Rally section SSR 5 (and II) (wet)

• Thread starter VdrSain
  • 3 comments
Well with encouragement from Neon_duke here is my 1st write-up. Your not going to get DerAlta or Duke type detail here, as I am too lazy to write everything down, but here goes.
I was not sure what to drive for this series but I figured several road cars would do nicely. I first took my bone stock Nismo 400R, added only Medium race tires and headed for the track. Well I noticed this series lets you qualify so I did to see how I sized up. Well I was like 9 seconds a lap faster than the Evo VI rally AI so I decided to pick another car. I jumped in my EvoVI Rally and was still waayyy faster than the AI so I took it back to stock (I think) just normal turbo and it had medium tires as well (not sure if stock or I bought, but that’s what I used).
As far as setup I use very similar setups for most cars, I lowered the ride height low if not bottomed, came up on the spring rate to about half of scale (not sure of the numbers) left dampening alone, F-3 R-2 on camber and .5 F -.5 R on toe, bumped sway to 6, went up to about half scale on DF as well, auto setting 22-24 (was hitting limiter on straight) everything else I left alone.

First round I still smoked the AI, it was not even close, I think my fast lap was around 1’36’ish. Interestingly after qualifying with a 1’49 the AI was only like 5 seconds a lap slower than me so like 1’41’ish. (I could be wrong on these numbers, remember I’m lazy)

2nd round the AI was just as fast if not faster out of the whole so I figured “this could be interesting” but I took him on the first wet right-hander after the tunnel. He pulled back by on power through the esess and then I got him back coming out of the last right/left before the hairpin, never to look back. He did stay within 2 seconds a lap of me due to more straightaway speed. Again I was turning 1’35’s I think.

Round 3 was quite a match, the AI was waaayyy faster than I was this time, and I was tempted to add a turbo stage, but I thought what the heck. Well it took half a lap to catch him and then I came out of the last corner about a second ahead of him. This is where it got fun. I have the foot to the wood and about half way down the straight here comes headlights in the rearview and he is like 25mph faster than me, and of course he gets me just before the line. Well I’m thinking this wont work unless I can get some more ground on him before the straight. Well same thing next lap, so I think I gotta try something, so on the 3 (and other) laps I swerved in front of him just before the pass and it worked, I held him off. Low and behold I had a bad last lap and exited the last corner with less than a second gap, so I was pretty worried, but I bumped him good and finished 0.027 ahead of him for the win and the Citroen Xsara Rally car.

The II version of this was just about the same only against the Impreza Proto, and I decided to put on the stage 1 turbo for round 3 and had no problem, though the racing was good.
Anyway hope it was not too long winded, and give this a try with the stock Evo VI if you want a true test of your driving against way more power.

good write-up! :)

possible suspension and downforce adjustments should lower your times (I usually ride as low as i can and play with the shocks some too)

i know finishing .027 ahead of AI is a DEFINITE adreniline rush!

additional turbo helps in straights, but unless you play with the limited slip settings it's going to hurt you more (or so i've found)

car selection....choices, choices, choices

your guess is as good as mine there...:confused:

Good writeup, VdrSain! I haven't runb the wet stages yet but since I've just wrapped up Amateur I think I'm going to head there next.

One thing you've noticed - the AI cheats. Read Der Alta's Compendium, where he has definitive examples of the AI turning lap times much faster when they are trailing.

Good job and good racing! I look forward to more.

Nice. I had some trouble for a while on the last race with the Scooby Proto. He would almost always pass me toward the last 2 turns before you head toward the tunnel and on out to the start/ finish line.

EDIT: I was using the Evo VI T.M Rally.

Back