Earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 279 comments
So New Zealand is getting quite the shaking.
7.3 earthquake
900 km north a 7.4
Now an 8.1
Tsunami watch for Hawaii.

Apparently Iceland is getting quite the rumbling too, they're expecting a volcano to go plop any time now.

So New Zealand is getting quite the shaking.
7.3 earthquake
900 km north a 7.4
Now an 8.1
Tsunami watch for Hawaii.

Yeah, I haven't felt any shakes myself here in Auckland but basically there are several areas issued with urgent (Tsunami) warnings now and being told to evacuate to higher ground immediately.

Last edited:
Apparently Iceland is getting quite the rumbling too, they're expecting a volcano to go plop any time now.

That sounds quite cute. And not that dangerous. What sort of disruption could a plopping Icelandic volcano possibly cause?

Actually, are there any flights any more?

Yeah, I haven't felt any shakes myself here in Auckland but basically there are several areas issued with urgent (Tsunami) warnings now and being told to evacuate to higher ground immediately.

Felt it in Taupo, she was a beauty.
I'm in Auckland and was surprised that it woke me up. I usually sleep through or don't notice any quakes. Had to delete so many duplicate posts on r/NZ half-two in the morning :lol:.

ohhhh, that shook bad.

I was playing GTA Online, and I can just feel a slight rumbling as I sat on the bed. I thought oh...a small quake. But it kept rumbling...and rumbling.

THEN FRACKING SHAKING BAD. I was about out the door of my apartment for real. I called mom to see if she's ok. She said the light pole by her building was swaying bad

6.1 earthquake located around Sutton, Alaska

191819553_10159459341760953_7296370406213162844_n.jpg

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/05/31/large-earthquake-shakes-southcentral-alaska/

WJ3BZ6YYAJCVPKG34VTT7UQY5I.png

Last edited:
Yellowstone has been rattled by a swarm of quakes, much larger in magnitude than usual, mostly centered under the lake, according to this report:
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article252835908.html

Since that report was published, I believe there have been many more, including a magnitude 3.6. Reportedly, the temperature of the lake has recently doubled, and the magma pushing up from a few miles down is responsible for the quakes.

I've taken the liberty of changing the thread title to make it a bit broader and more generally about seismic activity and their consequences.

-

The Cumbre Vieja volcano on the island of La Palma in the Canaries is currently erupting, and this volcano has been the subject of several studies as it poses a risk of generating a megatsunami that could devastate vast coastal regions with massive waves, particularly in the other Canary Islands (where wave heights could be as high as 2000 ft) and the coast of Africa (where waves could still be hundreds of feet high). A landslide created by the collapse of the volcano could also potentially impact the Western seaboard of the USA, as well as Europe, though this scenario is believed to be extremely unlikely:

where wave heights could be as high as 2000 ft
I can't even comprehend a wall of water this high. I mean the tallest structure I've been in is the CN Tower in Toronto and that wall of water is still 200ft higher than that.

IMHO is quite possible that the volcanic eruption has actually eased the pressure on the fault that, if released, could cause the feared giant tsunami. I believe there is evidence that tsunamis of such height have occurred in the prehistoric past.

I believe there is evidence that tsunamis of such height have occurred in the prehistoric past.
Wasn't there that tsunami in Alaska back in the '50s that was some absurd height? I don't think it was 2,000ft+, but I seem to recall it was at least over 1,500ft.

Wasn't there that tsunami in Alaska back in the '50s that was some absurd height? I don't think it was 2,000ft+, but I seem to recall it was at least over 1,500ft.
Yeah, I think that was in the 60's. There was a quake and a tsunami, and when it ran into a fjord in Alaska, the narrow passage magnified the height of the tsunami to over 1000', if I recall correctly. I vaguely remember some lucky soul rode the thing out in a row boat. Imagine being on the crest of a 1000' wave and surviving!!

Last edited:
That was confined into a very narrow area. Unless the entire island collapses into the sea I'm really struggling to see how you can get a tsunami more than 5-10 metres in height in open water.

That was confined into a very narrow area. Unless the entire island collapses into the sea I'm really struggling to see how you can get a tsunami more than 5-10 metres in height in open water.
If I recall correctly, there is a fault line running through the island such that if it gives way, about half the island slides into the deep.

Last edited:

A massive underwater volcano in Tonga has erupted, audible in New Zealand and triggering tsunami alerts across the region.

The plume was captured by various satellites, but the above gifs shows the enormous scale of it... you know it's big when you can add the comment 'Australia shown for scale' :ill:

Last edited:
I have seen mainstream news stories that say the Tonga eruption could actually cause the Earth to cool for a few years, reversing the general annual warming.

See the graph they show at about 3:03

Their chart goes back to Krakatau in 1880. But in 1815 there was Tambora, "The Year Without a Summer".

Last edited:
I have seen mainstream news stories that say the Tonga eruption could actually cause the Earth to cool for a few years, reversing the general annual warming.

See the graph they show at about 3:03

Their chart goes back to Krakatau in 1880. But in 1815 there was Tambora, "The Year Without a Summer".

Erm, pretty sure your timestamp is off but I'm glad I just learned that pasta straws are a thing! Makes a lot of sense.

7.3 off the coast at Fukushima about an hour ago.

GT section goes in full panic mode again.

Thankfully, it's nowhere near the magnitude of the 2011 earthquake. Still, it's like the universe ran out of ideas on how to screw with the 2020 decade so it's resorting to remakes.

Back