Reefer Madness! Saturday Classic Racing 10pm GMTOpen 

• Thread starter reefer
  • 510 comments
Is there any interest in running mandatory pit stops and a tyre compound change for Monza? And/or what about switching up the endurance element to 30 min and 10 min or something?

I don't mind - happy to go with the decision on it either way.

I too have a (sturdy) desk setup with a good 27 inch monitor about a metre away from me. Which to me is ideal.

I built myself a unit in the corner of a room. My wheel is mounted to this, and my 22" TV sits on a plinth to raise it to eye level. I can touch the screen without stretching, so any bigger i feel would cause eye strain. There is a formula somewhere for how big your TV should be vs how close you are to it.

I built myself a unit in the corner of a room.

Would love to see your handy work mate.

Re this weekend's Monza races:

First race will be in the rain without penalties. Second race will be the usual settings plus strong penalties. Not sure if Boris will make it as he's now singing in a group on Saturday nights. Get some wet-lap practice in - you'll need it!

Last edited:
Sports softs are fine in the rain. If you're in the 2m10 range, you're about there. I think I hit a 2m07 once, but braking is... well, braking is the worst part, so reducing rear bias and maybe upping LSD Decel worth a shot.

Sorry If, should have said; wet wet, whatever setting that is, can't remember now. 100% weather(?). And Fixed so that it'll hopefully stay wet. Also, starting with a wet track on 100%, should feel just like home..

That is wet! Good job they're not open topped cars.

You'll need to be out front to avoid the spray.

Can I change to the VW Schwimmwagen - it might help. :)

That is wet! Good job they're not open topped cars.

You'll need to be out front to avoid the spray.

Can I change to the VW Schwimmwagen - it might help. :)
Is this the only FF car from the 18 cars allowed?

I'm not sure why PD thought the game needed an amphibious vehicle but the picture below is of the Shcwimmwagen in action. I thought it's boating abilities might come in useful in Joe's very wet Monza race. :)

schwimmwagen03.jpg

I don't think he's planning on adding it to his car list anytime soon. :P

Lol, I thought you were jokingly referring to VW Golf and using it in the rain because it's FF so it's easier to handle. I had no idea there is actually something like Schwimmwagen. :lol:

You lot are all bonkers......

I'm relying on a Malaysian flight coming in on time for me to make it with some untuned cars this week, so don't wait for me if I'm not there.....

Good luck and have fun

:irked:👍

I'm relying on a Malaysian flight coming in on time for me to make it with some untuned cars this week,
You are having your cars delivered at the last minute on a plane from Malaysia!? :crazy: :)
You lot are all bonkers......
It's the only way to be. ;)
Hope you can make it.

In fact I hope I can make it this week. But same as VEXD said, don't hang around if I'm not there Joe.

For some reason, I've been thinking about Group B cars this weekend. We should have some Group B racing. I've had a rather "bonkers" idea for a Group B challenge with silly scoring and not much focus on outright wins to win. Anyone expressing an interest PM me and if we can a test group together and it works, I might take it public.

As for Monza, the penalties do focus the mind. Looking forwards to tonight.

Love the group B cars, they're bonkers! Had a wee shot in the rain today, man that's hard! Was running full wets as had 100% rain. I'll try another go but was struggling big time.

Group B is rally?

I am trying Stratos in the rain now. All I can say is, stay away from me if you value your life

I'm running the Audi. Hoping the Quattro will help me get through Storm Reefer at Monza. :D

Im all for bonkers Grp B rally cars although I doubt I have the skill to tame them?!?:eek:

I'm also up for a schwimmwagen race fully tuned on a long track. :cool:

Look forward to this evening.
:cheers:

I've been practicing earlier today online solo tire wear on, weather 100% wet 100% and I was able to do 2:11-2:12 laps with a couple of cars. But when I tried in the lobby it was like totally different cars and couldn't make it even past first few turns. I don't get it, is it my brain or the game?

Btw if I join race 2, will I be placed 1st or last on the grid?

I don't get it, is it my brain or the game?
Just checking, were you on full race wet tyres Michael? Only I joined late and later realised I was still on sport soft's.
The Merc was all but uncontrollable so I pulled into the pits to save ruining anyone's race.

You would have been, I think, last on the grid for the second race.

Certainly a bit of confusion and some hasty adjustment at the beginning there. I had been running SportsSoft tyres on 'Low grip on wet track' - and then I realised the setting was at 'Real' and also tyres were Race Wets. Some hasty knob-twiddling and slider-pulling was had, but toe-in didn't work so I just upped the dampers to slow all the transitions down even more. Seems to behave okay since you don't really want to be anywhere near the kerbs!

Some asked for setups - this is what I was using.

RUF - Solid performer, phenomenal braking. Also good in wet. Just survives for fuel in dry after 11 laps.

Sport Softs for Dry / Racing Wet Tyres for Wet

RH 100 / 90
SR 4.00 / 7.00
DC 9 / 9 (wet 10/10)
DX 9 / 9 (wet 10/10)
ARB 7 / 6
CT 0/0/0/0

Race brakes 10 / 5 (dry) 9 / 4 (wet)

Transmission after power tuning, set max final gear, min speed, then final = 3.750
First 3.057
Second 1.901
Third 1.410
Fourth 1.118
Fifth 0.926
Sixth 0.801

LSD 7 / 14 / 60, triple clutch

Power, no oil change, 69.3% (yuk) otherwise stock, 256hp flat from about 4700 up to 7000

WR stage 3, carbon bonnet, 105kg ballast at -50%, 46:54 distribution, 1150kg.

Incredible braking power, won't overrotate on entry in dry - bit lively in wet though. Locomotive like, just get it to the speed you want, turn in and go. If you're a bit fast it slowly wags its tail but should be okay with a lift or dab, no spins. Powerslides very manageable, especially in wet - drifts. Parabolica needs caution on line, won't take full throttle quite and will wag. Obviously 2nd gear accels require a bit of caution to keep traction.

Stratos

Sport Softs for dry

RH 93 / 92
SR 3.00 / 3.87
DC 9 / 9
DX 9 / 9
ARB 6 / 7
C/T 0/0/0/0

Race Brakes 9 / 5

Transmission. Set Final gear to highest, set speed to min, set final gear to 3.700, rest should be:
First 3.204
Second 2.226
Third 1.641
Fourth 1.274
Fifth 1.043

LSD 30 / 10 / 60, triple clutch

Power, no oil change, 100%
Sport computer, race exhaust, iso manifold, sports cat, intake tune
252hp @ 7700rpm

Body Stage 3 WR, Carbon Bonnet, Windows WR, 119kg ballast @ -50% = 976kg, 48:52 distribution

The key to this setup is getting the weight forward AND the LSD. 30 initial and 60 on the decel is a big stabilising factor when hauling the car down from 150mph. It still wags its nose a little, but it's managable. I brake without changing down, and slam the right ratio home in the last part of braking, but either work if you're steady. Change down too fast and the rear will lose traction and you'll spin.

If the whole thing is too twitchy on wheel, reduce ARBs first. High-speed corners require the balance to be right, but you can try making the rear softer still, the corollary might be some high-speed understeer. Otherwise you should have no problems with braking into corners or balance in high speed corners.

At Monza, Lesmo 1 is 90-91 min, Lesmo 2 is possible flat on the right line, and if you nail it can be done at 110 min. 150mph+ before braking for Rettifilo. Starts to lose 'pushing-on pace' traction and grip at tyres on 6, will four-wheel slide (all red tyres) into Parabolica at this point. Rear left tyre is at 3 for me after 11 laps with still good feel. Fuel OK.

Now try this setup on the Seasonal at Matterhorn. :D

Last edited:
I hope your view is as funny as mine (due to the replay sampling resolution) but it's worth watching the whole of the first race from Joe's car, roof cam rear view. :D

First up, apologies to all, especially If, for not making it clear about running on wets. I think I automatically assumed that as we were running in full rain conditions, everyone would know - silly me! Sorry guys! Also shame about gerber not getting to grips with his car and deciding to pull out. I guess like If (in race 1) he just didn't want to get in anyone's way.

Second, congrats to Venari on RUFing me up for half of race 1 and for winning the race 2. In race 1 I knew you would be faster than me so I was relying on you having a moment.. which duly came. You were all over me though and with near zero visibility, it must have been tough. However, I was confident for race 1 and felt all I had to do was keep it tidy and hope. Looking at the beginning of the race from buybon's car he must have had it tough too as he had 3 cars just in front kicking up all sorts. I didn't have that pleasure. Great couple of moves on me Venari (I had a huge grin on my face every time you challenged.. and that's what it's all about!), you almost made them stick and I fear if you had got passed you would have pulled away, so I'm happy for the win. The last lap you made up so much on me I actually cried out S**t. I was really struggling but just managed to hold on and no more! With hindsight though I feel kinda bad for If sitting in the pits on a Saturday night when he could have been out dancing in the rain with us. Sorry mate. I really ought to have made 'wets' clear in the thread.

Race 2, I wasn't confident. I had 2 gearings set up for the Merc '54 and couldn't decide which one to use. In practice I managed 1:57.0 but in the race my best lap was 1:59.6. mmm, not sure why. Anyway, when I saw 2 Stratos' on the grid I knew I was in for a hiding. Again, Venari was in top form, both in set up and driving, and controlled the race from start to finish. Suts, If, Tom and buybon had a really good battle going on behind. I think at one point Tom touched Suts but Suts got a penalty. That's why I'm not keen on running with penalties on. But, yeah, that was a good battle to watch. From what I can judge from the replay I think Sut's Cosmo was a handful at times. As the front runners (nearly everyone?) are using different cars for each race, matching the right car for each track is crucial. Today was another example of that.

Thanks to all for turning up and racing hard. For the next race we'll be back to sport soft tyres and no penalties!!

Two races to go, anyone want to have a stab at working out the possible permutations at the top of the leaderboard?

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s.jpg

Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_1.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_2.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_3.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_4.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_5.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_7.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_8.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_9.jpg
Autodromo Nazionale Monza '80s_10.jpg

Last edited:
MEET 6: Autodromo Nazionale Monza 80s

Race 1 Results
(Rain)

1st joe__kerr_______25
2nd GTP_Venari_____18
3rd buybon355______15
4th Sutsagrd________12
5th iamtooma_______10

IfAndOr__________DNF

bloodyboyblue_____DNS
glenn_cullen______DNS
Michael-O-Pear____DNS
GTP_VEXD_______DNS
Dave76543210____DNS
bcd73___________DNS
JockeP22_________DNS
Eran003 _________DNS

Race 2 Results

1st
GTP_Venari_____25
2nd joe__kerr______18
3rd buybon355_____15
4th IfAndOr________12
5th iamtooma______10
6th Sutsagrd________8

bloodyboyblue_____DNS
glenn_cullen______DNS
Michael-O-Pear____DNS
GTP_VEXD_______DNS
Dave76543210____DNS
bcd73___________DNS
JockeP22_________DNS
Eran003 _________DNS

Driver Standings (after 6 meets/12 races)

1st buybon355 ______213
2nd joe__kerr _______209
3rd GTP_Venari ______202
4th bloodyboyblue____158
5th iamtooma _______ 80
6th dave76543210 ____51
7th Sutsagrd_________46
8th Michael-O-Pear____44
9th IfAndOr__________40
10th glenn_cullen_____32
11th bcd73 __________26
12th JockeP22 _______12
13th GTP_VEXD_______6
14th Eran0004 _______0

*The best 14 results from 16 races (8 week championship/2 races per meet minus the two lowest scoring races) will count towards the driver's total points score.

Please note: all race results and the Driver Standings can be found on post #4 and 5

I feel kinda bad for If sitting in the pits on a Saturday night when he could have been out dancing in the rain with us. Sorry mate. I really ought to have made 'wets' clear in the thread.
Don't worry about it, I should have studied your posts a little more. If I'd also managed to arrive earlier I would have probably realised before the race anyway. It wasn't until I was way behind on qualy that I thought "this isn't right". :dopey:
At least I didn't have to worry about the spray from other cars. ;)

Yeah I was using Sport Softs, silly me :dopey:
But what added to my confusion is that I was testing before on SS and it was fine. I must have forgotten to set wet physics to "real" :banghead:

So, get booted up with some inters and wets beforehand as we'll probably run with weather on in race 1.

Just found this, but again, sorry chaps, next time I'll try 'n make a point of highlighting the important changes etc.

Back