Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
What are the maximum amount of AI opponents for the PS4/consoles? I know for the last game 44 could work on some tracks.

giphy.gif

You know what a vaveman is right? ;)

Let's try this. Fast forward to the replay -

Here's AC. The car sounds like it is in open space. The doppler is I believe the effect put on the engine when at a distance.

Huge difference

Great comparison! I've known exactly what you were talking about all along. This is by no means a deal breaker for me, but Assetto's replays are kinda goosebumps inducing. Assetto gives more of a feeling like you're standing in one place, and the car's approaching, goes past, and then moves further away. PCars is more like you're following the car around track, overhead.

Still, not a big deal to me. On the whole, it's a tiny aspect of what another game did differently (notice I didn't say better :sly:).

I suspected a typo. A quick Google search seems to confirm my suspicion. We all make mistakes. :)

Let's try this. Fast forward to the replay

I hear what you mean now. To be honest, it sounds to me that in PC the sound doesn't drop off as much with distance. It definitely does drop off, but not enough or more precisely not the degree you and I would expect.

I was wondering, in pc2 you can move the seat position with the same method of the first game, directly in game, or is there a different system? In pcars1 i actually find it quite uncomfortable to assign the buttons and do it in game, i'd prefer doing it in the pause menu like in Assetto corsa.

Great comparison! I've known exactly what you were talking about all along. This is by no means a deal breaker for me, but Assetto's replays are kinda goosebumps inducing. Assetto gives more of a feeling like you're standing in one place, and the car's approaching, goes past, and then moves further away. PCars is more like you're following the car around track, overhead.

Still, not a big deal to me. On the whole, it's a tiny aspect of what another game did differently (notice I didn't say better :sly:).

Deal breaker no way. I cant even watch full replays on AC(console) and non at all with MP. So Im not complaining. I just wanted to ask.

Based on these recent vids SMS has exceeded my expectations beyond belief. That new R8 nords vid is amazing.

Im 40. The sim scene has never been healthier on console.

I suspected a typo. A quick Google search seems to confirm my suspicion. We all make mistakes. :)

I hear what you mean now. To be honest, it sounds to me that in PC the sound doesn't drop off as much with distance. It definitely does drop off, but not enough or more precisely not the degree you and I would expect.

I was busting on my typo.

Man, pcars is looking so good. The broadcast style presentation is great. Was just curious about where they were with the sound.

Question for @IanBell . Regarding PS4 online racing; Is there currently a plan for maintaining PCars 1 servers after PCars 2 is launched? If so, how long will PCars 1 users have access to online racing?

Hi there, subscribed on this website again after 5 years as I absolutely can't contain my excitement for this game so I had to.

I had lots of questions regarding pC2 but most of them have been answered through gameplay and menu vids, thank y'all for those :)

Just like @ThunderLips I'm a bit concerned about those replay sounds as I'm such a sucker for replays. I at least hope you can crank up the opponent's volume in replays too because yeah, you can almost only hear you car, even if it's at the other end of a straight... you can only hear some random buzzing + your car, kinda breaks the immersion...

Anyway, I have a few specific questions since most of them got an answer :)

-Is the weather random in career races, depending on the location?
-Are drive through penalties a thing?
-Can I jumpstart and get penalized?
-Can I blow my engine if I overrev too often during downshifts?
-Related questions: does something similar as AC's downshift protection system exist in pCars2?
-Can I get a puncture?
-Can my pit crew chief say something like "rain expected in X minutes?"
-Sparks when bottoming out? :)

Last edited:
FZA
-Can my pit crew chier say something like "rain expected in X minutes?"

Definite yes for these I think, since they were in PC1 (you got a drive through for jump starts in fact). I'm not sure about the crew chief voice line though, but I think it was also in PC1 already. Don't see why any of these would be taken out.

FZA
Hi there, subscribed on this website again after 5 years as I absolutely can't contain my excitement for this game so I had to.

I had lots of questions regarding pC2 but most of them have been answered through gameplay and menu vids, thank y'all for those :)

Just like @ThunderLips I'm a bit concerned about those replay sounds as I'm such a sucker for replays. I at least hope you can crank up the opponent's volume in replays too because yeah, you can almost only hear you car, even if it's at the other end of a straight... you can only hear some random buzzing + your car, kinda breaks the immersion...

Anyway, I have a few specific questions since most of them got an answer :)

-Is the weather random in career races, depending on the location?
-Can I blow my engine if I overrev too often during downshifts?
-Related questions: does something similar as AC's downshift protection system exist in pCars2?
-Can I get a puncture?
-Can my pit crew chier say something like "rain expected in X minutes?"
Don't think so.
Yes.
You could in PC1.
Think so.
Don't know.
Don't know.
Think he said that in PC1.
Can't remember if in PC1 or not.

Don't think so.
Yes.
You could in PC1.
Think so.
Don't know.
Don't know.
Think he said that in PC1.
Can't remember if in PC1 or not.
Pretty sure there were sparks in PC1, they just didn't look great (30fps?) but I don't think you could see them during replays, only when looking behind in car.

I haven't really been paying attention to the night gameplay videos but do headlights look better in the rear view mirror so you can see cars from further back? In PC1 they'd appear dim until right behind you

I just hope for Two things, one that that the car count doesn't downgrade from PC1 PS4 because that would be ridiculous and would be no point for multiclass racing it would just be killed. Two if they are going to keep the PC1 Ps4 max grids that they make 24 hrs nurbug 45 cars standard and same with all other 24 hr tracks. If they downgrade i wouldn't see the point in having this game tbh. Don't make multiclass racing a huge selling point and put in that great work to have the sysytem properly work just to have a corner cut.
Can @IanBell or @The_American can confirm the max grids for ps4

I just hope for Two things, one that that the car count doesn't downgrade from PC1 PS4 because that would be ridiculous and would be no point for multiclass racing it would just be killed. Two if they are going to keep the PC1 Ps4 max grids that they make 24 hrs nurbug 45 cars standard and same with all other 24 hr tracks. If they downgrade i wouldn't see the point in having this game tbh. Don't make multiclass racing a huge selling point and put in that great work to have the sysytem properly work just to have a corner cut.
Can @IanBell or @The_American can confirm the max grids for ps4

Er, the car count is already known via the website and the singleplayer grid count has already been answered as staying the same I believe.

Er, the car count is already known via the website and the singleplayer grid count has already been answered as staying the same I believe.
oh well then that would still suck for the nordshleife and the 24 hr of nurburgring. i feel 45 cars on track would do them justice, i just still don't get why there is 32 for the nordshleife but only 30 for the combined circuit

Who knows, could be 45 for nurburgring 24. However if not, could be due to limited pit boxes available
Don't know. Only 32 on the combined track would be kind of lame, track is so large.

Let's try this. Fast forward to the replay -

Here's AC. The car sounds like it is in open space. The doppler is I believe the effect put on the engine when at a distance.

Huge difference

Yeah internal sounds are great but external sounds completely wrong in pocars 2 i can only hope its a placeholder.

Yeah internal sounds are great but external sounds completely wrong in pocars 2 i can only hope its a placeholder.
What makes the external sounds completely wrong? Each view has a very different sound.

Back