Recovering from a crash - do you also lose THAT much time?

Only if you don't follow you're own thread.

There is a reason you can't catch up, which is what this conversation is about. You'd probably be able to catch up in a games that reflects true racing more.

There is a reason you can't catch up, which is what this conversation is about. You'd probably be able to catch up in a games that reflects true racing more.

Absolutely right, in fact I was watching a race awhile back and I swear the driver in 5th caused the driver in 3rd and 4th to crash into each other, I think he threw a shell at them or something - it was wild!

ok now you're definitely trolling. In real races if you wreck your either dead or done for the day
Absolutely right, in fact I was watching a race awhile back and I swear the driver in 5th caused the driver in 3rd and 4th to crash into each other, I think he threw a shell at them or something - it was wild!
It was a banana, i watched that one

We would have floor and suspension damage if it were more like real life. Then, I’d crawl back to the pits, where I’d watch the rest of the race.

I am not sure if I tend to make more mistakes than everyone else or my mistakes are just worse than others.
But whenever I make a single larger mistake in a race I pretty much end at the bottom of the field.
Maybe in the A/S class others really don't make any mistakes, but somehow I have a feeling that I am losing an excessive amount of time whenever I make a larger mistake.
For example I did a FIA race a few days ago. I made a rather big mistake, and obviously you lose time when doing such a mistake.
But I analyzed the replay and ultimately the mistake cost me 24 seconds and this seems too much. And I can't believe that NONE of the other 19 drivers has done ANY big mistake in a 12 lap race.

I have never competed in a Nations Cup race or Manufacturers Cup race, are they any more difficult than daily races?? I was thinking about doing the Manufacturers Cup race tonight.

I acknowledge that some things are tougher to represent, and I acknowledge this game is trying to appeal to a particular mass consumption level too. I get that there are some race modes that allow for more customization too. But I thought that your sort of standing in daily modes, ranking, all that sportsmanship stuff was going to add up to more. And just to bring it back to the main point, I think, it's crazy maybe, but I think that people would really gravitate to realistic crashes (not ghosting) as you rank up more. Especially if you kept the penalties in for bad play like they are at this point.

One thing I will say too, is that I think there should be some race modes where manual shifting, and no auto braking and steering are enforced. That too would do a lot to making racers have to deal with somewhat more realistic racing, and allow for catch ups in daily races. Maybe not all modes, but one of those 3 daily modes should. Unless I am missing something in that, but I didn't see any of that enforced.

Im actually kind of curious as to what you think the game does that prevents you from catching up after a crash:confused:

you keep saying that a more accurate sim would enable you to catch back up but then go on to say that real damage should be enabled... they seem contradictory

That's sort of taking the reverse of what I'm saying, John.

If you have racers at E and D levels, there should be something other than going up just one spot in nearly every race. A lead car is going to crash. Or run into traffic. He's not going to get a pass with some fax autobraking, or auto steering mechanism. Crashes happen, the clean racers advance. That's how it should be. Not someone ghosting through a car because they really don't have to care if it is there.

The OP would be able to catch up if he raced clean. If he crashed, oh well. The question here isn't should you get a big penalty after a crash, the obvious answer is yes. The question is why can't you catch up to someone after they crash? That's insane.

If you have racers at E and D levels, there should be something other than going up just one spot in nearly every race. A lead car is going to crash. Or run into traffic. He's not going to get a pass with some fax autobraking, or auto steering mechanism. Crashes happen, the clean racers advance. That's how it should be. Not someone ghosting through a car because they really don't have to care if it is there.

The OP would be able to catch up if he raced clean. If he crashed, oh well. The question here isn't should you get a big penalty after a crash, the obvious answer is yes. The question is why can't you catch up to someone after they crash? That's insane.

Because other people didn’t? If I loose time and they don’t... I won’t catch up.

Like Stanley said (the Office):
I’m Ok with the logic of it.

Oh, so you're blaming your failure to catch up on others use of assists? I mean, if you watch thee replays you can see exactly which assists they were using (if any at all) and whether or not they made mistakes. It sounds to me like you're upset others are able to keep a tidy race when you arent. People are ALOT better than AI and they are much more difficult to beat becuase of it. I have never got a win in sport mode where I had a major wreck, you have to be pretty perfect to beat most people. Its hard

I guess. I wasn't looking for that Nando, is all I'm saying. I don't like it when I see the leaders ram into the cars in front of them, because they know they are going to pass through them. It's happened too many times to count.

John I have to stop talking to you because you are insistent on taking the opposite of what I'm saying intentionally, rather than trying to engage. Sorry.

I guess. I wasn't looking for that Nando, is all I'm saying. I don't like it when I see the leaders ram into the cars in front of them, because they know they are going to pass through them. It's happened too many times to count.

Wait. What did you see?

@nando. I've been in a ton of races where I have seen cars take the lead by simply passing through the car in front of them, after ramming them from behind. Because they're not going to crash, they don't care about the sportsmanship penalty, and they take the line they want regardless of the vehicle in front of them. *shrug*

I am not sure if I tend to make more mistakes than everyone else or my mistakes are just worse than others.
But whenever I make a single larger mistake in a race I pretty much end at the bottom of the field.
Maybe in the A/S class others really don't make any mistakes, but somehow I have a feeling that I am losing an excessive amount of time whenever I make a larger mistake.
For example I did a FIA race a few days ago. I made a rather big mistake, and obviously you lose time when doing such a mistake.
But I analyzed the replay and ultimately the mistake cost me 24 seconds and this seems too much. And I can't believe that NONE of the other 19 drivers has done ANY big mistake in a 12 lap race.

I am going to guess you lost your 20 seconds because you were stuck in that quicksand like sand trap. The reason you lost so many positions is just that the field was close, I dont see where you could have done anything different in that situation. Nice laps you were running, do you use a wheel????

@KelRiever Ghosting is much less prevalent when you rank up. It's set to high in Dr D. Above that cars ghost if the are travelling excessively slowly, or they are being lapped (unfortunately the were problems with lapped cars intentionally taking out the leaders).

There are pages of people arguing about assists on here. You're not alone in seeking to have races without them. For the most part, using assists will make you slower. That's the handicap for using them.

Im not trying to be a dick but are you reading what you write?? In real life guys that crash or spin off do not catch up to the cars ahead. Guys are looking to gain a couple tenths of a second per lap, where are they supposed to find 20 seconds over a few laps because of a spin or off road excursion? In road racing crashes are not common place, sure it happens but I dont think to the point where competitors expect to pick up spots in a short race. Just this morning I picked up 14 spots and 8 spots (minimum, it could have been 9) All I did was not wreck a run laps about 1 second off of fast time. I cant say I agree with you about finishing races in my starting spot. Im B/S and race with drivers of similar rank.

I am afraid the OP probably spends too much time with GTS's excremental AI. Perhaps he isn't aware how much rubber-banding happens when you lose time offline..?

I am afraid REAL players don't wait for you to catch up. The AI does. :rolleyes:

@fastone, I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. I am saying exactly that. If a person crashes, they should not get to catch up, I'm sorry. But ghosting prevents this, the unrealistic way you shoot off the road and come right back like all you did was go over some slightly rough pavement sometimes, that's what I'm talking about. People in GT pass through cars, no problem, hit walls, no problem, run off the track, no problem, and stay within their position, maybe lose one maybe gain one. If you're, 6th, 14th, 20th, the guy 5 cars ahead of you wrecking should not still be 5 cars ahead of you, or only 4 cars ahead of you.

Anyway, I don't know how else to explain it. I pretty much came to my conclusion, and like the OP said, his thread is about his tips and his race so go for it.

@fastone, I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. I am saying exactly that. If a person crashes, they should not get to catch up, I'm sorry. But ghosting prevents this, the unrealistic way you shoot off the road and come right back like all you did was go over some slightly rough pavement sometimes, that's what I'm talking about. People in GT pass through cars, no problem, hit walls, no problem, run off the track, no problem, and stay within their position, maybe lose one maybe gain one. If you're, 6th, 14th, 20th, the guy 5 cars ahead of you wrecking should not still be 5 cars ahead of you, or only 4 cars ahead of you.

Anyway, I don't know how else to explain it. I pretty much came to my conclusion, and like the OP said, his thread is about his tips and his race so go for it.

You were complaining about not being able to catch up, now you're complaining about being able to catch up.
I'm sorry, I'm lost.

No, I must have said something wrong, its not about being able to catch up or not catch up. Its about being pinned to your placement. So you can't catch racers ahead because when they crash it doesn't matter. Nor will you lose your position because when you crash does it hurt you really.

crash, or unrealistic effects, whatever, I'm saying when you place, that's pretty much where you finish, +1 or -1 slot, in daily's. That's what happens when you have unrealistic racing.

I'm going to try some lobbies. That sounds like the best policy for more realistic races when it comes to GT, so I'll go with John's advice.

Are we playing the same game?
I have a hell of a time getting back on the track after a wreck. Whats your secret? If you could tell us how your wrecks dont hurt your position then you might actually be back on topic with this thread

^ I don't see it, John. When I race, pretty much I don't see a serious effect when I hit a wall. Or when I hit another car. Yes, there's a slowing down but again, like I said, I see people literally aiming down a line and passing through other race cars without issue.

Someone said it changes at higher class levels, which I'm hoping it will. If I go for it that long. Probably with some casual car unlocking it will happen I'll see about it then.

Just to be clear if anyone was in doubt: the point was to see if there are better ways to recover from a crash in the sense of time lost between the start of the crash until you are back to normal racing speed on the track. Any other form of catching up after that is not within the scope of this thread as I do not see the point of that and it is not really related to the crash.

Of course one could argue that the game should be "realistic" and "simulate" the nonsense we have in F1 with lapped cars allowed to lap themselves back if there is a safety car phase. But thankfully we don't have stupid safety cars in GTS (at least none doing a safety car job) and thank god we don't have such an idiotic rule in GTS with lapped cars being allowed to gain a lap for no reason at all.

I see people literally aiming down a line and passing through other race cars without issue
If your talking about lapped cars ghosting when the faster car passes, ok yes that happens.

Sometimes wrecked cars will ghost (but thats a roll of the dice and not worth banking on)

other than that, ive never seen this happen, could you upload a video of this happening?

Adding artificial laps is no way of making anything better!

I could add a video but I think you'll see it in any daily race, where someone just drive through someone on purpose.

You've completed 13 Sport races. Your driver rating is in the GTS equivalent of a training diaper. Yes, the racing is different. Until you can pass the guy in front, you can't pass the guy in front. Nor do you deserve his/her position if you can't do that much. Pass when they crash, overcook it, make a mistake...all good. If you deserve the position you'll keep it. If not, you'll be seeing the same taillights driving past you again. "Git gud", as they say on the interwebs.
So you can't catch racers ahead because when they crash it doesn't matter. Nor will you lose your position because when you crash does it hurt you really.
There is a video of the exact opposite of this happening that literally started this thread. Try harder. Either crashing doesn't matter and the video is a fake or crashing does matter and he will go on to return to his original position (+/-1) by passing a dozen cars.

Tell me, in your vast experiences outside of Gran Turismo Sport, what game has "realistic PVP racing" as you keep saying GTS does not replicate? If you can't name one that does it well 100%, tell me the pieces of games that do it well. Or don't. I'm not sure I care.

@FKAustria1911 Yes, I lose loads of time when I bin it. :crazy: ~25 seconds seems about right for a major crash/spin like yours was. There's no quick way of getting back on the tarmac that I've found other than never using 1st on the grass. :) Even then you're dealing with the weird transmission engagement when you're stopped or barely moving. Feels like I'm riding the clutch or something. :yuck: I don't do much outside the FIA races, where they have not reset my car ever that I recall, but I imagine it could happen in lower DR/SR rankings in other daily races where the ghosting is also more aggressive. As @BallPtPenTheif pointed out, you can some times make it back past the "Mad Max" group if you don't end up as collateral damage but realistically not much further up the totem pole than that, depending on length of the race and when you crash. Disappointing when it happens but that's just sort of how it is. Dust off and get the next one.

Back