Reefer Madness! Saturday Classic Racing 10pm GMTOpen 

• Thread starter reefer
  • 510 comments
Yeah it's a saved setting so everything the same. Weird.
Are the weather & time set to zero? Earlier/later, more cloud cover etc, might mean lower track temperatures. Clutching at straws really.

Anyway you shouldn't worry about 1second. I haven't had any practice yet, it could be race over at Eau Rouge! :)

(I might try and get a few laps in this evening. If anyone's around.)

Plus it might not be a noticeable thing and may take some muscle-memory time to bed in any slight differences or idiosyncrasies of the new wheel/pedal set. It's great you have a new toy which I'm sure will only increase your enjoyment!

I ran your Celica tonight for 8 laps. It's easy to drive and felt good throughout. Got 21:47 for the 8 laps with tyre wear down to 6677.

Yeah I really like it Joe. Shows the difference in set ups and driving style. My fronts were 5 and 6, with both rears at 4, but still felt ok at that level. Love to see the little differences like this, and how it translates to lap time and race pace.

Yeah, new wheel is good, paddles are the main benefit, and it is so much quieter!

Tyre wear is pretty adjustable with weight balance. Then again, I smoke the rears a lot!

GT6 seems to think putting more weight over the driven wheels is a good thing and biases PP accordingly. Ignoring this, I like a range from 53/47 to 49/51, depending on drive layout and how hard I can push the front brakes. I use power, weight and balance to optimise to 450PP usually, and sacrifice what I might think is 'a perfect balance' to do so. Some cars don't mind being light on the rear, some hate it, some love it but punish one end on tyres. In the Nurburgring race, I deliberately balanced tyre wear on the Cosmo by shifting weight and brake bias, and adjusting spring rates and ARBs to suit the new balance. It wasn't as fast as a short track/race tune, but it helped me pick a successful tyre strategy.

I'll be attending tomorrow, not sure which cars I'll use but I'll try and get a few set up and pick something to mix the field up 👍 I was thinking of the R30 but it seems everyone is :lol:

Yeah and I spent a bit of time with the celica because it looked like an unpopular choice and now it seems there may be a few of them turning up.

I may not make it anyway, but if I do I will try to actually do a race this time.

:irked:👍

^ That's the first time I've seen a triple monitor setup where they are vertical. Seems odd.
A good brake mod idea though Michael.

I've gotten around to trying a few of my cars now. The Stratos is still my quickest with best times of 2:36/7 offline and 2:38/39 online. I think it's probably best with a wheel since it allows you to feel what it's doing. Tyre wear not too bad surprisingly!

The R8 is good fun but runs out of puff a bit. The Europa is a tadge slow but nicely balanced and decent with its tyres. The Merc was the best on tyres for me, all still on 9 in lap 4!
Couldn't get the Jag to work for me at Spa.

Merc/tyre wear - really? :eek: Cripes, DS3 must *really* kill tyres. I'm down to 6 by end of lap 4. :crazy:

Tyre wear is pretty adjustable with weight balance. Then again, I smoke the rears a lot

Wise words venari. I've moved the weight around a bit and levelled our the tyre wear. Meant some other adjustments but I'm happy with it as a race set up

I've got a few cars half set up but not enough time to fine tune and learn the lap fully so I'll probably be lapping in the 41s/42s. I'll use the Celica for race one and see who's using what for race two :)

Something's come up last minute so I don't think I'm going to make it. If I can I will.

Good luck to all drivers and have fun.

Apologies if I messed anyone up on lap 1 race 2, my wheel is attached to a bit of 2x4 and then clamped to the arms of my chair and one of the clamps flew off :dunce: And I pitted in the first race, thinking everyone would :dopey::lol:

The R30 is really nice, very consistent handling until the tires hit 6, and really good under braking. The wheel debacle cost me 18s but I managed to close the gap through the whole race until I lost another couple of seconds on the last lap, and ended up 15s behind. I'll definitely drive it again next week, hopefully I'll get time to experiment with the setup beforehand

I came into temporary possession of an Xbox one this week so I've been playing forza 6 and nothing else. I was planning on posting some pictures of the Celica at spa in that game but trying to upload screenshots to anything was a 40 minute struggle I never figured out. Stupid Xbox. But anyways I haven't played GT6 since last weekend and was used to forza physics so it took a while to get back into the swing of things. My celica, which again had my usual FR setup, same as the skyline, obviously didn't have the speed of everyone else's tunes so I was left driving as hard as I could the whole first race and ended up with 4 rear tires and just got slower and slower. The 2nd race I felt pretty confident since the Europa didn't wear tires very fast but as soon as I ended up in the lead I knew things wouldn't end well since I never respond well to pressure from behind, I prefer being the chaser, not the chasee. But anyways as soon as my rear tires went to about 8 I completely lost the ability to drive eau rouge and spun out of course, ruining everything for a few people. After I spun I maintained a 10 second gap to the leader, but Joe somehow managed to gain like 8 seconds in the last few laps though. Who knows how.

*Starts 4th*
*15 secons later*
*9th*.
That's how I roll

The first race was terrible for me. It was a wild battle, man vs machine... Machine won by KO. I am not good with MR but at least I have learned a bit to control the Esprit and second race was much better experience to me. In the first race I was scared to drive that car but in the second I felt more confident.

The 2nd race was a lot of fun, like I said I felt confident with the car now but I am still a bit afraid of overtaking/being overtaken because sometimes I don't know how to behave around other cars.

I hope I didn't cause too much trouble for anyone tonight. If I did I apologise and if you find my behaviour wrong, please correct me what I should have done :-)

Thanks everyone for the awesome evening.

@bloodyboyblue how does F6 physics compare to GT6 in your opinion?

Last edited:
I haven't driven that many different cars yet really, but overall the braking is very hard to master and super unforgiving, with abs you have to think about how early you think you should brake for a corner, and then brake earlier than that. I haven't driven without abs yet but I imagine it's similar to GT, IE light and untuned cars are fun to drive but everything else is near impossible. Cornering is fairly similar but cars seem to (mostly) oversteer or understeer when you get on the throttle a lot more, and it's a lot harder to recover from oversteer than it is in GT. I haven't really driven any really fast cars though, the only race cars I've driven are an indycar on an oval and lamborghini super trofeo car at Laguna. If only it had anything like the online community of GT, I might be tempted, since as usual with Forza games the car and track list, graphics, sound, and livery editor are amazing. I mean it must be the first game ever to feature my beloved Subaru BRAT on the car list.

@bloodyboyblue are you using a wheel or controller for Forza? I've been playing it round my mates on a controller, and it's very frustrating lol. I find it ok to control the oversteer and understeer but the throttle is so sensitive that I'm spinning the wheels out of every corner for ages, and trying to use less throttle just makes it understeer :crazy: The traction control is way too strong so that's not a solution either, I'd prefer a 1 to 10 system rather than on or off. It's a pain because I can tell it would be amazing with no assists and a wheel, and like you say the track list, car list, graphics etc are miles above GT. Sebring in the wet is fun! :scared:

I always use a controller, I'm ok with it, obviously I'd be faster with a wheel (as people say anyway, I've never touched one). I probably won't keep the game long enough to use the hypersensitive cars anyway.

Michael/@gerber - you backed out of a couple of good high-speed passes, I'm sure you could have made them stick!

I knew the first race was going to be hard work in the Galant and wasn't expecting better than midfield. To get third on the grid was pleasing, as was seeing my buddy @VEXD on second in the RUF. I had been doing some last minute fine tuning with the GTO, and I realised at the end of quali that I'd screwed up the finely honed first gear takeoff by adjusting the rear springs. Sure enough, the Mitsubishi smoked the tyres on the launch and I was in fourth before La Source with Michael's chrome 'Essex' Esprit overhauling me comprehensively off the line. However, he was very cautious through the hairpin and I got good traction, so the Cosmo, RUF and GTO were away and heading for Eau Rouge. On my screen, VEXD backed out of it and was sideways in front of me (I backed off and there was the barest of contacts) we kept it straight but all I could see after that was smoke as Joe was flailing up ahead of us. We both lost 15mph but all made it safely through, with buybon storming up to pick up the pieces.

At this point, intact but fourth, I decided to just try to keep it tidy. This worked for about two corners and I mucked up Fagnes and Stavelot in turn, letting blue and Malcolm/Glenn through. I managed to recover a place on Malcolm at La Source, although my Vettel line through Eau Rouge could be classed as 'cheeky' after that.

After an error from blue at Les Combes, and a bit of a draught battle, I lost grip through the 100mph Pouhon meaning I went wide. I thought it was all over at that point and settled in only to see blue touch the astroturf before the right turn leading to Stavelot, gifting me fourth going into lap 3.

At the top of the hill I rounded the first part of Les Combes to see a bright red RUF, which was a mixed feeling, but that was third. I then proceded to properly get the Kid Goat out of shape all the way through the Rivage complex and VEXD was on my tail. I held a central line into Pouhon and attemped to make good from the mess. VEXD kept me honest right up until I noticed him closing very fast... and passing me sideways in a cloud of smoke into the Bus-Stop. I was glad I saw it, but again, not so glad I'd lost the chance of a bit more of a battle! VEXD recovered it well and was only a couple of seconds down into lap 4.

From that point forwards it was a run to the line, really. I'd noticed the GTO was a bit pointier and twitchier than I would have liked late in practice, so I'd wound the ARBs off, but this meant my left tyres were wearing a bit faster than my rights. By halfway through lap 7, I was down to 5 at the rear left, the front soon followed. By Blanchimont they were all at 5 and I drifted wide, then missed the earlier braking point for bus-stop. What had been a fair closing on buybon ready to pounce on an error was now lost. Last lap was just caution and tenterhooks, seeing the rear left/front left down to 4. Little did I know buybon was in the same boat, but he handled bus-stop far better than I did again for the last corner!

I think I was lucky to get third, but I'll take it!

Second race was mental. Joe and I battered doors for a heartstopping moment through Blanchimont but I gave him the place (I don't think he'd seen me pull alongside) and I waited patiently with the Mercedes sledgehammer speed and managed to pass him at the top of Kemmel... and then immediately cocked ito up going through Les Combes. He took the place fairly, then I gave him a bit of a Plato-kiss going into Rivage on lap 3. No big harm done, I gave up a little speed but Joe didn't move over on me so went through the left side-by-side until Joe really backed out of it for which I consider myself very lucky.

[URL=http://s129.photobucket.com/user/Venari/media/Circuit%20de%20Spa-Francorchamps_20.jpg.html][/URL]

At that point it all went a bit Pete Tong. I got on the astroturf at Les Fagnes, Michael passed me at Stavelot, and I mucked up the braking into Bus-Stop and pounded the Esprit's bumper, causing all the chaos and sudden bunching of the pack.

Sorry about that.

Still the race livened up because of it!

I was desperately trying to keep a smooth line after letting Blue, Joe and Michael (& briefly buybon too) past. The powerhouse 300SL passed Michael at the top of Kemmel again but he nailed me at the end of lap 4 as I went wide at Blanchimont and had no grip at the Bus-Stop again. And then... Blue got it squiffy through Eau Rouge and the ensuing three-car chaos gifted me the lead.

Buybon was keeping me pretty honest until Michael was back on his tail at the end of lap 6. I noticed I was holding station JUST, and my front left was wearing so I just held back on the right turns, braking early and powering up gingerly and smoothly to save it.

TRACK LIMITS BE DAMNED! To gansails and courses, stand by the braces, set royals and stunsails!

At the end of lap 7 I thought I was done for, then I saw a rapidly approaching Lotus at Bus-Stop and braced for impact... which did not come. Michael unfortunately overcooked it and I was tailed by buybon alone once again. The Merc's engine had the power to draw away from the little Toyota, but I was really holding on to each corner, driving very defensively on entry and making the brown over gold Merc very wide indeed on the final lap. A barely clean run 20mph down through Blanchimont and I was over the kerbs but stayed in a straightline and edged buybon out onto the racing line, clearly holding onto the inside and really slowing up. I gambled I'd hold traction through Bus-Stop once again and held a clean apex on the exit... and Joe made the most of that as he snatched second at the last gasp.

Madness, I tells ya. Reefer Madness!

Last edited:
I always use a controller, I'm ok with it, obviously I'd be faster with a wheel (as people say anyway, I've never touched one). I probably won't keep the game long enough to use the hypersensitive cars anyway.

It depends what you're used to, when I started with a wheel I had a steep learning curve but now I rarely use a controller so I struggle with them.

I saw that cheeky line through Eau Rouge @Venari :lol: I challenge anyone to race around Spa without doing it once or twice though, I'm sure we all did! And just to add to the confusion, my name is Rob so you've got 3 to pick from now :sly:

First race I never saved so don't know what happened behind me. In the Cosmo I had enough of a lead that I could just take care of my tyres. Second race, well, it all happened really didn't it. Who says 450pp racing isn't exciting! As I've mentioned many times, there will always be contact, going off track (at Eau Rouge) etc and I think we're all guilty to a man of 'something'. Just to clarify, penalties are a very last resort in this championship and will only be given for consistent and dangerous dive bombing, taking deliberate shortcuts or punting someone off. We're here to have fun and contact, taking the short route at Eau Rouge is fine (again as long as it's not part of someone plan).

Venari summed things up nicely in the post above (so I won't add to it). It was a pretty action-packed Spa with a lot of good close driving. Pity Tom got shunted up the rear on lap 7. Did you experience lag or not see him until the last minute blue? Venari, I think I made contact with you, apologise mate, can't remember if I saw you or not but obviously it wasn't deliberate. Colin, unlucky on the last corner of the last lap mate. Did you know I had crept up? You just couldn't get on the power quick enough. Boy, was it close at the end! 00.547 between the first three. Another really enjoyable race. Well done to all.

Last edited:
MEET 5: Spa Francorchamps

Race 1 Results

1st
joe__kerr_______25
2nd buybon355_____18
3rd GTP_Venari_____15
4th Sutsgrd________12
5th bloodyboyblue___10
6th iamtooma_______8
7th glenn_cullen_____6
8th Michael-O-Pear___4
9th GTP_VEXD______2

IfAndOr__________DNS
Dave76543210____DNS
bcd73___________DNS
JockeP22_________DNS
Eran003 _________DNS

Race 2 Results

1st
GTP_Venari_______25
2nd joe__kerr________18
3rd buybon355_______15
4th Michael-O-Pear____12
5th bloodyboyblue____10
6th glenn_cullen______8
7th Sutsgrd__________6
8th GTP_VEXD_______4
9th iamtooma________2

IfAndOr__________DNS
Dave76543210____DNS
bcd73___________DNS
JockeP22_________DNS
Eran003 _________DNS

Driver Standings (after 5 meets/10 races)

1st buybon355 ______183
2nd joe__kerr _______166
3rd GTP_Venari ______159
4th bloodyboyblue____158
5th iamtooma _______ 60
6th dave76543210 ____51
7th Michael-O-Pear____44
8th glenn_cullen______32
9th IfAndOr__________28
10th Sutsagrd________26
11th bcd73 __________26
12th JockeP22 _______12
13th GTP_VEXD________6
14th Eran0004 _______0

*The best 14 results from 16 races (8 week championship/2 races per meet minus the two lowest scoring races) will count towards the driver's total points score.

Please note: all race results and the Driver Standings can be found on post #4 and 5

Last edited:
That was some last lap in race 2 Joe! I saw you closing but didn't realise you were pretty much alongside as I headed for the first apex at the bus stop, so apologies if it looked like I squeezed you. Then I had a perfectly positioned merc in front of me so I couldn't get on the power fully and saw you appear on my right for a well deserved second.

Great couple of races, pleased with second in race 1, and had a big smile after a great battle and a third place in race 2.

Great shame I had to miss Spa. I'd even done some more testing!
I'll have to get the Stratos ready for its home turf instead.

Anyway it looks like you had a lot of fun. 👍

Hopefully I'll return for Monza. Although I'm usually rubbish there, those chicanes do get in the way!

It was commented with perhaps some surprise that I got any speed out of the Galant. Well, on paper with my methods, it's one of the pokier cars in the field, with a broad tabletop of power once you've pushed it past 5,500rpm, useable through the redline up to 8k.

I mentioned that it had a problem putting down power off the line, something I'd cured before, but not for the race. Well, I decided to reset first gear and present it here for you all to try.

EDIT: This gearing/setup works pretty well at Monza too - sub 2m00. Just get all your braking done in a straight line (or remove a click of rear brake?)

RH: 94 / 90
SR: 3.70 / 3.30
DC: 9 / 9
DX: 9 / 9
ARB: 5 / 4 (For Monza, use 6 / 4 or 7 / 5. Might work better at Spa too, on reflection.)
CA: 0.0 / 0.0
TA: 0.00 / 0.00

Race Brakes: 7 / 9 (ABS: 1)

Trans: Set Final gear to maximum (5.500? 6.000?) then set 'Max Speed' to minimum (99mph.) Then set the following:

First: 2.875 (a range from 2.875 to 2.900 is the sweet spot, 2.925 will smoke 'em for sure.)
Second: 2.175
Third: 1.675
Fourth: 1.350
Fifth: 1.115
Sixth: 0.985
Final: 3.425

LSD: 7 / 14 / 45, with triple clutch and carbon prop.

Power: NO OIL CHANGE
100.0% on Limiter
Engine stage 3 tuning (*shudder*)
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Iso Exhaust Manifold
Sports Catalytic Convertor
Intake Tuning
Mid-range Turbo
= 245hp @ 7,500rpm, 29.7kgfm @ 5,500rpm

Body: Stage 3 lighten, window weight reduction 43kg ballast @ +50% = 905kg 56:44 weight distribution.

Change at about 7,750rpm (something I forgot last night.) You want to be past 7,500, but don't want to risk 8,000 for optimum acceleration. If you're concentrating on other things (i.e. holding fifth through Eau Rouge) then it's not a disaster, but if you're in a straight line, going past 8 loses you time.

The car can push a little through very slow corners, and stamping on the throttle early won't help as it will spin up in second. Be patient, get the steering lock wound off, and it will grip-and-go. You might be able to fix this by lowering damper values all around, but this will cost you lateral grip and possibly a bit of startline traction.

If you feel you can handle the car being a bit more lively, add one to both ARB settings. This will help balance tyre wear left-to-right.

Get the right line, and even with some wear on the tyres, this car will hold 130mph through Blanchimont. You can take some kerb too, the soft suspension doesn't get that upset by things. If you do it in a slow corner by accident, just lift the throttle a tad and it will track true for you. In Rivage, one new tyres, it will hold a steady 60mph on line with a balanced throttle. When you can see the 90-left, it should take full throttle. Get yourself over to the right because 77mph should be possible through there again with a blanced throttle, and you can use some kerb and third gear to get through it, mashing the throttle as soon as you're past the apex.

I take a lot of kerb on the entry to Eau Rouge, and aim to get the car over to the right ASAP, and as soon as I'm on the right kerb, pull it left. Fifth gear was set for this, you'll lose a few RPMs, but hold it in fifth all the way to 7750 as soon as you've cleared the complex. You should be almost topping out sixth at 141mph before braking for Les Combes.

That said, it's more solid than spectacular, if you can get it in the low 2m40s, I'd be impressed. I think I managed a 2m39.7 during testing when it was twitchier and one similar quali lap, but never again. It is, however, pretty consistent and forgiving. Back off the throttle and it will just hold the line and wait for you to do something else.

Last edited:
No I couldn't see tom in race 2, I assume he didn't clear cache before coming back. I didn't say anything because usually we aren't near each other on track (plus the majority could see him so I wasn't going to hold anyone back by rejoining and then having people not see me)

I'm 90 percent sure I won't be able to race next Saturday. I'm excited that I'll be getting a brand new car and then immediately christening it by driving to Toronto to go to see some band (Get Up Kids) my girlfriend likes but I've never listened to. So I think I'll have left or will be leaving by 5 when the racing starts. I like Monza though. Probably the only track that has a classic option available where I prefer the classic version.

Back