R.I.P. Bruce Brown

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
http://autoweek.com/article/people/bruce-brown-any-sunday-director-1937-2017

Bruce Brown directed many movies but one in particular literally changed my life and that was On Any Sunday. I can still remember when I was a young teenager and first saw commercials for On Any Sunday coming to television on a Sunday night in the mid-70's. We couldn't stop talking about it all week both in school and after school both before and after the movie. It was the most anticipated movie we could imagine as kids, all about motorcycles!! It really helped kick off a lifetime of passion for motorsports for me. My Dad built a kart for my brother and I and not long after we bought a racing kart and went racing as a direct result of watching this movie. Soon we were attending Can Am events, Grand Prix and many other races. If you've never seen the movie I highly recommend you watch it. I saw it again last year and it was just as exciting as it was more than 40 years ago. Bruce passed away today at the age of 80. R.I.P.

Bruce Brown was more well known to the general public for his surfing films, Endless Summer in particular. His work was legendary to my generation. I heard of his passing on NPR radio. RIP Bruce Brown, we lift a fond toast to your artistry and inspiration.
ap_17346762963352-acb955bfab7089cdebaeba0e5d7d26206771ffe6-s800-c85.jpg

Bruce Brown, seen in 1963, attempts to balance a mounted camera on his board while catching a wave. The man behind the seminal 1966 surfing documentary The Endless Summer died Sunday at his home in Santa Barbara, Calif., at the age of 80.

Bob Bagley/Bruce Brown Films via AP

Back