Questions about BMW's

I have been working at the BMW dealership for a while now. And on Friday I can now finally say that I have driven pretty much every BMW put out in the last 15 years.

If you are wondering about what some of these cars are like I can answer many questions.

The car that I finally drove on Friday was an E30 (1990) M3, which completes the list of BMW's I've driven.

And yes, I have driven the Z8, once delivering one to a customer downtown.

Originally posted by 12sec. Civic
Occupation Lawyer
Really?

Originally posted by 12sec. Civic
Biography I am a frequent drug user and I know about 90% of what there is to know about cars. I like cars primarily and I like GT3 because it's about cars. To know me is to love me for my semi-sociopathic genius of a mind. I have a few mental disorders as well
I believe you. :rolleyes:

What are the standard specs on the brakes of a 1998 BMW 316?

A lawyer, who works in a BMW garage, driving them about, at the age of 21, eh?

Originally posted by Famine
What are the standard specs on the brakes of a 1998 BMW 316?

North America never got a 316 - and BMW had to beg people to buy the 318. Since 2001, we haven't even gotten anything below a 325.

I have been working at the BMW dealership for a while now. And on Friday I can now finally say that I have driven pretty much every BMW put out in the last 15 years.

You know - I can't think of a BMW that came out in the last fifteen years that I haven't driven, barring the Z3 Coupe. Further, I've driven just about every vehicle on the market - but I don't make threads like this. Keep telling yourself: you aren't that special...

Originally posted by M5Power
North America never got a 316 - and BMW had to beg people to buy the 318. Since 2001, we haven't even gotten anything below a 325.

He said "every BMW put out in the last 15 years". I was just curious... :D

He said "every BMW put out in the last 15 years". I was just curious... :D

Cunning - I didn't even get it - now I know what it's like to be Driftster... :(

They have drums on the back, for reference. Really.

:rolleyes:

You've got to hand it to BMW - they basically gave Audi the segment. Audi came out with a manual automatic transmission before BMW, Audi had standard side airbags before BMW, Audi had all-wheel drive before BMW, and Audi always offered more stuff at a lower price. BMW isn't in grave danger of losing the segment, but if they had tried a bit harder, Audi might be in Jaguar's position right now - struggling.

Drum brakes is freaking absurd for a BMW.

Audi came out with a manual automatic transmission before BMW, Audi had all-wheel drive before BMW

Manual automatic transmission, seen one, drove one, hated it forever. It's not manual at all. So you tell it when to shift, big deal. I can do that with an old ass automatic too. It's not a manual transmission if it doesn't have a clutch. Until the day when you can push a button and make a clutch magicly apear on an automatic car, there will be no automatic/manual transmission. Also, I wasn't aware that BMW made an AWD car? Maybe that's because race entusiasts love RWD? I like AWD if you have enough power to get all 4 wheels spinning. But audi's don't have that kind of power. I'm just not into the whole luxury thing. :cool:

BMW has been making all wheel drive 3 series for a while. There aren't a whole lot of the E30 325iXs running around, but I've seen a couple.

Doug,

I have seen a lot of your replies and I once heard that you were a automobile journalist or something. Is it true?

I Know it looks retarded as a question but I just wanted to clear things out a bit.

Thanks

I was in law school, but I gave it up for a while. Besides I dont come here often enough to keep updating my profile.

And for those who think I am trying to "be special" for saying I work at the dealership, get a grip.

I am just trying to offer some knowledge. Besides, driving each BMW once over who knows how long is alot different then driving all of them right after another all day for months on end. It is very hard to get a good idea of a car after driving it once.

I drive these things like they're stolen.

Okay, I look at your name and see that it is...
12sec. Civic
This leads me to believe that you were/are into teh tuning culture (not ricer).

Then you say in your location

Somehow, Someday I will own a Lotus Esprit Twin Turbo V8 SE

Now this confuses me, now your going for a V8, british car. Not exactly tuner.

Then you say you are a lawyer, and I immediatley (stereotypical view) think you will have/buy a Merc or something else Luxurious.

And now you say you work for a BMW dealer and drive

these things like they're stolen.
Do I dare ask, what do you drive!?

If u have, may be too early, but have u driven the new m5 concept (e60), and if so, how good is it compared to the current legend.

Originally posted by West Side Ninja
Manual automatic transmission, seen one, drove one, hated it forever. It's not manual at all. So you tell it when to shift, big deal. I can do that with an old ass automatic too. It's not a manual transmission if it doesn't have a clutch. Until the day when you can push a button and make a clutch magicly apear on an automatic car, there will be no automatic/manual transmission.

Congratulations for your opinion! 👍

I absolutely swear by manual-automatic transmissions, I have one on every car I own (six total) except one. It's the absolute best of both worlds when done right. It sounds like you drove AutoStick or Hyundai's system or something crappy.

Also, I wasn't aware that BMW made an AWD car? Maybe that's because race entusiasts love RWD?

Well, that's because your ignorant. BMW currently produces three all-wheel drive vehicles: the X5 since 2000, X3 since 2004, and since the summer of 2000, an all-wheel drive 3-series (aimed specifically at competing with the Audi A4 Quattro) in both sedan and wagon forms (known as 325xi or 330xi in sedan and, though not officially, 325xiT and 330xiT in wagons).

But audi's don't have that kind of power.

Do you know anything? You're saying stuff without even checking to see if you're right, as if you're passing off ten-year-old stereotypes on people who clearly know more about cars than you.

Congratulations for your opinion! 👍

I absolutely swear by manual-automatic transmissions, I have one on every car I own (six total) except one. It's the absolute best of both worlds when done right. It sounds like you drove AutoStick or Hyundai's system or something crappy.

Well, that's because your ignorant. BMW currently produces three all-wheel drive vehicles: the X5 since 2000, X3 since 2004, and since the summer of 2000, an all-wheel drive 3-series (aimed specifically at competing with the Audi A4 Quattro) in both sedan and wagon forms (known as 325xi or 330xi in sedan and, though not officially, 325xiT and 330xiT in wagons).

Do you know anything? You're saying stuff without even checking to see if you're right, as if you're passing off ten-year-old stereotypes on people who clearly know more about cars than you. [/B]

The auto transmission that I drove was the exact same on in your audi a4 1.8t. Infact, I was the EXACT same car. I know the SUV's were AWD but we were talking about cars, not suvs. I already admitted that I had never seen one of those bmw's. Don't convince yourself that everyone has the same opinion as you. You act like I don't know what I'm talking about just because I don't like somthing that you like. Believe it or not, people have different opinions. You need to learn to respect them.

edit: and I just realised that you said I didn't know anything because I said audis don't have enough power to burn out with awd. :lol:

Doug,

I have seen a lot of your replies and I once heard that you were a automobile journalist or something. Is it true?

I Know it looks retarded as a question but I just wanted to clear things out a bit.

Thanks

I was an automotive analyst for a business school in New York from January to April, when Volkswagen hired me to do demographic work to analyse buyers of their and competitors' cars - it's extremely amusing, but there's no room for promotion because I don't want to move to Volkswagen's corporate headquarters in Michigan, so I'm considering becoming more of a freelance automotive consultant in New York, but not for a few years.

Back