank you for availability.

I am a photo enthusiast, as well as being a mediocre driver.
Project CARS on consoles was very nice to see, but you could not do much photo.
The next chapter will be a real Phtoto mode? with the ability to move the camera freely and with a minimum of functionality?

I hope it is not already been asked in previous posts, thanks for any replies.

Sorry for the bad English

Good day Ian, thank you for availability.

I am a photo enthusiast, as well as being a mediocre driver.
Project CARS on consoles was very nice to see, but you could not do much photo.
The next chapter will be a real Phtoto mode? with the ability to move the camera freely and with a minimum of functionality?

I hope it is not already been asked in previous posts, thanks for any replies.

Sorry for the bad English

We're still working on this. I can say it will either be epic or 'acceptable', depending on how some late plans transpire.

Hey, The American has stolen half of my thunder here :) Keep it up The American, I'm on a different time zone ;)

We are licensing (have licensed) a load of real liveries this time around. I'm not saying there won't be fantasy liveries at all, but enough real marks to make it seem more authentic.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, that sounds very good. 👍

No, sand traps working like real world is exceedingly boring in the real world (your favourite river beached!) and even more so in a game.
That's a shame, would it be possible for there to be an option for the player to switch them on? Although I'm probably the minority here, so I understand if it'll never happen.
One thing I hated in the original was the lack of a preview of lobbies, there was nothing worse than needing to enter each lobby to see what weather, assists, laps, etc the host has set. Will there now be a proper way to get that info at a glance?
Thank you for all the information you have shared so far. It makes the wait feel just that bit longer!

@IanBell

Thanks for an amazing game that PC1 was. My Q is simple: What improvements have been made in regards to UI? Specificaly can we change FOV, transmission type ect right from the pause menu? Also, better car selection screen would be nice :)

Thanks

Back