Earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 279 comments
Coincidence?

Yes. Some quakes are related to others on the same plate range but there are about 50 recorded "earthquakes" a day and an earthquake of over 7 occurs roughly every 3 days weeks.

Source.

EDIT: @Famine, thank you for the correction... I looked directly at the number in the above source and then completely misquoted it :D

Last edited:
I forgot about the volcano in Chili too. The planet seems to be quite restless right now.
No more so than usual - though I think @TenEightyOne might like to change "days" for "weeks", as we've averaged about 18 a year for the last decade or so.

High frequency earthquakes could certainly conjure an interesting conspiracy theory. Anyone remember that US military research project in Alaska called HAARP?

haarp-1.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/weir...ries-abound-u-s-military-closes-haarp-n112576

Imagine what they could do in a warmer climate with a bigger budget, half a world away from the prying eyes of US media sponsored conspiracy theorists.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

Screenshot_5.jpg

So perhaps the question should be about how news programming is organised in any given period?
Or the effect of a continuous 24 hour stream of news from around the world at our fingertips and how it affects our perception of the frequency and intensity of events? Sort of like how you now are media blasted about every murder that has the slightest hint of titillation or cause du jour surrounding it, causing many American for example, to think violent crime is rampant and on the increase?

ldah6rdp6ukvngoyqi1fcg.gif

I saw a comment highlighting that this was the worst earthquake to hit Nepal in xx years and was only a couple or so after fracking was introduced in the region. I know next to nothing on the science but is there a credible link between fracking and earthquakes?

I forgot about the volcano in Chili too. The planet seems to be quite restless right now.
It is indeed a curious coincidence that today's massive Nepal earthquake is almost exactly antipodal to the massive Calbuco volcanic eruption of Wednesday in Chile.

A few day ago I made this post which predicted a higher probability of massive earthquakes based on whale beaching and unsettled space weather:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/space-in-general.216213/page-39#post-10618911

"Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been". - John Greenleaf Whittier

"The happiest words are: 'I told you so". - Gore Vidal

.....My thoughts are with 1000+ lives that are lost, and no doubt countless more trapped in the rubble.

That old adage of "no news is the best one" rings kinda true, what with coverages of such devastation so readily available, and making me want to take up a religion!!!!

Edit: make that near 2000. Holy moly. Where's a god when you need one.

Last edited:
I saw a comment highlighting that this was the worst earthquake to hit Nepal in xx years and was only a couple or so after fracking was introduced in the region. I know next to nothing on the science but is there a credible link between fracking and earthquakes?
No, but there is for other things like flammable tap water.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/24/earthquakes-fracking-drilling-us-geological-survey
http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/tag/earthquake/

usgs
Hydraulic fracturing, commonly known as “fracking,” does not appear to be linked to the increased rate of magnitude 3 and larger earthquakes.

Although wastewater injection has not yet been linked to large earthquakes (M6+), scientists cannot eliminate the possibility.

usgs
Evidence from some case histories suggests that the magnitude of the largest earthquake tends to increase as the total volume of injected wastewater increases. Injection pressure and rate of injection may also be factors. More research is needed to determine answers to these important questions.

There is some evidence, albeit not a lot, to suggest that there may be a link. However, having lived in a US state where fracking is very much alive (Pennsylvania), I'm totally opposed to fracking. The oil companies refuse to disclose the chemicals used, despite tests showing carcinogens in the drinking water near fracking sites. And the fact that many people can now set their tap water on fire is a bit alarming. Even my great uncle, who worked as a petroleum geologist for over 60 years, says fracking is the scariest thing he's ever seen. Whether it causes earthquakes or not, fracking is :censored:ing awful and should be outlawed everywhere.

From today's edition of NASA's SpaceWeather.com

VOLCANIC BULLS-EYE:
When Chile's Calbuco volcano erupted on April 22nd, plumes of ash and volcanic gas shot more than 50,000 ft above Earth's surface. Orbiting overhead in the darkness of space, the NOAA/NASA Suomi NPP satellite observed the ripple effect of the blast. Night had fallen over the volcano during the early hours of April 23rd when a low-light camera on the satellite photographed a "bulls-eye" pattern of waves centered on the rising plume:

Ripples like these have been observed before, high above powerful thunderstorms. They are called "gravity waves"--essentially, waves of pressure and temperature excited by the upward motion of air. (Gravity does not vary inside the waves; the waves get their name from the fact that gravity acts as a vertical restoring force that tries to restore equilibrium to up-and-down moving air.)

The waves are visible because they glow. Readers of spaceweather.com haveseen the phenomenon before--it's called "airglow." Airglow is caused by an assortment of chemical reactions in the upper atmosphere driven mainly by solar ultraviolet radiation. Gravity waves rippling away from the central axis of a thunderstorm or, in this case, a volcano, cause temperature and density perturbations in the upper atmosphere. Those perturbations alter the chemical reaction rates of airglow, leading to more-bright or less-bright bands depending on whether the rates are boosted or diminished, respectively.

Airglow occurs about 100 km above Earth's surface alongside meteors, noctilucent clouds and even some auroras. This makes airglow--and the bullseye above Calbuco--a true space weather phenomenon.

Ripples like these have been observed before, high above powerful thunderstorms. They are called "gravity waves"--essentially, waves of pressure and temperature excited by the upward motion of air. (Gravity does not vary inside the waves; the waves get their name from the fact that gravity acts as a vertical restoring force that tries to restore equilibrium to up-and-down moving air.)

Brilliant picture! :embarrassed:

"Gravity waves" seems a bit high falutin' though... really that describes waves acting on media, doesn't it? The ground ripples in that shape and that movement is transferred to the medium immediately adjacent and so on. If those clouds are only 50 miles high then they're not in space, they're still within the area of atmospheric action where one might expect to observe a ground-effect travelling through the medium.

....3000 souls lost and counting.

.......🤬

Seconded :(

The number is ready over 3700. And they expect it to rise to at least 5000.

So much devastation.

I can't find where I found it, but someone here on GTP predicted that there would be either a tsunami, earthquake, or some other massive natural disaster from the recent solar flare...

Just saying, some people were doubting him but what if that's true? Something that messes with the Earth's magnetic fields..

I have to rant, and this may or may not be the right place but this straight ticked me off.

So the Science Channel posted a link to an earthquake relief donation page, and naturally I liked what I saw so I clicked the "like" button. The first two comments to pop up, the very first things I saw, was people saying "Prayers to the families". Blah, Blah. How 🤬 ironic. I really cannot stand it when I see this kind of thing, and yes that is me giving them a piece of my mind.

Unbelievable.

donate.png

I have to rant, and this may or may not be the right place but this straight ticked me off.

So the Science Channel posted a link to an earthquake relief donation page, and naturally I liked what I saw so I clicked the "like" button. The first two comments to pop up, the very first things I saw, was people saying "Prayers to the families". Blah, Blah. How 🤬 ironic. I really cannot stand it when I see this kind of thing, and yes that is me giving them a piece of my mind.
Unbelievable.
View attachment 355645
Wow you really showed them!

/sarcasm

Back