Racers Reunited. It's over! RR GT6 is no more. Tuesday's will now be for GTS (Maybe PC2 some times)

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 1,681 comments
Just hit the button now Paul
My heart is saying "Yeah go on it would be great and it's only money." But my brain is saying "The car is in for it's annual inspection (MOT) next week and you haven't repaired the blowing exhaust from last year yet. You might want that money."

I'm hoping to keep this GT6 thing rowing along as hard as I can
You might need to stick an outboard motor on it Zo. Long live GT6 👍

As for the last even I'll be part time for this series :cheers:
Tom_Ascar GT5 Metallic 014 #22

Sorry for double post I'm not good today

Zo
Brilliant fun tonight with the civic. Can't believe I still couldn't catch you and Colin with me having 9% more power. :eek:
Great close racing with goofy, Jocke and Paul.

You'll all be glad to know that the bolognaise didn't burn and that isn't my daughters name! :dopey:

Look forward to next week.
:cheers:

It was indeed bumper to bumper stuff. :)

Suggestions?
How's about the Renault (Sport) Clio R.S. '11?
I gave it a spin around Grand Valley East and it felt pretty good. Actually it'd probably be quite good wherever.

The other car I mentioned was the Focus RS '02. I remember it being fun in a Zero cup race, give it a try.

Zo
Brilliant fun tonight with the civic.
Yep great fun, and all incredibly close
It was indeed bumper to bumper stuff. :)

Suggestions?
How's about the Renault (Sport) Clio R.S. '11?
I gave it a spin around Grand Valley East and it felt pretty good. Actually it'd probably be quite good wherever.

The other car I mentioned was the Focus RS '02. I remember it being fun in a Zero cup race, give it a try.
It was amazing races with all so close and the point system was perfect, well done Zo :cheers:
Already longing for next weeks racing :dopey:

Thanks fellas, I loved it too. I can't believe we haven't done tons of that sort of thing before.

I'm planning on using the Clio and Focus in weeks three and four Paul, but it's the Suzuki Swift Sport 05 around Madrid Reverse next Tuesday. I had a run with it today, and it's sensational! A Suzie with a fantastic front end, just like a girl I used to work with 👍

I'll update post 1 with results/standings and % for next week soon chaps, but I'm getting looks from the wife who's making tea, so I'd better sign off...

I'm sure our good friend Jocke wouldn't mind making a short video

Speaking of which...

Cheers, Zo.

It's a hot hatchback FWD series then? :)

Did Suzie also have an interesting rear end with twin tail pipes?

It is Paul. I think I'd probably miss powerful RWD motors after a while, but for tight, hard racing the Hot Hatches are difficult to beat. As long as we use ones that don't understeer badly, then the entertainment factor will be high indeed, if Tuesday was anything to go by. Mind you, i'm starting with 111BHP next week! I'd better get some practice in.

On the Suzie issue, I never really paid much attention to her rear end, the headlamps were enough for me to be going on with. Still go a crush on her I think. Saw a photo on facebook (Wife's account, I don't have one, or a smartphone, for that matter) recently; she was with a bunch of mutual friends and colleagues who were showing their age, she still looks like she's in her thirties, and fit... Ahhhh.

Cheers, Zo.

Sorry me again, but just confirming @Zolon32 it is the '05 model? There is also a later ('07 I think) version available too. I haven't compared them so I'm not sure what the difference is, it's the same bhp, but says something about a closer ratio gearbox in the info.

You could throw the mad mid engined Renault 5 into the mix! Bit harder too keep under control though.

it is the '05 model?

Yep. I've had mine painted now, so that's the one. It's a premium, so we can have numbers on 👍

I tend to agree.

By the way, I've had a spin in the Clio. What a stupendous motor! I'd already done over a hundred miles in it, so I'm not sure why I hadn't spotted its appeal earlier. Maybe I used it for a seasonal, with some tuning done. Anyway, it's ace, and man enough for the full Grand Valley circuit. So, that's our combo for week three (2nd May) Clio RS at Grand Valley. There's no rain there, but the racing is so good I'm happy to do without.

Still to have a go in the Focus, but we'll be using it anyway; an I've got to have a spin in the Mazda Kusabi(?). I seem to recall that was a spunky little thing.

Cheers, Zo.

Just done the seasonal at GVE, by the way. Dodge RAM. Excellent!

What a stupendous motor!
Yeah it surprised me as well. Lots of traction and very easily controlled.
I tried it's bigger brother the Megane trophy '11 at the same time and it's pretty decent too.

Grand Valley - slipstream on low would be fun. ;)

There's some little Fiats/Arbarth that might be interesting too

No!!!!!! That things mental on stock settings! Add water to the track and is struggle to compete a lap!
Ah yes, I hadn't considered water on the track. I'll shut up. :)

I'm planning to participate in next week's meeting, I didn't know that there was a Hatchback Handicap! :ill:

Glad to have you along Harsk. You will have to start the first race on 85%, and I'll work out your average points per race after that, to set the % for the following races.

Cheers, Zo.

Glad to have you along Harsk. You will have to start the first race on 85%, and I'll work out your average points per race after that, to set the % for the following races.

Cheers, Zo.
That's a shame that I can't start with 100% of power, but okay.

I will get my car prepared for the next tuesday... 👍

That's a shame that I can't start with 100% of power, but okay.

Don't worry Harsk. The 100% thing was only for the first race last week. Everybody now has a handicap, and will all start on less than 100% this Tuesday. I'm on 80%! It's only Mr Sandbagging (;)) who's anywhere near 100%.

Speaking of whom...
Yeah it surprised me as well. Lots of traction and very easily controlled.
I tried it's bigger brother the Megane trophy '11 at the same time and it's pretty decent too.

Grand Valley - slipstream on low would be fun. ;)

Simple truth is, there are so many belting prospects I might have to extend the series on and on Paul, as long as people are enjoying it. I tried the Mk4 and Mk5 Golfs, but found them a little dull, then had a run in the Lupo GTi; miles slower, but massive fun! That Kusabi is ridiculously good too, and fast; beat the Clio by a long way. Peugeot 106 Ralley and 207 GTi are good enough to make a case for themselves too. It's all looking good 👍

On the low slipstream thing, I'll try without to begin, then give it a go and monitor its effect. Don't want it to be impossible to defend 1st place after the last corner.

Cheers, Zo.

By the way, anybody noticed the progression of Goofy's finishes last week? He's the man to beat, believe me. Just ignore that chap in the dark coloured car (32) and get Goofy, he's your man...

Last edited:
Post 2 will be updated shortly fellas, with the list of meetings to follow on from the Civic at Autumn Ring last week. I've gone a bit barking with it, spending a very long time testing 29 FWD motors. (I've got plenty of practice at Madrid ;).)

The upshot of it all is, that the series will be extended for as long as people are enjoying it, or until we run out of the top rated FWD cars.

Those coming up are:

Swift 05, Clio RS 11, 106 Rallye, Focus ST 13, Lupo GTi, Mini Marcos GT 70, Kusabi 03, Mini Cooper S 11, Ford Ka (yes), Honda Integra Type R (DC5) 04.

I know they are not all hatchbacks, or necessarily hot, but they all use their front wheels well, and will provide hours of fun, I am sure.

Cheers, Zo.

I've been having a spin out in a few as well and here's some from my shortlist that might be suitable for your pot

Not sure if you've tried them but...
Toyota Yaris RS turbo (yes turbo!)
Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 T Sport
Arbarth 500
Arbarth Grande Punto.
There was something called a Mitsubishi Cyborg too which wasn't bad.

Now I see you've veered away from the hatchbacks a little I might have another look.

I've been having a spin out in a few as well

I haven't tried either the Yaris or Cyborg Paul, but the Mito, 500 and Grande Punto were all in the mix. I felt that they dropped short of the standard the Swift, Rallye and Ka had set. Surprisingly, I think I preferred the cooking 1.2 500 to the hot version, in respect of feel. The Mini Countryman came close, actually, and would have been in, if the Cooper S 11 hadn't nicked past on the line.

I'll see how the series goes for now, but I'll be really happy if we end up needing more cars because the concept remains popular and interesting. It'll be great if we end up using custom tracks, specifically designed for particular FWD motors.

Cheers, Zo.

EDIT: Excellent shouts for the Yaris and Cyborg Paul. Tried them both, and I love them. I can't believe how nicely the Yaris flows along the track, it's beautiful. And the Cyborg is manic, really nice. I'll date post 2.

Last edited:
By the way, anybody noticed the progression of Goofy's finishes last week? He's the man to beat, believe me. Just ignore that chap in the dark coloured car (32) and get Goofy, he's your man...
Hehe, not really Zo, the man to beat is still the dark coloured car (32) and he probably has an German shepherd dog in his back seat:dopey:

I did notice goofys progression, as it almost completely mirrored my demise!

It does show that it's a tight pack where anyone can get a great result, even with a power deficit. Race craft and no mistakes will get you to the front
It´s a great event where all can be at the top as the handicap is really working 👍

See you all tonight :cheers:

Last edited:
Folks, there were some lessons learned yesterday which, being completely honest, was a great disappointment following the brilliant racing we had at Autumn Ring the week before. Even when the relative lap times are close, racing isn't so much fun when any mistake made by the guy in front often means that he just stops, and you hammer into him, losing places yourself. Madrid is a circuit where that sort of thing seems to happen a lot, whereas at Autumn Ring, when a chap runs wide, or brakes too late, it usually gives those close behind a chance to slip past.

Madrid holds another problem for power based handicapping too, with those two long acceleration phases following one immediately after the other; a power deficit has a more pronounced effect than it would otherwise do.

I will be reconsidering the circuits in the series, with these problems in mind.

Additionally, one of the skills of driving these cars is getting traction out of the slow corners, something that C/S tyres on a motor with little more than 100BHP makes a bit of a doddle. With this in mind, the use of very low powered cars is under review, and if they do stay, they shall be used with less grippy tyres.

So, on to Grand Valley, with a spunky little motor. I am highly confident that this track, and car, will entertain us a lot more than Madrid did.

Post 1 updated. Venari, he the man!

Cheers, Zo.

was a great disappointment
Hey I won two races! ;)
(And the third one,even though I dropped to the rear, was fun I thought.)

It's not far away Zo, it just needs a little tweaking. After a few more races the handicapping will have settled down. And you're probably right a slightly more open circuit might have suited them better. Live and learn, onwards and upwards etcetera.

Good to see @qken again. It's been too long.

Back