Rally in Gran Turismo 7: Should it Stay or Go?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 277 comments

Rallying?

• Get rid of it

• Keep it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Get rid of it because they have been trying to make rally work in their games for 20 years and so far their efforts can be described as "meh" at best.

Awkward physics, weird ass rally circuits instead of proper stages, lack of care and improper implementation in pretty much every main game on the franchise and worse of all: Lack of damage which I see as something essential for a proper rally game that wants to be taken seriously as a simulation.

At least they bothered to implement it a bit with in GT2 and specially GT4, but from GT5 and onwards they all neglected it...And to be honest, their implementation of rally in the games before that wasn't that great.

If I want a proper rally experience, I'll just fire up Dirt Rally 2.0, now that's a proper rally game.

So yeah, get rid of and focus on implementing other areas or add other forms of motorsports content and actually implement them.

Last edited:
Keep it, but maybe they can replace rally with some kind of time attack events? But from A to B. With the Goodwood Festival Of Speed hill climb, Isle of man, Pikes Peak and/or parts of the nordschleife. In the ADAC Rally Deutschland 1998 they had a rally test on the Nordschleife. Here are images of it:

They could also adapt pieces from old circuits like the Eiger Nordwand from, Citta di Aria etc .. to A to B time attack events.

Rally in Gran Turismo has always been very poor with incredibly loose handling. PD hit upon a few decent circuits over the years.

The inclusion of rally always struck me as a 'ticking of a box' and never a fully committed to element.
If rally disappeared from the series I for one wouldn't care in the slightest.

Bottom line: if they want to make an effort and I implement proper rally stages and acquire proper licenses, then keep it.

If the license costs too much or has an exclusivity deal with Code Masters than get rid of it altogether. I'm tired of the dirt/snow/gravel highways.

The same reason why their racing circuits resemble racing circuits.

I'd say having racing circuits resemble racing circuits was the most sensible option. Imagine trying to hold a Gr.3 race on a hill-climb course? A circuit allows for multiple competitors and a scaleable distance, only having to model a few miles of tarmac... you just wouldn't do it any other way.

I don't see point to point being as obviously sensible just because the surface is different. I get why people might not consider it a 'rally', or 'rallycross'... but why does it have to be point to point just because the surface is mud/dirt/snow?

I'm not against point to point rallying by the way, I'd welcome its inclusion, but I don't see the lack of it as being justification to junk rallying completely.

I'd like to see Rally kept in the GT model :) Some people do actually like it and I have been playing GT since the beginning and the Rally section has always appealed to me and played a part in the enjoyment of the game at some point.. Recently though with GT Sport it has wavered away slightly but I would still like to see some more Rallying in GT7 no matter what! just to add another element to the game 👍
It does no harm being there and if you don't like Rally then just avoid that section I suppose :P Here's some of my old rally vids from various GT titles to show it isn't as bad as it's made out to be ;)

GT3

GT4

GT5

GT Sport

Anyway in a nutshell some people do enjoy the rally events and I'm one of them and would like to see it still have a place in GT7... so If PD ever read this?!! nudge.. nudge.. wink wink!! ;) Keep the rally coming 👍

:cheers:

I'd like to see Rally kept in the GT model :) Some people do actually like it and I have been playing GT since the beginning and the Rally section has always appealed to me and played a part in the enjoyment of the game at some point.. Recently though with GT Sport it has wavered away slightly but I would still like to see some more Rallying in GT7 no matter what! just to add another element to the game 👍
It does no harm being there and if you don't like Rally then just avoid that section I suppose :P Here's some of my old rally vids from various GT titles to show it isn't as bad as it's made out to be ;)

GT3

GT4

GT5

GT Sport

Anyway in a nutshell some people do enjoy the rally events and I'm one of them and would like to see it still have a place in GT7... so If PD ever read this?!! nudge.. nudge.. wink wink!! ;) Keep the rally coming 👍

:cheers:

One of the most nostalgic images I have of the first video game of my life - GT4 - was a replay in Chamonix with Pontiac Solstice, slow pace, and Daiki Kasho's song "It's All About You" in the background. I no longer have the PS2 but I will try to redo it if there is a retro on the PS5.

I’m kind of indecisive on this one. GT games have always featured rallying of some sort, however I feel like quality of rallying in GT5 and later games went downhill and right now PD should focus on other, more important things, like bringing original circuits back, improving physics, etc.

I say only bring rally back if PD re-introduces some legacy tracks like Tahiti and such. This way, even if the physics are ****, we can justify it by being nostalgic.

I'd say having racing circuits resemble racing circuits was the most sensible option. Imagine trying to hold a Gr.3 race on a hill-climb course? A circuit allows for multiple competitors and a scaleable distance, only having to model a few miles of tarmac... you just wouldn't do it any other way.

It's the most sensible option because it's a racing game, it resembles actual racing.

Actual rally stages could allow ghost cars or split times for one. If they were interested in actual rallying, that's how it would be implemented.

I don't see point to point being as obviously sensible just because the surface is different. I get why people might not consider it a 'rally', or 'rallycross'... but why does it have to be point to point just because the surface is mud/dirt/snow?

It doesn't have to be point to point. But if its a circuit and it doesnt resemble rallycross, it's just some arcade mess that has no grounding in reality.

I'm not against point to point rallying by the way, I'd welcome its inclusion, but I don't see the lack of it as being justification to junk rallying completely.

Well that's the issue. What's in the game isn't rallycross, and it isn't rallying, and it isn't used. It's just half arsed.

On it's own, having rally circuits instead of rally stages is not enough of a good reason to ditch rally, obviously. But we are pointing out more reasons than that.

For starters, they haven't paid too much attention to the category throughout the whole series, in GT2 and GT4 they implemented it into the main game more than the others, but it still felt like a half-assed effort.

In GTS it's a completely forgotten category, as it was never featured in sport mode and it's quite rare to find it in lobbies.
The fact that there are only 3 dirt tracks doesn't help its case...And then there's the snowy tracks, which are nonexistent.

Worse of all here is that apparently PD doesn't even get how rally is raced...Rally is raced on DANGEROUS tracks.

Dangerous because they are narrow, with blind and sharp corners everywhere and have obstacles such as trees, boulders, wood piles, poles and others, and crashing into them can effectively end your entire run.
The only track that got remotely close to what a proper rally stage looks like in real life is the Grand Canyon track in GT4...And you won't even fall off the canyons of that track either because there are invisible barriers preventing you to do so.

The sport is anything but safe and that's the entire point behind it.

But in Gran Turismo there is no danger at all, because the tracks are too large and clear of any chances of you hitting any obstacle outside the courses, and it you happen to crash your car into a barrier, nothing happens! Not even a message saying you crashed the car to hard and had to be DNF due to terminal damage.

And then we have the weird driving physics on dirt and snow which just doesnt feel right ever since their first foray into the category.

Like the other poster said here, rally just feels like a category they put in the game solely to get that box ticked and move on.

Last edited:
I prefer they keep it. It’s been a staple since GT2, but it doesn’t feel like it’s evolved all that much.
Do you realize how crazy this sounds? It’s like keeping a car that doesn’t run even though you don’t intend to fix it.

I see this sort of nonsense reasoning throughout the whole thread.

Why keep something that’s broken?

Do you realize how crazy this sounds? It’s like keeping a car that doesn’t run even though you don’t intend to fix it.

I see this sort of nonsense reasoning throughout the whole thread.

Why keep something that’s broken?

You might want to dial it back a bit. You’re making assumptions off of a fairly innocuous post.

What makes you think that I wouldn’t want to see them make some meaningful improvements to it? Of course I do. I even listed some of the issues I had with the way it was handled in GT Sport. But for whatever reason, you chose only to quote the second paragraph of my original post. I just don’t want to see them get rid of it when theres’s room to improve, especially if they’re able to address some of these shortcomings on the PS5.

Last edited:
You might want to dial it back a bit. You’re making assumptions off of a fairly innocuous post.

What makes you think that I wouldn’t want to see them make some meaningful improvements to it? Of course I do. I even listed some of the issues I had with the way it was handled in GT Sport. But for whatever reason, you chose only to quote the second paragraph of my original post. I just don’t want to see them get rid of it when theres’s room to improve, especially if they’re able to address some of these shortcomings on the PS5.

None of PDs issues with 'rally' are because of hardware issues though. Their issue is that they just don't get it, or care enough too get it right.

Last edited:
None of PDs issues with 'rally' are because of hardware issues though. Their issue is that they just don't get it, or care enough too get it right.

I didn’t say, or even imply, that they were specifically due to hardware limitations. Are you getting that from me simply mentioning the PS5? I only brought it up since that’s the likeliest platform for the next title. For context, you might want to go back and read the post that Strittan quoted.

They should get rid of it, if they can't do it as well as the tarmac stuff then Don't do it. It's always been pretty crappy ever since gt4. They should hire the guys from project cars and assetto that do the physics and tyre models and fix the issues and make it more of a Sim, but have a simcade mode as well for beginners. Once they fix that then attempt dirt in gt8

I want different grip characteristics on the differing surfaces, on most rally courses taking the straightest lines is always fastest, even if you're cutting through 20 feet of grass and what should be mud instead of actually staying on track. It should be faster to use the track, especially if they had deforming terrain, where the racing line might have less gravel and debris and more of packed surface.

Get rid of it.

Use your precious recourses to make the thing you’re really good at.

And rally is not it.

In it's current state, it should go. If PD really want to do rally, they have to go all in or else it's a massive waste of time. Rally has never been that compelling in GT games, especially with the lack of proper stages. However the GT5 Rally event went someway to addressing this. Turns out that stood for nothing as it hasn't showed up since. The other alternative would be rallycross, which I believe would be more suited to GT.

If they decide to keep it i hope they introduce point to point tight rally stages (or in alternative rallycross tracks) and not wide tracks that look more like highways than rally tracks

They're awful, but i want them to keep it, it's been there since the second game, but first of all, PD has to update the rally physics.

Richards Burn Rally had the ultimate rally physics back in 2004 IIRC, and the studio who created it was pretty much nonexistent. What i mean is that, when you compare Warthog Games with PD, you'd think that PD is able to create the ultimate master simulator lol.

I'd prefer they keep it, maybe refine it more (bring it up to par with Dirt or WRC? One can dream :)). Bring back old tracks, bring back more rally cars.......

In my opinion it would be much better if rallying in GT7 would only consist of twisty tarmac roads with lots of dust on it so you can slide, but not that much like on dirt. And jumps, we need jumps. I think that would bring the best of both worlds together.

Was banned here 10~ years ago [hence alt] and really don't care if I'm banned again but I've noticed the people calling for rallying to be axed are very new members and probably people who got into GT with the 7th gen games, ralllying while shoddy has always been a part of GT and sperging out because its not perfect and wanting it axed for "more time on something else" is ridiculous, let's hope it stays

Back