Removing exaust

I know u guys are gonna be rice rice rice, but help me out. I removed my exaust from my catback, put 3 washers on the 2 bolts back and connected the two, with the gap in the middle. Does this hurt my gas milelage?

?

So, you now have a normal exhaust system, only with washers opening up a gap between the cat and the rest of the system?
What the hell for? If you want it to be louder, just hack your muffler off. That way you won't get exhaust heat and smell right under your seat.
OR (you're not going to like this), buy an exhaust bypass valve. That way, you can still drive around being annoyingly loud and pissing people off, but can also flip the switch and have a completly normal exhaust system which won't get you a ticket.
Anyway, I don't think it will affect your mileage. Unless you pass out from the fumes.

I depends... if you have a turbo you will gain horsepower and torque = different gas milage....
NA = you eventually even loose horse power ... I'm no expert btw...

Max_DC
I depends... if you have a turbo you will gain horsepower and torque = different gas milage....
NA = you eventually even loose horse power ... I'm no expert btw...

You still gain power if you increase the exhaust flow in a N/A car also.... To a extent.

The sound of a leaky exhaust is awful in my honest opinion.

Actually, it will hurt your mileage quite a lot to have an exhaust leak. It introduces turbulence into the system AND lowers the exhaust temps (which slows down exhaust flow). Even if the car doesn't run noticeably crappier, it will be losing power and MPG. I don't know what you'd gain from having those washers there in the first place.

I agree, you want sound? Just take the muffler off. Of course, it'll piss off the police. :)

Basically those red Cherry Bomb mufflers you see.

From cherrybomb webpage
Glass Pack

HIGH-PERFORMANCE GLASS-PACKED MUFFLER Heavy-gauge steel shell High-density long strand fiber glass Special conical perforated core tube The original high-performance glass-paced muffler. Legendary deep and mellow Cherry Bomb� sound. Straight-through design reduces back pressure and maximizes horsepower. High-temperature powder-coated finish. Limited lifetime warranty. Applications: All Makes All Models

Azndrifter318, What kind of car and what engine do you have? If the 318 in your Username is your displacement, maybe you could run some Baffled Zoomies. (Crazy idea, It's just a psychotic thought, and it'd take lots of work, and you'd really piss off the neighborhood and the police.

BlazinXtreme: Do you have any experience with Glass Packs? Is there any difference Between Cherrybomb or purple hornies? I've been thinking about getting a pair for my Biscayne for a while now, and was wondering if you or other GTP members had any info on them. :)

menglan
Azndrifter318, What kind of car and what engine do you have? If the 318 in your Username is your displacement, maybe you could run some Baffled Zoomies. (Crazy idea, It's just a psychotic thought, and it'd take lots of work, and you'd really piss off the neighborhood and the police.

BlazinXtreme: Do you have any experience with Glass Packs? Is there any difference Between Cherrybomb or purple hornies? I've been thinking about getting a pair for my Biscayne for a while now, and was wondering if you or other GTP members had any info on them. :)

Nope I've never messed with em, they sell the Cherry Bombs at K-Mart so I figured they couldn't be very good. I would suggest just putting Flowmaster 80 series on it, you would get one mean sound. Although I'm for quite cars, if you want to know about hot rod exhaust I would talk to Camaroboy, I'm sure he knows more then I do.

Back