Renault Sport Race Series (Finished)PS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 230 comments
Are most of you guys way below 1 minute on International with the RS01?

I'm just curious

My best so far is 1:03.9 and I'm usually 4-6 seconds behind the fastest guys.

Are most of you guys way below 1 minute on International with the RS01?
Not way below. I can crack the 1 minute barrier when really pushing it. Anyway don't concentrate on the time, work on consistency, the speed will come from that. And if you can keep it on the track you'll be ahead of someone who can't. ;)

I'm hoping the shorter lap times for both car will produce some exciting racing at Silverstone. Plus the 2 layouts are completely different which will add some variety.

For Monday
Méganes around the National - 12 laps.
R.S.01s around the International - 20 laps.

It's set in July for a bit of extra heat in the track surface. It's the UK, but unusually there's not any rain. :)

Last edited:
Not way below. I can crack the 1 minute barrier when really pushing it. Anyway don't concentrate on the time, work on consistency, the speed will come from that. And if you can keep it on the track you'll be ahead of someone who can't. ;)

I'm hoping the shorter lap times for both car will produce some exciting racing at Silverstone. Plus the 2 layouts are completely different which will add some variety.

For Monday
Méganes around the National - 13 laps.
R.S.01s around the International - 18 laps.

It's set in July for a bit of extra heat in the track surface. It's the UK, but unusually there's not any rain. :)

No rain = you're my hero

Seems like I was confusing my times with the Mégane @slthree. During a test race with the AI I could only get a 1:23 lap. So you're not far off. 👍

Anyway those test races have resulted in some slight adjustments to the lap counts above. The Mégane races are down 1 lap each and the RS is up 2. Nearer to the usual 12 and 20-25 minutes then.

No rain = you're my hero
There could still be thick fog, ice and snow. Probably not though. :P

I'm back and would be keen to join you guys, if there is any available space?
Hi R.B. Yes there are a few spaces, 3 to be precise, and it would be good to see you on track again. If you can give RJ a kick too, even better. :)

There's only 2 races left in this Renault series but you are welcome to join in, it'll get you back into the swing of things. Just have quick glance over the first couple of posts to get the gist of what we're doing now - the format has changed somewhat! We start at 8pm now and finish about 9.30 and there are 3 races in between.

I'm not completely sure what I'm running after this finishes but there'll probably be something.

How much did you get your G29 for? I think the cheapest I saw it for was £180 with the shifter.

Thanks If... Looks like I've rejoined at a good time, I love Silverstone! Home race for me, its only around the corner from my house

I'll give him a nudge, he's got a space issue currently - he moved so doesn't have space for the rig but I'll see if he fancies it on controller for a giggle.

I picked it up for £172 in the end! A bargain compared to its RRP so didn't mind stumping up for it, I've missed the sim racing so a worthy investment for me!

I'm sure I'll be wildly off the pace but I'll see you all this evening

Results from Silverstone

Silverstone Megane MON.jpg

Silverstone RS01 MON.jpg

Bus Stop/Inner Loop Turn 5

The AI take it in 5th gear (drop to 4th when exiting) pretty darn fast.

Is that what you guys are doing because it's brutal for me. If I want to take it with any sense of speed at all I have to go all the way down to third gear. I know I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure it out

EDIT: just realized most of you guys are sleeping so I'm not going to get any help on this subject until tomorrow but I eagerly await your input.

Better yet, I easily await somebody posting video going through that section with the proper line so I could try to emulate it.

Last edited:
@AndreasR is looking favourite for both championships although there's still an outside chance of an upset. I reduced my chances by spinning out near the end at Silverstone and loosing a couple of spots. :)

@slthree Sleeping? What's that?
The AI really love the RS, they are very fast in it. I think they've got some of those "magic" tyres.
Now I should remember because I've just put a lot of laps in while sorting out next week's meeting. I think I did similar to the AI, certainly no lower than 4th. A light throttle and a higher gear will help in preventing the wheels spinning up on the rumble strips and allow you more exit speed. The Megane needs balancing through there otherwise it can spin out. Keep some power on to pull it though.

OK for next Monday @ Watkins Glen

The Megane on the short course - 10 laps
The R.S. on the GP course - 13 laps.

For variety on the final meeting there maybe a little rain. Sorry @xeronima, although not necessarily for that long or for every race. ;)

I've just realised there is only 3 weeks left until the end of the year! So it might be best to start a new series in the new year. If it's OK with everyone I'll probably run a short fun mini championship prior to that just to fill the gap. I think I have an idea.

OK for next Monday @ Watkins Glen
Looking forward to it. Would you mind letting us know if you switch off track limits; it can make quite a difference to lap times if we know we're allowed to take wider lines in some corners.

Anyway, have you given any consideration to a multi class series?
A lot of thoughts have crossed my mind, that being one of them. :P

Now it's been mentioned. How would my tables man @half_sourly feel about scoring a multi-class/car event? I wouldn't want to trouble you unduly. There's nothing imminent.

Track limits will be on again at Watkins. The bus stop chicane can't be skipped. :D Although the limits are quite lenient.
The rolling start works fine there too.

Just a thought on multi-class series; I took part in one recently and two observations arose: firstly, that if there is a large difference between classes, overtaking (both protocol and practise) may cause issues; secondly, that if there are not enough total drivers, there may be too few in some classes to make for competitive driving.

@AndreasR took/takes part in that series too, so he may have different thoughts. Also, I've only been driving against other humans for a few months, so more weight should be put on views of those of you who have more experience.

Just a thought on multi-class series;
Yes your m-c series observations are relevant. We've done them with Sick. There's a balancing act in getting the types of cars er, balanced. Too much difference can cause the issues you mentioned.

I'm thinking I could run it in 2 ways. True m-c, where there are separate points tables. But then the issues above. Or use it as a handicap system. Everyone start in one type of car then the top section of the winners drop into slower cars. This process would then continue, helping to mix up the field*. I've been involved with variations of this before and it can work quite well. The scoring for this may give you the challenge you'd like!

*But not the starting grid unfortunately. Even after mixed qualifying PC2 always puts the faster classes first.

It all needs some more thought and testing. I have further ideas. :boggled:
Perhaps if anyone is free we could run some test races over this festive period.

Oh by the way everyone, I've renewed my PS Plus subscription. I got it at £32.85 at ShopTo. So you've got me for another year. ;)

The multi class chaimpionships, done with Sick, in Classic cars, tracks. Were really great, Le Mans, old Spa.

Back