Renault Sport Race Series (Finished)PS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 230 comments
Results from Nürburgring

Nürburgring Megane MON.jpg

Nürburgring RS01 MON.jpg

Nurburgring was fun, and even though I was the one who requested Nordschleife I almost forgot about it
and nearly left the lobby after the endurance race. Luckily I didn't :)
But I got real nervous when I noticed I was starting in pole position.
I forgot to practice and hadn't turned a lap at Nordschleife in Project Cars for over two years.

Here's the start of our lap at Nordschleife, the live feed ends rather abruptly after the two helicopters collide :scared:

Continuing thanks to @AndreasR & @half_sourly for the results and championship tables. I keep updating the post on the front page with them. And of course to @John Wells for his excellent pictures capturing the events.
--------------------

I quite enjoined Nürbergring. Except for a brief off track moment early in the R.S. race I managed to keep it together. Although like all longer tracks the cars do tend to get a bit spread out - especially in the R.S. race.

It should hopefully be a closer field at Oulton Park on Monday, which I've managed to get everything sorted out for a little earlier this week.*

The Mégane races will be 11 laps of the Fosters layout. (About 13 minutes)
The R.S. 01 race will be 13 laps of the full International layout. (~ 23 mins.)

*It took longer and involves a few more between race change notes to myself than usual. But because it's going to be a summer's day in the UK expect some typical weather. It might be be inclement. Then again it might not! :sly:

A word of caution. Oulton is quite narrow but is still fairly fast so be patient when trying to overtake. This is especially true in the random grid 2nd race. The R.S. is also quite wide! Wait for the right moment. ;)

Last edited:
A double post but I wanted to keep this question separate.

We are half way through the season now - race 7 of 12 on Monday.

So now that you should all be used to it is everyone happy with the format? Has anyone got any suggestions for changes heading into the 2nd half of the season? Preferably minor changes since I don't want to upset the format completely.

And of course, are you enjoying it? That's the main thing. :)

I'm happy with the format and am enjoying it. Highlight are variation of tracks, cars and race lengths; mixed grid start; reasonably full grids; modern cars to balance out against the Wednesday GTS classic cars series.

Suggestions:
  • Enforce track limit penalties. Not having them opens the door to drivers deliberately or inadvertently taking lines that give them an advantage over those who stay on the track. It also provides overtake opportunities that would not exist if dog and hare both stayed on the track.
  • Remove start light penalties in the RS01 races - Lancer getting a 20 sec penalty for what must have been a millisecond infringement does not seem fair, especially given the non-penalties for more substantial infringements (see bullet 1).
  • Do you use jump start penalties for the Touring series? If not, propose you should. Getting away slightly earlier from a standing start is very different than on a rolling start.

Suggestions
Thanks for your response. 👍

Enforce track limit penalties - I could certainly try a race or two with the track limits enabled. I'd been relying on everyone behaving. They can be stricter at some tracks more than at others and often penalise an off track moment where you've already lost time.

Tell you what, I'll enable track limits at Oulton to see how it goes and what the response is.
BUT I'd rather everyone who gets a penalty to keep racing, depending on how I set it the penalty might go away. Someone slowing down to try and remove a penalty is often a hazard to those behind.
Edit. You can often avoid a penalty by lifting off the throttle when off track - it sees you as not gaining anything then.

Remove start light penalties - Unfortunately limits are tied into this. I'd have to switch off all penalties to do this.

Do you use jump start penalties for the Touring series? - They are indeed switched on as part of the overall penalties. As above. Everyone must have been very good in their Méganes. So far.

Last edited:
Well worth a watch. Series 2 was "the difficult second album" - lead singer wants to do something different; drummer wants to stick with the formula that worked first time round - but series 1 was very good.

My PSN subscription ended. I always bought codes at CDkeys.com, but now I got message:
Warning: PlayStation Plus - 12 Month Subscription (UK) cannot be activated in Lithuania. If you still want to purchase, click "Buy Now".
We don’t have PSN at Lithuania so I have used UK account for about 15 years and everything were fine with redeem codes from cdkeys but this message confused me. Does anybody know something about that? I have never seen this message earlier.

Morning at the gas station :)
View attachment 968656
What is that, Napalm?

And of course, are you enjoying it? That's the main thing.
I think you've hit a home run with this series, Paul. 👍

Thanks for your response. 👍

Enforce track limit penalties - I could certainly try a race or two with the track limits enabled. I'd been relying on everyone behaving. They can be stricter at some tracks more than at others and often penalise an off track moment where you've already lost time.

Tell you what, I'll enable track limits at Oulton to see how it goes and what the response is.
BUT I'd rather everyone who gets a penalty to keep racing, depending on how I set it the penalty might go away. Someone slowing down to try and remove a penalty is often a hazard to those behind.
Edit. You can often avoid a penalty by lifting off the throttle when off track - it sees you as not gaining anything then.

Remove start light penalties - Unfortunately limits are tied into this. I'd have to switch off all penalties to do this.

Do you use jump start penalties for the Touring series? - They are indeed switched on as part of the overall penalties. As above. Everyone must have been very good in their Méganes. So far.

The penalties are quite funny sometimes. At Nurburgring in the R.S. race you @IfAndOr received a 2 second penalty before we had even commenced the formation lap. The cars had just started moving and the game gave you that penalty immediately. What on earth was that for?

And I just nudged half_sourly ever so slightly during the formation lap and was handed a 5 second penalty :lol:
Fair enough, it was a slight touch. In fact that 5 second penalty might have made me try even harder during the race
as I wanted to take back that lost time as much as I could.

What is that, Napalm?
I think it's a Jeep Grand Cherokee. But what he was referring to was the sticker on the the door - The Umbrella Academy. You'd probably need to have Netflix to know about the series.

(2 second penalty) What on earth was that for?
Er, I'm not sure. I have received one previously. I think I may have been too close or too far away from the car in front. I know it penalises you if you fall back too far on the formation lap! In theory while moving we should form up grid like - side by side - on the start straight prior to race start. It never quite happens like that though. :)

But now you've reminded me. The formation lap; does everyone still like it? I'd prefer to keep a rolling start for the RS race but I could do it without the formation lap. The problem then is you are "dropped" into your car suddenly just before it goes green which can cause problems on certain tracks. The F lap does give you chance to prepare for the start, plus it stretches the pack out a little so we don't all reach the 1st corner at the same time.

Remember everyone that track limits are being tested again in today's races. Try not to test the track limits. ;)
Any problems with track penalties, please contact the complaints department care of @half_sourly :P

what he was referring to was the sticker on the the door - The Umbrella Academy. You'd probably need to have Netflix to know about the series.
Oh I do have Netflix but was unaware of that series.
I'll check it out some time. I've been a fan of Resident Evil since the late nineties when I
played the very first game on the PS1. Feels like it was yesterday :dopey:

But now you've reminded me. The formation lap; does everyone still like it? I'd prefer to keep a rolling start for the RS race but I could do it without the formation lap.
Well since you're asking, my humble opinion would be to keep the rolling start as you said, but not have the formation lap.
I only say it because you asked, I normally never want to interfere with the host's lobby settings.

Race #1. Race #2. Race #3.
Yeah, as I said, a typical British summer's day. Our temperate climate has a lot to answer for. :)

It'll most likely be dry for the next race in Austria. Probably colder too. One thing for certain is it'll certainly be wider!

I know some didn't like it so much but I quite enjoyed Oulton. It helps when you win I suppose. ;)
They were races for biding your time while trying to keep on the tarmac!

Good to see @slthree again. A tightly packed Oulton was probably a bit of a shock! I hope you can make a return appearance.

Track limit penalties, what's the verdict? They do tend to be a little strict around Oulton, perhaps the narrowness doesn't help.

Thanks for sharing the video @richroo. <onto soapbox> I watched only a few bits here and there and it has prompted me to make what will probably be an unpopular statement, but hey. If some of the stuff I saw there (not your actions @richroo, but those around you) were done by someone like Harsk (and I'm not defending his driving), folk would have been shouting for a ban. Funny what reputation adds to perception. <off soapbox>

@slthree Good to see you there; I thought you were very courteous in making room for people lapping you, despite being in heated battle with John; thanks.

@IfAndOr to be honest I thought you had forgotten to impose track limits, because there were times I thought I was off track, but I got no penalty or notice. Or maybe I just couldn't see the notice through the rain!

Oulton was a great race; I raced there in real life on the bike and it was easily my favourite track. Similar to Cadwell in being narrow and winding, but a bit longer with good challenges - under the trees around Druids almost never dried out and it is a pretty fast set of corners; Shell has great camber, but as with many slow corners, was really difficult to get right after that hard braking zone. Monday brought back really good memories. :cheers:

there were times I thought I was off track, but I got no penalty or notice.
As I mentioned previously if you ease off the throttle while off track you often get away without a penalty. If you keep your foot/finger planted it thinks you could be gaining advantage.

<onto soapbox>
Since there were not any official complaints to me I haven't yet had a look at the replays. I always do and will.

Monday brought back really good memories. :cheers:
👍

I'll leave penalties on for now. If nothing else it does save me from having to marshall that on every race.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video @richroo. <onto soapbox> I watched only a few bits here and there and it has prompted me to make what will probably be an unpopular statement, but hey. If some of the stuff I saw there (not your actions @richroo, but those around you) were done by someone like Harsk (and I'm not defending his driving), folk would have been shouting for a ban. Funny what reputation adds to perception. <off soapbox>

@slthree Good to see you there; I thought you were very courteous in making room for people lapping you, despite being in heated battle with John; thanks.

@IfAndOr to be honest I thought you had forgotten to impose track limits, because there were times I thought I was off track, but I got no penalty or notice. Or maybe I just couldn't see the notice through the rain!

Oulton was a great race; I raced there in real life on the bike and it was easily my favourite track. Similar to Cadwell in being narrow and winding, but a bit longer with good challenges - under the trees around Druids almost never dried out and it is a pretty fast set of corners; Shell has great camber, but as with many slow corners, was really difficult to get right after that hard braking zone. Monday brought back really good memories. :cheers:

Really a great track Half, walked all way round, a coupe of times, at British Superbikes. In my Ride games to, lots action up Clay Hill on Mondays race.

Action from Olton Park.
MPWPWI0HE0EAAAZWE_.jpeg
Project CARS 2_20201104102855.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104102921.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103128.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103208.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103310.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103412.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103518.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103722.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103821.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104103935.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104104111.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104104220.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104104257.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104104359.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104104654.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104104916.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104105251.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104105456.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104105816.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104105839.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104105932.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104110028.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104110127.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104110222.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104110339.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104110524.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104110646.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104110846.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104111022.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104111126.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104111848.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104112022.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104112106.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104112312.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104112605.jpg
Project CARS 2_20201104112627.jpg

Good to see @slthree again. A tightly packed Oulton was probably a bit of a shock! I hope you can make a return appearance.

It was a pleasure racing with you guys again. That track was brutal (so narrow) and the rain didn't help. But, I'm happy to not have wrecked nor caused any of you to wreck.

@slthree Good to see you there; I thought you were very courteous in making room for people lapping you, despite being in heated battle with John; thanks

Thank you Sir! That's always my main goal, to drive with etiquette. I never want to ruin someone else's race.

You guys are crazy fast. I guess some things never change. I'll tell you this, @IfAndOr has been spiking his tea with something because that's the fastest I've ever seen him.

@John Wells Your photos are still fantastic! Love them.

Thank you for letting me join you guys.

Back