Qualifying and it's effects

• Thread starter liam2maps
  • 10 comments
Is there any real point to qualifying in GT3. I mean in GT1 if you qualified on pole you got some prize money, this isn't the case on GT3 and you also rack up mileage/distance on your motor. I mean sure a bit of a headstart is nice but is there any other positive effect?

In many tight races, where you need every advantage you can get, yes, the qualifying helps. In addition, in series races, qualifying on the pole will bump the second place person down from receiving 10 points to 6 points, if you exit the race early. Thus giving you a bit of an edge when in a tight series. Qualifying also helps with suspension tuning for that track. Again, in a tight race.

Qualifying in GT3 is not true like it is in GT1. What's happening is a qualifying/practice session at the same time.

I personally always qualify if I feel it's necessary because it give you a pretty good idea of how the actual race is going to shape up. Therefore, you don't enter the race with too much (or too little) power and get a fair match. 👍

Last edited:
In many tight races, where you need every advantage you can get, yes, the qualifying helps. In addition, in series races, qualifying on the pole will bump the second place person down from receiving 10 points to 6 points, if you exit the race early. Thus giving you a bit of an edge when in a tight series. Qualifying also helps with suspension tuning for that track. Again, in a tight race.

^ So wait you get points for qualifying in series racing? I thought that it was only just the races that gave you points.

Qualifying in gT3 is not true like it is in GT1. What's happening is a qualifying/practice session at the same time.

I personally always qualify if i feel it's necessary because it give you a pretty good idea of how the actual race is going to shape up. Therefore, you don't enter the race with too much (or too little) power and get a fair match. 👍

^ I don't use overly powerful cars but I'm still able to catch back up and be in the lead by the 1st lap.

I don't think you get points for qualifying in GT3. I forget. But what der Alta says is true though...that I know. I also know in GT1 you do get points for pole position.

The only time I don't qualify is if I have a pretty good idea what the race will be like and I feel confident the Ai won't have too much or too little of a jump.

The worst thing about GT3 qualifying is: you qualify while you're already rolling. It's not like GT1 qualifying in which you have to make a cold-start and then start driving. GT3 qualifying therefore eliminates starting-acceleration as a factor during the actual race.

In other words...say I'm able to qualify in my Integra and equal the fastest AI car (let's say it's an NSX). Well at the start of the race...the NSX will of course get a huge lead right off the bat since it has a mid-engine layout and I'm a FWD. So you have to think about that as well. 💡

Last edited:
i don't think you get points for qualifying in GT3. I forget. But what der Alta says is true though...that i know. I also know in GT1 you do get points for pole position.

The only time i dont' qualify is if i have a pretty good idea what the race will be like and i feel confident the Ai won't have too much or too little of a jump.

the worst thing about GT3 qualifying is: you qualify while you're already rolling. It's not like GT1 qualifying in which you have to make a cold-start and then start driving. GT3 qualifying therefore eliminates starting-acceleration as a factor during the actual race

In other words...say i'm able to qualify in my Integra and equal the fastest AI car (let's say it's an NSX). Well at the start of the race...the NSX will of course get a huge lead right off the bat since it has a mid-engine layout and i'm a FWD. So you have to think about that as well. 💡

^ Are you sure you get points in GT1 for Qualification, I thought it was cash.

You don't get awarded points for qualifying, or being in the lead in the race. What happens, is that the points are awarded according to the current position of the cars when you quit the race. So the max award is 6 points going to second place.

No. I am certain you get points for GT1 qualifying but not for GT3. Not sure about cash. I honestly forget and I'm too lazy to fire up GT1 right now.

Last edited:
I use quals to make sure my gear ratios are right and my tire wear is not going to be a problem. If you can't beat the other cars in qual then the odds are you won't beat them in race. (providing they don't have some really stupid pit stop stratagy)

I use quals to make sure my gear ratios are right and my tire wear is not going to be a problem. If you can't beat the other cars in qual then the odds are you won't beat them in race. (providing they don't have some really stupid pit stop stratagy)

Yeah..you gotta check those ratios unless you know they're good. Sucks going down the Route 246 straight with a "Cote d'Azur" or Laguna Seca gear setting :banghead:

Latest Posts

Back