Rally in Gran Turismo 7: Should it Stay or Go?

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 277 comments

Rallying?

• Get rid of it

• Keep it

Results are only viewable after voting.
From what we scene so far looks identical to GT Sport with a little enhancements.

Hoping they utilise the CPU create great AI and Physics... Trees are still 2D

From what we scene so far looks identical to GT Sport with a little enhancements.

Hoping they utilise the CPU create great AI and Physics... Trees are still 2D

Can you imagine how beautiful a GT game would be if the backgrounds and environments were as in depth and detailed as FFVII Remake!!

Apparently I'm no technology expert so I suppose I'll retract most of my original statements. It would be nice if a GT game had and option for total sim physics though even though it would be nigh impossible to play without a wheel. if they somehow managed that and made it a optional setting that would be amazing though.

Can you imagine how beautiful a GT game would be if the backgrounds and environments were as in depth and detailed as FFVII Remake!!

Apparently I'm no technology expert so I suppose I'll retract most of my original statements. It would be nice if a GT game had and option for total sim physics though even though it would be nigh impossible to play without a wheel. if they somehow managed that and made it a optional setting that would be amazing though.

PS4 achieved this level of circuit detail with 1.84TF... I think its Baked.

i1SnAPyRdd0N78E.jpg

This PS5 has 10.28, just over 5x with Super SSD, 16GB Ram, way better CPU.

Dynamic time is a enhancement but I hope the lighting engine / shaders change.

Asseto Corsa Competizione circuits already look a Generation ahead of GT7 at this stage.

i1SnAPyRdd0N78E.jpg

Asseto Corsa Competizione circuits already look a Generation ahead of GT7 at this stage.

Thanks to glorious capitalism its likely gt7 will be gts enhanced, with a true next gen gt8 5 years later, still way better than what happened on ps4... The standard of games as ps5 nears the end of its cycle will be far superior to first releases its always this way...

Thanks to glorious capitalism its likely gt7 will be gts enhanced, with a true next gen gt8 5 years later, still way better than what happened on ps4... The standard of games as ps5 nears the end of its cycle will be far superior to first releases its always this way...

Polyphony always change there mind every generation beginning with deciding to use Current engine.

Hope this is the case again because Forza might look better.

I know I'm in a minority, but I absolutely love it. I wouldn't want 'proper' rallying in Gran Turismo (if I wanted to do that I'd get one of the excellent rally games already available) but I do enjoy the GT implementation of rally/racing.

As usual, it's all very subjective, but I'm hoping for continuing support for it in GT7.

i1SnAPyRdd0N78E.jpg

That's beautiful scenery and detail in that picture, thanks for sharing! I wonder what the PS5 will be able to as far as lush, intricate, detailed environments are concerned.

Dirt tracks are fun and all, but what about snow tracks? Those seemed to have gotten axed, though oddly the tyres remain available in the menu but unusable.

...as of this state (GTS), it simply isn't good enough, so I'd rather not have it, and besides, we have only ONE rally car.

If they bring in more rally cars, and make a bit more attractive tracks, even tracks from earlier GT games would be just fine, then yes, keep it...

It's absolutely terrible and always has been. There is nothing "rally" about their implementation. No navigator, no spoken directions, terrible physics, awkward circuits, unimpressive mud/dirt effects. No rally atmosphere whatsoever. Not worth diverting development resources from other features.

Last edited:
Last time i had at least some fun with rally was maybe back in GT2. And even that wasnt so much fun. Unless we have proper SS and navigator and a number of other things, its a waste of developing time. There are many games which can cover this. And much better or in least more enjoyable way.

call it rallycross and give us some mixed surface circuits thanks

that GT Arena from GT5 would be really neat to set up a buncha courses in.

I think they should keep it but improves the physics make it feel like Dirt Rally 2.0

Sadly I really don't see that happening. GT rally physics have essentially been the same bizarre no grip, slidey ice physics since they introduced it in GT2. If they haven't got it close to realistic in 6 games, I don't expect them to suddenly manage it now.

They should have canned it long ago and focused on the core of the game, but I expect it will return mostly untouched and unloved in GT7.

Sadly I really don't see that happening. GT rally physics have essentially been the same bizarre no grip, slidey ice physics since they introduced it in GT2. If they haven't got it close to realistic in 6 games, I don't expect them to suddenly manage it now.

They should have canned it long ago and focused on the core of the game, but I expect it will return mostly untouched and unloved in GT7.
you do have to mention no would be a pretty cool refresh to the game series

Rally needs a course creator to be viable. PD don't have the bandwidth to do anything on the level of DiRT Rally. The whole point of rally stages/racing is a level of unpredictability. If you are doing the same 5 tracks over and over again, with the same conditions... it's not really rally.

Rally needs a course creator to be viable. PD don't have the bandwidth to do anything on the level of DiRT Rally. The whole point of rally stages/racing is a level of unpredictability. If you are doing the same 5 tracks over and over again, with the same conditions... it's not really rally.

Yeah, I really liked the randomly-generated courses of GT5's Special Event for rally.

Otherwise, I think rally should stay, as it's been a part of GT for too long. I personally would hope Gr.B gets expanded with more real-world Group B rally cars from prior GT games like the Peugeot 205 T16, Citroen BX 4TC, Renault 5 Maxi Turbo, Mitsubishi Starion 4WD, Nissan 240RS, and Lancia Delta S4, with additions from other automakers like Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, and other potential automakers like MG. Some automakers could even have multiple options, as Ford could potentially have the Mustang and Focus Gr.B, but also the RS200. Another example was Lancia, if it gets both the 037 and the return of the Delta S4, and then Audi could have both iterations of the Quattro from GT6, as only the Pikes Peak version of the Quattro returned for GT Sport. Then, perhaps, there could also a "Gr.C" for pre-Group B rally cars, like the Lancia Stratos and Nissan Bluebird, as well as a group for post-Group B rally cars like the Suzuki Escudo, the Citroen C4 WRC, or the Tajima E-Runner.

I think having an interesting, perhaps even anachronistic group of cars in the same class is part of both Gran Turismo itself, and what makes its events fun to both participate in and spectate. The Gr.3 class is a good example of this, with made-for-game race cars, FIA GT3, a GT car from the mid-90s, a FIA GT1 car from the late 00s, and GTE cars, with Super GT300 cars being a likely fit as well.

Last edited:
it won't be the first time Gran Turismo has done that do you remember in GT6 used to have a track creator

To be honest, I don't like the rally part at all. Never did. Just because the tracks are not made of asphalt, doesn't make it rally. Strange physics.
I never understood why PD did it.
But you can leave it alone, that's the good part

I love how you put in the debate and voting like we actually saw rally at once:lol::lol:..
Oh yeah we did. In Circuit Experience.
And in online Time Trials.
Wow....

Well, hey there PD agent secretly reading this:sly:
Personally I don't do rally races because there's no fun doing so myself. I mean, I would be interested because it's fun but not doing pointless laps alone..
There are never lobbies with dirt tracks and rally concept neither did we ever see a rally race in weekly races or FIA..
I have never seen a league organizing a rally race either.
GT7 will have quite some returning tracks and I'm pretty sure some will be dirt and snow too. Or atleast through monthly updates (if they keep this concept).
Also, why the 🤬 do we have snow tyres in the game though? I remember we all were kind of happy with that and expecting snow to appear.
Yeah, I understand that no-snow thing probably because PS4 gen..
But I expect to see both dirt and snow in GT7 in a wider variety such as in more campaign missions/challenges.

Last but not least, rally is going to stay in the game even if that's only for showcasing purposes (meaning if no one ever touches it). New DS5 adaptive triggers and vibration should be there to show you the difference between tarmac and dirt. So yeah, they're keeping it.

Last edited:
Gravel/snow rally tracks - leave it unless they can improve the physics. Weird thing is, the first time we see rally in GT back in GT2, the physics were actually decent back then (at least compared to the competition e.g. CMR/V-Rally). But everyone else improved while GT remains this quasi Sega Rally simcade clone. And before you say it's impossible for a game too have both good tarmac and loose surface physics, Automobilista and LFS managed it. I believe PCARS1/2 did as well but I haven't personally played it.

Rally cars - keep it for historical reasons and you can still drive them on tarmac, which brings me to the following point...

Tarmac rally - I'd like proper narrow winding roads introduced in the game. Just have one from each Japan (touge), Europe (Col de Turini/Transfagarasan) and America (Pikes Peak). Not great for racing (except maybe 1v1), but will be great for TT and general driving enjoyment.

Last edited:
If they can add a lot of really good dirt tracks (e.g. Grand Canyon) and snow tracks, as well as a large variety of classic, modern and original rally cars (e.g. Group A - Gr. A class, actual Group B, buggies, rallycross supercars, hillclimb cars, rally raid cars, trophy trucks) then rally should stay.

Last edited:
I would say its a forgone conclusion we get the same Group B class with the same damn cars and Sardegna and Fishermans Bend and all the rest.

They wouldnt waste a chance to bolster the car and track list with this.

I dont think its that bad per se but they really need to use these assets better... how about Chamonix Eiger Nordwand all all the snow dirt and tarmac rallies in the past.

Also how about a full amateur and professional series + true Rallycross with joker laps.

I'm not sure if you guys want a fix to the rally drive model? I'm ok with it.

Back