Rally in Gran Turismo 7: Should it Stay or Go?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 277 comments

Rallying?

• Get rid of it

• Keep it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Get rid of it.

Theres finite resources and every shoddy 'rally' course and rally variant of car in the game means one less road course and one less car to race on them.

It can't be justified, even PD doesn't even want you to use it.

If they cant expand upon it (given Codemasters holds rights to all things WRC..) Maybe let it go. Would break my heart honestly, loved it since GT2/3 but.. it's implementation by todays standards isn't as great as it was in the PS2 days.

I think rally cross would be a much better fit for Gran Turismos style of setting up races. The current rally tracks look nothing like rally tracks though so they would all need to go. Doubt anyone would miss them.

I voted in keeping it. But for that, IMO it needs an complete overhaul.
Rallying in GT games reminds me old school 90's arcade games like, Sega Rally. I think it's time to move on: more realistic tracks, point to point, rallycross, SSS...
GT5's random genereted tracks would be a good feature.

I voted to get rid of it.... But please keep the cars!

I always had more fun with the rally cars in regular GT races, than in the rally events. GT4s tight tarmac rallies are the exception here.

Frankly, expecting GT to have "Authentic" or "good" rally physics is making a mistake right out the gate. Expecting them to get rid of it after it's been in every game since GT2 is a pointless exercise in wishfulment. Knowing PD, they're gonna keep it whether you want it or not so its best to just get Dirt Rally or The official WRC games for your authentic rally experience, while GT will likely have it once again just to purely justify having Rally cars anymore (at least that what it feels like at this point).

Also (Incoming hot take), let's stop using the resource argument. It's just a fancier way of saying you didn't get what you want, just say it instead of hiding behind a word that never has any hard data to back it up everytime its used specifically to address people not getting the cars they want.

Also (Incoming hot take), let's stop using the resource argument. It's just a fancier way of saying you didn't get what you want, just say it instead of hiding behind a word that never has any hard data to back it up everytime its used specifically to address people not getting the cars they want.

The 'resource' argument absolutely needs to be pointed out because some here advocating for GT to be all things to all people genuinely don't understand that the more rally cars and tracks you have, the less racing/road cars and tracks will be in the game.

It's a pertinent point especially when you have a handful of rally tracks in the game which are essentially unused because they don't even feature in sport mode and are represented by maybe two races in GT League.

Last edited:
Clearly Rallying (more like Dirt Racing) in GT is currently not well supported or left on the back burner, but Dirt Racing (multi surface) racing has always been with GT from the start... It doesn't hurt anyone to leave it as is until the WRX licence free up then maybe PD can do something with it... for now like a few of us has said earlier... it's always good fun to NOT seriously play in the dirt whenever we feel like it...

What's another sandbox ;) Keep it for now, and if PD has the additional resource (as @ShiftingGears said) this should be the next area of improvement.

The 'resource' argument absolutely needs to be pointed out because some here advocating for GT to be all things to all people genuinely don't understand that the more rally cars and tracks you have, the less racing/road cars and tracks will be in the game.

It's a pertinent point especially when you have a handful of rally tracks in the game which are essentially unused because they don't even feature in sport mode and are represented by maybe two races in GT League.

Sounds more like bad planning or questionable priority if you ask me. PD aren't a small studio no matter what some people like to imagine of their lord and savior so I doubt "Resources" are the issue here. GR.X alone sticks out as by far the biggest red flag to me of their planning and or priorities.

I liked the idea of how they were done in GT5, with randomly generated point to point tracks against the clock but with other cars present at delayed intervals; but then they had to go ahead and ruin it by acting like it was a huge big deal that they were only now an officially licenced game of the FIA WRC when the actual implementation into the game was the shallowest and most throwaway it had ever been in the series to that point. With how many rubber stamped collaborations they've done since announcing GT Sport to have more bullet points on the ad copy, I have little hope that they would actually try to improve it to even the level it was in GT4; so they honestly may as well not bother.

But of course they will, because it is another bullet point on the ad copy.

Sounds more like bad planning or questionable priority if you ask me. PD aren't a small studio no matter what some people like to imagine of their lord and savior so I doubt "Resources" are the issue here. GR.X alone sticks out as by far the biggest red flag to me of their planning and or priorities.

Well yes, but that's the same thing, because when people use "resources" in this context it is about PD's priorities and what they allocate their resources to.

I don't think it's going anywhere, considering that I'm very sure Pikes Peak is coming in the next game. I think PD even scanned a Peugeot 208 that was outfitted for it. And I don't mind it sticking around, either, especially if they have more time attack stuff like the Goodwood Hillclimb, or that frankly neat GT5 rally mode, where the courses had some randomization to it, and you even had a co-driver.

I'd love to see the Gr.B group expanded, too, especially since some famous rally manufacturers that seem like a shoe-in are unusually absent, like Lancia and Peugeot. Some other automakers could also debut in Gr.B, like Daihatsu or Porsche. Maybe there could even be a Gr.C for older rally cars from the '70s, like the older Lancer and the Stratos. Either way, I bet the Escudo could fit into Gr.B, somehow, and I think it could be telling that the only real-world rally car in Gr.B is a Pikes Peak car.

I think off-roading is inseparable from GT, for better and worse, but I do look forward to what's next, especially with Michelin's help with the tire modeling, and the possibility of Pikes Peak content coming. I'd also love to see if we get a time attack mode around the Isle of Man course, given the rumors that PD was scanning it, and they added that Isle of Man-spec WRX STI to GT Sport. I don't know if I could imagine racing cars on the Isle of Man, but could certainly see it as a possible successor to the Circuito de la Sierra Time Rally from GT6.

The physics are poor for dirt surfaces in GTS and the tracks are a poorly understood version of rallycross stages, unless they can fix these (and they haven't bothered in the series so far and I doubt they will in the future) then my vote is to get rid of it.

The physics are poor for dirt surfaces in GTS and the tracks are a poorly understood version of rallycross stages, unless they can fix these (and they haven't bothered in the series so far and I doubt they will in the future) then my vote is to get rid of it.
I mean, I'd just make rallying more into point-to-point time attacks, including tarmac courses. More stuff like the GT5 rally mode, or the Goodwood Hillclimb. Heck, instead of even having other cars on the course like an actual rally, you could just make it a time trial event with gold/silver/bronze times.

Nope, GT2 was the first title to have mixed-surface racing in it.

You can seriously see PD being able to put out a dedicated title a year?

GT2 was the first GT game for me, I wasn't aware of GT until GT2 came out, so as far as I am concern... It has always been there lol :D:P

I wasn't referring to PD making a dedicated title just for WRX...

What I intended to mean is that : once the license is free for Kaz to use, they then can better implement the proper physics or what not to improve the mixed surface aspect and sections from the upcoming game...

I totally don't think PD can work on a separate title at this point.... They still have so much work based on everything we are asking them to do here in this forum :dopey::sly: :gtpflag:

Last edited:

I get why the physics needs to be improved, I don't get why it has to mimic the format of an existing series to be included in the game.

I think off-roading is inseparable from GT, for better and worse, but I do look forward to what's next, especially with Michelin's help with the tire modeling, and the possibility of Pikes Peak content coming.

I doubt the tire model alone will make much difference. They need to model a dynamic surface as well.

I don't know if I could imagine racing cars on the Isle of Man, but could certainly see it as a possible successor to the Circuito de la Sierra Time Rally from GT6.

Imagine Sierra, but half the width and with no run off.... and have most corners somewhat blind.

Get rid of it, leave the rally content for dedicated rally games that do it right. PD themselves obviously don't think much of it as I can't remember them releasing any DLC rally cars or tracks in their post-launch updates. Same goes for their Pikes Peak exclusive licence which has been wasted and done absolutely nothing except take it out of Dirt Rally.

Back