Renault 5 Prototype EV - 'Renaulution' Strategy Plan

Thanks to someone being sneaky, the final design has been revealed a few days early:
View attachment 1330902
View attachment 1330903
View attachment 1330904

I've got to say this is the most I've liked the design of an electric car in this segment since the Honda E... And this one is expected to have decent range for a change!
That looks fantastic, love to see the classic style brought to a new era. The new Countach I really quite liked as well, but love that this also keeps a lot of the old styling.

Was looking forward to the unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show for this car, now no need to wait. Interior looks like just a cheaper version of the Megane, was hoping it would a new generation looking more space-age. Maybe for the A290 they can do something extra for it. Anyway, it will be a huge step up over the ZOE so can see it selling extremely well if priced competitively.

I was going to comment about the screen and say it should flip up and down like a laptop. I guess design teams trial and error all types of ideas.

I was going to comment about the screen and say it should flip up and down like a laptop. I guess design teams trial and error all types of ideas.
Bring back the foldout/flipup head units of the early 2000s. I’m sure Alpine (the other one) still has technical drawings for these bad boys somewhere.

F249C683-39DF-473A-92DF-710D62D89C6F.jpeg

Love it. If I do ever move to electric in the near future, it'd probably be between this or the Honda e, though this does the retraux styling thing way better. 5 Turbo widebody version when?

The Honda E is still better looking, but I must admit it's not a lot better looking to justify it's trash range.
The E would've been better as a PHEV. Almost all these small Euro-centric cars would be better as PHEVs. Slap a kei car engine in there and create a Prius, can't be that hard.

Bring back the foldout/flipup head units of the early 2000s. I’m sure Alpine (the other one) still has technical drawings for these bad boys somewhere.

View attachment 1331762
winces in warranty claims adjuster

This thing looks great. I do love PHEVs but I'm gonna disagree with @Keef on this one, city cars are a good fit for being BEV. Though, as best as I can tell, this one will still have a pretty hearty 50+kwh battery with like 250 miles of range....which will likely never be needed by anyone who actually uses these as city cars.

I think we need some kind of Kei car like regulation. City cars with maximum ~25kwh batteries get the biggest tax incentives and monstrosities like the Cybertruck and Hummer EV get tax penalties. Capping the battery size at 25kwh would incentivize using resources more efficiently and creatively and stop the girth-out of just putting the biggest ****ing battery that fits between the front and rear wheels and calling it a day.

Last edited:
They really killed it with the design here. Not just the exterior, but the interior is quite stylish and competitive for its price point. I hope Renault have their production lines well oiled, because this is undoubtedly going to sell in big numbers.

The 5 is was perhaps the best choice for doing a retro vehicle as an EV. It's a practical size and shape (that the new one is bigger than the original is also true of the Mini and 500e), and the first-generation was a smash hit in Europe. An genuinely affordable EV- assuming Renault is in the ballpark of its $25k price tag- with decent enough range and good looks is exactly what the market is hungry for.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back