Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
What makes the external sounds completely wrong? Each view has a very different sound.
It doesn't sound in any way convincing that it's in that environment to me & doesn't portray a car getting close & then moving away. I mean they added some panning & a slight increase in volume. Thats very disappointing if its the final result.

It doesn't sound in any way convincing that it's in that environment to me & doesn't portray a car getting close & then moving away. I mean they added some panning & a slight increase in volume. Thats very disappointing if its the final result.
Are you talking about replays? I'm talking about the chase camera sound.

don't forget, there is a big difference between the sound recorded by any direct capturing software and the rock solid sound, that comes out directly of your speakers. NVidia shadowplay does a very bad job in recording sound and Youtube conversion kills the rest.

don't forget, there is a big difference between the sound recorded by any direct capturing software and the rock solid sound, that comes out directly of your speakers. NVidia shadowplay does a very bad job in recording sound and Youtube conversion kills the rest.
Well we will see when it's released but I would put money on it having nothing to do with youtube and shadow play.

you can :), you'll lose.
I did some recordings with shadowplay and uploads to YT for bugreporting in the last 6 months. Shadowplay records are very silent. To get more out of it you have to amplify in your videoediting system, but flat sound cannot be enhanced by just doing that.
And as sound editors know, every formatconversion makes it worse also.

Quick question: Seeing we have the uh, Funhaver... any chance of added race utes to the game?

V8 Supercars are also starting their own series next year. Their utes are currently in the build phase(Colorado, Triton, Ranger, D-Max, HiLux, BT-50).

It would be interesting to see some diesel action in the game.

@IanBell @The_American
Will there be more race liveries for cars in Trackday? May I suggest some for the Vulcan?
benoit-fraylon-aston-martin-vulcan-gte-by-benoit-fraylon.jpg
Aston-Martin-Vulcan-AMR-Pro-101-626x383.jpg
aston_martin_racing_vulcan_gte_2017_by_davcrea-db5vu3y.jpg

I did indeed but got no answer, and now with videos showing only variants of the non racing scheme available I thought it was time to ask again....

Hi, i've some questions
1. Will the PS4 online lobbies have more than 16 players on PCARS 2? By the way GT Sport will have 24 players online and according to me if you want to organize multiclass leagues 16 players are not enough.
2. A part Interlagos are you planning to release other tracks as DLC? If yes how many locations/tracks will you release?
3. We almost don't know nothing about race director,broadcast and overlays, will the director be able to show the standings during the race, the winners during a season ? Are the overlays similar to the app in Pcars store called " Race Overlay"?

What are the chances that we might see Koenigsegg and Bugatti cars as DLC?

Ian, I know you mentioned DLC will be detailed soon, will all the cars and tracks that form part of the 4 pieces of DLC be detailed?

Hi i have some new questions:
  • Do we have the chance to get the option track reverse for every track ? (i know... not realistic... but only for fun reason :) ) i think it would be very funny to drive Nordschleife in a reverse race or other tracks :)

• Is it possible to get a button for asking for weather expectations? I had yesterday an long endurance race and on 2min left (last round) and arround 100m after pit entry the guy told me "we expect thunderstorm in the next 30min" but the rains starts directly and i was not able to drive anymore.... a long endurance race in career for nothing... :(

• you implement so many new features to the game which needed a button on the wheel / pad but the wheel is very limited with buttons... how do you solve that ? in PC1 i have many options not in use because my G920 dont have enough buttons
    :( I dont know how to add the new functions like the Pit limiter additional to the current options on my wheel...
Thank you

Hi i have some new questions:
  • Do we have the chance to get the option track reverse for every track ? (i know... not realistic... but only for fun reason :) ) i think it would be very funny to drive Nordschleife in a reverse race or other tracks :)

• Is it possible to get a button for asking for weather expectations? I had yesterday an long endurance race and on 2min left (last round) and arround 100m after pit entry the guy told me "we expect thunderstorm in the next 30min" but the rains starts directly and i was not able to drive anymore.... a long endurance race in career for nothing... :(

• you implement so many new features to the game which needed a button on the wheel / pad but the wheel is very limited with buttons... how do you solve that ? in PC1 i have many options not in use because my G920 dont have enough buttons
    :( I dont know how to add the new functions like the Pit limiter additional to the current options on my wheel...
Thank you

1) This is most of the times not possible because of licensing restrictions.

2) Did you shorten the race duration? If yes, the weather gets scaled too. There's no such function available right now. Can't say if this could be patched in post release.

3) The PS4 guys can connect USB keyboards/keypads to have additional buttons available. Is this not possible on XBOX One?

2) Did you shorten the race duration? If yes, the weather gets scaled too. There's no such function available right now. Can't say if this could be patched in post release.

3) The PS4 guys can connect USB keyboards/keypads to have additional buttons available. Is this not possible on XBOX One?

• damn okay
  • yes shorten to 2 hours :/ that the weather scaled is fine for me but the crew guy has to be fixed then.
  • hmm i dont try it yet, maybe this will work also but this is not a nice solution :( Maybe the can add the normal controller as extra buttons if a wheel is in use. I have every time both controller active but the controls are synchronized... if i change one, the other one will be changed too. Maybe one button for a second layout for some buttons like in other games.

Oops! I forgot about that.

Regarding 2) if the weather gets scaled surely the radio should say 2 mins ? Unfair otherwise

It means devs would have to record a line for every possible time acceleration set up, it'd be a nightmare, and honestly, a waste of time and resources. Something like "it's gonna rain soon" would fit tho

@IanBell @The_American
A few questions regarding the sounds. So far I'm pretty skeptical on this area... Cars sound nice for the most part but some of them just don't sound accurate, but it guess it's still being worked on. However the game doesn't seem to differenciate engine sound and exhaust engine so the car sounds the same no matter the camera view that's being used. I also can't hear any suspension squeak, or anything, you know those little immersive details, for now it's just engine sounds, tranny and tyres.

What worries me more is the sound design in itself. During replays, it seems that you're the only car on track since you barely can hear the others. If you crank up the opponents' car volume, will they sound just like yours during replays? I mean as detailed and clear as yours? I hope we're not ending up with just some random buzzing of cars passing by and your own car on top.

If some WMD2 member could upload a gameplay video + replay with cranked up opponents' volume, that'd be very neat. With some roaring cars. Like a field of GT3 machines.

Other question; can we disable the blur in the background during replays? it just looks terrible :boggled:

2 questions if I may?

1) can you yet reveal the indycar schedule in career mode?

2) will weather be scripted in career mode again like pc1?

Thanks

Can live with it if all races are dry but if the same ones are wet every season the lifespan becomes very short
Exactly. I disliked that very much, but even still I remember looking up videos for PCars1 24H Le Mans Endurance Series and every race wasn't the same. Some were time lapse of the full event, others were shortened, but no two had the exact same weather.

Leads me to believe career races will have set weather changes in a lot to choose from. So they're predetermined but you don't know which one you will get. It still won't always be the same, but this way SMS has control over it so it's not like Snow > Thunderstorm > Fog > Hazy y'know? Gotta keep it somewhat in the realm of realistic possibility.

@IanBell @The_American

Will fuel tank capacity vary car-to-car? How will that work?

There's been a lot of discussion about pit stops, different refill rate, fuel economy, etc. I know some tank sizes are determined by motorsport regs, and then some further depend on balance of performance adjustments, etc. but it would be interesting element if tank capacity reflected real-world stats.

Really cool thread by the way.

@IanBell @The_American
Other question that popped into my mind, I wondered if the GT3 category was BOP'ed since we got cars spread over at least three generations and performances between these cars vary a lot. I don't know what I'd prefer (raw, unaltered performance or BOP), I looked for answers but nothing clear about that yet. Can you give us a little insight on this?

Back