• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 261 comments

UnoMOTO

mmmmkay
Premium
United States
Colorado
GTP_UnoMOTO
I did a search and didn't find any threads regarding current bands touring and us discussing how the show went.

Last Thursday I went to see Incubus at the Fillmore here in Denver, Colorado. The opening act was Albert Hammond Jr. They were much better then I had anticipated. There sound was much like the Gin Blossoms.

Before I review this Incubus show I should tell you that I have seen Incubus four times before last weeks show. They are one of the best live bands that I have ever seen. Some bands play in a way that makes a song all jumbled up and difficult to follow along. Incubus has never had that problem. They also have a talent for mixing up a song as in playing an acoustic version of a song from a disc. Or they might let the DJ put a funky groove to it.

All that being said, it’s now on with the show. It all started off fine and packed with all the energy that I have come to expect from an Incubus show. In typical fashion there would be parts of the song that Brandon would let the crowd sing and I was proud to see that we nailed whatever song he was singing. After about the third song my wife mention to me that Brandon looks skinny and kinda sick. I told her I didn’t think so. Boy…was I wrong! It didn’t take long before he would disappear after each song for about 3 to 5 minutes. He never did mention why he would leave the stage but I would assume that it was because his voice was giving him problems. As he would come back he would speak to all the band members. My guess is that he was changing the song as I heard more acoustic and slow paced songs then ever at an Incubus show. They played If I remember right five songs from Light Grenades which was all good quality. The show as to be expected was shorter then normal and we missed out on some of my favorite songs that they usually play. The rest of the band was dynomite as always. It all was a bit disappointing but I give many props to the band for continuing on with the show and still making it worth my money. If you only see one or two concerts a year you should make Incubus a must see.

Enjoy Incubus

Its now your turn, tell us about who you just saw.

Last edited:
Thanks to youtube you can see that even though he wasn't at his best...we and he still can rock the house! It was crazy fun.

Well, the last concert I saw was indeed a while back. I may be showing my age (a solid 20 years old), but it was indeed a Van Hagar (Van Halen with Sammy Hagar) concert here at the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids.

To put it mildly, I believe my friends and I were probably the youngest people in the building. All of us being pretty hardcore Van Halen fans (I'm more of a DLR guy), we couldn't wait for the show. The warm-up band was pretty good, forgettable at best, but once the show started, things got rocking pretty quickly. They played all of the Van Hagar favorites, pretty much the 5150 album. There were a few of the origional hits thrown in there as well, but it just isn't the same without DLR out front. Then Eddie threw down "Eruption," and it literally blew my mind away watching him play it live. Absolutely amazing.

But, the big problem was the sound of everything. For some reason the amps were cranked up to eleven when they only needed to be at 10 (by comparison, Van Halen was outdoing a previous Ted Nugent and ZZ Top Concert I had seen at the Van several weeks earlier). Everything just seemed to be out of whack when it came to the audio. The guitar was too loud, Hagar was even louder, it just didn't sound "right" as compared to other bands I've seen.

...That doesn't mean I didn't love every minute of it. Van Halen is still probably one of my favorite bands, ever, and the concert was nothing short of amazing. Best American rock band? Maybe. Best concert I've ever seen? Almost...

After it was done, we waited at the back of the Arena to get autographs, but it was a no-go. However we did get to hang-out with the warm-up band, and that was pretty cool.

I saw that but it wasn't about recent shows as much as bringing up good...or...bad shows in the past. I was hoping to hear about bands and shows that are currently touring so that we may check them out as the band comes to our cities.

I do have some good old stories of concerts from back in the day that I could add to that thread....MONSTERS OF ROCK....WOOOOHOOO! Metallica, Van Halen, Scorpians, Dokken and Kingdom Come all in one day....Yes...that was the show of all shows!

I saw that but it wasn't about recent shows as much as bringing up good...or...bad shows in the past. I was hoping to hear about bands and shows that are currently touring so that we may check them out as the band comes to our cities.

I do have some good old stories of concerts from back in the day that I could add to that thread....MONSTERS OF ROCK....WOOOOHOOO! Metallica, Van Halen, Scorpians, Dokken and Kingdom Come all in one day....Yes...that was the show of all shows!
If this thread was about current & upcoming shows, I think it would've worked out OK, but basically, both threads are about shows you've already seen, but whatever. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm finally going to go see the Snow Patrol next week. I have missed them twice so far, I got lucky this time, getting the ticket just one week prior to the show. It's general admission/floor, they are all G.A. "OK Go" is opening the show.

Venue is the Memorial Coliseum, which is where my favorite team, Portland Trail Blazers used to play. I've never been there for a concert, so it should be interesting. My other first is that I will be going to this show by myself, at least for now. Tickets are kinda spendy, not initially, but after they bend-u-over for 2 service charges, then either a w/c fee or shipping( :lol: ). I picked it up in person from the venue, it was around $41.

I've heard Snow Patrol's great live, so I can't wait!

If this thread was about current & upcoming shows, I think it would've worked out OK,

DING! Thats what I am hoping for. If you come back and tell me that Snow Patrol is great...then I just might have to check them out when they come to my city. See how it works. I'm not talking about posting any show that isn't CURRENTLY touring.

I had to suffer with my daughter and watch the PCD, so i can tell you what NOT to see. :sly:
But when i took my son to see Nelly Furtado, i was pleasently suprised! There is some talent in that little gal and it was a good show!
Off to see Faithless in 10 days so will report back on that!

Yea, I was going to an Incubus show recently, but Brandon was so sick that they had to postpone the show. Now I have tickets for their last tour date, after the world tour. Hopefully he'll be healthy then.

But the last concert I saw was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They were fantastic and exceeded my already high expectations.

Check out my mini-review here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92520

OK. Yesterday, i went to Iron Maiden, here in Athens. I don't have words to explain. Complete chaos. I was in the front, where the fanatics are, and i was afraid of my life, honestly. They started with 3 songs from the new album, and they made a surprise with the Wrathchild. Crazy. :scared: :scared: :scared:
The most dangerous part was in the epilogue, with "Hallowed be thy name". They said they the may come next year, and I'm sure I'll go. 👍 :sly:

OK. Yesterday, i went to Iron Maiden, here in Athens. I don't have words to explain. Complete chaos. I was in the front, where the fanatics are, and i was afraid of my life, honestly. They started with 3 songs from the new album, and they made a surprise with the Wrathchild. Crazy. :scared: :scared: :scared:
The most dangerous part was in the epilogue, with "Hallowed be thy name". They said they the may come next year, and I'm sure I'll go. 👍 :sly:

Nice...I've been to a few of those shows that I needed to get to safer ground.

I finally got to see Snow Patrol, and they did not dissapoint. If you get a chance to see them live, I recommend it. 👍

WOW!
i went to see Faithless last night and they were mind blowing!
There were seven screens displaying mind blowing images and visions of skeletons and such were projected over the crowd. they only did four tracks from the All New Arrivals album but the classics such as Insomnia and We Come One were there too. the crowd was easily 5,000 strong and the adrenalin could be smelt! there was never a moment that the crowd weren't jumping and dancing. I saw people leave dripping with sweat as was i!
Anyone thinking of seeing a live band this year should do a Faithless concert. It was a top class performance and i'm still on come down the following morning!!!!

I went to see Bagster, Guttermouth and Reel Big Fish last night. First of all - It was an awesome show.

I had never actully heard of Bagster previously, but they put on a good show, dispite the fact that their setup wasn't top-notch, so we didn't get to hear the vocals very well. The bassist also played the bass like a guitar so it sometimes over-rided the guitair. The horn section was great, the man on trumbone did some gnarly solos.

Guttermouth started off with their expected offensivness after a kid infront of me blew a kiss to Mark (the lead singer) which made him "very uncomfortable", that incident kept a running joke throughout the show, for instance during the song Do the Hustle, I don't really want to write out the lyrics as they're not quite appropriate for this forum. But if you've heard the song you might get an idea of what line I'm talking about. :lol:
Once again, the setup wasn't too good, but better than what Bagster had, we could hear the instruments very well, but I could barely hear Marks voice.

After a long wait Reel Big Fish came out triumphantly to a wild croud. Their show was by far the highlight of the night. Third times a charm as the setup was finally right, we could hear the instruments and vocals very well. Not much else to say other than they were great!

I was also very impressed with The Aquabats being played before the show had started, just hoping its some sort of hint that The Aquabats are coming down-under! :lol:

My view on The View - Kentish Town Forum, London 21/04/07​

Maybe I'm just getting old, or musicians are getting younger, but a gig that is over by 9.55 pm is quite an odd thing in the world of rock and roll, and I got the feeling that 90% of the audience were already out past their bedtimes. My friend Stuart bought me a ticket to go and see The View, a new band currently making it big here in the UK, and originally from Scotland. Doors opened at 6pm, so we turned up fashionably late (7pm) only to find that The View were not on until 9pm, with no less than three support acts. We all but missed the first band, and they seemed to be a fairly anonymous bunch of school children who had found some musical instruments a few weeks ago. The second support act were called 'The Law', and I couldn't help thinking that this was precisely who we should be calling to report this band for blatant visual plagerism - the lead singer being a complete Liam Gallagher clone, and the bass player looking suspiciously like Noddy Holder from Slade. However, their guitarist was exceptional, although sadly wasted in a second rate band like The Law. The lead singer also badly blotted his copybook by chanting "Ooh Ah, up the 'Ra", a sectarian chant (in support of the Irish terrorist organisation, the IRA) - inexcusably stupid in London... :rolleyes:

However, the 3rd support act were in danger of stealing the show - albeit for all the wrong reasons. "The Towers Of London" are a punk band who are part Sex Pistols, part Spinal Tap, and whose lead singer, Johnny Tourette, appeared on Celebrity Big Brother last year. Not unexpectedly, they were unbelievably bad - beer and plastic beer glasses rained down on the band for the whole half hour they played, and after some nasty exchanges with individuals in the crowd, they were greeted with a torrent of abuse and booing. The Towers didn't exactly greet their treatment with good grace, either. They threw glasses back into the crowd, spat at them, and even threw lit cigarettes at people in the audience. What was more disturbing was the fact that the crowd clearly were loving it - a pretty revealing look at the lower budget side of the music industry. Third rate musicians playing fourth rate songs, this was more pantomime than anything else.

Finally, The View turned up and played their entire repertoire, which lasted all of 55 minutes. An accomplished band they may be, but their inexperience showed several times - not least a couple of false starts to some songs, and technical problems with their instruments added to their troubles. Once in their stride, however, they got the crowd behind them. But The View suffered from a lack of material, and a definite lack of originality (a few of their songs sound suspiciously familiar, especially their hit single, 'Same Jeans' which sounds exactly like Cornershop's 'Brimful of Asha' for example), and despite some great, performances (particularly by the frontman/lead singer Kyle Falconer, they couldn't hide the fact that they are still not quite there yet... their drummer had a definite tendency to slow down after the first frenzied bars of several songs, for instance. Also, as if to 'showcase' the talents of the rest of the band, they swapped the configuration around for a couple of songs, and let their bassist play a song he had 'written for my girlfriend', which was quite simply appalling - unfortunately, with as few songs to offer as they do, they could scarcely afford to discriminate or chop down their set any further.

All in all, it was a pretty interesting night, but unlike some recent gigs I've seen, this one failed to sway my previously held opinion that I'm not a great fan of The View, and especially not The Towers of London. Seeing the latter in concert, however, is an experience that I'm glad I've had - but for the wrong reasons. Watching them is like seeing a car crash - everyone has a morbid fascination to 'see what happens', when you know fine that you'll either be sickened, disgusted, dismayed etc, but you watch it anyway. For that reason, I'm glad I've seen them, if only so I know why to avoid them in the future. As for The View, we can hopefully expect more from them - but their inexperience, lack of character on stage, and short set, made for a decidely underwhelming concert.

Talking of support bands, at Nelly Furtado there was a band called Unkle Jam. They were amazing! Kind of pop/funk/soul/jazz and lots of extreme screaming thrown in for good measure! on their second single since then, and its just getting better! I never miss a single and have joined their blog!

give them a listen, you wont be disappointed

Me and my friends heard that some random Nirvana tribute band called Lithium were playing in town, so decided that being a Wednesday night, it was an order to get piss wasted and go enjoy some music. Like most other outings downtown, the trip there is the most fun. This was no exeption, took us a good 15 minutes deciding on our potent potables. We settled on something tasty, hopped on the public transit and headed over to the venue. At first it was hard finding the place, but once we got there, it was even harder finding a safe place to consume our apple juice. We found a comfy doorstpe and enjoyed our special sauce, and then headed back to the venue.

We got there just as the band hit the first downstroke (can't remember the track - it wasn't a single), decided we needed more ammunition and hit up the house bar for some brew. After downing those, we demanded to hear Love Buzz. Fortunately, they actually played it for us, so we got the whole house a little more rowdy.

The rest of the show was pretty great, until I got one of the lenses of my glasses popped out somewhere on the floor. I had almost given up hope when I see a little glisten, push people away, and behold, my lost lens. I was the happiest person in the building at that moment.

In the end it was a great night full of laughter, Cobain, and a whole lot of beer. Thoroughly enjoyed my night.

Explosions In The Sky

Totally different atmosphere. They rocked our pretty hard but the set seemed short. Thoughts on the crowd: "I don't move around when I go to shows. I must be emo."

Last Friday: RISE AGAINST with Silverstein, Comeback Kid, and Only Crime.

Great show from start to finish. Full of energy, Comeback Kid and Rise were the best bands IMO. Only Crime was rad, Never even heard of them before, but they were great. Rise against put on Such a rad show. Their new guitarist (used to be In Only Crime) fit in well. Rise played possibly the best set they could. All the songs were great. Even had an acoustic cover of Jawbreaker's Tour Song. It was a great experience well worth the 25.50 to get in.. Also, it was my first concert and everything went well, Was right up in front, had the best view of the stage. I can't wait for my next one.

Yesterday: Queens of the Stoneage @ Vienna

it was such a great show, the music, the mood, the crowd...............words can't describe my feelings/impressions. i really can recommend a QotSa-concert to all out there!

viper

(a little late)

I went to Warped tour When it came to Dallas. Most of The bands I saw were awesome, but a lot of the other bands were TERRIBLE. (Paramore, Cute Is What We Aim For, Yellowcard, etc.) It was super hot resulting in a 2nd degree burn on the back of my neck. it sucked, but was worth it... I guess.

I saw:
Big D And The Kids Table: Meh, it was ok. The sound was a little off, and there was too much weed. :yuck:

Revolution Mother: Awesome, Awesome, Awesome band. Their lead singer is Mike Vallely (a pro skater) and they play really agressive angry music. It was good. 👍

Coheed And Cambria: Pretty good. Didn't really get close enough to really review it, sound was really nice. and they have awesome guitar players.

Tiger Army: FREAKIN SWEET. They put on such a great show. The Stand up bass is awesome, and they are slowly becoming one of my favorite bands.

The Vincent Black Shadow. Sucked.

Bad Religion: BEST SHOW EVER. They are so awesome. Played Sorrow, which is one of my favorite songs of all time. They joke around on stage which is a plus as well.

Bayside: Their good. Not one of my favorites, but pretty good.

Pennywise: Awesome. Really energetic.

The Starting Line..... EWWW. My girlfriend dragged me over there. They really are terrible. It's kinda sad.

We left early due to everyone being tired and burned, so I didn't get to see Killswitch Engage, which I wanted to see, but I was waaay too tired.

Overall, it was a good experience. Saw a lot of cool bands, and Got punched in the head in the Tiger Army pit. It was fun.

8/10

Symphony X- July 29, Slim's in San Francisco

Openers were Echoes of Eternity and Sanctity

I got there just before Echoes of Eternity started. The show was in the heart of the SF gay district, at Slim's, a club with about 300 people, packed. The singer of Echoes of Eternity (who is female) said she'd never seen so many assless chaps in the neighborhood! :lol::yuck: I never heard them before but I thought they were pretty good, kind of repetitive but a good metal act. They played for about 45 minutes. Sanctity was up next, they were a lot heavier, louder, and more aggressive than EoE. They were fun, and their lead guitarist was pretty good (and obsessed with his whammy bar). About halfway through the set, the singer asked the crowd "How many of you are wearing earplugs?" A few people said yes and he said "The point of metal concerts is to lose your ****ing hearing!" Typed out it isn't really funny, but it was hilarious at the show. :lol: They ended, and there was a long break before Symphony X started, maybe 30 mins or so. The first song they played was "Occulus en Inferni" the first track on the new album. It was awesome, and they played about an hour and a half. I'd say about half of the new album was played and they did a great job doing it. Another good part was when they did the first track off of the Odyssey album, the name escapes me at the moment. The best part, unquestionably, was the encore: the 20-minute epic "The Odyssey." The crowd was chanting "Od-des-ey" before the band came out again. They started playing it, my jaw was on the floor for the whole 20 minutes. Such an amazing song. I can guarantee it was the show highlight for 95% of the people attending.

My ears rang for 2 days following that show.

Overall score:

Echoes of Eternity- 7/10
Sanctity- 8/10
Symphony X- 15/10

Overall 30/30 :dopey:

Amy MacDonald at king tuts,great gig only 300 people there and was invited to go backstage before and after the gig.have met amy 7 times before so she knew who i was but it was the first time i had met her friends and the rest of her band and when one of them asked if i had seen amy before,amy managed to remember all the ones i had been to from the times she seen me! crowd loved her and were dancing and singing along all the way.love these small ones much better feeling at them than the bigger arena stuff.

dscf0493vv8.jpg

dscf0494df1.jpg

dscf0497wg2.jpg

dscf0499ho6.jpg

dscf0501bu9.jpg

dscf0502nl2.jpg

dscf0507bl7.jpg

dscf0511lf2.jpg

dscf0521sd8.jpg

dscf0522vf0.jpg

and in the green room after the gig! 8-)
dscf0526sp8.jpg

This is the life/poison prince
The road to home
Mr Rock and Roll
Barrowland Ballroom

Bad Religion: BEST SHOW EVER. They are so awesome. Played Sorrow, which is one of my favorite songs of all time. They joke around on stage which is a plus as well.

Great to hear they put on an awesome show, I'm seeing them in November. 👍

Yeah, Authority Zero was there. I didn't get a chance to see them, but I met a few of the band members because they were walking around all day promoting.

The singer, Jason Devore, is maried to my friend's sister. We were at his cottage this summer, and Jason showed up with his acoustic, some speakers and a drum kit, so we had a private concert two nights in a row. It was sweet, sitting out on the balcony in the sun with 30 or 40 people listening to some really great rock music. I haven't heard much studio Authority Zero stuff, but he's pretty damn good and also an amazing guy.

What a great night.

Back