RCKakashi14's GT Sport Fanfiction - ON HOLD

20190904203544.jpg

THE BOOM II: GOLDEN ERA

The untold story of Gerhard Kern, a name that once graced through Europe's motorsport history, in particular, arguably, the greatest era of racing.

Abel Kern shall narrate the tale of his beloved older brother, who got embroiled into series of events that left a profound impact that lingers on to the present day.

Will the story make its way to Kevin?

Timeline: Set before the Chapter 4 of The Boom. The story takes place after this page.

Page 1: The Widowmaker

Time: 11 am

A gust of wind greets the two men as Abel is about to share his tale. He wipes off the tear from his cheek as he begins his narration.

Abel: "How many years has it been? Perhaps thirty? Well, my memory is still fresh, similar to the wounds that I thought would heal by time."

Even after revealing Kevin's true father, Alexei didn't show signs of shock. He truly is dedicated to hear Abel out, for the sake of getting to the bottom of the problem, and set things right once and for all.

Alexei: "So it was over thirty years ago? Never knew this mess would linger this long."

Abel: "Indeed. I never thought I'd see the day of me telling this tale. I don't want to share it, but if I leave it be, then we would overwhelmed by this storm forever.

Should Kevin know about this? Even I cannot say. Right now, I'm still in a dilemma of how to find Gerhard's missing 930."

Alexei: "If I were you, you'd better keep this secret. Just between the two of us. It will also make my job easier that way."

Abel: "Even then, the truth will find a way."

Abel looks up the sunny sky, not minding the noon time sun glare.

Abel: "Let me begin."

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Abel: "It all began in a quaint little home that my brother and I share in Stuttgart. You could say we're well off, since my father, Ernst, runs a textile manufacturing business while my mother, Gloria, owns a clothing store.

However, both Gerhard and I pursued different interests from our parents. My father's way in handling machinery inspired us both to take up engineering degrees in our college days. Gerhard took up Electrical Engineering while I was studying Mechanical Engineering. However, my brother has already graduated, while I'm still two years away from completing my degree.

Gerhard's obsession with machines took a step further. He tinkers cars for a living. And not just that, that was the impetus for him start a racing team.

Which took him a lot of convincing to our father.

To make that happen, he purchased a Porsche 930 - which for us Germans was a machine that most can only dream of owning, let alone drive one.

20191020071201.jpg

Abel: "He also got busy in finding new members for his team. He was able to find one...

One day, while I was heading to the kitchen to help myself with a snack, I saw Gerhard tinkering the brand new 930. Only a few tuners at the time can get the most out of it, and it takes a lot of money."

Abel: "You've been working on that thing since morning."

Gerhard: "I'm impressed with what Porsche did here, but after almost crashing at the Nordschleife, it tells me that it isn't perfect."

Abel: "He almost crashed at the Nurburgring when he first took that car out for a spin. It did literally spin, which frustrated him a lot considering that he was excited to drive at the Nordschleife for the first time."

Abel: "Mom gave you an earful after hearing what happened."

Abel: "Then I saw him unwrapping something on the desk filled with car parts. It was a larger turbine. As if the 930's surge of power wasn't enough to excite him."

Abel: "Is that a...?"

Gerhard: "A bigger turbo, yes. I want more power. This baby has to tackle the likes of Ferraris and Lamborghinis."

Abel: "You're crazy about power, huh?"

Gerhard: "But hey, it has to be properly put down to the ground, am I right? The car's already got a new suspension and racing tires. It also has a new five-speed transmission, from RUF Automobile."

Abel: "Turbocharging back then was in its infancy, and adding a bigger turbo was basically a death wish at the time. Boost management wasn't even heard of at the time either.

Despite my pessimism towards that, I still believe my brother can manage it. He learned from his mistake."

Abel: "Well, whatever you're planning to do, just come back in one piece, okay?"

Gerhard: "I'll test this out tomorrow. Want to come?"

Abel: "Sure. I've got nothing to do anyway."

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Abel: "The next day, his testing began. We head out to the hills on the outskirts of Stuttgart. Gerhard always wants me to be his passenger. We've bonded so much on his drives. Sometimes, he could even vent out his angst towards our parents to me. We were so close. I could really tell how much he loved me, because I was always willing to listen as much as he does to me."

20191020071210.jpg

Abel: "I can clearly hear the loud hiss of the new turbocharger. The acceleration was neck-snapping. I was literally clinging on for dear life."

Abel: "Just how much horsepower does this car now have?!"

Abel: "And I can really tell Gerhard's excitement by the look of his face. His smile was bigger than it was on his first run at the Nurburgring."

Gerhard: "Around 400, I think? It's ready to take on those Italian big boys."

20191020071216.jpg

Abel: "400 horsepower?! That's crazy!"

Abel: "400 horsepower at that time was like the hypercar territory of today. Only a few brave souls would dare drive a car of that caliber."

Gerhard: "Here comes the turn!"

20191020071223.jpg

Abel: "I can also clearly remember how precise his footwork and shifting method was. He dove that car into that corner with gusto, and surprisingly it didn't break traction."

Gerhard: "This is still a handful, though. But I'm getting the hang of driving this."

20191020071230.jpg

Alexei: "So it's established that he's very skilled, then?"

Abel: "He studied the movements of race car drivers in the racing videos he would watch all night. And of course he would get pointers from various drivers he would meet on his weekend drives."

20191020071238.jpg

Abel: "By the way, Gerhard, who's this new member of your team?"

Gerhard: "His name is Maximilian Marsh. I met him along with his father, who got interested in investing in the team, in exchange for his son joining and learning to race. I'm really happy. My racing career would finally kick off!"

Abel: "That name would change our lives forever."

20191020071246.jpg

Abel: "My brother was in total glee, having loved the 930 more than ever. I was amazed on how it stay composed on the turns. The 930 as we all know had the reputation to be very fast but also demanding skilled hands."

20191020071253.jpg

Gerhard: "This is all worth it! The sleepless nights and frustration finally paid off! Nurburgring, I shall return!"

Abel:
"I would never ever forget how much he was dedicated to conquer The Green Hell. I saw it in his eyes, the vigor... the same vigor that we see from Kevin whenever he races. Like father, like son indeed."

End of Page 1

Page 2: Maximum

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

Abel: "Ugh..."

Alexei: "What is it?"

Abel: "I'm not too comfortable telling a story in a cemetery. Let us go. I'll resume as I drive along."

The two men then get out of the cemetery. The ominous feeling one can get from such a depressing place is shaken off once Abel gets behind the helm of his Audi TT.

Upon buckling up the seat belt, his phone suddenly rings. It's Julie on the other line.

Abel: "Hello?"

Julie: "Where are you, guys? I'm here at the new HQ. Wanna take a look? The furnishing is almost done."

Abel: "I'm in Stuttgart. But I won't mind taking a look there. I'm on my way, then."

Abel turns the key as the call ends. He then puts the dual clutch automatic transmission into Drive.

20191103175712.jpg

As the kilometers eat up, Abel is completely at ease to resume his tale.

Abel: "There, that's much better. It's more relaxing to tell a tale this way."

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Abel: "Then the next day..."

20191103175720.jpg

Abel: "Gerhard offered me to drop me off at school, since he's going there as well, to reminisce his days there.

As we arrived, we were greeted by the sight of his sweetheart, none other than Alicia Schmitz, who also took up electrical engineering and is on her way to graduation once she finishes her thesis.

The couple kiss each other once we're out of the car. I could have asked some privacy, though..."

Abel: "Get a room!"

Gerhard: "All right, whatever. Have fun today, Abel!"

Abel: "I then left the couple and headed towards the building. I have to go to a library and wait for my thesis group mates."

Gerhard: "So, how's your thesis?"

Alicia: "Almost done. What about you? How about your racing team? Are you driving a Formula One car now? Heehee."

Gerhard: "I think the Berlin Wall had to be toppled down first before I get to drive one. I'm just starting, Alicia."

Abel: "A little tidbit - Alicia and her parents were actually refugees from East Germany. They risked their lives crossing the border and she was just a little girl then. Thankfully for her, that was the best decision her parents made."

Alicia: "I'm just encouraging you. Well, this is for the future."

Gerhard: "I know. Tomorrow I'm actually meeting up with a potential investor. I'm getting a step closer."

Alicia: "Glad to hear it. And once I graduate, I will always watch you race. I haven't forgotten how you scared me when you were driving your father's car like crazy."

Abel: "Then the day ended without much happening going on. I decided to tag along with Gerhard on his meeting with Maximilian.

The next day, we met up with Maximilian as planned. And look what his car was - a Ferrari 288 GTO. Clearly he's affluent. Ferrari's 288 GTO was a millionaire's toy."

20191103175726.jpg

Abel: "Maximilian's father - named Maximus - like really, both of them had "Max" in their names. Maximum wealth and success perhaps?

And there it is, I finally met the face that will change our lives forever. He's eager, and seems to look like the part."

Maximilian: "You must be Gerhard Kern. A pleasure to meet you."

Gerhard: "Yes I am. Pleasure to meet you too."

Maximus: "Ah what a wonderful day. My son is clearly eager to run on the race track. It was a dream that had to be realized."

Maximilian: "Well, we can provide a good start for you. And is that your race car? That Porsche?"

Gerhard: "That's correct."

Maximilian: "Well, that's a fine piece of machinery indeed. However, I propose that we use the Ferrari instead. You know, the newer, the better."

Abel: "Maximilian's domineering personality already surfaced. And Gerhard wasn't taking it. However, my brother had a better idea."

Gerhard: "Let's put that theory into test, shall we? And it's a perfect opportunity for me to see your worth."

Maximus: "A wonderful suggestion, Mr. Kern."

Gerhard: "Let us race in a road that surrounds a lake. It's not that far from here."

Abel: "Maximilian quickly jumped in. No hesitation whatsoever."

Maximilian: "All right then. Let's get this done."

20191103175733.jpg

Abel: "It didn't take long for us to head over to the road where Gerhard used to hone his driving skills. The lake was crystal clear, glowing with magnificence.

In the car, Gerhard is putting his driving gloves on. He makes it a point to wear them before he drives at high speeds. In casual driving, however, he doesn't mind them stashed in the glove box."

Abel: "You seem confident, Gerhard."

Gerhard: "I am. And I am eager to teach people like him a lesson. There's are things money can't simply buy."

Abel: "I know. But that's a Ferrari 288 GTO you're dealing with. It's making headlines as the fastest production car. It makes as much power as this car, from the factory."

Gerhard: "Supercars are super... only if the driver is super. Let's go."

Abel: "Without further adieu, the race kicked off. Gerhard let Maximilian take the lead.

20191103175741.jpg

(Background Music: Love and Gold - Yuzo Koshiro)

Abel: "The Ferrari's power is no joke. The turbo lag was less than that of Gerhard's 911."

20191103175747.jpg

Abel: "However, Maximilian was... too eager. Gerhard could have made a decisive victory, but he plays along."

20191103175753.jpg

Abel: "Why did you back off?"

Gerhard: "I want to see where can I lecture him. Sit back and relax."

20191103175800.jpg

Maximilian: "This has 400 horsepower, you fool. Porsches are fast, no doubt. But power is power."

Maximus: "You seem confident, Maximiian. Well, let's see where this goes."

20191103175806.jpg

Abel: "It was as clear as that sunny day, that Maximilian has room for improvement. The Ferrari was sliding, but gotta give credit to Maximilian for controlling it."

20191103175813.jpg

Abel: "And Gerhard's ready to strike."

Gerhard: "He could use a mentor."

Abel: "Huh?"

Gerhard: "I'll show him the way, once he's officially in my team."

20191103175819.jpg

Maximilian: "He's going to pass!"

Abel: "I can clearly hear the loud hiss of the turbocharged flat six engine, as loud as Gerhard's determination to win.

On to the next corner, a 90-degree turn, is where he chose to strike."

20191103175825.jpg

20191103175832.jpg

Abel: "Then this is when the 911's traction start to shine."

20191103175838.jpg

Maximilian: "No way!"

Maximus: "He's the real deal. My investment is worth it after all."

20191103175844.jpg

Abel: "And just like that, we're flying away.

20191103175850.jpg

20191103175856.jpg

Abel: "I saw a smile from Gerhard's face. That was the satisfaction of teaching someone a lesson. But little did he realize...

...that was when his troubles would begin.

Oh how I wish I could have done more to stop Maximilian from getting in his team. I know it's Gerhard's team, but..."

Alexei: "But?"

Abel: "I can't stop him from fulfilling his dream. Naturally because I'm younger and I contributed little to his team.

The next part of the tale though, is when Gerhard met some interesting individuals."

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

POSTSCRIPT - PRESENT DAY

The pair had arrived in Geschwindigkeit's new headquarters - what was once owned by Dream Alliance until Hiroyuki's death and the dissolution of team.

20191103175904.jpg

As they park at the parking lot behind the building, they noticed a maroon Porsche Taycan Turbo S.

Abel: "A Taycan? Who could that be?"

The answer immediately surfaces, as it turns out to be Uwe Gottlieb coming out of Porsche's new electric sports car.

Alexei: "It's Mr. Gottlieb."

The two men get out of the Audi as well.

Uwe: "Ah, Mr. Kern. It's wonderful to see you again. Julie invited me to see your new headquarters. I am excited."

Alexei showed a different reaction, however. He squarely focuses on Uwe as they make their way inside.

Alexei: "The more we see Uwe Gottlieb, the more questions are rising. Isn't he working with the enemy? And yet why...? Should Julie really trust him?"

End of Page 2

Page 3 - Stars Aligned

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

While inspecting the new large headquarters, Abel and Alexei quickly found themselves an empty room to resume the storytelling. They have found the perfect moment as Julie tours Uwe of the premises.

Abel: "Here. Let's continue here."

Alexei: "Are you sure? They might be looking for us."

Abel: "I have fully known this place. Let Julie be the distraction for today."

Alexei: "If that's what you want, then."

The room used to be Dream Alliance's pantry. Surely it's not significant enough for Uwe nor Julie to peek in.

Now, time for the story...

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Abel: "All right. Where did we left off? Ah yes! After that brief stint, Maximilian and his father decided to officially join Gerhard's team. Though with some reluctance, Maximilian conceded that the 930 was the better car.

And with that taken care of, my brother and I decided to head off the Nurburgring the following weekend. He's now dead set in conquering the Green Hell.

However, fate decided something else...

20191201205415.jpg

When we arrived, we parked beside two supercars. Gerhard fixated his eyes on the two. And just as he is about to unbuckle himself, three individuals were seen coming out of their respective cars.

Coming out of the black Lamborghini Countach is ever famous Ben McCarthy. He is very much well-known in Europe, and as well as having to finally come out from his father's shadow.

And then there were two Asians coming out from the purple DeTomaso Pantera, a man and a woman. The man was the driver, while the woman is wearing a jumpsuit.

Oh, do you know that Gerhard actually holds Sir Ben McCarthy in high regard? Upon seeing him, Gerhard hastily steps out of the vehicle, and proceeds to greet the British racer. I have to get out too. I needed some fresh air.

Gerhard: "Ummmm... Sir? Aren't you, Ben McCarthy?"

Ben: "Yes. And who are you?"

Gerhard: "I'm Gerhard Kern. It's so nice to finally see you in person. It's truly an honor."

Abel: "The two would proceed to shake hands. So far so good. No tension detected."

Alexei: "And who are the other two?"

Ben: "Oh, here's my other two drivers: Michiharu Kanonji and Tomoko Kawaguchi from Japan."

Abel: "The two Japanese drivers simply bowed. They're kind of shy, but clearly the man named Michiharu does have the fire. I can tell it from his eyes. You know, the moment I heard of "Kanonji" upon meeting Benjamin made me remember this meeting briefly."

Gerhard: "Pleasure to meet you too, both of you. So, what brings you here?"

Tomoko: "Oh, we just wanted to test our new race car out. This is a used DeTomaso Pantera we found, and Ben kind of insisted to try it out."

Ben: "We are in need of... reputation. We had to grow this team from our very own, now that I ran out from my father."

Gerhard: "I see."

Ben: "Pardon me, but can we chat later? Michiharu and I are ought to familiarize this dreaded circuit."

Abel: "The two men would proceed, taking the Pantera out on the track. The woman seemed worried."

20191201205427.jpg

Tomoko: "This is our first time in the Nurburgring. I presume both of you have been here?"

Gerhard: "This is my second time here. The first one was rather unpleasant."

Tomoko: "I guess everyone falls prey to the allure of this lush yet dangerous scenery."

20191201205433.jpg

Tomoko: "While I praise the boldness of Ben, he has to admit that he isn't perfect, and there will be a time that he will need help."

Gerhard: "He did mention about "reputation" a while ago. Is there something wrong?"

Tomoko: "He told us that we need more sponsors. But that's all there is to it. I'm thinking he might know something we don't."

Abel: "You see, Ben was struggling. He wouldn't tell it to the world, but that woman casually let it slip. And a DeTomaso Pantera was an affordable entry to the supercar world, so Ferrari and Lamborghini owners back then were easily dismissing it."

20191201205440.jpg

Ben: "Be gentle here."

Michiharu: "This track... it's way scarier than the mountain passes back home!"

20191201205446.jpg

Ben: "You're sliding!"

Michiharu: "Argh! Too fast!"

20191201205452.jpg

Gerhard: "Do you think they will be okay?"

Tomoko: "I hope they make it back here in one piece. I should have protested against going here earlier..."

20191201205458.jpg

Ben: "Oh lord... you did it."

20191201205505.jpg

Michiharu: "Hah... hah... hah..."

Ben: "No use whining about this. We're not here to set a lap time. If we are as sluggish as a tortoise, then so be it. We've got to put every corner into our heads here and master it."

Abel: "Gerhard immediately became fascinated to the new people he met. Then..."

Julie: "Abel? Where are you guys?!"

************************************************************************************************************************************************

POST-SCRIPT - PRESENT DAY

Abel: "Coming!"

Alexei: "Looks like we're going to resume the story some other time."

The two men then meet up with Julie and Uwe. The latter has been impressed with the headquarters so far.

Uwe: "Thank you for inviting me. I think I'll be visiting here more often. You know, as one of your major sponsors."

Julie: "It has always been lovely to have you around. And we are always grateful to your assistance. We are forever in debt."

Uwe: "I think we're not going to have any problem when it comes to racing performance, especially to Kevin. Well then, I must be off. I have important matters to attend. Once again, thank you for inviting me."

After a brief handshake, Uwe leaves the premises.

20191201205514.jpg

Alexei observes the speeding Taycan, still in doubt of Uwe's actions.

Julie: "By the way, where were you two?"

Abel: "Just downstairs, making sure that nothing crumbles. Hehe."

Julie: "Anyhow, the day after tomorrow will be my flight to Japan along with the team. As usual, watch over the Formula division."

Abel: "Understood. Oh, wait a second."

Having known that his son will fly to Japan, he gives Kevin a call.

Abel: "Hello? Kevin?"

Kevin: "Hey Dad, what's up?"

Abel: "Just wondering how you're doing. Have you packed up? Your flight is the day after tomorrow."

Kevin: "Yeah, I'm loaded. But listen, this is actually a perfect timing for you to call. I was about to call you about something."

Abel: "What is it?"

Kevin: "You know, a car just appeared in my garage. I don't know who sent it."

Abel: "What car is it, then?"

And the car turns out to be none other than...

20191201205752.jpg

Kevin: "A red Porsche 930."

Abel's eyes widened. He would definitely assume that it's his brother's car. But he immediately returns his composure. He cannot tell the tale to Kevin just yet...

Abel: "I see. Who could have sent it?"

Kevin: "Well, according to this post-it note, it merely says "Enjoy". And it's sent by someone named "G.K."

Abel: "You do have another day before you leave. Will you drive it?"

Kevin: "Sure. And this 930 looks awesome too. I'll take it to the Nurburgring."

Abel: "I'm coming over tonight. I want to see it."

Kevin: "All right. I'll prepare dinner now. See ya!"

Upon ending the call, Abel sprints outside to the parking lot.

Julie: "Hey! Why leave so sudden?"

Abel: "Kevin called. He wants to see me."

Alexei would follow suit. The two men would enter Abel's Audi TT, with Abel gripping the wheel.

Alexei: "What is it?"

Abel: "It could be Gerhard's 930 sitting in Kevin's garage. And "G.K." sent it!"

Alexei: "G.K. again? What's he up to now?"

End of Page 3

Looks like there's going to be a very close link between the Kern and Kanonji families.

Page 4 - Pointers

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

Time: 10 am, the next day

Abel has arrived at his son's home yesterday, and had the spent the night there.

He was very shocked at the sight of his brother's car finally fixed by the mysterious individual named "G.K.", and has still left dumbfounded as to the man's intentions.

20191203211528.jpg

Kevin is prepped for the test run, and today is the only opportunity...

Kevin: "I've got to familiarize this machine before I fly."

Abel: "Though we still have to be careful. We don't know this "G.K." guy's true intentions. He might have possibly known you, for him to send a gift like this."

Kevin: "My thoughts are the same, pops. But I can't pass up an opportunity to drive this awesome classic. I do have the plan to return it to this mysterious person. It's not mine after all."

Abel firms up his tone, merely to hide the true ownership of the car.

Abel: "Then let me take care of that. It could even be a trap."

Kevin: "Trap or not, let's see what this car is capable of. There has to be a good reason why this was sent to us."

Abel could only give a hesitant nod. He then joins his son in entering the car. Without further objections, the father-son pair head off the Nurburgring.

Hours later, they have arrived. Upon entering the track to begin testing, a familiar but silent presence suddenly arrives....

20191203211546.jpg

However, Kevin is too mesmerized by the surge of power the 930 makes. He had to make numerous steering corrections in order to keep the car in check.

Kevin: "This is unreal! I almost lost it!"

Abel: "Careful. This car is notorious for being peaky."

Kevin: "How much power does this beast make?!"

Abel: "Could be close to five hundred. Who knows?"

20191203211553.jpg

Abel has finally noticed the tailgater.

Abel: "Kevin. Be on your guard. Someone is on our tail."

Kevin looks up the rear view mirror.

Kevin: "A Porsche... Taycan?!"

Uwe could merely show a grin upon chasing the retro sports car. It's showing hints of instability, obviously due to Kevin's first hand experience.

20191203211559.jpg

Uwe: "Hehehehehehe.... take it easy there, little Kevin."

Abel: "This drive makes me remember... how Gerhard willingly taught Michiharu the unwritten rules of this track.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Upon finding out that Michiharu lost control and almost had an accident, Tomoko was anxious all throughout, until the pair returned.

Gerhard stopped leaning on his car, and decided to approach the pair. Why?

Gerhard: "Seems like you had some trouble."

Ben: "Well, it's his first time here, so it's just natural."

Gerhard: "Hey you... Michiharu, right? I can teach you. Hop in to my car. I'll show you the ropes."

Naturally, Michiharu would wonder why he would take an advice from someone he met minutes ago.

Michiharu: "Huh?"

Gerhard: "Just sit down and relax. You will only watch and learn."

And I too, was no different. Why was my brother willing to teach a complete stranger? What did he see?

Michiharu then complies. He decided to have a ride with Gerhard. They just set off, leaving us all dumbfounded.

20191203211608.jpg

Gerhard: "You'd have to take note that this road is bumpy. A good footwork will save you from total death."

20191203211614.jpg

20191203211621.jpg

I'm pretty sure he's scaring Michiharu to death with all that crazy driving. And that's considering it's his second time driving around the Green Hell. What had happened to the testing, then?

20191203211627.jpg

Michiharu: "Woah!"

Gerhard: "That's actually the best line for that. You can't tackle this tricky corner without hopping a bit."

20191203211634.jpg

Gerhard: "Go full throttle here. Don't lift off the pedal. This is a high speed area, actually."

20191203211641.jpg

Gerhard: "Here's the famous Karrusell banking. Don't go overboard with the throttle here. But it should be slightly easier for a mid-engined car like your DeTomaso."

20191203211647.jpg

Gerhard: "Play too safe here, and you'll get left behind. You have the courage, just tucked in beneath that meekness."

20191203211653.jpg

Gerhard: "This ends the tutorial."

Michiharu: "It is... scary, but thanks. I will go back here."

Gerhard: "There is one better way of thanking me."

Michiharu: "What is it?"

Gerhard: "Defeat me in a race. It doesn't have to be now. I can see some flames. You can't hide them in that meek exterior of yours. You've got me... fired up."

Whew... finally, they're back. At least the Porsche's in one piece.

The two men then exit the car, and approach each other. A handshake follows.

Gerhard: "Pleasure meeting you."

Michiharu: "I'm looking forward to our next meeting."

I'm curious as to what transpired between them. From complete strangers to good friends? Huh. As far as I know, Gerhard wasn't the one who would trust someone easily, but at the same time, he sees the good in every person.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

20191203211702.jpg

Kevin: "He's still hot on our heels, right?"

Abel: "Focus on the testing at hand. We don't want this car to end up as a scrap heap."

The peaky 930 is wandering about, but Kevin is exerting all his efforts in keeping the car in line.

20191203211709.jpg

Kevin: "My two 911s handle way better than this! My Sharkwerks-tuned 997 GT3 can run rings around this all day."

Uwe would then step up his pace. He now makes an attack.

Uwe: "Well, let's see how much faster have you gone, Kevin."

20191203211715.jpg

Abel takes a quick look on the overtaking Taycan. He recognizes its owner with the paint scheme.

Abel: "No mistaking it. It's Uwe Gottlieb."

Kevin: "Mr. Gottlieb?!"

Abel: "Uh-huh. He brought that Taycan to our new headquarters, as he was invited by Julie to tour around it."

The instant thrust only an electric car can provide demonstrates its might over the laggy turbocharged supercar of the 1980s.

20191203211722.jpg

Kevin: "That's all seven hundred and sixty horsepower at the disposal of his right foot. And it's instant!"

20191203211728.jpg

Kevin's eagerness gets the better of him this time around. The sudden surge of boost prompted the 930 to spin on the banking.

20191203211734.jpg

However, Uwe sees the skirmish and decides to pull over. He gets out and runs toward the 930. A good sign of concern for other drivers.

20191203211741.jpg

He approaches them, with a concerned look on his face.

20191203211748.jpg

Uwe would then knock on the passenger side window.

Uwe: "Hey! Are you guys okay?"

Both Abel and Kevin get out. The latter would smile upon seeing his team's major benefactor once again.

Kevin: "We're okay, Mr. Gottlieb. No need to worry about us."

Uwe: "I pull over whenever I see other drivers on a mishap. That's how much I care."

Kevin: "Thanks for your concern, sir."

Uwe: "Aren't you supposed to be in Japan now?"

Kevin: "Tomorrow is my flight, along with Julie and the others. I used this day to test this mysterious gift that was sent to me. Anyhow, I think we're bothering you too much. We should be okay from here."

Uwe: "Very well. I must be on my way. Take care, both of you."

Uwe would then leave the pair, showing a smile on his face.

THE NEXT DAY...

The next day, the whole of Geschwindigkeit team is on their way to Japan to begin their conquest in Super GT. Of course, everything is back to working order. Abel has his hands full on the Formula division, leaving the "G.K." mystery aside for now.

Meanwhile, at the old folks' home in Cologne...

...it is a typical afternoon. Seniors of varying ages are seen having recreation, or some of them resting in their respective rooms.

In the midst of the serenity, a red RUF CTR3 arrives and parks in front of the main entrance.

20191203214104.jpg

Coming out of the car is none other than...

...Uwe Gottlieb. What's his purpose of visit? And who?

Uwe speaks to the receptionist. And after a brief exchange, the receptionist leads him to Ernst Kern's room. What business does he have with Kevin's grandfather?

The receptionist knocks on the door. Shortly, Ernst opens the door. His eyes widened at the sight of his would-be guest, and then points his finger at him.

Receptionist: "Mr. Kern, someone wants to see you. His name is Uwe Gottlieb."

Uwe steps inside the room, with Ernst going back in, but still with a surprised expression. Uwe would briefly look around, and then turns his attention back at the receptionist.

Uwe: "Can you please leave us be?"

Receptionist: "Sure, Mr. Gottlieb."

The woman would then close the door. A brief silence follows after door has shut. Ernst drops his cane due to his shock, and suddenly...

...Uwe takes off his eyeglasses with a tear rolling down from his eye. He then rushes to embrace Ernst. The old man would then shed a river of tears as well. An emotional moment spurs as Uwe utters this:

"I MISSED YOU SO MUCH... FATHER. IT'S ME, GERHARD! GERHARD'S BACK!"

Ernst: "GERHARD! Oh Gerhard! This is the happiest day of my life!"

End of Page 4

Page 5 - Red Flag

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

I am... Gerhard Kern.

20191222201741.jpg

Long dead... and forgotten to the world at large. But that doesn't matter to me now. I am on a much larger duty.

20191222201751.jpg

Let me tell the tale in my perspective. After all, it's all about me, and my glorious days.

20191222201758.jpg

This tale of mine will pretty much explain why the racing world got into a mess that's lingering on for decades.

20191222201805.jpg

In order for me to fix this giant mess, I have to assume an entirely different identity... to protect my son, Kevin.

I will not let Maximilian lay a finger on him. He shall soon witness the fury of an angered parent.

With a little run on the Green Hell out of the way, time to meet a certain someone.

An hour away from Nurburg, I stopped by at this quaint little town for that meeting. I parked beside a hulking muscle car: A Ford Mustang Mach I.

20191222185657.jpg

And stepping out of the car is none other than Russell Midfield. Yes, that's right. I know him. He has been my eyes and ears for decades. I'm happy that he's reunited with his son, Andy. But he still is dedicated to his craft.

And another little trivia, Russell did race briefly, doing so while his father is stationed as a border patrol guard on the western side of the Berlin Wall. But I'll delve on that as we move on to my tale.

20191222185809.jpg

20191222185819.jpg

Uwe: "Lange her, Russell."

(It's been a long time, Russell.)

Russell: "Schön dich wieder zu sehen."

(Good to see you again.)

Uwe: "Gut siehst du aus und dein Mustang erst."

(So, you're looking good, and so does that Mustang.)

Russell: "Wie geht dein Stück vorran? Spielst du immer noch die rechte Hand des Teufels?"

(How's your charade going? Still playing the devil's advocate?)

Uwe: "Mir machts Spass. Maxi ahnt noch nicht das er schon längst in der Falle hockt. Er spielt schmutzig, Ich aber auch."

(I'm enjoying it. Maxi is still unaware that's he's already trapped. He played dirty, and so am I.)

Russell:
"Are you already expediting your plans?"

Uwe: "Yes, one by one. Maximilian Marsh... his days playing as the leader of FIA are numbered. And when he'll least expect it..."

Russell: "You're so fixated on to your goal. Care to share your beef with Maxi?"

Uwe: "Certainly. You deserve it."

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

20191222185827.jpg

Uwe: "I should have seen the signs and acted upon it. Why was I so blind? Perhaps it all started on Geschwindigkeit's first outing.

It was one-make race of the brand-new Golf GTI. That car was a hit among the discerning car enthusiast who simply want a fun-to-drive little hatchback.

Maximilian, on the other hand, wasn't taking it."

20191222185833.jpg

Maximilian: "Argh! What is this car? Why do Europeans enjoy these kinds of things? I thought they adore supercars!"

20191222185842.jpg

Uwe: "While we did got off from a poor start. He did show some promise and climbed through the ranks."

Russell: "So he's basically spoiled."

20191222185854.jpg

Uwe: "He has the skill. But patience? Little to none."

20191222185900.jpg

Uwe: "We finished sixth, as far as I can remember. But hey, we did raise some eyebrows.

Maxi, on the other hand, was clearly disappointed. This made my brother, Abel, worry. But Maxi's father did calm him down.

Maximus: "It's okay. It's your first race, and nothing goes perfectly on the first try."

Maximilian: "I didn't sign up for this team to drive this tiny little garbage."

Uwe: "Lo and behold, Abel wasn't taking the insults of a car he had helped worked on."

Abel: "What did you just say?!"

Gerhard: "Everyone, calm down. We all did a great job. Plus, I'm getting more sponsors because of our stint today. Maximilian deserves praise."

Maximus: "He's right. And do not worry, I'll do what I can to help you out even more."

Uwe: "And to completely diffuse the tension, a familiar face suddenly arrives in the pit garage. Ben McCarthy."

Ben: "Good afternoon, gents. Mind if I speak to Gerhard Kern for a moment?"

Gerhard: "Sure. No problem."

Ben: "Follow me. I'd prefer we talk in private."

Uwe: "I ordered the team to pack up and leave, while Ben and I went in an empty pit garage for a little talk. I was wondering back then, what does he want from me? We've had little interaction back then in the Nurburgring."

Ben: "I've asked some people around your neighborhood."

Gerhard: "Why?"

Ben: "They all told me that you have your way with engines."

Gerhard: "That's right. And I'm working on customer cars for extra profit."

Ben: "Mind if you come with me tomorrow? I have set up a garage in Germany as a headquarters for my team's mainland Europe races. I'll show you something."

Gerhard: "Sure. I have nothing to do tomorrow."

Ben: "Wonderful. I expect your presence, then. Have a good day."

Uwe: "At that point, I had no idea he's prepping a surprise. You gotta respect the late Sir Ben McCarthy. He was a powerhouse that spawned more powerhouses like Takuma Kanonji.

The next day, we met up as appointed. I sat in his black Countach and up to this day, those scissor doors continue to mesmerize me.

The drive wasn't far. And when we arrived, I took a long stare at the place. It was big, but not as big as Geschwindigkeit's new Nurburgring HQ.

Straight to the garage, then. He then pulled a white veil covering this...

20191222185908.jpg

Uwe: "A formula one car, albeit covered with rust and dust. It was even a body in white, no sponsor decals on it."

Ben: "I presume Tomoko shared to you our struggles."

Gerhard: "Yes. But I assumed you can take care of those."

Ben: "Admitting a fault is one thing men like us simply cannot do. And unfortunately I share the same weakness."

Gerhard: "What's that Formula 1 car doing here?"

Ben: "The engine supplier went bust. They even took the graceful act of refunding my entire downpayment. And now, it's nothing more than mere toy with no heart."

Gerhard: "That's unfortunate."

Ben: "And I chose you... believing you can turn our luck around. Can you?"

Russell: "So, did you take up on his offer?"

Uwe: "Hmph. Of course there had to be a catch. He should've known... that I challenged one of his drivers - Michiharu Kanonji."

Gerhard: "Heh. Lucky for you, I have a spare V6 engine lying around. I put it on myself using Porsche parts."

Ben: "Splendid response. I take that there are some... reservations?"

Gerhard: "I started my team with a goal of reaching Formula 1. With the money I acquired from my business, and with some begging to my father to lend some money, I was able to source the engine. However, well... seems like I have yet to repay my debt."

Ben: "I'll take on the challenge, whatever it may be. What is it?"

Gerhard: "Make sure Michiharu Kanonji beats me in a race around Nordschleife, one-on-one. Do that, and the engine is yours. I'm not saying we do it immediately, though. He has all the time. And when he's ready. He can come at me."

Uwe: "I can also see the fire in Ben's eyes. He's pushing it. There had to be way to make our dream battle worthwhile. He responded with such confidence."

Ben: "Challenge accepted, chap."

End of Page 5

Page 6 - Trigger

PRELUDE - PRESENT TIME

After a brief reunion with Russell, Gerhard prepares to get in the car. He holds on the door latch while Russell poses a question.

Russell: "And where are you going next?"

Gerhard: "Japan. I've got to be a father this time. And I do have a headquarters there too. Gotta be an effective owner of the company, am I right?"

Russell: "Well then, do what you want. And as far as I know, the Super GT season is about to start, and definitely Maximilian will be there."

Gerhard: "I'm afraid I still have to wear this charade. I want my plans to be executed precisely. Anything or anyone that interferes shall be dealt with."

Two days later...

Gerhard, still under the guise of Uwe Gottlieb (even his German passport holds such identity) has arrived in Tokyo, Japan. After exiting the airport, he then heads over to a certain neighborhood in the city.

It's Aoyama, and in particular, he manages to find the Kanonji Mochi Shop, with a short queue at the take out counter. It's a weekday, so it's expected that there are less customers. Gerhard enters the shop, and he then smiles at the staff greeting at him.

A few seconds later, Tomoko emerges from the kitchen, unwrapping her apron. She smiles at the foreign customer, and with her good command of English required for her profession, she faces Gerhard with confidence.

Tomoko: "Good afternoon sir! Welcome to the Kanonji Mochi Shop! How we may help you?"

Gerhard: "Tomoko Kanonji... ah yes, the owner of this wonderful shop."

Tomoko: "Yes you are correct. And who might you be? A food journalist? Our shop gets plenty of those types lately."

Gerhard: "Don't you mind if...?"

Gerhard aligns his necktie and clears his throat. He's ready to reveal himself to an old friend.

Gerhard: "...we talk in private? Do you have free time, ma'am?"

Tomoko's face show a hint of hesitation, but then she immediately returns her grin.

Tomoko: "Well... sure! Right in front of this shop is my home. Please do wait for me there. I'll sort things here for half an hour. Is that okay?"

Gerhard: "Absolutely. Well then, I shall wait for you there."

Gerhard exits the shop and enters right into Tomoko's home right across the narrow path. One of the staff escorts him to the living area. Despite the vast amount of wealth that both mother and twins earn, the house still exudes a humble air. Nothing extravagant can be seen, except for a large flat screen television in the living room.

As promised, Tomoko meets up with Gerhard after 30 minutes. The assistant leaves them be, as Tomoko asked. With that taken care of, Gerhard removes his fake eyeglasses and straightens his gelled back hair.

Tomoko's eyes widen. She definitely recognizes her long-forgotten, thought-to-be-dead friend from the world of speed.

Tomoko: "You...?! G-Gerhard Kern?!"

Gerhard: "I'm delighted you still recognize me. I fear that..."

Tomoko: "I THOUGHT YOU DIED! Oh thank heavens you're still alive! What happened?"

Gerhard: "A lot has happened for almost three decades. I'm here to watch over my son, Kevin... albeit discreetly."

Tomoko: "Michiharu had mourned when he heard of your demise. Alas... we're the only survivors of our generation. Hiroyuki-san has recently passed on. And now... the Dream Alliance is in complete shambles."

Gerhard: "It's such a shame to hear such unfortunate fate that the team had to undergo. Hiroyuki must be turning in his grave."

Tomoko: "And then, my son... Takuma... he's..."

Gerhard: "You know, Takuma has a splitting image of Michiharu. And speaking of which..."

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Gerhard: "I remembered that race that truly set Michiharu's heart on fire."

20200112194543.jpg

Gerhard: "It was a qualifying session. He was driving Sir Ben's Countach, if you can remember."

20200112194550.jpg

Tomoko: "Ah yes, I can remember that. It was in Italy, and in detail, it was even cloudy. We feared it would rain, knowing how the Lamborghini handles."

20200112194556.jpg

Gerhard: "He performed admirably, I must admit. I was feeling anxious as I was meeting with my new sponsor - Meade Corporation."

20200112194602.jpg

Tomoko: "Meade Corporation?"

Gerhard: "Currently known as MeadeCorp. And back then, I met Julie Meade's father - Anthony - and his six-year old daughter who was very curious about cars.

The little Julie would then peek at the tires and the tools in the pit garage, while her father and I talk sponsor arrangements. And if you may ask if she knows... she still doesn't know, despite meeting her frequently. I have to keep my charade for now."

20200112194610.jpg

Gerhard: "And then you must have remembered a newcomer - named Russell Midfield. He and his father worked on the Mustang Mach 1. Though his father had to perform his duties as a border guard of the western side of the Berlin Wall. He raced merely out of curiosity."

20200112194617.jpg

Gerhard: "And then it's my turn to run. I can remember clearly, as briefly observed your husband. He, too, aimed squarely at me. He was... triggered by my challenge."

20200112194624.jpg

20200112194630.jpg

Gerhard: "I did some last minute changes to my 930, to make it behave nicely as possible."

20200112194637.jpg

20200112194643.jpg

Gerhard: "I was in driving nirvana. Everything stayed as it should be. I had to provide a worthy challenge to Michiharu."

20200112194650.jpg

Gerhard: "And indeed it was a challenge. I set a lap time two seconds faster than his. That was just a start."

*******************************************************************************************************************************

POST-SCRIPT - PRESENT TIME

Suddenly, Gerhard's phone rings. He briefly pulls it out of his pocket. It was an urgent one, and he had no choice but to cut off the nostalgia He would then keep the phone ringing, while he had to set off and say farewell.

Gerhard: "Ah, pardon me. I wish to make this talk longer, but this is urgent. It was such a delight seeing you again."

Tomoko: "I see. But let us talk some more when you are free, okay?"

Gerhard: "I'll hold on to that. For now, I must go. Goodbye."

Gerhard briefly bows and then stands up. After collecting his shoes at the Genkan (the entrance part of a Japanese home where one must leave their shoes), he then waves his hand. As he heads out, he finally picks up the phone.

It turns out, that it's the technical division of Gottlieb Electric - who had once again gained possession of Gerhard's 930 under orders.

Gerhard: "Ah yes, it's you. I assumed you've gotten hold of the parts I've ordered?"

G.E. Technician: "Yes sir. They arrived just now, at eight in the morning."

Gerhard: "Kevin had struggled, understandably. But it's time for me to nurture him. Have all the parts installed."

20200112195109.jpg

G.E. Technician: "And what shall we do after we've finished?"

Gerhard shows a brief grin.

Gerhard: "Have it sent over to Palm City in Florida. I have asked someone to stash that car once it arrives. It shall be ready for the Speedhunters Showdown."

Gerhard then smiles. He has another set of plans laid out exclusively for Kevin, and they are now set into motion...

End of Page 6

Page 7 -Trigger II

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

After that brief urgent call, Gerhard heads over to a specific location. A cemetery not too far away from the metropolis. Why is he going there?

He even has a bouquet of flowers. As he walks slowly towards the numerous tall gravestones, he then stops at a certain grave.

The grave of Michiharu Kanonji, that is.

He then lays the flowers, to pay respect to the man who gave him the urge to be even faster... who'd he never thought will be his rival.

Gerhard: "Michiharu... I visited your wife today. She's as lovely as ever. And of course I told her some tales. However, to get to the point, I'm telling you why I'm here.

I need...

...fire.

20200126064833.jpg

I still remember that race. The race that gave you the fire. I want the same thing now.

20200126064843.jpg

I was trifling with Sir Ben, though. However, I'm pretty sure you're fired up after learning I have beaten your time record.

20200126064849.jpg

I must admit, Sir Ben is one of a kind. I was struggling on that race too.

Ben: "Aren't we cheeky? No one has kept up with me for this long."

20200126064855.jpg

Gerhard: "Heh. Seems like you want that engine badly, huh? Well, beat me now and you'll have that gem!"

20200126064902.jpg

I was ready on giving that engine to him, but of course I've got to stick to my guts and reserve that for our bout.

20200126064908.jpg

Sorry, Sir Ben...

Gerhard: "Sorry, Sir Ben, but can you wait for a little longer for that engine?"

20200126064914.jpg

I then displayed a bit of my true skill, which Sir Ben deserved to see.

20200126064920.jpg

I'm pretty sure you were more eager and wished you were behind the helm of that Countach, Michiharu. I displayed the mighty grunt of a turbocharged engine down the main straight.

Ben: "What?!"

20200126064926.jpg

He must have struggled to get the position back. I respect him so much up until this very day, but I can't yield.

20200126064932.jpg

Ben: "Tch! I can't keep this one in check! He, on the other hand..."

20200126064938.jpg

And then.... I did set you on fire. I won that race.

After a little celebration, you and Sir Ben approached us, and happily enough there wasn't any tension at all. Both of you were graceful in your defeat.

However, the moment you spoke up...

Michiharu: "Congratulations. Well, ummmm..."

Gerhard: "Hmmm?"

Michiharu: "Ben told me about the arrangement regarding the engine. And I have decided."

Gerhard: "What is it?"

Michiharu: "I WILL race you. You may see me more often at the Nurburgring. When I'm ready, let's fight."

I then showed a grin. It was the response I was truly waiting for. It had to come from you.

Gerhard: "Well said. Call me when you're ready."

However, as you have walked away with my brave confirmation, Sir Ben had wished to speak to me in private. What's the matter?

Ben: "Now that's out of our way, I want to talk to you about something I observed. Follow me. I prefer we talk in person."

Being a reputable man he was, I simply obliged. The festive mood I had suddenly turned into tension. I saw his rather serious face with a scowl as we stopped and faced each other in an empty pit garage.

Ben: "You may not listen to me since we're technically rival teams, but here's a little piece of advice that I think you should let me voice out."

Gerhard: "What is it? Is it about Michiharu?"

Ben: "That's not the topic. I'm referring to your partner, Maximilian Marsh."

Gerhard: "What about him?"

Ben: "After taking his turn, I saw him with his father, talking to other men in suits. And they head over to somewhere."

At first, none of what he said aroused suspicion, but the next statement completely shaken me.

Ben: "You know, when I get to know someone, I check everything. Even dirt. Take it from me, why don't you do the same? I've been "warned" by other racing teams when they heard that man is here in Europe. Apparently, that man and his father came from an American racing team embroiled in a scandal."

And this is when the seeds of doubt started to grow. Had I only noticed something was wrong, I could have had a different life. I could have lived happily with Alicia and Kevin. It was indeed a butterfly effect.

Ben: "That racing team is currently under scrutiny, accused of race fixing. Now, do yourself a favor and save your career. It's not yet too late."

My eyes widened, even after Ben walked away with a pat on my shoulder. I wanted to trust Maximilian as a teammate. This became the start of the rough sail of my career.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

POST-SCRIPT: PRESENT DAY

Time: 12 pm, the next day

Gerhard has gotten wind of Geschwindigkeit's practice run last night, to be held at the Fuji Speedway.

20200112194508.jpg

Upon arriving, he made sure that he keeps his distance, merely observing Kevin and the rest of his team work on their weapon on the GT500 class of the Super GT.

20200112194530.jpg

Gerhard spectates his son's practice at the bleachers viewing the main straight.

20200112194537.jpg

Gerhard then clenches his fists resting on his thighs. He has a plea...

Gerhard: "Michiharu. My son needs guidance. And only one person can do it.

YOUR SON, TAKUMA.

Please snap him back and give the flame he needs."

End of Page 7

Page 8 - Gerhard's Flame

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

After a brief, albeit discreet, visiting his son at Fuji, Gerhard heads back to Tokyo.

Somewhere within the Shinjuku district, is a moderately tall building housing the Japanese headquarters of Gottlieb Electric. It actually supplies a considerable amount of Tokyo's huge electronic billboards, hence gaining another set of revenue for him, considering his lion share of the market in Germany. One would not think that such a modest building would have a firm having stricken gold.

Upon entering, he straightens up his blazer, and his secretary had prepared his office. Neat and devoid of any insignificant clutter, he sits down on his chair and rotates it to face the large glass pane viewing the metropolis. Gerhard clears his throat, and then gives one particular order.

Gerhard: "Once they're all here, please notify me."

Secretary: "Yes sir."

The secretary then takes his leave. Upon closing the door, Gerhard takes a deep breath, closes his eyes... and then clenches his fists resting on the armrest.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

What the late Sir Ben said, at first it didn't make much sense. But I did take it in mind. What I noticed at first was that Maximilian is always having to meet people before he races. He claimed that it was all for sponsorship deals.

And then...

20200202200335.jpg

I noticed a pattern...

20200202200342.jpg

Our opponents tend to slow down and give up their positions when I come close, and the same happens when Maximilian drives. Normally, one would defend its position as much as they can.

20200202200353.jpg

On that last race in Monza, the same pattern occurred. And then immediately the words struck back:

Ben: "That racing team is currently under scrutiny, accused of race fixing. Now, do yourself a favor and save your career. It's not yet too late."

The last straw came, when some of the opposing team's race car driver would show nothing but scowls on their faces, directed at ME. I knew it. Something was wrong.

I then called for a meeting, including the Marshes. I had to squeeze the truth out of them. Abel got worried, naturally, but he has noticed it as well. I've been getting threats too, and even one article questioning our team's integrity.

Abel: "You really sure about this? It's hard to bark at the wrong tree."

Gerhard: "I hope to God that I'm wrong."

Abel: "They were able to score a lot sponsorship deals. Removing them will cause..."

Gerhard: "Our parents taught us that integrity is something we can't sell, even if we've reached far."

Then the father-and-son duo arrived. I cleared my throat. I want this meeting to be brief, so I went straight to the point.

Maximilian: "Why have you called an emergency meeting?"

Gerhard: "I called you to answer some questions I'm about to throw to the both of you."

Maximus: "Well then, let us start."

Gerhard: "Is this true? Is it all true? You've been "meeting" with other race teams? And for what? To buy their dreams?"

At that point, it was clear to them that I'm letting the cat out of the bag. The pair could only look at each other.

Gerhard: "I talked to one of the racers, and he said that he wishes us "luck". He told me that HE WAS PAID OFF by his boss to lose. No one in the right mind would intentionally give up his race position. As the days passed, more came to me, throwing shades and literally even stoned me. I am not going to throw away the team's integrity, and leave all my hard work completely worthless."

Maximilian: "What can you do with money, then? The world is in your oyster now, Gerhard. Think of it, you wouldn't have to do all of these "hard work" because it's a concept... or rather an "excuse" conjured by the masses. I've had enough of these people telling ME that I won't get far with wealth, so I merely shoved those on to their mouths to shut them up. It's all what it is now, Gerhard. Money talks, even in sports. You can't succeed with a mere "hard work" anymore. Plus, aren't your parents affluent already? Don't tell me you're denying them."

I slammed my hand on the table. That condescending statement of his completely enraged me.

Gerhard: "JUST WHAT DO YOU THINK OF PEOPLE, HUH?! You think you could just easily manipulate them with money? Those racers... they had a dream! And you're just taking them all away just for your benefit?! Are you out of your mind?!"

Maximilian: "Dreams? Huh... Dreams are nothing more than mere fantasies. If you had everything, you could have all the means to be successful."

Gerhard: "At least my parents became successful with their undying efforts, with blood, sweat, and tears spilled. You have no spine... no dignity. Consider yourself... worthless. A true worthless piece of trash. What about your father? Is he just as garbage? And then how about the "trash" you left behind? Remember the team you left in the ditch previously?"

Maximilian: "What... how dare you--"

Maximus: "ENOUGH, MAXIMILIAN! We can just leave. We can find something better to invest. I'm sorry, Mr. Kern. It seemed to us that we don't meet your standards. Well, it was nice, albeit short."

Gerhard: "Begone from my sight. I abhor people who have sold their souls and have no concept of integrity."

Maximilian: "You will regret this, Gerhard. You had looked down on me from the very beginning. I will flay that scowl on your face soon."

Maximus: "I told you that's enough, Maximilian. Let us go."

The pair left without a word. And so do my sponsorships. Well, I want to earn something cleanly anyway. I don't want dirty money. I considered this as a clean slate.

Days have passed, I just sat and stared on my 930 in the garage. I didn't even bother finishing the remaining races.

20200202200406.jpg

All those wins... me and my car won them with dirty money. I can't imagine those people who were bribed. I can't even face them.

I didn't even had the strength to apologize to them all. I was too... downtrodden.

Then suddenly my father came up and pat on my shoulder.

Ernst: "Gerhard... are you okay?"

Gerhard: "I don't know if I'll race anymore. I can't believe this... All I did... it was all out of nothing? How was I so blind?"

Ernst: "What's important is that you know to yourself that you earned all of these by your hard work. Such as your car, your shop. No one can take them away, Gerhard. It's never too late. You inspired some people too, you know?"

Gerhard: "Pretty much I've left them disappointed."

Ernst: "How about that Japanese man? Didn't he challenge you? I've heard that he's frequenting at the Nurburgring."

20200202200416.jpg

20200202200423.jpg

Ernst: "Don't tell me you're backing off. That's not the Gerhard I know. Will you still show up?"

That... struck a chord. It suddenly reignited the flame. If Michiharu was practicing at the Green Hell despite the scandal, that goes to show that he believed in me, and that he's awaiting.

I told to myself that I will NOT disappoint him. I shouldn't!

I then stood up from my couch, with a renewed resolve. I would always thank my father for that small talk.

20200202200445.jpg

Gerhard: "Dad... can you hand me over the tools? I have to start working."

My father smiled, as he obliged to hand over the tools. I inspired Michiharu, and he never gave up on me. For the next couple of days, I devoted my energy to service the cars at the shop and then fixing up the 930 at night. It had to be ready for our duel.

20200202200456.jpg

Michiharu never gave up on me! Now it's time to return the favor!

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

After a brief moment of reminiscing, Gerhard hears the phone ringing. He rotates the chair back facing the desk and immediately answers the call.

Secretary: "Mr. Gottlieb, your guests are here."

Gerhard: "Send them in, please."

He awaits for his guests. He crossed his legs as the door opened, with the secretary escorting three men. Next, the assistant leaves the three, and Gerhard smiles upon seeing them.

Gerhard: "Shall we get down to business now?"

One of the guests speak up. It turns out that they are racers after all, wearing jackets with automotive brands as sponsors.

Racer 1: "What's the agenda?"

20200202200506.jpg

Gerhard: "The team Rote Strahl shall start in full swing in Super GT. Do not underestimate Geschwindigkeit, in particular, Kevin Kern."

Racer 1: "Is that said out of bias, Mr. Gottlieb? I mean... Mr. Kern? He is your son."

Gerhard: "You very well know I have another major goal aside from toppling Maximilian Marsh. That is...

"...to get Kevin into shape."

End of Page 8

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- The names of the members of Rote Strahl are withheld until the next arc.

- Gerhard is quite the father, isn't he? What will he be planning for Kevin?

Page 9 - Rekord

I was ready.... to take on the Green Hell...

...and Michiharu.

I challenged him, and so I must be a hurdle for him to overcome.

And I'm facing a new challenge as well. I've decided to start on a clean new slate. The sponsors we once had clearly left along with the Marshes. But I don't care. I want to gain something by working hard, and by playing fair.

20200202200445.jpg

My father was concerned about the loss of my sponsorship deals, but I was quick to reassure him, as I work further on my car.

Ernst: "Gerhard, is it okay for you to start again like this?"

Gerhard: "Dad, I had to. I want to achieve something with a clear conscience. Plus, with them out of the team, I can breathe easy that I won a race fair and square. It's the most important thing you taught me, am I right?"

My father smiled, and I think that was the answer he's expecting. He drilled the notion of hard work on to us, despite being born with a silver spoon.

He then pat his hand on my shoulder. A sign that he was satisfied.

Next, Abel entered the garage, providing the additional tools I need. He laid them on the floor, sorting them out as well.

Abel: "Here they are. And I also contacted a moving company that can load a car. They said they're ready on your call."

Gerhard: "Good. I'm not allowing myself to lose to Michiharu, but I've always been ready for other possibilities."

Abel: "So is it okay if you lose as well?"

I took a deep sigh. Yeah, what if that happened? But hey, maybe Ben McCarthy would help us out...

Gerhard: "I don't mind. A deal is a deal. I have to hold my end of the bargain."

20200202200456.jpg

And so a week later, I once again set out on the Nordschleife. Abel was riding shotgun, holding a stopwatch. He was clearly nervous...

20200209181810.jpg

Abel: "I hope you don't mind me disturbing you with one question, but how much horsepower is this one making right at the moment?"

I merely showed a grin. The additional modifications put a smile... a confident smile on my face.

Gerhard: "Four hundred and seventy."

Abel: "FOUR HUNDRED AND SEVENTY?! THIS IS A SUICIDE!"

20200209181816.jpg

A suicide? He's got a point. A power of that caliber would be considered insane in the 1980s.

20200209181823.jpg

But the upgraded chassis assures me that everything will be fine...

20200209181830.jpg

I nudged it through the Aremberg with gusto, and my right foot is dictating the turbo spool.

20200209181836.jpg

The acceleration rivals that of racing cars. It mirrors to that of a Porsche 934. The trees are mere blurs, and it's more difficult to find my bearings.

20200209181842.jpg

My point was quickly proven, as I braked a bit too late for the upcoming corner. It resulted the car to suffer a pendulum effect as I took my right foot off the pedal. Abel was literally clinging on for dear life, and his other hand was firmly grasping the stopwatch.

20200209181848.jpg

The sun beamed straight on our faces as I caress through the Karrusell. The Green Hell has taken multiple lives, and that day was definitely not our last.

20200209181855.jpg

We are close. At this point, I was thinking that this was nothing more than mere practice for the big duel. Making it out alive became my priority. Four hundred seventy horses on a short wheelbase with an unorthodox layout is deadly combination. I was burning out.

But...

...I had to inspire Michiharu. I AM HIS HURDLE!

20200209181901.jpg

Abel: "This speed... we're getting over 250 kilometers per hour in a blink of an eye!"

I actually hit close to 300 kilometers per hour before I hit the brakes on the Galgenkopf. Again, the excess speed wiggled the tail out. I've got to be on my toes.

20200209181907.jpg

Abel: "Gott in himmel!"

Gerhard: "I'm fighting it!"

20200209181914.jpg

Whew... there. Sorted out the oversteer with multiple steering corrections. Even that made me fear for my life.

20200209181920.jpg

We're back in one piece. Abel composed himself and pressed the digital stopwatch once again to stop recording.

Abel: "Seven minutes and twenty-five seconds. We are not doing this again, okay?"

Up until today, I still can't believe I set that kind of lap time on the Green Hell, considering how twitchy the car was. What's more, it's comparable to that of a modern supercar.

That's something for Michiharu to work on, am I right? I hope the hurdle wasn't too high for him...

End of Page 9

Page 10 - Deadly Duel (Part I)

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

After briefly, but also privately, meeting with his drivers in his office, Gerhard heads back to Tomoko's home in Aoyama. He knew that Takanori isn't going to be home at dusk, so he once again speaks to Tomoko in the home.

Tomoko, as happy as ever, once again anticipates listening to Gerhard's tale especially about his bout with her husband.

Tomoko: "I'm glad you came over again. I wish to hear your stories again."

She giggles, and Gerhard does so as well in response.

Gerhard: "I am more than happy to share them. However..."

Gerhard breathes out a sigh.

Gerhard: "I wish I could do the same to Takuma as well. Your son needs... inspiration. Perhaps this tale of my bout with your husband shall be appropriate?"

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Tomoko: "I was there too, you know? I can vividly remember, even."

Gerhard: "Very well. I'm glad to hear it.

I was, downtrodden. Knowing my team's situation, I could say that I wasn't going to give any quarter."

Tomoko: "Really? So the rumors I've heard were true, huh?"

Gerhard: "I kept my situation from you, but it was obvious from Sir Ben's smirk that he knew."

20200223185753.jpg

Gerhard: "As I parked beside Michiharu's Pantera, I felt tension already. The shiny purple paint hid the fact that it was a used car. But don't get me wrong, I am one of the few people who knew what the DeTomaso Pantera can do in its day. A lot were laughing it off merely because it was powered by an American V8 engine.

My brother wouldn't stop staring at it."

Abel: "Never really got to see this car up close. So, it has a Ford V8?"

Michiharu: "We've modified it to reach over four hundred horsepower."

Gerhard: "I responded with confidence..."

Gerhard: "Mine has four hundred seventy."

Gerhard: "Even the likes of Sir Ben wasn't able to swallow that. He merely raised his eyebrow. And so he decided that talk is cheap."

Ben: "All right chaps, let's get this over with. I hate all show but no go. Are two laps enough for you?"

Michiharu: "Yeah."

Gerhard: "I agree."

Tomoko: "Sir Ben, charming as ever. I wonder how he'll react if he's still alive, seeing the current state of the racing world?"

Gerhard: "I'm sure he will be "pleased". Anyhow, Michiharu and I braced ourselves for a deadly bout at the Green Hell. We put on our racing gloves. I straightened my leather jacket. My brother was a lot more worried."

Abel: "Gerhard, make it out alive, okay? I'm sure... we can start over our team. Just... don't die."

Gerhard: "I have a lot of reasons why I should go home alive. And I know, how to get out of this mess. So, don't worry, little brother."

20200223185809.jpg

Gerhard: "And off we go. I didn't mind the chirping sound of the wastegate. I was teasing Michiharu on the start."

(Background Music: Turbo Lover - Judas Priest)

20200223185815.jpg

Michiharu: "He's fast! He's goading me on."

20200223185821.jpg

Gerhard: "The horsepower difference was clear on the first section. I was sure that Michiharu was struggling. Struggles build character, am I right?"

20200223185828.jpg

Gerhard: "But that already built up his determination. He used my slipstream to keep up."

20200223185834.jpg

Gerhard: "However, the track reminded me to stay on my toes. I can't let all the excitement take over my head. I've learned it once more as we entered the Schwedenkreuz leading to the Aremberg at excess speed."

20200223185841.jpg

Gerhard: "I was fighting the wheel, making sure the equally dangerous car would cooperate in some way."

20200223185847.jpg

Gerhard: "I was overtaken. But clearly I wasn't done yet. We've barely just started."

20200223185853.jpg

Gerhard: "I took back the lead, as the Pantera understeered. The Fuchsrohre was dangerous, and the Adenauer Forst was not to be overlooked either."

20200223185900.jpg

Gerhard: "He attempted to overtake me again, but it was futile. However, dismissing such attempts would be a misjudgement. At the back of my head, I knew that he was goading me on."

20200223185907.jpg

20200223185913.jpg

Gerhard: "We're almost the half of the first lap, and yet there's a lot of tension and excitement already. The danger still persists, however..."

End of Page 10

Page 11: Deadly Duel (Part II)

20200315184557.jpg

Gerhard: "The battle got suddenly intense even before we reached half way the course.

I was itching to catch him. The Pantera's V8 was no joke either."

20200315184607.jpg

Tomoko: "And a more balanced mid-engined chassis as well."

20200315184613.jpg

Gerhard: "Naturally, I'm still in fighting form, never giving up. And so I used the 930's power advantage to keep up with him."

20200315184620.jpg

20200315184627.jpg

Gerhard: "I took back the lead. But there was no moment of bliss."

20200315184633.jpg

Gerhard: "It was short-lived, as if the circuit reminded me that I shouldn't play along and get cocky. I was losing control over the Porsche all over again."

20200315184639.jpg

Gerhard: "Stay put! I'm telling you!"

Gerhard: "I was fighting not just the wheel, but also for my life. It wasn't really a good idea to bump up the power close to five hundred horsepower."

20200315184645.jpg

Michiharu: "Woah! Is he okay?"

20200315184653.jpg

Gerhard: "I managed to stay on the track, but playing safe wasn't an option either. If I did that, the race would have been ended. I had to fight."

20200315184659.jpg

Michiharu: "Whew! Glad to see you're in one piece. The real battle is yet to begin."

20200315184706.jpg

Gerhard: "You know what's strange? I felt that Michiharu was smiling, goading me to fight. But it wasn't too provocative either."

20200315184712.jpg

Gerhard: "Because of that, when the second lap started..."

20200315184718.jpg

Gerhard: "....I gave him a reward. That is, to see my true skill. It would take him a lot of effort if he was to witness that.

I smiled. I was so thankful. He reinvigorated me. He made me forget the hardship I've been through. All it took was just one lap."

End of Page 11

Page 12 - Deadly Duel (Part III)

(Background Music)
Gerhard: "I started to give my all, since it was the final lap."

20200323161106.jpg

Tomoko: "I was worried when I saw you two crossing the line starting the second lap. And yet both of you still..."

Gerhard: "The 930's pendulum effect started to impede my focus once more."

20200323161117.jpg

Gerhard: "Not again!"

Michiharu: "Another opening!"

20200323161123.jpg

Gerhard: "I was my fighting my way, no longer minding the 930's quirks."

20200323161129.jpg

Gerhard: "Michiharu was also feeling the fatigue. 1 lap of the Nurburgring driving a car with no driving aids drains a lot of energy."

20200323161135.jpg

Michiharu: "Damn! I won't lose! I. WON'T. LOSE!"

20200323161141.jpg

Gerhard: "I wasn't even able to breathe easily when I got a moment of breathing room."

20200323161148.jpg

Gerhard: "You know what they say: "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Both of us were basically dragging ourselves to the finish line."

20200323161154.jpg

20200323161200.jpg

Gerhard: "But then I realized who's the real winner here. It's Michiharu. Despite our exhaustion, his flame still burns."

20200323161206.jpg

Michiharu: "I'll fight until the very end, Gerhard Kern! How about you?"

20200323161212.jpg

Gerhard: "Of course, I still had to make it difficult for him. His flame ignited mine."

Gerhard: "I will not let you get away. As long as I'm behind the wheel, I will push!"

20200323161219.jpg

20200323161225.jpg

Michiharu: "Just how many times do we have to switch places!?"

20200323161231.jpg

Gerhard: "We're getting close to the goal. We've expended everything we got in our arsenal. Not even the long straight can give us room to breathe."

20200323161237.jpg

20200323161243.jpg

Michiharu: "Keep on pushing, Pantera! You can do this!"

20200323161250.jpg

Gerhard: "Some people don't realize though, even a gentle corner can be a deciding factor at the Nurburging. It's difficult to go side by side at high speed. And the one who prevailed was..."

20200323161256.jpg

Gerhard: "...none other than Michiharu. From that moment on, my respect for him became high.

And then... as I'm approaching near the goal, the brakes locked."

20200323161302.jpg

Gerhard: "Gott in himmel!"

Gerhard: "I briefly closed my eyes, thinking that this will be my end, as I hear the endless screeching of tires. I thought about the loved ones I'll be leaving behind, including my girlfriend."

20200323161308.jpg

Gerhard: "However, as if rewarding me for my struggles, fate decided I still have a lot to do. The 930 stopped safely."

20200323161314.jpg

Tomoko: "No wonder I only saw Michiharu's Pantera crossing the line."

Gerhard: "It didn't matter. In my mind, Michiharu was already the winner. I was actually smiling when I was just sitting in the car.

And then, when we convened..."

20200323161321.jpg

Michiharu: "Are you okay, Gerhard?"

Gerhard: "Of course I am. Actually, I'm happy to have finally raced you."

Ben: "All right chaps, let us now pack up. And Gerhard?"

Gerhard: "I'm holding my end of the deal."

Gerhard: "At that point, I saw my brother's worrying look on his face."

Abel: "Gerhard, we..."

Ben: "You know, I am grateful towards people who help me. And I'll make sure to reciprocate it. I've heard about your recent struggles, so...

...why don't you join my team? Your skill will be a very valuable asset to us."

Gerhard: "When I heard that, I thought it was too good to be true. I was on the impression that Sir Ben did not take me seriously."

Gerhard: "Really?"

Ben: "Yes, judging from Michiharu's comments, it would be idiotic of me to disregard you. So, are you in?"

Gerhard: "I smiled, and reached out my hand to him."

Gerhard: "Yes. I'm honored to be a part of your team. I won't let you down."

Gerhard: "From that moment on, my life took a different turn. It was a great opportunity to start on a clean slate."

Tomoko: "Oh what a day it was. I can also remember Michiharu very much jolly and eager to work with you."

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

POST SCRIPT - PRESENT DAY

Gerhard: "It was a wonderful tale. And as much as I want to tell more, I have to leave."

Tomoko: "I'm really happy to see you, alive and well. What are your plans next?"

Gerhard: "Still covering in a facade. And please, do not tell Takanori about this visit, okay?"

Tomoko: "All right. I hope you take care."

Gerhard leaves the home, with Tomoko waving her hand as she looks on.

The next day, Gerhard returns to Europe, albeit heading to London to meet a certain someone...

It was a busy day as usual. People go about their usual chores. While doing so, they spot a purple Ford GT parking in front of a cafe.

20200323161839.jpg

Getting out of the car is none other than Takuma Kanonji, holding a brown envelope presumably containing important documents. He had recently taken delivery of the American supercar.

He gets inside, and manages to find a table and then lay the envelope on it while ordering for a cup of coffee.

A few moments passed, and Gerhard gets in. He immediately recognizes Takuma, and then the two men shake hands.

Takuma: "We've finally met, Mr. Uwe Gottlieb."

Gerhard: "I'm glad to have finally met you as well, Mr. Takuma Kanonji. Let us sit, and get down to business."

What would be Gerhard's plan this time around? Why is he meeting up with Takuma?

End of Page 12

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- With the month-long, region-wide quarantine set in place starting last week, I will post more often.

Looks like Gerhard's about to give Takuma the wake up call he's been planning on.

Page 13 - Reignite

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

Takuma and Gerhard sat down, with the former pushing the brown envelope towards the latter across the table. Gerhard looks around as he takes out the contents. They contain papers for him to sign, as it turns out that Gerhard bought a piece of land in the outskirts of London used to be a property of the late Sir Ben. Along with those are the land titles as well.

Takuma hands over a black ballpoint pen, which Gerhard immediately grabs and proceeds to read the papers first.

The waitress then arrives with Takuma's coffee, and Gerhard orders one too.

Gerhard: "I want an espresso please."

After that, Gerhard returns to reading the documents. He smiles and nods as he turns the pages.

Gerhard: "All is well. Groundbreaking shall start soon."

Takuma: "Glad to hear it, Mr. Gottlieb. I'm looking forward to a Gottlieb Electric branch here in the U.K. Though I hope you don't mind the impact brought by the Brexit."

Gerhard: "I don't mind the extra expense, if there will be."

For Gerhard, everything is in order, and proceeds to sign everything. He then puts them all back in the envelope and pushes it back to Takuma's side.

Gerhard: "I would be in the U.K. more often to oversee the construction."

Takuma: "By the way, on to a different topic. I've heard your name before."

Gerhard: "Hm?"

Takuma: "I've been keeping tabs on Kevin's activities. From what I've gathered, you are a major sponsor of his team."

Takuma: "Seems strange, albeit usual as well, that a company from a completely different career field would invest in a racing team. Are you into cars too?"

Gerhard: "Oh yes I am. I'll bring you to my garage next time."

Takuma giggles, and then slurps a portion of his coffee.

Takuma: "Looking forward to that."

All of a sudden, Gerhard switches to a more serious tone.

Gerhard: "And... I'm also here to talk about "other" business."

Takuma: "Other... business?"

Gerhard: "Yes, and I'd prefer talking about it in private... once I'm done with my coffee. Well then, let's talk about real estate here in the U.K. first, shall we?"

In an effort to lighten up the mood, Takuma tells his days of learning real estate from his adoptive father, with follow up questions from Gerhard, naturally.

When Gerhard's espresso arrives, Gerhard takes time to savor it, while staying on the topic.

When the espresso is finished, Gerhard wipes his mouth. This prompts Takuma to ask for the bill.

Takuma: "All right, let's talk about that "other" business you have. Well, we'll do it in my car."

Gerhard: "Oh perfect. I just went here by a taxi."

After payment, the two men immediately stand up and head towards Takuma's Ford GT. They leave the premises.

Takuma: "Mind if I take you somewhere a bit far? You can tell your business while we're on our way."

Gerhard: "Where will we go first, if you don't mind me asking?"

Takuma: "Where I... cool my head off and forget the mess I've been to."

20200324135543.jpg

Gerhard: "A wise choice. Well then, let me start by saying..."

"...I know your parents very well. Particularly your father."

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Takuma: "You know my parents?"

Gerhard: "That is right. I worked with them... as a fellow race car driver."

20200324134932.jpg

Gerhard: "Your father and I had a duel... and I lost. We had a deal with your adoptive father. If I lose, I give the Formula 1 engine I've worked on, which I did. Sir Ben was desperate to find an engine for his Formula 1 ambitions."

Takuma: "Look, as much as I enjoy your company, I never heard your name from Sir Ben's tales."

Gerhard: "Hahahahaha... haven't you noticed why my corporation name is G.K. Incorporated? The initials stand for...

...Gerhard Kern. I am Gerhard Kern. The Red Stream of Europe, dead and forgotten today."

Takuma: "You're... Gerhard Kern?! No wonder you told the tale with so much detail. An impostor wouldn't be able to do so."

Gerhard: "Now, where did I leave off? Ah... Sir Ben and I worked together to complete the Formula 1 car. He was ecstatic the moment we finally finished it."

20200324134943.jpg

Gerhard: "The Porsche-built 1.5 liter twin turbo V6 was a stalwart. Even McLaren took notice and bought engines from there."

20200324134950.jpg

Gerhard: "Next, we head off to the Nurburgring to have it tested. And you know who jumped in first? Your mother."

Takuma: "My mother?"

20200324134957.jpg

Gerhard: "Your mother is as dynamic as she was in her heyday. Even Sir Ben was impressed on how she handled the machine. Your mother has the penchant for driving challenging cars."

20200324135003.jpg

Gerhard: "I can still remember how that engine roared and pushed. Well, it was still peaky. You know, the 1980s was a crazy decade for car enthusiasts."

20200324135009.jpg

Gerhard: "We took turns in testing the car. Your father was next, and he was the complete opposite."

20200324135015.jpg

Gerhard: "He was flailing through the corners, an expected result knowing that it was his first time piloting such an incredible machine."

20200324135021.jpg

Gerhard: "But... he kept on insisting that he'll master it. Even Sir Ben was reprimanding him regarding our limited tire supply."

20200324135027.jpg

Gerhard: "That dedication inspired me. I was downtrodden, and I thought persistence was a negative trait. It turns out, it wasn't all so bad after all.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

After a few hours of travel, Takuma stops by at a cliff overlooking the ocean. He had been visiting this spot to momentarily forget the stress he faces everyday, brought about by being a CEO of his adoptive father's real estate business.

20200324135552.jpg

The two men then stand outside, not minding the gust of wind as they look at the waves washing ashore.

Takuma: "We're here. And... you are Gerhard Kern. Do you have any relationship with Kevin?"

Gerhard: "I am... his biological father."

Takuma's eyes widened, and briefly gasps upon hearing the revelation.

Takuma: "You are his father?! Then what about Abel Kern?"

Gerhard: "For now, he is Kevin's father. Kevin does not know yet, and I intend to keep it that way for a while. Even Abel doesn't know I'm still alive."

Takuma: "Why?! Why are you keeping them in the dark?"

Gerhard: "Because... the racing world is in a turmoil. The FIA is more corrupt than ever. Even Nobuhiko is part of it. This corruption started way back then, and I could have done something to stop it. I am operating in a different identity to protect and save my son from all this mess. After knowing what he did to get justice for my wife's murder, I don't want him to find out my fate, or else..."

Takuma: "He'll get lost in a forest of revenge."

Gerhard: "I'm here... to plead."

Takuma looks at the ocean right in front. The gust of wind has gotten stronger.

Takuma: "What are you pleading for?"

Gerhard: "Please... help Kevin. He's alone in this fight. You once fought for what is right. Don't stop doing it! The battle is not yet over, but we can win, with your help. I'm sure, there's still a glimmer, or tiny tinge of flame inside you."

Takuma briefly closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. Then he faces Gerhard once more.

Takuma: "Now that we're here, can you tell me a bit more about my father? And the circumstances that led to this mess."

Gerhard: "Very well then."

Gerhard smiles, knowing that hope for the racing world is on its way....

End of Page 13

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Gerhard will soon have a new role. He shall take over Hiroyuki's role.

Or put it, a more badass version. :sly:

Page 14 - New Horizons

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

With the wind still making its presence known, Gerhard continues to tell the tale, as requested by Takuma. Could this make the downtrodden Japanese racer go back up on to his feet?

Gerhard smiles, knowing that hope is on its way. He has to do more to convince him, however...

Gerhard: "Very well, Takuma. I hope this will inspire you."

Takuma: "Tell me more, because I've been out of the loop, and never realized this has been lingering for far too long."

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Gerhard: "Where will I start? Ah! When the F1 car was finished, it was time for Sir Ben to have it registered.

Since we technically are a small team, we had to qualify in the preliminaries to be able to battle with the big boys such as Ferrari.

Our first outing was at Brands Hatch. As we settled in, lo and behold, I saw Maximilian and his father in the Ferrari garage. He has another teammate, named Giorgio Guidicelli.

I approached them out of curiosity, despite my seething anger towards the Marshes.

Though of course they spotted me, and greeted me casually as if nothing transpired between us. I had to be prim and proper."

Maximilian: "Oh, look who we have here. Gerhard Kern! How are you doing now?"

Gerhard: "Doing well. Though I'm pretty sure you're better."

Maximilian: "My dad struck a deal with Ferrari. Come with me, I'll show you what I'm driving soon."

20200326170434.jpg

Takuma: "Maximilian Marsh? Isn't he the head of the FIA now?"

Gerhard: "Correct. Though I wouldn't say he didn't get there with clean hands.

Anyhow, he was showing off his Ferrari Formula 1 car. As expected from a large company, there are mechanics ensuring the car is in tip-top condition. Funny thing was, he wasn't even going to race at all. They have secured their spot, and Maximilian told that to me like it was no object."

Maximilian: "I'm just going to watch for a while. We're here to bring joy to the Tifosi."

Gerhard: "Well, better watch carefully. Because maybe, just maybe, we're going to clash."

Gerhard: "Upon hearing that, Maximilian suddenly removed that smirk off his face. He won't know what's coming..."

Maximilian: "I'm looking forward to that."

Gerhard: "The race then begins, Michiharu bravely took on the challenge. He insisted that he's going to be all right. Taming a 1000 horsepower Formula 1 car with a peaky engine is no easy feat even for professionals.

We were supposed to make it into the top 10 if we are to make it. I was initially worried."

20200326170449.jpg

Gerhard: "But all those fears were immediately set aside. I saw how your father mowed down the competition like a tornado storming down fields of wheat. Even the Eurocentric crowd can't fathom an Asian driver would have such skill. That was the norm in the 1980s, elite racers were expected from European powerhouses such as France, Germany, or Italy."

20200326170455.jpg

Gerhard: "Having known where your father came from, he surely shattered the stereotype. Sir Ben made an impressive judgement having him and your mother in the team."

20200326170502.jpg

Takuma: "I'm surprised. Even Sir Ben didn't tell me about his Formula One adventures. He merely told me that it was a "mere small stint" in the category."

20200326170509.jpg

Gerhard: "Oh it was more than a mere stint, Takuma. I can potentially guess why he left out that part."

20200326170515.jpg

Takuma: "Which was?"

Gerhard: "I'm surprised you don't know. It could be your resentment towards him that Sir Ben had to skip it out. Doesn't that make sense?"

Takuma: "Yeah. It does. I wish I didn't let my anger cloud my youth, and known more about his career."

20200326170521.jpg

Gerhard: "He impressed everyone on that single race. He had put Japan on the world map of Formula One. He didn't let any stereotype ruin his quest."

20200326170527.jpg

Gerhard: "And guess what? Not only we made it in the leagues, but also we took the gold. He had proven to everyone that he didn't need any of those bimbo credentials or large sums of cash to prove himself. All he had to do is deliver."

Takuma: "That must have been a sensational victory, from what it deemed as an ordinary single race."

Gerhard: "And then we're in the big leagues. Time for me kick Maximilian's arse all over again."

End of Page 14

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

I need another volunteer who can drive this:

20200326170434.jpg

Livery is already shared (restricted to Friends Only) and I'll open a lobby from 6 to 8 am (GMT + 8) or you can PM me for an alternative schedule.

Gotta make the most out of this quarantine. Hehe.

Thanks for reading!

Page 15 - One Step Ahead

Takuma: "What happened when you got in the big leagues of F1?"

Gerhard: "Oh, it was intimidating at first, seeing major works teams with limitless resources tweaking their cars round the clock made it seem we all lost hope.

But that didn't stop me. Nor your father. I wasn't gonna let myself be rubbed by Maximilian's snobbishness. I wasn't raised by my parents that way."

20200329075730.jpg

20200329075740.jpg

Gerhard: "Our first race was at Monza. People were expecting Ferrari to win, being the household name of Formula 1 and all."

20200329075747.jpg

Gerhard: "Your father volunteered to take the run first. He was confident he would shorten the gap.

And hours later, he delivered. He was finally able to catch the Ferrari before the driver change. Then it was my turn. Maximilian took the helm on his team next."

Giorgio: "That team is no joke, Maximilian. I'm counting on you."

Maximilian: "Don't worry, I can handle Gerhard. We have better mechanics, and our car is better built."

Gerhard: "And off we go."

20200329075805.jpg

20200329075753.jpg

Maximilian: "See Gerhard? Had you just trusted us, you could have everything."

20200329075814.jpg

Gerhard: "I intended to show Maximilian, what real racing is, and that money is no object."

Takuma: "So I still have this gut feeling that anyone associated with Ferrari is nothing more than tycoons who only have money in their heads."

20200329075821.jpg

Gerhard: "Let's not generalize everyone, as Ferrari still has a bunch of real race car drivers. Maximilian, sadly, wasn't in that bunch."

20200329075827.jpg

Maximilian: "What have you got? Pfft. You're just as affluent, and yet you don't mind doing all the lifting?"

20200329075833.jpg

Gerhard: "I then overtook him on the main straight, but as far as I can remember, my car's fifth gear was set too tall, and so it bogged down for a moment."

20200329075839.jpg

Gerhard: "However, I have already found out what was his weakness. ME.

My presence alone intimidated him. That was brought by when I threw him out of my team."

20200329075845.jpg

Gerhard: "He braked too late for the first corner, chewing him out off course."

20200329075852.jpg

Maximilian: "Argh!"

Gerhard: "What's wrong? Scared?"

20200329075858.jpg

Gerhard: "I wasn't sorry for ruining his ego in front of Ferrari's executives. Coming from an affluent family myself, I showed to them that money does not determine one's future."

20200329075904.jpg

Maximilian: "Every time I have my glory, he ruins it! He's always one step ahead of me. Why?!"

20200329075910.jpg

Takuma: "So, you won?"

Gerhard: "Ah yes. And a slap on the face on Ferrari too. Maximilian spun out."

20200329075916.jpg

Takuma: "I wish I was there to gloat on them. Hehe. But hey, that was a nice run."

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Suddenly, Takuma's phone rings in the middle of the conversation, prompting Gerhard to silence himself.

Takuma: "Excuse me. Hello? Oh... really? Well, better start cooking. I'm about to head home."

Takuma ends the call and puts the phone in his pocket.

Takuma: "I'm sorry, but I promised my wife to be home early to taste her special dinner. You know, I coach her on cooking..."

Gerhard: "That's all right. You're lucky you have a wife and kids you go home to everyday. Better keep them."

Takuma: "I am lucky, thank you. But, I am eager to hear more about your tale. Can you come by the office after lunch tomorrow? It'll still be private, so don't worry."

Gerhard: "All right. I'll continue by tomorrow."

An hour later, they returned to London, with Takuma dropping off Gerhard in his hotel.

Upon returning to his room, Gerhard gets a phone call, from someone named Paulo Lopez, a racer from his racing team. Paulo is currently in Florida, sent by Gerhard for a "special task".

Gerhard: "Yes? Why did you call?"

Paulo: "Just called in to report, sir. The car is here. And man, it looks badass."

Gerhard 930.jpg

Gerhard: "Have you driven it?"

Paulo: "Not yet. But I'm itching to drive this."

Gerhard: "It's exclusively for Kevin. I have plans laid out for him, remember?"

Paulo: "Si, senior."

Gerhard: "Bueno, you'd better start on the mission. I'm expecting a report."

Paulo: "Orale! Soon, the streets of Palm City will be burned by this Red Stream."

End of Page 15

Page 16 - Followed

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

The next day, Gerhard heads over to Takuma's real estate firm located in the heart of London. It's a building of moderate proportions, housing only five floors and a little over a hundred employees.

He arrives at 1 pm, as agreed upon yesterday. At the lounge area, the secretary gives him a welcome and escorts him to Takuma's office. In the elevator, Gerhard straightens his maroon blazer matching the color of his slacks.

Upon entering the room, Takuma approaches Gerhard immediately, shaking hands together. The former then asks his secretary to leave them alone.

Takuma: "I'm glad you came over. You actually made me excited.

Gerhard: "So, how's your wife's cooking?"

Takuma: "Hehe. Pretty delicious. Though of course she wasn't able to escape my criticism."

Gerhard: "Ahahahahaha... that's all well and good. I sometimes wonder how my wife's cooking would turn out."

Takuma: "Well, it's fun to have a little bickering with a wife. A little challenge would always be welcome."

Gerhard: "Speaking of challenge... this is where I'll resume my tale.

20200403170941.jpg

Gerhard: "We continued our Formula 1 conquest, gathering victories and earning the respect of the audience expecting the big brands to win."

20200403170948.jpg

Takuma: "It must have been really tough to break the mold back then, huh? Well, Sir Ben was affluent, but he admitted to me back then that ever since leaving his father, he didn't have the financial capability on par with major teams. A small team was all he could handle."

Gerhard: "I cannot deny that, for sure. And yet, we pooled in extra money from our winnings, which made your adoptive father venture on to another racing discipline."

20200403170957.jpg

Gerhard: "The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Since we have captured the attention of major sponsors, one of them invited us to compete in that race. He didn't turn down the opportunity, believing that it would make our presence known."

Takuma: "What was the car?"

Gerhard: "A Porsche 962. It was an evolution of the 956. The sponsor, apparently, has close ties to Porsche, aaaand made a gamble to put us in the race. It was a tall order.

And not just that... we also had a new member."

Ben: "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new member in the ranks. Meet Peter Geronimo. He's from the Philippines."

Gerhard: "Peter Geronimo was dynamic, but never forgets his humility. He greeted us with confidence, but I didn't see any hint of excessive pride."

Peter: "It's a pleasure to be with you all. I never thought I'd see the day racing with the big leagues."

Ben: "Listen here, Peter is actually active in Europe more so than in Asia. He knows the ins and outs of European racing."

Peter: "Well, I wouldn't say that..."

Ben: "Here you go again with your humility. Too much of it can also hurt you. It's not wrong to assert yourself."

Tomoko: "So, are you going to race with us in Le Mans too?"

Peter: "Ah yes. I want to turn my luck around after my failure to finish there last year."

Suddenly, before Gerhard can mutter another word, his phone rings.

Gerhard: "Excuse me."

Upon taking it out from his pocket, it was an SMS message from his assistant, named Albrecht.

"Sir, there's a man who followed me all the way to the hotel. He wears a corporate attire. He followed me while I was doing your errands earlier. He's at the floor lounge, presumably after you. Is he a friend?"

Taking it as an alarm, Gerhard responds with:

"Stay calm. Remain in your room and I'll return. I will deal with that man myself. Don't even call security, it will cause commotion."

Gerhard: "I'm sorry, but I must go. It's an emergency. Let's just meet some other time."

Gerhard immediately stands up and hurriedly exits the premises. Half an hour later, Gerhard arrives in the hotel. He then sees the man matching the description sitting on the sofa in the floor lounge. Gerhard assumes a gentle exterior, despite the potential danger.

Gerhard: "It must be you."

The man suddenly stands up, but his attempt of escape is foiled, as Gerhard grabs him by the arm. He forcibly turns the pursuer, and punches the face with brute force that the stranger lost consciousness.

Gerhard drags the man until he enters the room. He puts the unconscious man leaning on the wall, and since the room is also a suite, the worried assistant joins him.

Albrecht: "Sir!"

Gerhard punches the pursuer once more. The man wakes up. But before he could even move, Gerhard rummages through the blazer and sees the ID. He is apparently from the FIA.

Gerhard: "FIA? Who sent you?"

Man: "Uh..."

Gerhard then grabs the man by the collar, with an intimidating look on his eyes, to forcibly extract an answer.

Gerhard: "WHO SENT YOU?!"

Man: "Mister... Marsh."

Gerhard lets go of the man, and then stands up. He would then straighten up his blazer, and goes back to looking straight at his pursuer.

Gerhard: "Thank you for your cooperation. I'll spare your life.... only if you do what I exactly say. Now, I'll take you to the hospital and take care of your face."

Gerhard pulls the man's arm with force so that he could stand up.

Gerhard: "Show any attempt of escape, and I will seal your fate. I can do that. I have a black belt in Judo."

End of Page 16

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- I need volunteers who can drive a Jaguar XJR-9 and a Sauber Mercedes C9. You can design your own liveries, provided that they have a retro theme to it. Please share the liveries too.

I will open the lobby room in these times:

7 or 8 am (GMT+8); or at 8 pm (GMT + 8)

Thanks for reading!

Page 17 - A Murky Marsh

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

More than eager to acquire Takuma's assistance, Gerhard sets up another appointment, to meet him up on the next day. The stalker that Gerhard caught and interrogated is now on his side, doing his bidding, working against his former employer on a discreet scale.

With that out of the way, Gerhard walks through the office corridor, while looking casual, he actually commands an aura of authority and respect, could be brought on by the way he carries himself - his back straight and his head facing straight forward coupled with a serious scowl.

He arrives in Takuma's room at the appointed time. He sees the young man getting water from the dispenser. He fills two glasses. Takuma then places the other on the opposite side of the table, for his guest.

Gerhard sits down, staring down at the glass of water with ice. When a tiny cube slid off to the water, it's as if it's a sign to start...

Gerhard: "I'm truly sorry that I had to cut short my tale. I felt that was disrespectful."

Takuma: "It was an emergency, sir. No need to apologize."

Gerhard: "I must now go directly to the point when everything came crashing down. What happened yesterday prompted me. It all started in Le Mans...

********************************************************************************************************************************

20200403170957.jpg

Gerhard: "It took us months of preparation and testing. Along with that, Peter Geronimo was somehow struggling to get the grips on the 962, since his previous Le Mans stint was on a lower category car. But his experience was still a valuable asset to us.

And then came the big day."

20200411085459.jpg

20200411085442.jpg

Gerhard: "Peter showed incredible talent, which surprised even Sir Ben.

20200411085452.jpg

Gerhard: "And to the surprise of absolutely no one, Maximilian also competed. Of course he had to earn my respect. Isn't that lovely that one is actually desperate of your respect?

And then on the night of the race...

It was Tomoko's run. Ever the gentleman, your father decided to stay in the pit garage.

And then when she came in to pit and change drivers, she then noticed someone... a complete stranger looking at the tires.

She then shouts... so loud that I can actually hear it from the caravan I'm resting in."

Tomoko: "HEY!!!"

Gerhard: "I heard her shout. Then we came rushing by, it turns out, the man is attempting to puncture the tires. Sir Ben managed to pin down the man and punch the back of his head.

I then came up to interrogate the man."

Gerhard: "Who sent you here?"

Man: "Mr... Marsh... you've got to spare me..."

Sir Ben: "We will spare you, indeed, chap. So that you'll be thinking your life choices in jail."

Gerhard: "I was totally enraged. Is this how low they can get? Is that how they think what money can do? I was even thinking of rushing to the Maximilian's caravan. But I still had some composure not to do so. I had to use my energy properly by tomorrow. So I reserved that for the next day.

Then that day came. Sir Ben and I decided to confront the Marshes. I even brought my helmet. Hehe.

Maximilian noticed us coming in to their caravan. He had the guts to smile which made tick.

Maximilian: "Hey, good mo---"

Gerhard: "I slammed the helmet on to his face just to get him out of the way. He was knocked down, and he was holding on to his jaw."

Maximilian: "Hey! What gives?"

Gerhard: "I'll deal with you later. Don't smirk like you're clean."

Gerhard: "And lo and behold, his father came out and saw the commotion. He merely smiled as if they had nothing to do with it. And I poured out everything..."

Gerhard: "Listen to me, you decrepit old man. If you think you can manipulate everything in your fingertips with your wealth, then I am sorry to tell that you are sorely mistaken."

Maximus: "What is this? What is this accusation?"

Gerhard: "On cue, the security team arrived, bringing them the man they hired to sabotage us. And the old man was visibly surprised."

Sir Ben: "We saw this promising chap puncturing our tires. And clearly you failed."

Gerhard: "Before you make any denials, let me tell you one thing... you may have succeeded in wealth, but YOU FAILED MISERABLY IN LIFE! I HOPE YOUR "MONEY" WILL FLY YOU TO THE MOON! You can never, ever buy your way out of life. That's not how it works. And how ironic... that a man like you... had to sink this low to get what he wants."

Gerhard: "And suddenly, the old man was clenching his chest. He was slowly crouching down. Maximilian had to call an ambulance.

I turned back to face him. He was seething in anger."

Gerhard: "You brought this on to yourselves. I am not sorry for this."

Maximilian: "YOU COULD HAVE PICKED A BETTER TIME!"

Gerhard: "When? When you win seeing us suffer? Is that how victory works for you? Is your conscience being drowned by crisp bills and shiny coins? You have yet to win in life, Maxi."

20200411085505.jpg

Gerhard: "We were on our final minutes of the race. After the driver change, I took the helm for another stint. For a moment, I stared at Maximilian, getting in the Mercedes Sauber C9.

20200411085515.jpg

Gerhard: "I can tell... he's bent on doing anything he can to win. I'm not allowing that, of course."

20200411085521.jpg

Maximilian: "What is your problem?! Can't you see I'm on the peak already?! I'm sick of tired of hearing the back-breaking labor, the refrain of every loser who just tasted success. I have everything to take someone like you out of the picture. I don't even have to lift my finger to do that."

20200411085527.jpg

Maximilian: "Because of what you did, you are going to PAY. My father gave everything he can, and promised me that everything is laid out for me. YOU TOOK THAT AWAY."

20200411085534.jpg

Gerhard: "I can really see that he was desperate to prove that he was the best."

20200411085540.jpg

20200411085547.jpg

Gerhard: "ARGH! Understeer!"

20200411085553.jpg

Maximilian: "I was bullied in school... by the likes of common folk. My ever-loving father had to transfer me to another. The same thing happened again and again. But he promised me that I will never come out as the loser. Losing was never part of our vocabulary, and those words were imparted to me.

Why, Gerhard? How are "suffering" and "hard work" make you a better person?!"

20200411085559.jpg

Gerhard: "Time and time again, I outsmarted his maneuvers."

20200411085605.jpg

20200411085611.jpg

Gerhard: "The Group C era cars were capable of reaching 400 kilometers per hour on the Mulsanne Straight. But in the name of reliability, we had to sacrifice that. Speeds of 360 kilometers per hour were deemed acceptable compromises.

20200411085618.jpg

Gerhard: "Both of us were dead set on acquiring the checkered flag."

20200411085624.jpg

Maximilian: "I will always be on the top! Remember that!"

20200411085630.jpg

Gerhard: "Nearing the end, our cars were clearly fatigued. Our wills weren't, however..."

20200411085636.jpg

20200411085642.jpg

20200411085648.jpg

Gerhard: "But of course experience pays off. It is the only thing that separates me and Maximilian."

20200411085654.jpg

Maximilian: "You're not getting away with this! I'm not going to let you take the podium after what you did to my father!"

20200411085700.jpg

Gerhard: "However, fortune favors the bold. One of the Mercedes' tires burst, apparently. How ironic. Or should I say, that's karma in action."

20200411085707.jpg

20200411085713.jpg

Gerhard: "Once again, I prevailed. And also, that was my first and only Le Mans victory. Why?

Well... the next part I'm going to tell you is...

...when I lost everything. The events that shaped me into who I am right now.

End of Page 17

Damn the Marsh family really are just arrogant, entitled, spiteful morons.

Page 18 - A New Movement

PRELUDE - PRESENT DAY

Before Gerhard can tell the tale that burdens his heart, he helps himself with the glass of water served to him. He drains all of the cold water, and places the glass down. This prompts Takuma to stand up and take the glass to refill it. He then returns it on to Gerhard's side, and as well go back to his seat.

Gerhard breathes deeply and releases a heavy sigh. It is the tale that he won't have the emotional strength to share. Russell Midfield is the only person who knows what Gerhard has gone through.

For him to share it to Takuma... it just goes to show how much trust and hope he can see from the Japanese racer.

Gerhard: "Well then... this is something I don't even want to share at all. But I had to do it... to convince you."

Takuma: "As much as I respect other people's personal viewpoints and privacy, I'm afraid I had to ask, as I am completely baffled as to what's happening in the racing world right now. On the shell, it looks completely normal, but on the core, it is rotten. It is something...

...I have to fix.

Please, don't spare anything. I want to know."

Gerhard: "Two years had gone by since that Le Mans victory. We didn't join the succeeding Le Mans races because of the rule changes that ultimately led to Sir Ben deciding to scrap the Le Mans program altogether. We've gone through separate ways, but tried our very best to get in touch.

During that time gap, I've learned that Maximilian's father had died of heart problems, something that had exasperated ever since he got that heart attack. At the back of my mind, I knew that Maximilian will deliver his revenge.

But that fear was allayed, when Alicia and I got married. A year passed, and she's about to give birth. We were so overjoyed that we will finally be able to start a family.

And then one night, she demanded to be rushed to the hospital.

As quick as I could, we scurried our way to the hospital. I didn't even brush my teeth. After confinement and of course the agony of labor, we welcomed our little bundle of joy.

It's a boy.

Alicia: "It's a boy. You won the bet."

Gerhard: "All right then, we'll name him Kevin."

Gerhard: "I was one of the happiest men in the world that night. I can vividly remember - Kevin was actually tiny when he was an infant. And naturally, the boy cried a lot, but when I carried and cradled him on my arms, I was tearful with joy. Kevin then calmed himself down, and closed his eyes.

However... at this point, this was when all the bliss ended.

Exactly two days later, I was in a meeting with another potential sponsor to kick off my racing career once more. The meeting went well, and my family's future is assured. I would be starting once again as a race car driver.

I was excited to tell the news to my wife. I then head home, inserting a cassette tape of my favorite tune as I drive along."

20200412073939.jpg

Gerhard: "Then suddenly... I felt something wasn't right. The brakes. The car didn't slow down on the corners. I tried my best to slow down much earlier and rely on engine braking.

But because of the pendulum effect, the car completely lost control."

20200412073950.jpg

Gerhard: "What happened next? I merely closed my eyes. But through the sounds of repeated crashing, and my body violently swinging... I can tell the car was rolling over the hill. Everything came back rushing to me...

...including the image of me cradling Kevin on my arms. I braced myself for the end. I silently prayed, that no harm would come to my family.

Everything went... just black.

Until I heard footsteps....

...it was a man, then a phone ringing."

"Mr. Marsh? Oh yes. The job's done. I followed him all throughout. I cut the brake lines. The car rolled over down the hill, and it's beyond repair. He's done for."

Gerhard: "Upon hearing that, my mind was filled with anger. I knew it all along, that Maximilian will strike. He doesn't mind playing dirty if he is to get what he wants.

I then wondered, how my wife will react to that news..."

20200412073956.jpg

Gerhard: "I was unconscious all throughout, until the next morning... someone came. Uttering the words... "Sir? Sir?"

20200412074003.jpg

Gerhard: "I used what I had left of my strength to open my eyes, and it's a man pulling me out of the wreckage. I was able to move my feet, and he helped me get in the car. I was bloody all over."

Russell: "I'll take you to the hospital immediately! Hang in there! I recognize you by the car you're driving!"

Gerhard: "That complete stranger saved me. And you know who that was? Andy's father - named Russell."

Takuma: "Andy's father, huh? Wow, it must have been really a small world."

Gerhard: "I was recuperating in the hospital. I'm pretty sure my wife was looking for me. But knowing the circumstances..."

Russell: "You woke up now."

Gerhard: "Thank you. You look familiar."

Russell: "Russell Midfield. I used to be stationed on the Western side of the Berlin Wall until it crumbled. I race on my pastime."

Gerhard: "My family.... they could be in danger. Someone... wants me dead."

Russell: "Then let him think you are. I'm a military man, and mind games are also our forte. It's the only way to protect them."

(Background Music)

Gerhard: "I was upset upon hearing that. That was so easy for him to say... but I welcomed the idea."

Gerhard: "THAT'S EASY FOR YOU TO SAY! I HAVE A NEWBORN CHILD ALSO WAITING FOR ME!"

Russell: "Then go ahead. See them at your peril. You're effectively putting a target on their backs. This man who "killed" you, he played dirty. Then it's our turn to play even dirtier. Heed my advice, and your family is safe."

Gerhard: "Then what should I do?"

Russell: "Assume a new identity. Plan against his back the way he did on yours. Though sadly of course, you can no longer see your wife and child, in the name of safety."

Gerhard: "It was the idea that I had to welcome. If that will protect them, then so be it. I closed my eyes..."

Gerhard: "I'm sorry... we'll have to meet a little longer... Alicia... and Kevin."

Russell: "I can understand that this is hard for you. But this is the only way to ensure a better future for your family."

Gerhard: "Upon getting out of the hospital, I expedited my plans. I assumed a new identity, take half of the money I had on my bank account and leave the other for Alicia and Kevin. Russell, meanwhile, had to hijack a corpse from the morgue and fix it up similarly to my appearance to be put on what's supposed to be my coffin.

We even agreed to attend my "funeral". Though of course, I am in Russell's car, wearing a hat, a trenchcoat and a pair of shades. I saw my entire family, mourning... and the one devastated the most was none other than Alicia. I can even hear her wailing, as the coffin was slowly descending six feet under.

I too, was crying. I had to fight my tears but failed."

PRESENT DAY

Gerhard: "And then, I started a company, merely to hide my plans for Maximilian. I even became Kevin's college professor. It was the only time I saw the grown boy up close. He can be lively and miscreant to the point I had to scold him, but he had the highest grades in his class.

And of course, my wife got murdered. I was seething in anger too, much as Kevin was seeking for justice. I knew what he did, and I was actually proud of that. But I want to avoid him doing another reckless act, and worst of all...

...I don't want him to find out what happened to ME!"

Gerhard slammed the glass on the table, with tears coming out from his eyes. It is such a rare moment for a strong man like Gerhard to break his walls, a man who had suffered, and sacrificed his happiness for his family's sake.

Gerhard: "You know, none of these would have happened...

16314747283_6ef8e04161_c.jpg

16990204835_4ba95cb539_c.jpg

17399785661_5e39aba9d5_c.jpg

20380520139_5a77eb3129_c.jpg

gangup_8.jpg

Gerhard: "...if that mishap never happened. I could have noticed Maximilian's treachery way sooner and acted upon it. I was blind. The NH Project, the failed VGT program, and now FIA's plan to monopolize racing...

...they are the products of a man with a misguided view on success.

Please.... Takuma-san. Help me. I cannot fix this all alone."

Takuma then stands up from his chair, and head over across the desk, in front of Gerhard. He then crouches down, kneels and bows down all the way to the carpet. While this is a sign of apology, this is also Takuma's way of showing newfound respect for Gerhard, now equal to that of Hiroyuki's, after hearing all of the struggles the man went through.

Takuma: "After hearing this, I should be the one apologizing. I gave up on this fight, leaving the mess to completely worsen. I then realized, there are still people who trust me, and need my help. And your story... reminded me of that fight."

Gerhard: "Takuma-san, please stand up. There is no need for such gesture."

Takuma complies, then Gerhard places both hands on the shoulders.

Gerhard: "We will do this together, all right? But of course, we have to do it discreetly."

Takuma now has renewed vigor. The fight has to be finished.

Takuma: "Understood, you can count on me."

Gerhard then reaches out his right arm, and Takuma reaches his. A handshake follows. A symbol of hope coming its way.

TWO MONTHS LATER...

Time: 4 pm

Gerhard helps himself with biscuits he personally had a hand in baking along with his trusted kitchen staff. While munching on a piece, his butler Albrecht arrives in the dining room where he enjoys his snack.

Albrecht: "Sir, you have a visitor. His name is Kevin Kern. Shall I let him in?"

Gerhard places a biscuit he's about to eat back on the plate. He then stands up and straightens his blazer.

Gerhard: "Yes. Please let him in."

20200412074009.jpg

In the foyer, Gerhard welcomes Kevin with a handshake and with a hug as well. The two men smiled at each other, with Kevin still unaware of the real identity of the person right in front of him.

Gerhard: "It's been quite a while, Mr. Kern. Are you here to tell a story of your career so far?"

Kevin: "Mr. Uwe Gottlieb, it was nice seeing you again."

However... a sudden gust of wind occurs, and with that, Kevin suddenly shifted his mood to the opposite - a cold, callous face. This surprised Gerhard.

Gerhard: "Oh why? Did something displease you, Mr. Kern?"

The sun suddenly hid behind the clouds as if something ominous is on its way.

Kevin: "A lot has happened, Mr. Gottlieb. I came here, for answers."

Gerhard widened his eyes upon hearing it.

Gerhard: "Answers? What are you talking about?"

Kevin: "You're the person I had to consult, because I know I can trust you. Someone told me... I have to seek you for answers. I'm planning something big, and he told me you can help me."

Gerhard: "What are you planning, then?"

Gerhard notices Kevin clenching his two fists, and then the young man answered with:

Kevin: "I WILL CRUSH THE FIA. MAXIMILIAN MARSH KILLED MY FATHER. MY FATHER THAT I NEVER MET.

HE.

MUST.

PAY."

Kevin's face clearly sends strong emotions of sadness, and hate brought about his plans of retribution.

Gerhard's worst fear has finally made itself known.

How did Kevin eventually find out the truth Gerhard did his best on keeping? The next arc - GT500 Legend IV - shall provide the answers.

THE END

Arc 8: GT500 Legend IV

20190722193511.jpg

Kevin Kern and the Geschwindigkeit continue their conquest, and returns to Japan to participate in the prestigious Super GT series.

However, little does Kevin know that something is catching up to him...

Note: The events coincide with the present-day scenarios of The Boom II

Page 1: Splitting Image

Time: 12 pm

Kevin, Julie, Nigel, Kiehl, and Janine had finally arrived in Tokyo. Though Kevin is still coming to grips on how to drive that red Porsche 930, it was immediately clouded by his excitement of returning to the land of anime.

They first settle down in the hotel. And of course, they are greeted by Mila, who rushes to hug Kevin in the lobby.

Kevin: "MJ!"

Mila: "Kevin! I'm so glad to see you! I've worked tirelessly to woo sponsors for us."

Julie: "But better be more careful now. You're pregnant. Thank you for doing that for us, but don't worry, I'll be doing that from now on. You shouldn't be pulling a lot of weight on your condition."

Mila: "Heehee... better than doing nothing."

Julie: "Well, don't forget that we will inspect our cars this afternoon, and by the way tomorrow night is the opening party of the Super GT. Better rest up now, guys."

Around the afternoon, after a few hours of rest, the team heads to a location that Takanori rented to stash their race cars.

20200413171924.jpg

Upon arriving, Takanori unveils the two race machines they'll be using in the championship - the Porsche 911 RSR for GT300 and the Honda NSX GT for the GT500 class.

Kiehl immediately notices one tiny addition on the NSX's livery.

20200413171934.jpg

Kiehl: "Hold on... what's that tiny little cartoon character?"

Kevin: "That's me! And you call that a "Chibi"! Chibis are cute versions of anime characters."

Kiehl places his palm on his face. He finds Kevin's obsession with anime a bit too ghastly, to say the least.

Kiehl: "Oh god, no."

Kevin hangs his head down in disappointment.

Kevin: "Awwww... come on!"

Julie: "Anyhow, Takanori-san, thank you for renting the place for us. I gotta admit, finding a place here is difficult."

Takanori: "Real estate can be terrible here in Japan, especially in Tokyo. But anyway, I'm also excited for our testing tomorrow!"

Julie: "Alright then, seems that we're having a good start. Let's head back to the hotel and get the much needed rest for tomorrow."

Time: 1 pm, the next day

20200112194508.jpg

Testing is underway. Geschwindigkeit spared no time in getting the GT500 car prepared for the championship.

20200413171944.jpg

Kevin and Takanori are the drivers competing for the GT500 class, while Janine, Kiehl, and Nigel will run for the GT300.

Kevin immediately feels the fury of a racing car with no compromises. All GT500 cars are now silhouettes, meaning that none of the major components from their road-going counterparts are carried over. The exterior design and lights are merely present to represent the homologated model.

20200112194537.jpg

Kevin: "This car.... the downforce levels are off the charts! It may look like the NSX we see on the roads, but...."

20200413171950.jpg

20200413171956.jpg

Kevin: "...these cars are now completely different monsters! I bet not a single component from the road NSX is in this chassis."

20200112194530.jpg

Unknown to him, Gerhard is observing his practice from the bleachers. He is worried about his son, and as well as the looming truth getting closer to him. He makes a silent plea...

Gerhard: ""Michiharu. My son needs guidance. And only one person can do it. YOUR SON, TAKUMA. Please snap him back and give the flame he needs."

Time: 8 pm

The opening party of Super GT takes place in a convention center located in Roppongi Hills. Everyone invited is in their formal attire. Team Geschwindigkeit and Dream Alliance Japan are present as well. Though they haven't made any interactions as of yet...

Maximilian Marsh is present along with other few FIA members. He is seen mingling with established guests. Within the circle, he introduces his daughter, Czarina, wearing a gold dress.

Czarina: "It's a wonderful night. Nice to meet you all."

Czarina is also a race car driver, but not currently a participant in the Super GT. She is taking a break and merely wants to watch.

Team Geschwindigkeit is at the corner of the hall, nearby the exit. The other tables are filled with other teams who were able to make it in the party.

Kevin, being a man who simply can't sit still, stands up and roams around hall watching the groups of people having chats. He is wearing a dark red blazer and slacks, with a light blue collared shirt and a red tie. His hair is gelled back.

He then walks up nearby Maximilian. But he doesn't want to join the conversation to keep himself casual. However, the FIA head immediately notices him, and upon staring at Kevin, his eyes widened, and he almost lost grip of his wine glass. It's as if a jolt hit Maximilian. Kevin then turns around, and the two make eye contact.

Maximilian: "Is that you, Gerhard? No... it must be my imagination, perhaps?"

Kevin's appearance sends a message to Maximilian. His presence clearly reminded Maximilian of the man he had clashed in racing decades ago.

The young German racer approaches Maximilian, and reaches out his arm to shake hands.

Kevin: "Oh hey! Good evening, Mr. Marsh. It's nice seeing you here."

End of Page 1

Page 2 - The Bold Brazilian

Meanwhile, as the shindig presses on, a certain guest arrives...

20200413172003.jpg

20200413172010.jpg

And he's none other than the independent Brazilian-Japanese journalist named Kenjiro Sato. Getting out of the car, he straightens up his white blazer. He fixes his brown hair with only one hand as he walks towards the elevator.

Upon arriving in the hall, he witnesses the drivers of each team on the stage, putting up a toast to signal the opening of the championship. Kenjiro smiles, especially that he sees Kevin on the stage, the man who is one among the individuals he's interested in, for his journalism work.

Next, he turns his head right, and looks at Mila. Suddenly, Mila looks on her left, and manages to make eye contact. Mila then remembers their conversation...

Kenjiro: "Didn't you write in your book that Alan Long was part of a secret organization? And didn't you also write that there's something deeper? Now tell me, is that merely a cliffhanger to urge people to buy a sequel you're writing? Or is it perhaps there really is something hiding beneath? Are you, a reputable journalist, would resort to lies? Hmph... I've stumbled upon an article of a Japanese sports scandal, and Maximilian Marsh was involved, apparently. But it lead to a dead end, with that man getting off the hook. Another select few of athletes coming from various disciplines of sport are also pointing fingers to the same man.

And to finally answer your question? He must "answer" to Kevin. And that is what WE should find out. I've, however, have gotten hold of this interesting history of Maximilian. He was once a racer 30 or so years ago."

Her smile wears off, and then she quickly looks away. Julie notices the tension from her.

Julie: "Mila? Are you okay?"

Mila: "Yes. I maybe am a bit tired. Well, being pregnant and all."

Julie: "Don't worry, the night won't last long anyway. We'll go home early if you want to."

Kenjiro simply walks by as the opening ceremony ends. He then notices Kevin talking to Maximilian, along with Nobuhiko Hiramoto. He observes the conversation, being intrigued.

Kenjiro: "Fascinating. I've also gotten hold of the information that Nobuhiko Hiramoto is also part of Maximilian's "Council", and as well as the tense history between him and Kevin Kern."

In the conversation...

Kevin: "I know I will see you here."

Nobuhiko: "Of course. This is one championship I'll never pass up. I'm merely fulfilling my father's true goal."

Maximilian: "Oh, Nobuhiko-san? How's your mother doing lately?"

Nobuhiko: "Doing well. Though of course she's still coping up with the loss."

Kevin: "Great to hear. Well, if anything, maybe you can take out your grief during the race."

Maximilian: "Um... excuse me? I'll head to the bathroom for a moment. You boys have fun."

Maximilian pats on Nobuhiko's shoulder as he excuses himself from the increasingly awkward and tense situation.

Kevin: "You seem to be handling loss well. Seems like you've completely gotten over it."

Nobuhiko: "I still think about him, everyday."

Kevin: "That's all well and good. But what about the others? You also lost them. You're just going to get over them? I hope... you have a good night's sleep. Excuse me."

Kevin leaves Nobuhiko before the situation could heat up even further. As he walks back to his team's table, Kevin clenches his right fist.

As he returned, Julie informs him that they will be leaving immediately, mentioning Mila's fatigue as one of the reasons.

Julie: "Well, the ceremony's ended, and we must go. Mila is tired. Expecting women should get more rest."

Kevin: "Agreed. Let's go back to the hotel."

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Time: 10 pm

Kenjiro has left the party as well, having nothing else to learn apart from Nobuhiko's alleged connection to Maximilian. Upon heading to his room, he opens his personal computer. On the left, there are photographs of the persons connected to his investigation.

He also noticed during the party that a few teams weren't present, but one particular team sparked his interest - Rote Strahl. Rote Strahl is just like Geschwindigkeit, a German-based team but competing only in the GT500 class. It is one among of the few foreign teams competing in the Super GT, further enlarging its diversity.

He looks up the team's name through a search engine in the Internet. He manages to find a website, and upon delving into it, it turns out that Uwe Gottlieb is the owner of the team, and Gottlieb is already on Kenjiro's list, having known of his connection to Maximilian too.

From a Japanese sports scandal, and now to the world of racing, all lines connect to Maximilian. This has further increased Kenjiro's workload.

Kenjiro: "Who would have thought? I just wanted to expose a sports scandal and now I'm messing with the FIA. And here I thought the organization is squeaky clean."

He then crosses his legs, and smiles.

Kenjiro: "If Mila Janson cooperates, the truth shall come out, and the sports world will change in ways we could never imagine. However, what I'm truly interested in is...

...how would Kevin react, if he finds out the truth about the dark deeds of Maximilian Marsh? Mila already knows, and I can tell even a while ago that she is still shaken."

Time: 12 pm, the next day

The next day, Kenjiro heads over to Fuji Speedway, as he had gotten information that the Rote Strahl is having a test session in the circuit. He hopes he can meet Uwe Gottlieb.

20200414162557.jpg

However, to his disappointment, he finds out that the German tycoon has already left the country. He only sees the mechanics and the three drivers named - Paulo Lopez, Satoshi Ando, and Anton Weber.

He speaks to one of them, to Paulo, that is.

Paulo: "So, you're a journalist? What are you trying to cover?"

Kenjiro: "I wish to speak to Mr. Uwe Gottlieb. I am covering for sports events."

Paulo: "I'm afraid he already left for Europe. And as for me, I'm also leaving for Florida tomorrow. Only two drivers will run for this championship."

Kenjiro: "Why head to Florida?"

Paulo: "To take care of things in Palm City's Speedhunters Showdown. The boss asked me to."

Kenjiro: "I see. Well, mind if I watch your practice and take photos?"

Paulo: "Be our guest."

Kenjiro then prepares his large DSLR camera. He would then go to various parts of the circuit to capture photos of the car in action. He had been hired to photograph various celebrities and even royalty. His photography is mostly his source of income.

20200414162606.jpg

He does not mind the long walks nor the popping sounds generated by the GT-R's engine. All that matters is the perfect shot.

20200414162612.jpg

20200414162620.jpg

20200414162626.jpg

However...

Kenjiro: "Taking photos of the car in action is merely a ruse. It has been a part of my plan to conceal my true intentions, though I still failed to interview Mr. Gottlieb."

Kenjiro places the lid on the camera's lens, to signify that he's finished with the shoots. However, all is not lost for today...

Kenjiro: "Satoshi Ando? Interesting... he's one of the athletes who allegedly was indicted to the scandal. Why is he in the team? To rebuild his reputation? That Gottlieb guy must have some serious charisma."

End of Page 2

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- I have shared liveries of both the GT-R and RCF GT500. I need volunteers for those.

Page 3 - Diversity

Time: 7 pm

Meanwhile, when dusk swaps places with the sun, a familiar racer is seen on the streets of Tokyo.

20200426163205.jpg

Then it heads to a popular traditional Japanese restaurant and parks within the premises.

20200426163215.jpg

Exiting the car is none other than Yuki Kanonji, who still is a member of Dream Alliance Japan. Apparently, he was invited by Takanori to join dinner with his teammates in Geschwindigkeit.

Inside, Yuki is escorted by the receptionist wearing a traditional Kimono to fit the restaurant's theme. Yuki finally joins the group in a private room, all are sitting on the traditional Tatami mat with a low table. Kevin is, obviously, enamoured with the surroundings, especially that on his right presents a terrace with a beautiful pond with Koi fish in it.

Julie: "Ah, he's here now. We can start ordering."

Yuki sits beside his cousin, Takanori, while Julie is speaking with the waitress on their orders.

Takanori: "Thank you for coming, Yuki."

Yuki: "Well, I live alone and don't talk much to my teammates anyway, not even to Nobu-senpai."

Takanori: "So, how's the team?"

Yuki crosses his arms and briefly looks up the ceiling.

Yuki: "Sigh... I've been relegated as the backup driver. Nobuyuki and Nobu-senpai will run for the GT500, while two new members will represent the GT300."

Takanori: "Well, what about the driver applications? Is it still ongoing?"

Yuki: "Yeah, but I do see some representatives from the FIA filtering out the applicants. It wasn't that way before Hiroyuki-san passed on."

Kevin: "The fact that you're not even speaking to your mentor speaks volumes on how much he's changed."

Yuki: "I still look up to him, but there are times that I want to question his decisions. One of them is prioritizing Japanese applicants over foreign ones. The team was originally a springboard for starting drivers from all corners of the world as we know it."

Takanori: "Man, even I'm out of the loop now, despite the team being closer to home."

Kevin: "Yuki-san... to be frank, you should grow a spine. This isn't about a mentor-protege relationship anymore, it's now about your self-worth. If you think your mentor isn't the person you know anymore, then let him know how you feel. There's nothing wrong with asserting yourself.

I don't get why most Asian cultures are like this, but being submissive isn't the best trait in the world."

The ice in Yuki's glass slides down.

Yuki: "It's not going to be easy, but thanks for your insight. I know what's going on between you and Senpai. And to be honest, I thank you for standing up for my cousin."

Both Yuki and Kevin smiled at each other. A new friendship has formed tonight.

The rest of the night was filled with good vibes as they enjoy traditional Japanese meals, something that Kevin had been craving for a long time.

Time: 12 pm, six days later

Today marks the start of the Super GT season, with the first round being held in Fuji Speedway. The season only comprises of four rounds, with the other circuits being Autopolis, Kyoto, and Suzuka in the final. The rounds will take place every after two weeks for logistical reasons.

Being a major motorsport event, sports media outlets from various parts of the world arrive to cover the event. Crowds are at the pit lane shopping for various team merchandise, and Julie makes the pitch for the team, being a businesswoman herself. Geschwindigkeit sells T-Shirts, keychains, and even customized versions of diecast scale models of the cars they race, donning their team's liveries.

Kevin's fans are of course present to have pictures taken with him and autographs.

Julie: "We're truly raking it in today."

Takanori: "All the more reason why Hiroyuki-san favored Kevin when it came to turning the Dream Alliance's fortunes around."

After the national anthem, the race begins. Maximilian Marsh is in the airconditioned viewing room overlooking the main straight, located just above the pit garages.

As he sits down, he then reaches for something in the inside pocket of his blazer. However, he couldn't seem to get it. Was it lost, perhaps?

Maximilian: "I might have forgotten my little journal. I want to write about this occasion... it started perfectly."

The race begins without incident. In the GT300 class, Geschwindigkeit makes an instant impression as it rapidly rises up the ranks.

20200426163223.jpg

20200426163229.jpg

Dream Alliance Japan also performs admirably.

20200426163236.jpg

20200426163242.jpg

Then an hour later, it was Kevin's turn to run. The GT500 class obviously is the main attraction of Super GT. And seeing them alongside the GT300 makes it even more exciting and diverse.

20200426163248.jpg

The GT-R GT500 of Rote Strahl has set the fastest qualifying lap time. It raised eyebrows of some, as it is expected that a Japanese team would lead the fray.

And Nobuhiko isn't too keen on it either...

20200426163254.jpg

Nobuhiko: "My father wanted to represent Japan to the world. I want to resume that. But how am I supposed to achieve that when there's a huge foreign influx?! Two German teams now dominate the field?"

20200426163300.jpg

Meanwhile, Kevin couldn't even speak a word in his livestream as he is to focus a lot more.

20200426163306.jpg

Kevin: "I can't even speak to my fans right now. Super GT is way more intense than I thought! It's more tense than any of those European GT racing series!

Despite that, Kevin's optimism is his weapon against the immense pressure brought upon by the championship.

20200426163312.jpg

Kevin: "Rote Strahl... that's "Red Stream" in German. Never heard of the team before, but they are impressive, nonetheless.

I'm in for a tough season! And that will be great!"

End of Page 3

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- By the way, I've already done all the races for this story arc. I want to thank the volunteers who came up on such short notice. The quarantine over here is extended once more, so it gave me more time to write.

Page 4: The Little Journal

The race rages on.

20200426163312.jpg

Kevin feels optimistic despite the pressure weighing down on him. GT500 cars are faster than GT3 racing cars, so the extra speed demands more control, which further contributes to the struggle.

20200427173538.jpg

However, the track's main straight is the highlight for both the audiences and drivers alike. The most spectacular overtakes occur on that very spot. The straight provides a longer opportunity for slipstreaming compared to other circuits in the world.

Kevin, on the other hand, seems to have been struggling in there.

20200427173549.jpg

Kevin: "Dammit... I'm about to overtake, but the draft isn't enough to blast by!"

Slowing down for the hairpin, Nobuhiko tries to take the outside for a pass, but...

20200427173556.jpg

20200427173601.jpg

The RCF's tires are on the verge of giving up, sending the car's nose to the outside.

Nobuhiko: "Damn... I should have switched to Medium compounds and not these Soft ones. I wasted them all trying to overtake them both!"

The NSX is also limping, as the brakes are growing considerably weaker, prompting him to slow down earlier than usual approaching the turns.

The Rote Strahl GT-R soldiers on, asserting its dominance in the beginning of the championship.

20200427173608.jpg

Satoshi: "Am I expecting that from Kevin Kern? Mr. Gottlieb told us to toughen him up. But in this situation? I doubt it."

20200427173614.jpg

With the GT-R in great distance away from the others, Geschwindigkeit's victory in the first round is definitely not within the reach anymore...

Time: 5 pm

The race ended with Rote Strahl's victory on their maiden race. Though Geschwindigkeit managed to finish 2nd in GT500 while placing first in GT300.

As the day ends, meanwhile, Kenjiro arrives at the parking lot just in front of his home.

20200427173635.jpg

He had watched the race too. Though he had expected the result, for him the day ended with high note. He grins momentarily as he switches off the car's engine.

Kenjiro: "Rote Strahl's maiden race was a success as expected, but Kevin shouldn't feel bad either. But who is the happiest person today?"

Looking at the passenger seat, there's a small notebook. Kenjiro picks it up, and again shows his grin.

Kenjiro: "Oh how wonderful fate can be? It just happened that I checked in the same hotel as Maximilian the night before the race. He was carrying it all along, until he checked out, that is.

Perhaps his age made him forget this minuscule notebook on the front desk? I don't know. As I get it, I opened it and lo and behold... everything I need is in there. I must make haste, though..."

Kenjiro steps out of the car, carrying the notebook and then enters his home. Upon entering his room, Kenjiro takes off his white blazer and removes his necktie and then unbuttoned the top part of his shirt. He places the notebook on his desk as he helps himself with a cup of coffee.

Kenjiro: "Mila Janson will also rejoice upon seeing this. I must have this photocopied."

End of Page 4

Page 5 - The Feeble

Time: 1 pm, the next day

The after the race day, Kevin decided to head outside and go to Akihabara, to satisfy his anime cravings. Kiehl and Janine also head out together to a different part of the city. Julie, meanwhile, heads to a shopping mall to buy souvenirs.

Mila, on the other hand, decided to stay under the guise that she's not feeling well, but in actuality, she is to meet Kenjiro once more in the hotel's restaurant.

As Kevin exits the hotel, he spots Kenjiro's 911 on the driveway. Kenjiro exits the car holding a leather covered file case and merely passes by Kevin as he gets inside the hotel. The valet driver then takes the 911 to its parking spot.

20200428163442.jpg

However, Kenjiro turns around, and puts up a brief grin as he sees Kevin walking away.

Upon getting in the restaurant, Kenjiro manages to find a table, and then sends an SMS to Mila informing her that he's arrived.

20 minutes later, Mila arrives, carrying her laptop. Upon sitting down, she ties her hair back to form a ponytail.

Mila: "Great timing! Well, what are you going to show me?"

Kenjiro: "This."

Kenjiro opens up the file case, and takes out the stapled sheets of paper that are basically the photocopies of the contents of Maximilian's journal.

Kenjiro: "Read them while your boyfriend is out. This is a wonderful breakthrough."

Mila skims through the pages, and her eyes are widened, being overwhelmed with its contents.

Mila: "So this confirms your suspicions. But check this out too."

Mila then opens her laptop, and shows a picture of a flowchart of the persons connected with Maximilian, including of course, Kevin and Gerhard Kern.

Mila: "This flowchart, at first, seemed vague because that's the only thing sent to me."

Kenjiro: "So, who sent that?"

Mila: "Anonymous. But that sender promised me to send even more. I don't know who he is, but this is all too good. Could this be a trap? Who has been leaking information like this to me, probably on a daily basis?"

Kenjiro crosses his legs and now begins to ponder.

Kenjiro: "You do have a point there. But it could be someone who has an angst towards Marsh. Who knows? Surely, a man like Maximilian wouldn't dare leak out his dirty little secrets, would he?"

Mila: "What you gave me are photocopies. Where is the original?"

Kenjiro: "I followed him to his hotel and I nonchalantly left it on the front desk for safekeeping. Surely, he'll be reunited with it."

Mila: "We might be risking our lives here, but this opportunity is grand. I'm going to prepare a questionnaire and interview him."

Kenjiro: "Such a bold move. I admire that."

Mila: "I've interviewed mafia leaders before, so I'm used to the tension."

Kenjiro: "Be careful though. We all know how he disposed of Kevin's father."

Mila: "Doesn't matter. I'll get the truth out to everyone. If ever something happens to me after the interview, at least the world will know who to point fingers at. I know what I'm doing. Isn't that also your plan? To let Japan know that there's something fishy in the sports community too? And the FIA as well?"

Kenjiro: "Hmph! What about Kevin? Do you think he will be prepared for this? Better time it right, as he has a championship to win."

Meanwhile, a track day takes place in Tsukuba Circuit.

While most of the cars are tuned domestics, an open-cockpit Honda racer plays around with them.

20200428163451.jpg

The car in question is the Honda 2&4 Powered by RC213V. It has the V4 engine of the RC213V motorcycle.

Driving the car is none other than Yuki Kanonji, who seems to have been troubled lately, and today is his time to let off some steam.

20200428163458.jpg

Yuki: "Lately, I'm questioning my worth to the team. You know, Kevin-san might be right after all. I've got to assert myself, even if that is to someone very close to me."

20200428163505.jpg

Yuki firms his grasp on the wheel as he takes the first corner after starting another lap.

Yuki: "That's it. I'm going to talk to him tonight. I might bring Takanori too. I'm pretty sure this will be settled amicably."

Time: 6 pm; one week later

After some scheduling conflicts, Yuki finally arranged a meeting between him, Takanori and Nobuhiko. He may be hopeful that the bond will be fixed, but he also has a hint of anxiety.

Minutes later, they both arrive, with Takanori parking his GT-R Nismo and Nobuhiko exiting his father's 2000GT.

20200428163512.jpg

Takanori and Nobuhiko stared at each other. But Yuki attempts to drown out the tension.

Yuki: "Mind if we get some drinks first?"

Takanori: "Sure."

Yuki and Takanori get drinks from the vending machine, Takanori also got one for Nobuhiko, and hands it over.

The fizzles from the cans were brief, but the conversation would definitely take much longer....

Nobuhiko: "Why do we have this meeting?"

Takanori: "Yuki and I wanted to talk to you."

Nobuhiko: "About what? How I handle the team? As far as I know, Takanori-san, you have no business talking matters regarding the Dream Alliance the moment you and your twin decided to leave it."

Takanori: "That's because you shunned him out and blamed him for your father's death. You think my twin took this lightly and just walked away? He took it hard. Real hard. So much so, that he's willing to drown himself into late Sir Ben's real estate business just to get over his grief! For me, that's not the right way to move on. My mother was worried so much about him."

Nobuhiko: "Then why he didn't come here too?"

Takanori: "That's because you refuse to listen. Your mind is still laced with grief. And now, you're changing the team in the ways even your father can't imagine. What would he think if he saw you now?"

Nobuhiko: "I'm merely finishing what he started. That is, he wanted to pursue a dream when Japan will ever be recognized in the world of motorsport."

Takanori: "We've already done it! What more could you want?!"

Nobuhiko: "But the problem was, there were more foreign talents, taking the credit for themselves, betraying my father's goal. I didn't even want to know why he allowed that because of my love towards him. And mind you, your twin promised me to take care of my father, but guess what... who's six feet under now?"

Takanori: "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I didn't know you could be this... selfish. My brother did exactly your father wished."

Nobuhiko: "And yet he's feeble. He can't keep a promise. How ironic for a man filled with principles and unflinching will."

And... in just a split second...

Yuki's fist lands a blow on Nobuhiko's nose. Nobuhiko lost his balance and managed to get leverage on the 2000GT's hood. Takanori gasps at what his cousin did.

Yuki: "ARE YOU.... OUT OF YOUR MIND?! Dream Alliance was formed because we had one goal. One vision! We were united in our battles! Are fame and fortune now that important to you, more important than camaraderie? How dare you insult my cousin. And also, how dare you put me on the sidelines. Am I that worthless to you now? NOBUHIKO?! HUH?! WHERE'S THE MENTOR THAT I USED TO KNOW AND RESPECT?! DID YOU FORGET IT SOMEWHERE?! HAS THE FIA BOUGHT YOUR INTEGRITY?! WHY CAN'T YOU ANSWER NOW, HUH?!"

Yuki was overwhelmed. He no longer sees the mentor he used to know. He is shaking, and so does his fist.

Takanori: "Yuki..."

Nobuhiko was also taken by surprise, having his protege knocking sense to him which he wasn't expecting at all. He merely gets back in his car, starts it up and drives away.

Yuki: "I'm... sorry. I shouldn't have called this meeting at all."

Takanori: "Don't blame yourself. I'm actually happy... that you stood up for both me and Aniki. I'm sure one day, Nobuhiko-san will see the light."

Time: 1 pm, one week later

The battle continues on the second round, taking place at Autopolis. Rote Strahl may have once again set the fastest qualifying lap time, but today Geschwindigkeit makes a solid performance in both GT300 and GT500 categories, holding on to the lead despite the pressure.

20200428163520.jpg

Meanwhile, Nobuhiko is still shaken from his meeting with the Kanonjis last week. Even though Yuki is still within the Dream Alliance Japan, his protege is still giving him a cold shoulder.

But that won't allow him to cost the race...

20200428163527.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Maybe what I said was too much. Maybe I deserved that punch. But... I can't stop now. FIA has promised me to help further my goals. I've got everything I need."

20200428163533.jpg

Nobuhiko: "I have to win... for Japan. Nothing else matters than fulfilling my father's lifelong goal since he started out. What is wrong with continuing it?"

End of Page 5

COMING SOON...

Paulo Evo 9.jpg

Rote Strahl Preview 1.jpg

Rote Strahl Preview 2.jpg

Page 6 - Worth

20200430181502.jpg

As it was and always has been, the GT500 class provides nail-biting excitement for the fans, especially that two new foreign-based teams show stellar performance equalling that of the long-running teams, and giving Nobuhiko a run for his money.

20200430181512.jpg

Anton Weber is behind the helm of the GT-R, butting heads with Kevin.

20200430181519.jpg

He, too, managed to set the fastest qualifying lap time. But of course, qualifying lap times don't automatically determine the outcome of a race. Anything can happen. Tables can turn.

Nobuhiko: "I gotta admit that these two German teams are fast. However, Rote Strahl is a completely new competitor. I haven't heard of them anywhere. But for them to be this fast, I'm sure their boss is an expert on this field.

20200430181525.jpg

Nobuhiko: "But... I'm not gonna allow myself to lose against foreign talents! I have already lost so much... I cannot afford to lose more."

20200430181531.jpg

As Nobuhiko makes his move on the main straight...

20200430181537.jpg

...the GT-R makes a peculiar move - blocking the RCF's overtake.

20200430181544.jpg

Nobuhiko: "The GT-R blocked the only line for me to pass. But... he didn't mind the NSX either.

20200430181550.jpg

The GT-R then lets the NSX take the lead, further confusing Nobuhiko.

Nobuhiko: "Why did the GT-R let the NSX lead? Was that a mistake on his part? Or is the NSX just faster?"

On to the next corner, the GT-R then blocks the RCF's attempt to pass the inside.

20200430181556.jpg

However, the RCF manages to accelerate faster on the exit and overtake the GT-R.

20200430181602.jpg

Nobuhiko: "That was an odd move. But that should be out of the way now. I'm focusing on Kevin next. He and I aren't done yet."

20200430181607.jpg

Meanwhile, despite the skirmish, Anton Weber merely grins.

Weber: "Heh. I'm merely following Mr. Kern's orders. Though I wonder when he will tell his son the truth?"

But his confidence was short-lived, as he tackled the first corner too fast.

20200430181614.jpg

Weber: "Ah. Scheisse! But no matter. My work is done. I'll let those two butt heads for now."

Now that the RCF and NSX are further away, it's time for Nobuhiko to make a move.

But it seems that once again fate does not favor him...

20200430181620.jpg

The RCF entered the next corner too fast, though manages to recover unlike the GT-R.

Despite that, the RCF no longer has the chance to overtake the NSX at this state.

20200430181626.jpg

20200430181632.jpg

Nobuhiko: "All right, you win this round. But in Suzuka I won't be merciful....

20200430181638.jpg

The crowd cheered as the NSX gets past the checkered flag to take the win for the second round. And of course, there is a double celebration.

20200430181646.jpg

20200430181652.jpg

Janine Altenbach takes the 911 RSR for its second win in the GT300 class. Julie is overjoyed to see the results for today.

Time: 6 pm, the next day

The next day, Rote Strahl drivers Satoshi and Anton are now in the high speed bullet train heading back to Tokyo. While Anton is dozing off, Satoshi puts out his laptop on puts it on the folded down tray. He then connects to a video messaging application, to contact Gerhard Kern who is in Europe at the moment.

Satoshi smiles, and then the conversation starts.

Satoshi: "Mr. Gottlieb, we're heading back to Tokyo."

Gerhard: "Good. I actually watched the race, and both of you did exactly as I ordered."

Satoshi: "With Kevin winning, I'm pretty sure Nobuhiko must be feeling down."

Gerhard: "Soon, the seeds of doubt will sprout. And then later, he must be questioning his own self-worth, for choosing fame over camaraderie. Maximilian Marsh played dirty on us, and so shall we. Poor Nobuhiko got dragged into this, but I still see a little bit of hope.

Poor Maxi... he does not have any idea how dirty I can get.

"Keep playing the guardian angel role. I'll do the rest."

End of Page 6

Page 7 - Kyoto Rumble (Part I)

Time: 11 am, one week later

Geschwindigkeit treat themselves to watch another race - this time in Kyoto - where they provide support for their Formula division.

20200501095038.jpg

They will be racing in the track too, next week that is, for the third round of the Super GT. At the moment, Benjamin Kanonji is behind the wheel of the Dallara SF19.

The race is merely a single one, with the other taking place the other week, and Formula Geschwindigkeit was invited to test. Benjamin insisted on putting a livery on the car already, signifying his eagerness to further his career.

20200501095047.jpg

Kevin is amazed at the improvement of the team's logistics.

Kevin: "Wow! I can't believe how much more organized this team is now!"

Abel: "I sought help from a former F1 team manager. And not just that, the racers are doing extraordinarily, such as Isaiah."

Upon hearing his name, Isaiah Geronimo turns his head and joins the conversation.

Isaiah: "I think it's all because of your father's untiring efforts to keep the team afloat. And besides, all three of us drivers are getting along better."

Kevin suddenly excuses himself as nature calls.

Kevin: "Oof, excuse me. I gotta head to the bathroom."

After the deed, Kevin washes his hands. And as he is about to exit the bathroom, he bumps by Kenjiro Sato.

Kenjiro: "Oops. Sorry."

Kevin: "I'm sorry too.. I wasn't looking."

Kenjiro merely smiles, but he will not let off Kevin without a word.

Kenjiro: "Next time, better look carefully. You might bump onto something you won't like."

Kevin merely leaves, but bewildered by Kenjiro's cryptic message.

Kevin: "Huh? Who is he? What is he on about?"

A few laps later, and Formula Geschwindigkeit takes the win.

20200501095054.jpg

This would surely push Benjamin into joining the Super Formula series. After the victory celebration, Benjamin places the trophy on the table and talks to his friends.

Kevin: "You did great, Little Ben!"

Benjamin: "How many times I told you not to call me that? Sure, I'm a teenager, but..."

Alexei: "Better than Big Ben, that's for sure."

Kevin: "Hey, let's celebrate! Besides, this gives me the inspiration to win next week's race!"

Time: 9 pm

The entire celebrated their victory in the hotel's restaurant. It was a grand dinner, and Kevin pretty much stuffed himself and slept early. Mila is surprised but also chuckling to see Kevin already on the bed sleeping and didn't even bother to change.

Then she feels her phone vibrate in her pocket. Upon picking it up, it's Kenjiro calling. Seeing this could be an important, but private, matter, she gets out of the room and head over to the emergency stairs. She closes the door as she picks up the call.

Mila: "Hello, Kenjiro-san?"

Kenjiro: "Hello. And congrats to your team winning the Super Formula single test race."

Mila: "Thank you, but why did you call?"

Kenjiro: "Just called to ask if you have set an interview with Maximilian Marsh."

Mila: "I finally did. But that will be for a week after the Round 3, in the FIA HQ in Tokyo."

Kenjiro: "Nice."

Mila: "But I'm just overwhelmed. I've been bombarded with lots of incriminating information from that anonymous sender. I've had to frequently revise the questionnaire based on the new information."

Kenjiro: "At least your interview won't be a short one."

Mila: "However, all of these is just too precious. I'm baffled on how can I get these kinds of information so easily. I'm now starting to believe that this really is a trap."

Kenjiro: "In that case, do not go alone. Have someone accompany you except Kevin."

Mila: "What about you?"

Kenjiro: "I can't. Maximilian already knows I'm chasing after him after I got wind of the scandal. He might think we're in cahoots. At least you have a different topic on your hands.

Take care and good luck."

The call ends, and for a brief moment, Mila closes her eyes and clutches on her phone firmly.

Meanwhile, in another hotel room on the other side of the floor, Abel Kern is taking a shower, and his roommate is Alexei Bourdovsky. While waiting for his turn, Alexei is using his laptop. He shows an impish grin on his face as he closes it down.

And as it turns out...

Alexei: "Enjoy them, little Miss investigative reporter. Never thought that Rob would be much slower than I expected.

Sorry to derail your plans, Mr. Hatch. We're rivals now. I'm a spy just like you.

Painful as it may sound, but Kevin has the right to know the truth. No use hiding it, lest he's being targeted at the back. He needs weapons to fight."

Time: 10 am, one week later

Round 3 begins. But it begins on a peculiar note...

20200501095101.jpg

Rote Strahl has to start all the way from behind despite setting the fastest qualifying time. Satoshi demanded an explanation, but all he could get was the reason that they are too dominant, in which he didn't buy.

Satoshi: "Their reasoning is ridiculous. I'm afraid this is Maximilian playing dirty once more. He let the Geschwindigkeit and DA Japan take the top spots. This will not sit well with Mr. Kern."

20200501095108.jpg

(Background Music: Like This - Nonsense & KANDY)

Regardless, Satoshi still has to show to the crowd why their team is a force to be reckoned with, flying past other cars like mowing down the fields of wheat.

20200501095114.jpg

Satoshi: "I will not be played by Maximilian Marsh's schemes once again. He promised me greatness and yet left me in the wake of the doping scandal. Your hands will always be dirty no matter how much you wash them."

20200501095120.jpg

The crowd is once again pleased by the new fastest lap time that Satoshi set.

20200501095127.jpg

20200501095133.jpg

Satoshi: "Time will come that you will pay for your sinister deeds, Maximilian. Mr. Kern will make sure of that. And you should also fear that his son MIGHT be coming after you too. Don't sit on your laurels."

Meanwhile, in the GT300 class, Kiehl has found a worthy competitor in the category. An Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 driven by Pedro Harsk hailing from Portugal. He had set a qualifying lap time mere milliseconds slower than the 911 RSR.

20200501095140.jpg

Kiehl: "Finally... a worthy opponent unlike those swills from the Dream Alliance Japan."

20200501095146.jpg

20200501095152.jpg

20200501095159.jpg

Kiehl: "At least I have a worthwhile battle similar to those in GT500."

End of Page 7

Back