Recovering a Windows 8 PC without a recovery disc?

Racing_Miku

The queen of Inazuma has arrived at last!
Premium
Scotland
Dundee, Scotland
Looking to get some advice on an issue I am trying to solve for a friend of mines PC because I am not sure the best way to resolve the problem so I thought I would ask here in case someone is able to offer advice/help!

Before COVID-19 and lock down restrictions came into effect my friend asked me to come have a look at his PC as he wasn't able to check/send emails so I thought it would be a straightforward issue to resolve.

When I visited to check his PC I discovered the issue was that it was not booting Windows 8 at all so my initial thoughts were it must be a connection cable problem or issue within the internal connectors for the PC so I looked inside the base unit and checked all connections and all seems ok there but it still failed to boot and I tried using F8 to boot in safe mode but as that's an issue with Windows 8 sometimes it didn't resolve the issue.

So I guess the solution is to create a recovery drive and boot the machine from that and this is the main reason I need some assistance as I had never created one for his PC before this issue.

My own personal PC and Surface Pro both run Windows 10 so I am concluding that if I make a recovery drive it won't work with Windows 8 since it will be trying to recover a Windows 10 operating system?

If anyone can advise the best way I can make a recovery disc for a Windows 8 system please reply, the other solution I am thinking but don't know if this is possible if I can do a Windows 10 install on the machine which I would have to probably purchase and then use that disc when starting up the machine to begin the install process so that I can then get the machine back up and running!

Thank you for any help in advance!

Rallywagon

what a long strange trip
Premium
United States
Michigan
Rallywgn81
You would want to make a USB boot drive to reinstall windows, lots of resources for that can be found googling "windows USB boot drive. "
However, what is the state of the machine when booting? Does it pass POST? Is it able to get into bios? Is the hard drive functioning?

Last edited:

TenEightyOne

I'm Slow, But I'm Wide!
Premium
TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
You could also try mounting his drive as an external or internal drive in your own PC, if you need to back up data. If you can do a backup (or even better a full image of the disk) then it gives you more options along the way... including scrubbing the drive and performing a clean install.