RaceRoom: The Racing Experience General Discussion

• Thread starter MagpieRacer
  • 1,199 comments
I guess it's safe to assume that you're LOVING PC simracing now :cheers: as well as RRE! I'm really liking this sim lately too!
I am indeed, honestly should have done it years ago, but better late than never.

RaceRoom is certainly my pick for online racing and an overall balance between physics accuracy and looking good, but RFactor2 physics and FFB wise is amazing, and AC is just absurdly huge with the modding side of it.

I am indeed, honestly should have done it years ago, but better late than never.

RaceRoom is certainly my pick for online racing and an overall balance between physics accuracy and looking good, but RFactor2 physics and FFB wise is amazing, and AC is just absurdly huge with the modding side of it.
I'm still not well connected with RF2 unfortunately. I'm trying to love it. But I still don't understand what's the big fuss about it. I downloaded dozens of tracks and cars but still not impressed overall. In my opinion, AC is much better in every way.
I even bought the endurance pack (GTE, LMP2 etc.) and felt so underwhelmed that I refunded it.
I still don't hate it and still give it a try once in a while and would still like to fall in love with it...

I'm still not well connected with RF2 unfortunately. I'm trying to love it. But I still don't understand what's the big fuss about it. I downloaded dozens of tracks and cars but still not impressed overall. In my opinion, AC is much better in every way.
I even bought the endurance pack (GTE, LMP2 etc.) and felt so underwhelmed that I refunded it.
I still don't hate it and still give it a try once in a while and would still like to fall in love with it...
Odd, as I would put RF2 in a totally different class to AC.

The only key difference I can think of would be the wheel we use is different, as RF2 (and R3E not far behind) offers the best recreation of wheel weight loading up I've come across in a sim, in comparison to how cars load up on the track in reality, it's frighteningly accurate. That's a trait that follows all the titles that use the ISI engine, with RF2, R3E and AMS and maybe something that doesn't come across as well with a G29? It's the only thing I can think off.

The December update gets better and better. Not one, but 2 Audi R8 LMS models added, the GT4 version is coming, too:

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/audi-r8-lms-gt4.16036/
Take all my money, you wonderful bastards.

Just recently reinstalled R3E and would like to have another go at it. It's been a few years now.
Got a mail today about the Lunar New year sale, which apparently is a thing. So I thought I would splash out on some content. Preferably not GT3 or GT4 as I'll be playing those mostly in ACC.

Any tip on car/track combos? :) I was looking at the WTCR 2019 and DTM 2020 packs. Are those good?

Can't even remember what content I already have. I'll have to double check when I get home.

Funny enough it's been lately one of my favorites. Unfortunately, we have big ongoing issues in my country so I can't use my credit card on big amounts to buy the content. I have like maybe 10% of the cars and like 45% of the tracks. I have been getting small VRP packs at around 10$ each... It's one of the most expensive sims if you wanna drop content bit by bit; unfortunately, as I said, I can't get it all now.
I was hoping this sale has packs on sale but it hasn't :( my wait will be long...

DTM2020 is awesome I have it. Didn't try the WTCR2019 but I assume it's great from what I see.
The good thing is that you can test cars in this game. Head to store while you're in the game, click on any car, and then a popup will show and you can press "Test". That's a good touch from the devs.

As for tracks, the Nordschleife is a must for me on every sim. There's also the classics that everyone love like Spa, monza, imola etc... However, I LOVE the less known tracks that are in Raceroom; give those a shot since you feel like experimenting and as you said, we're already fed up of those tracks on other sims... some of these less known are like autodrom most, mid ohio, OSCHERSLEBEN, SACHSENRING, slovakia ring, ZHEJIANG, ZHUHAI ...

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the Fanatec settings for CSW2.5 in this game? After reinstalling the game and applying the settings I'm getting almost no feeling in the wheel (McLaren GT3 wheel). The steering is veeery light and I feel nothing from the road. Also there's a notchy feeling when I rotate the wheel. It works fine in ACC and F12020 so there's no problem with the wheel itself.

I already PM-ed Domb and await an answer but I thought I'd just check if anyone else experienced this.

Here are the recommended settings I'm using: https://forum.fanatec.com/discussio...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

I tried it and it's good and I was thinking how to handle their pricing mode. I always need everything in racing games. Does it make sense to buy premium pack for only 100 Euro? Because then I could feel like I buy normal game. Next DLC would be paid for me too? I would like to have some kind of season pass. Still no time to play it but I would like to go into the game somehow.

So I bought all content to play with. Funny thing is I didn't know how good it is before the buy. OK, graphics is rather old, physics looks very coo. But the best part is gamepad settings. You can set anything. From dumb slow controls to something like 1:1 without any filtering. Great thing is it's for brake and gas too, it's very important. It's awesome to play it then. Some games has ONE settings for everybody and this game doesn't tell you what skill you should have. I can recommend this game to any gamepad player.

Racing with AI looked great too.

edit:
Tried few laps on Nordschleife 24H in E30 and it's very good game. Would be a mistake to skip it because of strange pricing model. Physics looks very advanced too. Sound is superb like everybody knows. A bit of hidden gem because popularity doesn't looks high on forums.

Last edited:
I had been messing about with the free to play stuff and testing premium cars at Raceroom Raceway for a week or so, I decided that i was enjoying the experience enough to invest in content. I decided to go for the full premium experience, once understanding the pricing, I bought 10,000 VRP for just over 50 quid, to me this seemed like the most cost effective route into R3E.

I have to say once on tracks I know and love, I felt comfortable pretty much straight away, although a long way from being super fast, I am really enjoying the physics, driving experience and FFB (once tweaked to my liking).

The Touring Cars are my main focus, they are brilliant fun at a reasonable pace, the physics of front wheel drive feels really well implemented, lift off oversteer is a thing in this game :) I have to say driving a frontie is probably better here than any other title that I have experienced :)

Racing the AI is fun, although on some tracks it currently feels like the AI have an unfair advantage, they carry huge corner speeds in the complex at Hockenheim for example, meaning they are able to run around the outside at will, but they are slower in the faster stuff... Pretty this is a combination of me and the adaptive AI learning at the same time maybe?

Now to pluck up the courage and jump into the rookie servers and see what the online component is like :crazy:

[edit]I found that otterhud has a really nice radar feature [ link ] I generally race without any HUD but this is a godsend when going 3 or 4 wide with the AI[/edit]

Last edited:
What do you think about the physics? I read many times how it's arcadey. It's rather hard to me and I am not sure if it's real. I can't recover from many situations which are easy in other games. I must be very careful here but I am not sure if it's a good sign.

What do you think about the physics? I read many times how it's arcadey. It's rather hard to me and I am not sure if it's real. I can't recover from many situations which are easy in other games. I must be very careful here but I am not sure if it's a good sign.
SuperGT spins out in a GT4 race car here:

He's pretty good at racing games, so it's certainly possible it's realistic that once you lose grip, it's very hard to catch it in time.

SuperGT spins out in a GT4 race car here:

He's pretty good at racing games, so it's certainly possible it's realistic that once you lose grip, it's very hard to catch it in time.

LOL, looks like me. In some games it's easy to catch almost everything - AMS2. And in other it's much harder - PC1. I am still not sure what is more real but catching is more fun for sure. But it's hard to imagine you have enough grip on front during some slidey situations. So losing makes sense to me. But I don't know.

It's funny, R3E looks like the hardest game I have. Small braking mistake and car goes off track. Where are the people who said it's an arcade? :D

It's funny, R3E looks like the hardest game I have. Small braking mistake and car goes off track. Where are the people who said it's an arcade? :D
I find consistent braking incredibly hard in R3E, but it's really an equipment problem, it needs a brake pedal movement in a region that my brake pedal doesn't provide fine control in. The next big thing in driving games should be force feedback pedals, and I mean real force feedback like a wheel has, not control of some little vibration motor.

I find consistent braking incredibly hard in R3E, but it's really an equipment problem, it needs a brake pedal movement in a region that my brake pedal doesn't provide fine control in. The next big thing in driving games should be force feedback pedals, and I mean real force feedback like a wheel has, not control of some little vibration motor.
Yeah, it could be. I use some HC settings for gamepad because I can, so I do everything on my own and that's another source of troubles. Still if you lose your car it's gone forever which is not usual in many games.

Force feedback pedals :D What if they are electronic only?

In the meantime I realized that with R3E AI you don't need friends anymore :D

I have just been running some laps in the new Cupra Simracing Series, its a hotlap at Hockenheim, I found that moving the brake balance to the rear a few clicks all but stopped the locking of the front wheels, I could then brake later with more pressure which yielded a lot of lap time, especially into the hairpin! Now I just need to figure out how to get out of that bloody corner quickly :eek:

Since it's free, and I can test whatever cars I want, plus those lovely hotlap competitions, I love it. Graphics aren't great, and setting up a server to play with others isn't soo easy, but hey, it's free-to-play, and a blast with those sounds.

R3E is pretty much my go to sim. I enjoy the cars and tracks it has, although I spent a grip getting everything. Now I am venturing into multi-player with the ranked servers. Being in the US means that there is little on offer when I have time to race. But its still enjoyable. Its not the best looking sim in my library, or is it the best feeling sim. But it offers a lot that other titles barely touch on. Like the Group 5 cars, or the TCR (WTCR) and DTM (all 2 of the cars). So there's plenty to keep me busy.

R3E is pretty much my go to sim. I enjoy the cars and tracks it has, although I spent a grip getting everything. Now I am venturing into multi-player with the ranked servers. Being in the US means that there is little on offer when I have time to race. But its still enjoyable. Its not the best looking sim in my library, or is it the best feeling sim. But it offers a lot that other titles barely touch on. Like the Group 5 cars, or the TCR (WTCR) and DTM (all 2 of the cars). So there's plenty to keep me busy.
I agree, the game is great. But do you have a problem with front grip while sliding? Most of my slides are unrecoverable. I can catch it immediately or it's too late already. I am not sure if my input is not right or the slide is too big to catch.

At my skill level, I have a problem with sliding and losing grip in every sim I run. Raceroom doesn't seem to be any different than losing grip in AMS2 or AC, from my perspective. Once its gone, I'm not getting it back.

I am starting to notice warning signs, that I am losing grip. So I'm trying to back off just a touch when I feel the back end getting light. But as for saving a situation where the tail has come around... I can't think of any instances where I corrected the car in that situation.

Last edited:
OK, no problem. Some games are like R3E and some are different. For instance, in AMS2 I can catch anything and it's very good to play but I am not sure how real it is. Another thing could be some games add front grip for gamepad steering. Probably Forza, maybe more games. But it's hard to test if I don't have a wheel.

Theres no such thing like games adding front grip for gamepads. Its about steering assists like input smoothing and speed sensitive steering :)

AMS2 DNA is Pcars tire model which imo is meh because it just feels weird often.

You should try AMS1. Its a shame that this Sim got replaced with AMS2 imo.

Theres no such thing like games adding front grip for gamepads. Its about steering assists like input smoothing and speed sensitive steering :)

AMS2 DNA is Pcars tire model which imo is meh because it just feels weird often.

You should try AMS1. Its a shame that this Sim got replaced with AMS2 imo.
It could be possible for Forza, for instance. It could be tire model for sure too. I don't know because I don't have a wheel comparison.

It depends, physics is very different but it's built on it. PC1 has similar problem as R3E. Slides are harder to recover than AMS2.

AMS1 is great and I will try it again. It was so good immediately. AMS2 has the best driving feel from any sim to me. Even with PC2 gamepad input.

I play Forza since the first game and basically every other race games and also all simulations with wheel since 2013 ^^ Also tried Forza with wheel... :)

I play Forza since the first game and basically every other race games and also all simulations with wheel since 2013 ^^ Also tried Forza with wheel... :)
Good, so why is front grip so high and available all the time during slide? It's the opposite to R3E when where you lose grip at the rear, front grip is lost too.

Forza is gamepad first game and it's possible there are some nasty things :D

Idk i loose grip at that axle where the power goes in every game or sim if i go too hard... Or if you overdrive the car hard as beginner at the front = understeer to oblivion :D

Important in RR is that you use cars with latest tire model and stuff to judge the driving physics:

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...cs-ai-status-lookup-updated-20-03-2021.15151/

Driving on the limit with trailbraking nailed would look like this:

Last edited:
Back