Renault Sport becomes Alpine Cars

VXR

United Kingdom
Plymouth, UK
motorforum
So is the RS line of Clio and Megane hatchbacks finished, or simply to be rebranded as Renault Alpine 275 Cup for example?

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Wasn't Alpine already a car brand? I always assumed it was.
Yes - hence the Alpine A110.

This is simply a rebranding, moving products currently badged as "Renault Sport" (hot Clios and Meganes) to become Alpines.

VXR
So is the RS line of Clio and Megane hatchbacks finished, or simply to be rebranded as Renault Alpine 275 Cup for example?
They haven't gone into any specific details on this but, unlike the last time they tried this with stuff like the Renault Alpine A610, it looks like the word "Renault" won't be in there. It'll just be Alpine Clio 220, or whatever.

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef
Probably the best thing about this change will be the styling updates to future models. Alpine obviously has a limited heritage but could easily develop its own unique design language

United States
Maryland
GranTurismo0517
RandomCarGuy17
Yes - hence the Alpine A110.

This is simply a rebranding, moving products currently badged as "Renault Sport" (hot Clios and Meganes) to become Alpines.
Ah, alright. I got confused due to how it was worded, it made me think Renault was randomly adding another Alpine brand for some reason.

That's neat I guess, kinda like how the Citroen DS cars became their own brand. I'm actually a bit curious about the potential design language changes myself.

Moglet

Gendertrash
Premium
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Moglet85
Moglet
Every time a manufacturer does this a little part of everyone who browses used car ads dies inside

LeGeNd-1

Premium
Australia
Australia
GTP_LeGeNd-1
Not a fan of this. I associate the Alpine brand with a certain type of car and hot hatches are not the image that comes to mind. I think their intention is to move the RS cars upmarket but I fear it will end up diluting the Alpine brand instead.

Poland
Poland
J_Chmielinski
Very much what I expected, especially with Renault moving to pure EV in the near future and the 180 km/h top speed limiters.

homeforsummer

Bonbonbonbons!
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I associate the Alpine brand with a certain type of car and hot hatches are not the image that comes to mind.
A5_noire1.jpg

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
ScaffGTP
Yamauchi gave the brand a spotlight 6 years ago. Not a coincidence.
I can assure you 100% that it is nothing more than a coincidence.

Technically it's a Renault 5 Alpine, not an Alpine 5. So it still doesn't count :P

When I think Alpine, I think A110, A310, A610. I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say here.
Gordini in the UK (because Sunbeam had already trademarked the Alpine name).

With regard to the hot-hatch link, personally I don; have an issue with it given that the Alpine Dieppe factory has long produced a lot of the RenaultSport models.

Last edited:
United Kingdom
Wreckage, Turn 1
PrecisionXCIV
3 upcoming Alpine EVs have been teased:
Alpine-EV-Future-4.jpg

Top to bottom: Coupe SUV, Hot Hatch (appears to be based on the Renault 5 Concept) and A110 successor. The second one has definitely taken my interest! 👀

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef
It's too bad they're going to be EVs honestly. Alpine was reborn just a few years too late.