Reefer Madness! Saturday Classic Racing 10pm GMTOpen 

• Thread starter reefer
  • 510 comments
The second race should be reverse grid

Yeah, that would really throw the moggy amongst the pigeons. Let's mix it up unless there's any opposition to it?

I should also add that's it's no problem if anyone has a different opinion or doesn't think the ideas being banded about are for them! I'd like to hear all views/opinions. I'm not planning on making any other big changes in the series. I guess I'm treating the Nurb as a special case and looking for your ideas on how to make it better.

My first impressions when reading bbb's 'reverse grid' idea were that it wouldn't be fair for the Championship but then I remembered, we're here to have fun. It's a casual racing series and shouldn't be all about the trophy, trophy, trophy! The Nurb is narrow and will require a good blend of awareness and skill in order not to go off when being overtaken or overtaking.

Quali will be a straightforward 10 minutes this time.

Onie ideas, different thooghts/opinions, dornt keep them tae yerself!

Last edited:
My opinion is, this is going to be a tough pair of races. :D

I'm handicapping myself by only using cars I've not used, but there are four cars I don't have to use, so I still have options. I've binned off both the Audi and the RUF though, tyre wear is too bad for a 7 lapper, and they're just not fast enough for a 1 lapper.

I haven't tried the Esprit to set a Benchmark, I suspect it's capable of a sub 7m30 lap, it just takes too long to set a car up. I'm on par with Reefer with both my choices, so this is going to be fun.

Me, I'm just hoping to complete the race and also not to get lapped!
Joe, how long were you planing on setting the race finish delay to catch us stragglers?

I'm sticking with the Stratos. It's a bit of a tyre eater but it's fun - and it looks good.

What do you suggest mate?
That's a good question!
It would be a shame to end the race prematurely for drivers who may be battling towards the rear but the winners might not want to be waiting too long. Perhaps 5 minutes maybe sufficient. It might not be needed but a few spins and/or an extra pitstop add up.
Not sure what the others think.

I think the game records the current on track positions as the finishing results when the timer ends anyway.

Paul, I think the Race Finish Delay is maxed out at 180 seconds.

It will be an early morning race to get a bit of light variation, probably around 6am (so not pitch black), with the Time Progression set to about 2. No weather.

At 2:25 the open-top Beetle and its passengers were soo lucky to get away with not crashing in this clip. (turn your volume down - terrible music)

Last edited:
Paul, I think the Race Finish Delay is maxed out at 180 seconds
Oh well that'll be it then. ;)

around 6am (so not pitch black),
Righty oh. I might fit the extra lights to the Stratos to see if they work (and help).

It does however remind me of pretty much every lap I've ever attempted at the ring
Same here! Now if GT had those damage physics we'd both be in trouble.

What did they do with all those damaged cars? Perhaps there's a scrap yard near by that was doing a roaring trade.

What did they do with all those damaged cars? Perhaps there's a scrap yard near by that was doing a roaring trade.

First thing they did was stick them on a Hiab and get them off the circuit. Then they charge you for it. Recovery off the 'ring costs a lot of money and only the venue's trucks are allowed to recover. Whatever you do, don't bend an armco, those things are an arm and a leg.

not crashing in this clip.
That's some serious trauma going on in that clip. Obviously clunk click every trip had a whole different meaning at that time!:odd::dunce:
I suspect it's capable of a sub 7m30 lap
Ok. You guys are all aliens :bowdown::eek: as I've just tried 5 different cars and I can't get under 8.10 per lap. :scared:Not helped by fact that I always spin out at least once.
I'm going to use the Datsun fair lady in amaranth metallic. But I might jump in the RUF for the single lap which should include a spin every few corners so that's at least 80 pirouettes! :dopey::drool:
Hopefully join before you start racing tonight.
:cheers:

You guys are all aliens :bowdown::eek: as I've just tried 5 different cars and I can't get under 8.10 per lap
Hello there fellow terrestrial, I also struggle with going below 8:10. You have restored my hope that I will have someone to race with :)

A spin is ten seconds. Then you're just ten seconds away from close enough. Don't spin!

Nur is very sensitive to setup and transmission ratios. You can't use a setup like my quoted Europa/Esprit setups here, a car which is stiff in roll is sensitive to steering input. That's great on an uncambered, smooth track, and awful at the 'ring.

You want softish spring rates, keep the balance of your ARBs the same, but knock them down to threes and fours, and your dampers down to six-to-eights. You want to set your ARBs based on medium speed corners. If the car feels good in Flugplatz then you're halfway there. These cars on SS tyres should be capable of 120mph-minimum through Flugplatz on 10/9-wear tyres. You won't do it every lap, but you have to aim for it with a nice, smooth entry, barely touching the right kerb, using ALL the road on the left and getting out safely without lifting. Hit a kerb hard, go too far left or get nervous on the exit and you're toast.

Incidentally, 120mph should be approaching the top of fourth gear. Peak power revs (look it up in garage) should be 130-132mph in fourth with the limiter no less than 135. Top should let you get up to 167-170mph, more is useful if you're expecting a bit of draughting action, but don't compromise because of it. Cars like the late-model Skyline are good in this circumstance because they have rev range but don't make useful power up there, so you can draught without bouncing the limiter.

The car needs to be stable under brakes, but turn-in just enough. Five points on the LSD Decel with no other changes can turn a car from a dull pain in the ass to a perfectly balanced apex hunter. You want to turn up the front brakes until the tyres are melting on a long stop, then turn it down a notch, setup LSD Sensitivity to 8, LSD Decel to 45, then turn up the rear brakes until the car begins to rotate too much on corner entry. At this point you can either turn rear brakes down a notch, or increase the LSD Decel slowly until the car is doing what you want on entry.

LSD Accel should be minimum. Start at 5, up it if you're getting single wheel peel-outs out of bends. Don't keep going once you've fixed this. Having a car dancing out of the bends is fine on Silverstone, but not at the 'ring.

More guide speeds - you should be doing 158-160 as you go over the crest at Antoniusbuche adding a bit more speed on the other side. You should be over 150mph before lifting/braking for Schwedenkreuz. A fast car will be touching *133-135mph before Mutkurve, and if you're ballsy, you might do 115+ through it. I don't, I'm always chicken, I'm lucky to maintain more than 112 through there.

And don't spin! :D

EDIT: I just opened a club lobby for setup testing. Cor, 6am is dark, innit?
* = was 140. Bit optimistic. Top of fourth is set partially for this.

Last edited:
Is there room for a new entrant tonight?
Hey, another fast guy. :)

Reefer is probably asleep now (Japan) so won't see your post until he gets up to race. So I'll take the liberty of saying I reckon there'll be a space available for you. Best to come and have a look - It's run in the community club #1042717 👍

You have restored my hope that I will have someone to race with
I think I shall also be there with you fellow earthling.

Hey, another fast guy. :)

Reefer is probably asleep now (Japan) so won't see your post until he gets up to race. So I'll take the liberty of saying I reckon there'll be a space available for you. Best to come and have a look - It's run in the community club #1042717 👍

I think I shall also be there with you fellow earthling.

Not quite so fast :embarrassed:

Thanks for having me. I'm currently doing my first laps in almost a year in Venari's lobby, and I doubt I'll be under the 7m45s mark in the Hakosuka tonight.

Are the regs/timetable etc all decided? I noticed their may be some changes from the OP

Did a race run yesterday. Best lap was 7.54. All other laps were in the 8 minute bracket, this included 2 pit stops. I'd lost the will to live near the end but continued anyway. Think the total race time was around 54 minutes!

Seems like there'll be a few of us battling for last:crazy:

Malc, no reg changes. 450 pp sports soft, pick a car, you're in the thick of it :cool:

Paul, I think the Race Finish Delay is maxed out at 180 seconds.

It will be an early morning race to get a bit of light variation, probably around 6am (so not pitch black), with the Time Progression set to about 2. No weather.

At 2:25 the open-top Beetle and its passengers were soo lucky to get away with not crashing in this clip. (turn your volume down - terrible music)

Ouch!! Brutal stuff. a lot of "Pride and Joys" wasted there. The camera peeps knew where to b
Hello there fellow terrestrial, I also struggle with going below 8:10. You have restored my hope that I will have someone to race with :)

Not tried it yet, but I reckon getting sub 9 will be an achievement. Lol

Hi Naut! Go to Communities, join club #1042717. There's a lobby up now for practice with Reefer (joe_kerr) already there. Hell of a dive back into online racing though, these guys ain't too shabby. :D

Thanks @reefer 👍 Do I join via the lobby or the club? I haven't raced in a series since the community update! I've sent an fr in case you need to add me, I'll be ready to join in 20 mins

I had dc between races and was surprised to see me starting from the 1st place. I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to create confusion at the beginning but after some time I decided to slow down and give up few positions.

Good races, if only I was more consistent on the ring :)

Good night of racing everyone, thanks for giving me the bug again :cheers:

I was less than two-tenths off pole :eek: It would've been a great fight at the front with @Venari and @reefer if I could've kept it on the road for longer than 5 mins! Some proper amateur spins from me tonight :ouch: and I capped it off by completely spooning my second pit so I had to come in for a splash-and-dash on lap 6 :dopey: Congrats to blue for pulling off a 1-stop race, I was thinking about it but I would've been all over the place

Good racing. I too made a number of unenforced errors, I consider myself lucky - some of them were very high speed grass-cutting exercises. One-lapper was ruddy good fun though. :D

Good racing. I too made a number of unenforced errors, I consider myself lucky - some of them were very high speed grass-cutting exercises. One-lapper was ruddy good fun though. :D

I think I had just as many spins in the sprint as I did in the whole feature race :lol: How was your quali lap? I thought you'd be a bit further away

No, qualifier was about as good as I got in the Cosmo (last lap of the main race looked like a quick one until the excursion.) I noticed too late into practice (i.e. after I'd dialled in more LSD Decel) that it was too tailhappy at lower speeds. Too much Accel or Initial or both.. so I had to deal with it and I did okay for the most part. The Isuzu was actually quite chuckable, but it wasn't as well balanced wearing its tyres, hence the Cosmo for the main race. (I think I saw one left rear at 6 after lap 2, and the sport medium rears were at 6 after three laps. Otherwise, all 7s when changed/end. I don't risk tyres at the ring, the consequences of a spin are too much to bear.) I could have been quicker in the Esprit or '70 Skyline, maybe, but I've used them already. I'd like to keep swapping cars every race. :)

Back