Requesting Detailed Drift example

• Thread starter clanegie
  • 227 comments
Singapore
Singapore
Hi Brudders, I'm new here. Have yet to know any drifters here yet. But i'm completely a noob at how to drift. I had spent alot of time reading on threads here. And yes! It had been a great help, and they have gone very depth into drifting. But still, i can't do a single drift yet.

What i'm requesting is an example, a very detail example from any drifters here. So that in the future, not only me can refer to this example and get a feel of how drifting is like. I thought that this might help one is learning the technique.

Details i would like to have are like;

1. Car, model
2. Tuning that needs to be added
3. Settings
4. Technique used (clearly describe step by step) *short form might do
5. entering speed & gear
6. speed and gear when maintaining drift
7. actions and further detail when exiting the drift.
8. Maybe an video of the drifter himself drifting with steering wheel, or DS2
(I would prefer an example on a wheel)
or
9. video of GT4 drifting with camera mode which shows the speedometer at the centre.

*Take note that i am refering to one single drift, all points 1 - 9 are details belonging to one single car drifting. Hope my english is not that bad that brudders can't understand what i trying to request.

Will awaits for a reply on this!! Anxiously....

Clanegie.

You just described the drift reference thread precisely.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but until you actually do get ONE drift down. All the instruction in the world isn't going to help you. What you should've done was told us what's happening when you try to drift and we could possibly help with your technique.

As it stands now. You can look at ANY of the WDS vids that show all the data detailed to get a video on how to drift from a technical standpoint.

You just described the drift reference thread precisely.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but until you actually do get ONE drift down. All the instruction in the world isn't going to help you. What you should've done was told us what's happening when you try to drift and we could possibly help with your technique.

As it stands now. You can look at ANY of the WDS vids that show all the data detailed to get a video on how to drift from a technical standpoint.

Hi Swift, Maybe what u suggest would be more useful! I'm new to using the steering wheel as i jus got a G25, I feel its diificult to steer with 900 degrees. Does drifting requires me to turn the wheel to full lock sometimes? As when i'm trying to drift, whenever i initiate a drift, the car will always oversteer and spins out. I think my main problem is i'm new to the wheel, and yet i have no drifting experience. But i'm very eager to learn! Had been trying hard for a few days, but i see no progress in my drifting..

Help needed!!!

Clanegie.

I think my main problem is i'm new to the wheel,

There it is right there. If you're new to the wheel, there's no way you going to start out with good drifts. I would say to a good amount of races first, on very curvy tracks. Like Costa di Amalfi. That will help you get used to turning your wheel and pedal control. Use the same car that you want to drift(but different settings of course).

From there it should be much easier to at least control the wheel, if not the car as well. :)

There it is right there. If you're new to the wheel, there's no way you going to start out with good drifts. I would say to a good amount of races first, on very curvy tracks. Like Costa di Amalfi. That will help you get used to turning your wheel and pedal control. Use the same car that you want to drift(but different settings of course).

From there it should be much easier to at least control the wheel, if not the car as well. :)

Good advise!!! can i start with any cars?? How long would one needs to master the steering wheel?

Clanegie.

Beginner Drift Competition

Once you've had a couple drifts of your own, and a car that you're comfortable in, you might want to head to that thread and check out some of the videos made by DR and myself. We show a few drifts on different corner types from 3 or 4 camera angles.

We used stock power cars and tried to keep the sections reasonable and the drifts easy to replicate. The competition is over, but it still makes for a good exercise. I used a DFP, wheras DR used a DS2, so my vids might be of slightly greater use to you.

Hi Swift, Maybe what u suggest would be more useful! I'm new to using the steering wheel as i jus got a G25,

I want that....

clanegie
1. Car, model
2. Tuning that needs to be added
3. Settings
4. Technique used (clearly describe step by step) *short form might do
5. entering speed & gear
6. speed and gear when maintaining drift
7. actions and further detail when exiting the drift.
8. Maybe an video of the drifter himself drifting with steering wheel, or DS2
(I would prefer an example on a wheel)
or
9. video of GT4 drifting with camera mode which shows the speedometer at the centre.
1.FR type( see How to Drift FR Guide)
2.Drift Settings( See drift settings depot)
3.Technique( Watch the Drift King's Drift Bible)
4-7 : Look at Example drift videos
8. why? its all the same
9. Again look at other drifter videos mainly Veteran
10. Practice, it will take you at least 3 months or a couple of weeks to get the basics down.

thought of one more decent link to check out.

Mr Deap's vids

not the greatest drifter from a technical standpoint, but you may still find his vids helpful. He does a lot of PIP stuff where he shows himslef at his wheel, as well as the bumper cam, and track cam all simultaneously.

To me his steering is a little weird... He pushes the wheel from the 5 and 7 positions, whereas I palm it or crossover (I realize pushing is recommend by some for smoothness, but I always found it a little awkward)
Anyways, it might give you a little insight into when to time your CS, and how quickly it has to be done.

FBI's 'drifting for pro' vids would've been a better demo, but their site is down. You might be able to check google video or youtube and see if someone has uploaded them there.

I want that....

1.FR type( see How to Drift FR Guide)
2.Drift Settings( See drift settings depot)
3.Technique( Watch the Drift King's Drift Bible)
4-7 : Look at Example drift videos
8. why? its all the same
9. Again look at other drifter videos mainly Veteran
10. Practice, it will take you at least 3 months or a couple of weeks to get the basics down.

One of your best posts NK!

Thanks to all your brudders out there! You guys had been real helpful to me! It jus made me wanna master drifting even more!! I will never give up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope i can do one soon! Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your kind advises.

Clanegie.:)

To me his steering is a little weird... He pushes the wheel from the 5 and 7 positions, whereas I palm it or crossover (I realize pushing is recommend by some for smoothness, but I always found it a little awkward)
Anyways, it might give you a little insight into when to time your CS, and how quickly it has to be done.
lol when im driving long distances(highways) ill just chill at 5 and 7.(kinda weird that my friends momo wheel(on his car) is about the size of the dfp wheel) but on gt4 you arent really driving long straight(for the most part) distances. i usually have a light grip on the wheel at 3 and 9 though mainly using my pointer finger and thumb and just pivot the wheel there. and i dont wrap my fingers around the wheel either because sometimes my thumb or finger will get caught in the wheel while initiating and itll mess everything up and sometimes hurts too.
FBI's 'drifting for pro' vids would've been a better demo, but their site is down. You might be able to check google video or youtube and see if someone has uploaded them there.
i know there are some on google.

thought of one more decent link to check out.

Mr Deap's vids

not the greatest drifter from a technical standpoint, but you may still find his vids helpful. He does a lot of PIP stuff where he shows himslef at his wheel, as well as the bumper cam, and track cam all simultaneously.

BL,
This will be real useful! I had just browse thru most of the videos, and they are exactly what i need. What i wish to see was the entry speed, amount of steer needed to initiate a drift, throttle control, brakes applied, amount of counter steering...etc. And i can see clearly all these in the vids. Thanks so much BL!

But as advised by Swift, i might really need to get use to my steering wheel first before thinking of drifting. LOL...

Thanks to all you brudders!

Clanegie.

1. hit E-brake
2. pitch car
3. down shift
4. 3/4th throtlle
5.drift

this isnt a nes game where pressing A, A, B, LEFT, UP, B, A your character will perform the perfect drift. the ebrake is NOT needed, downshift isnt either depending on the corner, and you cant just say 3/4 throttle because sometimes its way too much or its too little. you have to make the car react to you, not the other way around. it takes time to get the feel for how things should be done, and how certian corners should be taken and untill you get the feel of things, it will be hard to do. if you have a way to get video onto your computer you should post a video and ask for advise/help on what you need to improve on.

this isnt a nes game where pressing A, A, B, LEFT, UP, B, A your character will perform the perfect drift. the ebrake is NOT needed, downshift isnt either depending on the corner, and you cant just say 3/4 throttle because sometimes its way too much or its too little. you have to make the car react to you, not the other way around. it takes time to get the feel for how things should be done, and how certian corners should be taken and untill you get the feel of things, it will be hard to do. if you have a way to get video onto your computer you should post a video and ask for advise/help on what you need to improve on.

I do agree with you Suzuki.. It will surely differs from car to car to drift. But i still appreciate your kind help, Shaun. Thanks to both of you!

Clanegie.

Hi brudders,

I had tried abit of drifting. But i have one same problems thats occurs on each occasion. After initiating a drift, i tried to counter steer and hit the gas. But no matter how hard i hit my gas, the speed will keep on going down. until it spins out. As speed is decreasing and counter steering applied, it always ended up spining the other direction. Why is this so? Anyone to advise me?

Clanegie.

dude are you sure u have all the aids off?

i know it seems a bit obvious but it just might be the trick with ur speed!

👍

That's certainly possible, but my guess is he's just looking for a bit too much angle. Any thrust the rear tires might give him is pushing him immediately towards the inside of the corner, instead of past it. - it's all in that first link I put up about cornerspeed and angle.

That's certainly possible, but my guess is he's just looking for a bit too much angle. Any thrust the rear tires might give him is pushing him immediately towards the inside of the corner, instead of past it. - it's all in that first link I put up about cornerspeed and angle.

Thanks BL! I will try to digest all the info in the threads you had advise me to read on..

Just a question out of this topic, sorry. Can i know from which 4WD car is suitable for grip racing? No drifts. I want to practice my wheels on cars that does not spins out easily. I'm driving a sykline for this now, but are there any other recommendations?

Clanegie.

Well I like Skyline's, for both drift and grip racing, but seeing as my fave. Skyline has 746bhp, it's a monster to drift!

Anyway, I think some of the JGTC cars are a good starting point with AWD racing, lots of power, and already got a great setup!

Or... try a lower pwered car to get used to the basics. This is what most people say to get started with.. but I found the JGTC cars great when I first started GT4!

Naif

Well I like Skyline's, for both drift and grip racing, but seeing as my fave. Skyline has 746bhp, it's a monster to drift!

Anyway, I think some of the JGTC cars are a good starting point with AWD racing, lots of power, and already got a great setup!

Or... try a lower pwered car to get used to the basics. This is what most people say to get started with.. but I found the JGTC cars great when I first started GT4!

Naif

sorry to bust your bubble but jgtc cars arent awd. non are. just fr and mr. both 300 and 500 class, no awd allowed.

Naif
746 isn't that a bit much?

Well, til now i think i'm ok with my skyline and i'm getting used to my G25 already. But still, i'm still a nerd to drift. But with such high bhp at 746, is it still possible for you to drift? It seems scary. I can't control my 409 BHP skyline perfectly yet. And come to thinking controling one with 746 bhp makes feel my nerves..:nervous:

Oh God...

Clanegie.

Oh, my bad :P

yeah as i said it's a monster :D but it's still a hell of a lot of fun! get a bit too carried away in it most of the time though.

Yeah I think it may have a "little bit" too much power, but it just adds to the fun... I'll try and post my settings in the depot soon... if i get time between coursework, i'm still at school :ouch:

Naif

Back