READ THE OP! GTP Cool Wall Nomination Thread [Always accepting more cars!]

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 3,560 comments
Going to agree with Custom that I think the nominators should come up with the info... Otherwise this thread will get very flooded, very fast, and very muddled. I don't really see this going well.

SVX
Going to agree with Custom that I think the nominators should come up with the info... Otherwise this thread will get very flooded, very fast, and very muddled. I don't really see this going well.
When I curated the Alternative Cool Wall in the Rumble Strip, not having the nominators find the info actually worked well, so I'm assuming it'll be the same case here. Of course, once polls start going up I'll analyze how it's going; if I find that the new system isn't working well, than I am totally open to reverting back to the "old" nomination method.

2020-lincoln-aviator-front-1549906852.jpg

1937_Rolls-Royce_Phantom_III_Sedanca_de_Ville_-_103CP38_-_fvr2.jpg

2020-lincoln-aviator-front-1549906852.jpg

1937_Rolls-Royce_Phantom_III_Sedanca_de_Ville_-_103CP38_-_fvr2.jpg
I'm going to have to disqualify the Rolls Royce from being nominated, sorry. I could not find enough of the essential requirements for specs anywhere online. Unless you could provide them somehow, would you mind nominating something else? The Aviator is totally fine though.

Nomination 1: 2018 Jaguar XE SV Project 8

Nomination 2: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Last edited:
Because the number of nominations in the queue is rather high, one poll will go up every day rather than two for the time being, starting Tuesday.

I'm going to have to disqualify the Rolls Royce from being nominated, sorry. I could not find enough of the essential requirements for specs anywhere online. Unless you could provide them somehow, would you mind nominating something else? The Aviator is totally fine though.

For the Rolls-Royce Phantom III:
Body Style: Four-Door Town Car
Engine: 7.32L Aluminum-alloy pushrod V12
Power: 165 hp ("sufficient," as they advertised)
Torque:
Weight: approx. 3500 KG (7700 lbs)
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Drivetrain: Front Engine, RWD
Additional Information: The Phantom III was the last car Henry Royce had a part of before he died at the age of 70 -- It was the only V12 Rolls-Royce until 1998 -- The body on this Phantom was built in 1946 by coachbuilder Freestone and Webb -- Copper skin placed over sections of the steel body work -- Ivory and Brass adorn the maroon interior

Torque was the only thing I couldn't find. If this still won't work, I'll change the nomination

For the Rolls-Royce Phantom III:
Body Style: Four-Door Town Car
Engine: 7.32L Aluminum-alloy pushrod V12
Power: 165 hp ("sufficient," as they advertised)
Torque:
Weight:
approx. 3500 KG (7700 lbs)
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Drivetrain: Front Engine, RWD
Additional Information: The Phantom III was the last car Henry Royce had a part of before he died at the age of 70 -- It was the only V12 Rolls-Royce until 1998 -- The body on this Phantom was built in 1946 by coachbuilder Freestone and Webb -- Copper skin placed over sections of the steel body work -- Ivory and Brass adorn the maroon interior

Torque was the only thing I couldn't find. If this still won't work, I'll change the nomination
Thanks. I'll let the missing torque slide, as I doubt it would sway people's vote.

Nomination I: 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo ASC-McLaren
Nomination II: 1998 Maserati Quattroporte Evoluzione 3.2 V8 Biturbo

Always loved the cool wall, so great to see it back in business!

Because the number of nominations in the queue is rather high, one poll will go up every day rather than two for the time being, starting Tuesday.

Oh god, no. This didn't work last time. All it did was absolutely flood the Cars in General subforum with polls, making it impossible to find anything.

SVX
Oh god, no. This didn't work last time. All it did was absolutely flood the Cars in General subforum with polls, making it impossible to find anything.
To be fair, the final nominations in the queue would have to wait nearly two months to get a thread, which seems excessive to me. Having one nomination a today rather than every other day will only be a temporary thing as the queue is pretty long right now. I sort of expected this, being that the Wall just came back and many members want their nominations in, but soon I figure there will be less nominations, under 20 probably, as the regular.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but before Wiegert curated the Wall, wasn’t one nomination a day the standard rate (or two nominations every other day)?

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but before Wiegert curated the Wall, wasn’t one nomination a day the standard rate (or two nominations every other day)?

Yeah, and that was too much.

Not requiring the nominator to come up with any info is most of the reason for the flood- any joe blog can come in and nominate something. Sounds good, but then everyone nominates something because such a lack of effort is required to do so.

I hate to sound so pessimistic but I really don't see a point to it returning. Especially if it means for the majority of threads I like to follow from time to time getting buried for a thread that stops being relevant the next day.

Isn't it possible to make several polls within one thread? I'd think clustering the nomination queue by manufacturer might help?

SVX
Yeah, and that was too much.

Not requiring the nominator to come up with any info is most of the reason for the flood- any joe blog can come in and nominate something. Sounds good, but then everyone nominates something because such a lack of effort is required to do so.

I hate to sound so pessimistic but I really don't see a point to it returning. Especially if it means for the majority of threads I like to follow from time to time getting buried for a thread that stops being relevant the next day.
I brought the Wall back in an attempt to bring more traffic to the Cars in General sub forum, the area on GTP which I frequent most. Without the Wall, there really isn’t a place to discuss a certain car anymore, as threads like “forgotten cars thread” and the such, are long dead. I understand certain members would not like the return of the Wall and this is something I knew going in, but you simply can’t please everybody.

@Obelisk, I don’t think there can be multiple polls in one thread.

I brought the Wall back in an attempt to bring more traffic to the Cars in General sub forum, the area on GTP which I frequent most.

But why? It's not a front page news outlet. Considering the amount of threads you've already started for discussion of niche car groups, or very specific discussions, I'm not sure why it's your duty.

If you want to discuss a specific car, I'm not sure a 'cool wall' is the best place to do it. The definition of cool isn't to something you like, so it doesn't really sound like the place to achieve what you're setting out to do.

I'd be more in favour of something brand new- something like the very popular 'Beater or Sleeper' in the GT sections, where you can compile it into one main thread. I dunno, try something different- I'd say there is a reason why this would be the fifth (!!) time this thing has been revived.

Edit:

Forgotten cars thread being dead? I'm sure it was just being posted in the other day. Unless you can get people to the site, like a front page redirection to the thread, I'm not sure where people are going to come from. I would say an insightful opinion on interior design by @Eunos_Cosmo or a well written retrospective on a car @homeforsummer has recalled works a lot more to get worthwhile traffic than 'SUBRC' five times in a thread.

SVX
But why? It's not a front page news outlet. Considering the amount of threads you've already started for discussion of niche car groups, or very specific discussions, I'm not sure why it's your duty.

If you want to discuss a specific car, I'm not sure a 'cool wall' is the best place to do it. The definition of cool isn't to something you like, so it doesn't really sound like the place to achieve what you're setting out to do.

I'd be more in favour of something brand new- something like the very popular 'Beater or Sleeper' in the GT sections, where you can compile it into one main thread. I dunno, try something different- I'd say there is a reason why this would be the fifth (!!) time this thing has been revived.

Edit:

Forgotten cars thread being dead? I'm sure it was just being posted in the other day. Unless you can get people to the site, like a front page redirection to the thread, I'm not sure where people are going to come from. I would say an insightful opinion on interior design by @Eunos_Cosmo or a well written retrospective on a car @homeforsummer has recalled works a lot more to get worthwhile traffic than 'SUBRC' five times in a thread.
While you did bring up many good points, I’m still not convinced I should just scrap the cool wall altogether right now, especially since there hasn’t even been one poll posted yet. We can discuss these matters further in a PM if you would like.

Could an admin possibly create a "GTP cool wall" subforum, and put all the polls in there, so there can still a lot of polls, but Cars in General won't get flooded?

Latest Posts

Back