Status
Not open for further replies.

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Venezuela
CCS
GTP_Diego
I think it's great that there are so many new members submitting pictures to the competitions and also that many older members have gotten on the same ride. Seriously, the more the merrier.

However, it seems that the policy of every picture making it to the poll is getting out of hand. I can't argue much since I've only been part of these competitions in the last 5 weeks maybe, but I've heard similar complaints coming from longer standing members.

The point is, there are too many pictures to choose from, which is prompting the voting to be biased. Some people are scrolling down until they see a nice pic and they'll then vote for it, without scrolling to the end and making their mind up then. And those are the ones who actually take the time for the page to load; some others just click on the one that loaded first. Still, can't blame anyone for being lazy.

Solution: I'm stealing this idea from the Artistic photmode competition, but what we could do is that everyone posts their picture on ImageShack, as we've been doing it for so long... notice ImageShack has a rating system for the pictures. So, once you've uploaded you picture, you give yourself a rating of 10 (to avoid cheaters) and subsequently, everyone who is part of the competition rates everyone else's picture. In the end, we get a top 10.

Pros:
- We can measure beforehand how good or bad a picture is.
- Every picture is pre-voted for.
- Less pictures make it to the final poll, and thus creates a fairer competition.
- Less loading times for the final poll.
- Fiercer competition, since everyone will work better towards getting a better pic.

Cons:
- Every voter has to vote twice, once to create the top ten and second in the poll.
- (I think) ImageShack allows you to vote more than once for the picture; but that could be remedied, since you only count the votes according to the number of entries. Or we'll work something out.
-If ImageShack is down, comp is down... but that also happens with the normal competition.

So... I think this issue is arguable. Thoughts? Opinions?

Sounds like a very good idea. Means you will get better votes and more votes, because there will be less final images to trawl through to find a winner.

If definately for the idea.

I think the winner of last weeks comp should choose the top 10. The rating system in the artistic comp is because it's art and you can't really choose a top 10 in art.

So I think the winner should choose the top 10 and it would be nice.

i think that having the winner choose the top 10 isnt a very good idea because that person might be bias towards another contestant for one reason or another. im not accusing anybody of being bias but the opportunity will be availble.

true there will be bias with the imageshack rating system but the bias wont be as great of an influence towards the top 10 as the traditional 'previous winner choosing the top 10' system

The only issue I have against the winner choosing the top 10 is that the decision relies on ONE person. The decision of creating the top ten and choosing the winner should depend on all... me thinks.

I too have been thinking about this (partly because Diego440 mentioned it to me a week or so back and because Swift spoke to me about it recently too) the final verdict and most logical unbiased way is to reintroduce the previous winner choosing system. I discarded this some time ago due to people no entering the comps and i thought it might make the DPC more appealing if people knew there photos would be in the poll however it is getting silly now and need fixing. Also people never used to send me there top ten but i have overcome this with a select list of people who i can ask to give me the HONEST top 10.

Thanks

Spec....

since the solution to this has already been applied and no one else seems to have any issues with it, I think its served its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back