Rally in Gran Turismo 7: Should it Stay or Go?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 277 comments

Rallying?

• Get rid of it

• Keep it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Strittan

Premium
Sweden
Sweden
Strittan
Let’s be honest. The rallying in Gran Turismo has never been very good, has it? Actually, I’d like to say it’s been bloody awful, but that’s me. I’ve hardly even touched it in GT Sport.

I say leave rallying to the Dirt and WRC games, but what do you say? Do we need it to take up space in yet another GT title?

Im Im keeping my fingers crossed that the Michelin tire physics collaboration and immensely more powerful processing power will afford a much more advanced physics system. I say give them 1 more chance, and who knows maybe they hit it outta the park.

Last edited:
Im Im keeping my fingers crossed that the Michelin tire physics collaboration and immensely more powerful processing power will afford a much more advanced physics system. I say give them 1 more chance, and who knows maybe they it outta the park.
The physics is not the biggest problem in my opinion. The rally implementation as a whole is. There’s no rally stages to begin with, and the roads on the dirt tracks/circuits, or what to call them, are far too wide. It’s all very weird, and it’s always been like that.

Same as the NASCAR implementation in GT5/6, which was complete garbage and didn’t resemble NASCAR at all.

Last edited:
The physics is not the biggest problem in my opinion. The rally implementation as a whole is. There’s no rally stages to begin with, and the roads on the dirt tracks/circuits, or what to call them, are far too wide. It’s all very weird, and it’s always been like that I feel.

Yes - a rally where you can drive more quickly while your car isn't even on the track is strange indeed!

Rally in GTS feels very strange with a wheel - I presume it also does with a hand controller.

I didn't vote either way - I know some people love GTS and love rallying. Maybe it will get better!

I'm just going to go ahead and say keep it. Assuming we get every car and track from Sport in GT7, these Group B cars already exist, and the tracks exist as well so there really isn't a point in getting rid of them. I don't think they should add more of it, but why remove it when it's there already?

(also, the Group B cars are fun to race on tracks like Suzuka Short, Streets of Willow, Sardegna C, etc. Those really short and twisty tracks)

If they can refine GT5's point to point and add the magic feel of GT3 I'd be happy. Otherwise it's been a drag and not very enjoyable to play through so if they have no intention of such improvements or similar then not much reason to keep it around. Rally cars being added is still fine by me!

Ok, so I'm not that much against keeping what's already been made, but I don't want them to waste their resources for developing any more rally tracks and cars. No one will buy GT7 for having those, while a lot of passionate GTS players would really appreciate Gran Turismo having a couple more racing tracks and cars.

If they plan to not design proper tight rally tracks,proper offroad physics and proper terrain details like mud,snow etc. , than it's better to get rid of it.

If they can refine GT5's point to point and add the magic feel of GT3 I'd be happy. Otherwise it's been a drag and not very enjoyable to play through so if they have no intention of such improvements or similar then not much reason to keep it around. Rally cars being added is still fine by me!
GT3 : Lancer Evo at Tahiti Maze. Perfection! I loved the handling, it was so fun. No feeling at all in the next GTs IMO.

Keep it. I had great moments on Gt4 with the Peugeot 205 Turbo in a mixed tarmac/snow stage in "Charmonix?"

Also with snow tracks in gt5 and gt6.

Also with short stages inside the small oval stadium track in GTS. Group B with sport tyres are awesome to drive in every gts track. That has potential to grow.

Circuit de la Sierra, track editor, inside stadium stages or gymkanas, mixed tarmac/snow and tarmac/dirt tracks...

All of this is a plus. Not forgeting new group B cars, 80's rally cars, 90's rally cars, classic rally cars...

GT’s interpretation of rally doesn’t really hold a candle to other rally sims/games. Never draws me in.

So assuming that it’s taking some development resources away from creating or refining content/features elsewhere in the game (ie. those resources could be put towards developing dynamic weather/time on road circuits, more realistic road driving physics/tyre model, additional cars and road circuits), in that case I’d prefer to see rallying left out in exchange for said additional content or features elsewhere.

By “rally” I assume you mean dirt tracks. If so, then I think the wide dirt racing circuits could go.

I would like to see some narrow tracks though (regardless of surface material), for the purpose of time trials. There has been too few of them since GT4. Goodwood Hillclimb was a nice exception though.

There's lots of Rally cars that I'd like to see in the game, so I would like a mode that enables us to use them on different surfaces. I'm not fussed that the format doesn't match point to point stage rallies, it's circuit racing on dirt... I can accept that. I'd like to see snow or ice added too.

That's basically my stance on most types of racing. GT is about cars for me, I want the cars. If we've got the cars, I want an appropriate place to race them. I'm not fussed if the event format isn't representative of real life. I'd like to see drift, drag, kart and rally better implemented. Mixed surface courses would be a bonus, and I'd even like to see an autocross creator too (again, they'd need to sort slow speed physics out).

I think PD should allocate a separate smaller team dedicated to rally physics and rally tracks, allow for long point to point tracks, uphill and downhill designs, dry gravel vs. mud, remove invisible wall barriers etc.

A single guy made this track mod for Richard Burns Rally and it is more fun and visually more appealing than any of PD's original rally circuits.

I do agree that the rally tracks doesn't resemble rally at all. But don't get rid of the rally cars available in the game. I absolutely think GT should dare to be different for rally and not make them just circuit race with perpetual drifts.

By getting rid of it altogether, I worry that the final form of the physics engine would be lacking, as regardless of the vehicle, when a tire goes off of tarmac it should react realistically.
Honestly I think it is pretty decent now as is. I just feel the side bite of the tires could use work, turn in always feels a little floaty and sliding too icy. It needs more dynamicism, between surfaces and conditions.
I think alot of people, and this goes for super cars and hyper cars as well, think these cars have no brakes, but always forget how fast they are actually going. It takes ALOT to slow down a tonne of metal hurdling along at 150-300 km/h.
But don't get me wrong the physics could be better and needs some work.

I'd rather they focus on giving us more refined features. I don't want rally to be half assed again. But i don't want PD removing rally cars from the title either. I hardly use them myself but I'd feel for the people who do and/or are big rally fans. It is such a respected motor racing dscipline and has contributed to the automobile industry as much as F1 and Enduro racing.

Maybe pd will supprise us and actually give us real rally stages, and perhaps fantasy ones. Going round a gravel,dirt or snow circuit is okay... I don't want them scrapped, but i'd enjoy point to point style of racing for rally so much more.

Checkpoint races on rally stages would really encourage me to partake in rally content in GT if they included it. Learning the corners to a virtual TT Isle of man or Pikespeak in GT would just be too awesome or just any real life rally stage in general.

A GR.B rally class system like the road GR classes would be great and make sense too.

If PD can at least do a WRC type of theme for rally then I'd say rally content should be here to stay. If not just carry over the rally tracks and cars from GTS and leave it at that, spend more time on making endurance racing feasible instead but hey thats another issue all together.

It’s definitely one of the more underutilized racing categories in the game. Other than GT League, you can’t do a full grid in custom races. Also, I don’t think a dirt stage has ever been implemented for Sport Mode. That leaves lobbies as the only way to make better use of the cars and tracks.

I prefer they keep it. It’s been a staple since GT2, but it doesn’t feel like it’s evolved all that much.

Back