Realistic Dealerships

• Thread starter Bentley
  • 14 comments
:sly: I had some thoughts in mind that would actually make Gran Turismo more of a realistic simulator, other than what it is obviously, a racing simulator. Anyhow my thought was how about actually if Gran Turismo would come forward with the online capabilities, why wouldn't it have more of a realistic dealership method process? To be more precise how about being able to set a amount limit to some of the cars found on dealers?(Example: 200 Ferrari's even though most people wouldn't sell this cars back, that being the downfall) So therefore, only some people would be fortunate to own that exact car, and involving the possibility of selling the car, the car would go down to a used car dealership where people who want the car or need it for a certain race, may be able to purchase the car and use it, the car would have the miles the last user had put into the car, and therefore maybe cars would make more sense. Of course this may sound a little too complicated for some, but with online capabilities all this would be possible. As well adding the ability to set a purchasing plans, such as lease, yea it would also help if Gran Turismo credits weren't so easily acquired, which in my opinion kills the factor of realism in this great series. People could lease the cars, so therefore more people would get the possibility of driving the cars. I just assume this would add more realism, may or may not be a great idea, but what the heck Gran Turismo 5 Forum is getting a little bit boring, so don't just jump on me foolish people! :sly:

SEARCHED AND DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING ON THIS SPECIFIC TOPIC, IF I MISSED IT, PLEASE CLOSE THREAD!!

I think I understand what you're getting at. That with online play, people shouldn't have the exact same car with the exact same paint job with the exact same miles on it. That every car in the game should be unique, like it even has individual VIN numbers.

I don't know if this has occured to Polyphony or not, but that's a fascinating idea. I had noticed that back in GT1, Kazunori (I assume it was Kaz-sama) had said in an interview that the used cars had slightly different parameters coded into them, so that they behaved just a bit differently, so that the car with the lowest miles tended to perform better. I noticed in GT2 that newer versions of the same used car had slightly better handling and performance.

Polyphony wouldn't be able to individualize thousands of cars, at least not realistically without some computer micro-randomization of some pertinent performance parameters, but who knows? Maybe some day, something along these lines might happen in a game.

I think this is a very good idea! 💡

I hope they do something like this in gt5 because i've always though gt needs something special and realistic whenever a new gt comes out on a new console, and with the PS3's online capabilities its possible for this to happen.

Tenacious D
I think I understand what you're getting at. That with online play, people shouldn't have the exact same car with the exact same paint job with the exact same miles on it. That every car in the game should be unique, like it even has individual VIN numbers.

That means that vehicles would have 0Km to 900.000Km. Not just 0, 10.0 and a number bigger than 50.000

Tenacious D
Polyphony wouldn't be able to individualize thousands of cars, at least not realistically without some computer micro-randomization of some pertinent performance parameters, but who knows? Maybe some day, something along these lines might happen in a game.

Perfectly possible.

Let's say, for a car like VW Golf '04

There are 212 available in the user car market.

Brand New
1 VW Golf with 0 - 20 Km

New
3 VW Golf with 21 - 100 Km

Like New
0 VW Golf with 101 - 500 Km

Little Used
4 VW Golf with 501 - 1000 Km

Used
55 VW Golf with 1001 - 4999 Km

Well-Used
90 VW Golf with 4999 - 10000 Km

Used Needs Maintaining
50 VW Golf with 10000 - 49999 Km

Needs Partial Overhaul
8 VW Golf with 50000 - 100000 Km

Needs Full Overhaul
1 with 327.249Km

-> The car should also have a history:
"This VW Golf '04 was previously owned by:"
Kazunori - 27/JUN/06 - Sold to Dealer X for Cr.13.418 w/ 10000Km
Dimitrov - 29/JUN/06 - Bought from Dealer X for Cr. 14.212 w/ 10002 Km
Dimitrov - 31/JAN/07 - Sold to Tenacious D for Cr.2.135 w/ 96.415Km
Tenacious D - 03/FEB/07 - Sold to New-Member for Cr.115.000 w/ 96.415 Km

-> There also should be options like
a) What in this car competed:
Day X - Thursday Cup (3rd)
Day Y - Batman Cup (1st)
Day Z - VW Stars Competition (9th)

b) Repair history:
Day D - Blown Tyre, Replaced
Day G - Hit kerbs the wrong way, Replaced Carter, Replaced Carter Protector
Day H - Aligned Tyre Geometry
Day O - Engine Refurbishing.

c) Sales
From Dealers: "Big Golf sales, day 14/SEP/06" 40% OFF.
User to User: Auctions, meeting in negotiation rooms.

wow..

I have to say that I like that idea. It may be a little cumbersome for PD though. They would need to come up with some kind of VIN system. Maybe numbers the cars 00001-10000 or something like that. They could even stagger the amount of cars by rarity....Honda Civic could be 00001-100000 and a Mercedes SLR 00001-01000 (only 1000 units - it is a limited production car irl)

The problems I see with this system would be:
1. People hoarding cars
2. People hoarding and then selling cars way above market value
- maybe there could be a limit on cars like in GT4...price determined by mileage...
3. last and most importantly....how do you placate the folks who want to keep all of their cars? If they want to keep them, you cannot force them to sell them. How would everyone get the cars they need to complete races and series?

All in all though, I think the idea is fantastic!

Another problem with including all of these ideas is time:

It'll take too long for them to start doing this now (unless they planned it already) and we probably won't see this idea until GT6 if they don't put it in GT5.

It'll be a miracle if they did! 👍

Ebiggs
Ripping off newbies? :lol:

Good point, i rekon they should automatically set the price of the car for sale, rather than everyone making up their own rediculous prices.

I dont want to pay some geek 70,000 credits just for a car worth 10,000 credits brand new!

You mean totally individual cars? Great!
It would be magnificent if this actually would happen. Not very possible, sadly.
I read another thread here, a guy suggested rust,matte paint, etc. on used cars, by age. Nothing on a nearly new NSX, on a 91 NSX, a bit rust here and there, etc.
Just think about the possibilities, the oppertunities, how magnificent it would be *dreaming*.

Another thing. I think you make money too fast on GT4. I would like to be "stuck" with the same car for a bit longer. No real racer has got 400 cars to choose from in his garage.

I also think it possibly could be a "signing up" system, for Le Mans, Formula series, Rallies, etc. You don't own the cars, you are just working for Audi, Pescarolo, Bentley, etc.

Bit off topic there, sorry. But just imagine how fantastic it would be! :)

jimihemmy
wow..

I have to say that I like that idea. It may be a little cumbersome for PD though. They would need to come up with some kind of VIN system. Maybe numbers the cars 00001-10000 or something like that. They could even stagger the amount of cars by rarity....Honda Civic could be 00001-100000 and a Mercedes SLR 00001-01000 (only 1000 units - it is a limited production car irl)

The problems I see with this system would be:
1. People hoarding cars
2. People hoarding and then selling cars way above market value
- maybe there could be a limit on cars like in GT4...price determined by mileage...
3. last and most importantly....how do you placate the folks who want to keep all of their cars? If they want to keep them, you cannot force them to sell them. How would everyone get the cars they need to complete races and series?

All in all though, I think the idea is fantastic!

Yes, my idea has a few steps backwards, but enough steps forward if you know what I mean, yea people may try to keep some of the cars, thats a problem, I wouldn't know how to resolve, perhaps renting options, or leasing of very rare cars. Example leasing of a Ferrari Enzo, leases won't be exaggerated, minimal amount of months, hmm lets see and after the leaser ends his contract with the car, the car won't be available for his use after a year or so perhaps something similar, but we have to work around the clock now.

A couple of things to help make people not keep the rare + expensive cars are things like tax and insurance.

I dont think these will be in the game but it may make people give up the cars because of the cost, so others can buy the car and use it for a short amount of time.

If you think it's a little silly because most people won't be able to afford one anyway, then again these 'luxury' cars are for people who have worked hard.

Take the Aston DBR9 and DBRS9:

There are only 12 DBR9's made so it'll either be too expencive to keep for too long or there'll be a 'contract' of some sort so they have to give it up anyway...

The DBRS9 is to be 'built to order', and if they include it in GT5 then there shouldn't be a problem of people 'hoarding' them because there could be tens of thousands of them made:drool: . But it's still for the people who have worked hard because it wouldn't come cheap.

Why i say for people who have 'worked hard' is because someone could figure out a way to get the money in a few in-game days (starting off from day 1)and get these 'limited' cars before people who have spent alot of time getting the money. Maybe these kind of cars should be bought with people who eg, have the money and X amount of races in the british cup/aston martin trophy, etc...

Still alot of work to make this feature a reality though...

The whole "user can't keep the rare car" thing won't work.

It'll piss off way too many people to learn they can't keep the car they worked their ass off to get.

*McLaren*
The whole "user can't keep the rare car" thing won't work.

It'll piss off way too many people to learn they can't keep the car they worked their ass off to get.

Like i said:

'Still a lot of work to make this feature a reality though...'

and i doubt that 'individual' and 'limited' cars would be a part off GT5, i was merely making a suggestion if there were limited cars to buy on GT5, and come to think of it, i don't think there should be any limits to the amount of cars...

But it'll still be interesting to see some realistic features such as insurance and stuff - but they need to do it so it isn't a pain in the ass to keep the money up for stuff like insurance and if they had already thought of this idea but couldn't come up with a way to make it interesting/fun, then we won't see this idea in GT5.

I still think that each car being individual is a good idea though...

Many games have "rares," or rare items which aren't totally unique necessarily, but very hard to come by. There are evidently a handful of unpainted black cars in GT4 which pop up rarely. Polyphony could do something similar in GT5 with special cars, and may well have, since we have the "blacks" in GT4.

McLaren is right about making it difficult to keep a car. It's just too complicated and unfair, and really unnecessary. Just making special cars a rarity or very hard to come by would be the way to go.

Like I say, I do like the idea of cars so unique that they have their own serial numbers, and it would be outstanding if Polyphony did it first.

Tenacious D
Many games have "rares," or rare items which aren't totally unique necessarily, but very hard to come by. There are evidently a handful of unpainted black cars in GT4 which pop up rarely. Polyphony could do something similar in GT5 with special cars, and may well have, since we have the "blacks" in GT4.

McLaren is right about making it difficult to keep a car. It's just too complicated and unfair, and really unnecessary. Just making special cars a rarity or very hard to come by would be the way to go.

Like I say, I do like the idea of cars so unique that they have their own serial numbers, and it would be outstanding if Polyphony did it first.

I second that on serial numbers! 👍

Back