Review your last concertMusic 

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 261 comments
Overall a great gig and highly recommend seeing them if you get a chance. 👍

I saw them earlier this year and have to agree with that, a great live band (better live than on album I would say).

👍

Scaff

Muse - The Resistance Tour - The o2 Arena, London - 12th November

This gig was absolutely incredible, the noise, the athmosphere, the arena, the band, it was incredible! Queued for 6 hours and got pretty near the front, stage is real close to the front of the crowd so gotan amazing view of the guys. The stage setup was incredible with 3 platforms, 1 for each band member, which could each go up aqnd down and were used very well throughout the gig. Each platform tower was also a giant video screen so in the up position the visuals from the screen at the back were also on the towers, a lot of the time being an extension to the visual or something diffeerent. The setlist was great, couple of suprises, Unintended and Nishe for example. Helsinki Jam was incredible, Dom (drums) and Chris (Bass) both on Doms platform, busting pout an amazing drum and bass riff, whilst the platform lifted up and did slow 360's whilst they played, very epic. All in all an amazing gig, its the first time I have seen them live and they didnt disappoint. 10/10

Full set: (cant remember the order for some of it)
Intro (we are the universe)
Uprising
Resistance
Map of the Probelmatique
Guiding Light
Undisclosed Desires
New Born
Starlight
United States of Eurasia
Feeling Good
Supermassive Black Hole
Unnatural Selection
Unintended
Interlude + Hysteria
Helsinki Jam (Drum and Bass riff)
Plug in Baby
Stockholm Syndrome
Exogenesis Pt 1: Overture
Man with a Harmonica + Knights of Cydonia

Just thought I would share this little story.

In the late '70's when I was a student at London University, my two closest friends went on a trip to Ireland for a couple of weeks. When they came back they mentioned that they had spent a few nights at a pub in Dublin where they had become friendly with some scrawny local lads who had formed a band. A few months later this band came to London for the first time to play some gigs at some small clubs & pubs. My buddies suggested I head out on the Saturday night to see them play, but I declined as I had a hot date.

Pity I didn't go to see them, because as it turned out those lads from Dublin went on to become quite well-known - leader singer with the name Bono ...

Taste Of Chaos Tour (Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Everytime I Die, Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster), 02 Academy, Newcastle, November 30th 2009.

On Monday night I was on the front row of the rockstar taste of chaos tour in Newcastle with Killswitch Engage headlining with In Flames, Everytime I Die & Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster supporting. One of the best nights of my life.

I had never heard of Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster before the night, but I liked them. Certainly a bit different to the other bands, can't remember allot about their set though.

Everytime I Die I was interested to hear for the first time having heard they're pretty good, & they were. Some great songs, especially the double bass beats on the drums, pretty intense.

In Flames was another first for me live, another amazing performance. The person right next to me got to go up on stage with the band & record the whole crowd & sing with the singer, lucky dude.

The headliners were Killswitch Engage, I've been waiting for them to come to Newcastle for 3 years now & the wait was well worth it, the backing music stopped & the crowd cheered, & the Benny Hill theme tune started playing backed up by fog horn & elephant guitar noises, certainly not what I was expecting. After 30 seconds of madness, My Curse started playing & the band came on & played an amazing set around 1 hour long with a good range of songs from all their albums. I was singing almost every word & there was a pretty big circle pit right behind me. Adam D was crazy as usual, jumping around the place like a madman. They finished off the set with End Of Heartache, the whole crowd singing along, most amazing sound in the world if you ask me. When it was over, everybody was chanting "We Want More", & after 5 minutes Adam came back on & asked if we wanted another song, then the whole band came back on & finished with their rendition of Holy Diver by Dio.

By the time I got out, I couldn't hear much from being right next to the right speaker stack, the high pitched ringing has just about gone by now, but my voice hasn't recovered. Well worth it for such an amazing night, tickets were only £20 as well. Anyone seeing them in this week on the UK leg of Taste Of Chaos are in for a great night.

Last edited:
The Bravery - The Warfield, San Francisco, CA. November 6th 2009

Setlist:

Unconditional
No Brakes
Adored
Public Service Announcement
Hate 🤬
Tyrant
Believe
Jack O' Lantern Man
Red Hands and White Knuckles
She's So Bendable
Every Word Is A Knife In My Ear
Swollen Summer
Time Won't Let Me Go
Slow Poison
An Honest Mistake

Encore:
The Ocean (Moon Version)
I Have Seen The Future
Fearless

Lots of good and bad things about this concert...

First time we've been to a concert at The Warfield, and having now been spoiled by the atmosphere, acoustics and VIP treatment at The Fox Theater in Oakland, I can't say we'd rush back over here. The place is smaller than The Fox, and the acoustics not so good, something which the sound engineers seemed to try and compensate for by cranking up the volume way, way too much.
Unfortunately this was doubly true of the 2nd support act, more on them in a moment...

The first support band "The Dustys" hailed from Virginia, your average 4 man US garage band. Not my cup of tea, and got their biggest cheer when they asked "Is everyone looking forward to seeing The Bravery?". Were kept at a relatively mellow sound level and not too offensive to the ear.

The second support band "The Living Things" hailed from St. Louis, and franky, should've stayed there. The sooner they're made "The Not Living Anymore Things" the better. ;)
Dire with a capital DIRE.
4 blokes dressed a la 80s Billy Idol in tight black jeans, white Ts & black leather biker jackets, was bad enough, but couple this with the fact that the singer has a Weird Al Yankovic hair-do; and the bassist, well, I've seen more defined legs on a daddy-long-legs.
They proceeded to churn out some of the thrashiest, shouty sort of overdriven rock that's popular in Germany, but seemingly nowhere else. Influenced obviously by Billy Idol, The Ramones and with notes of Joy Division (who I do actually like) their music was not to many folks tastes, and although there were a few die-hard groupies in the crowd. Sadly as mentioned previously, their sound engineer for some reason believes that cranking them to filling-rattling, ear-shrieking volume makes them better. :crazy:
It doesn't. Period. :yuck:

Their only redeeming feature was the comedy array of distorted "white man's overbite" expressions that their drummer went through whilst performing. :lol:

So, it kind of ruined the main act's performance for us while our ears recovered from this onslaught as we'd secured a good viewing spot early and didn't want to move. 👎

The Bravery's performance was top class, with the exception of the first song of the Encore where it appeared their singer had become tone-deaf for the first half of the song. Thankfully he recovered for "Fearless" which was a great way to end.
I was most impressed by the talent of their guitarist who played wicked solos, used various slides to achieve some of his sounds and even played 1 song (I forgot which though) using a sort of violin or cello bow! He also brought out some kind of electronic drum kit which he played in a few of the songs too.
Their familiar stuff went down really well and the stuff from the new album (released December 1st) was well received and seems promising and a good progression, whilst retaining their distinctive sound, albeit it again a little overloudly.

All in all, quite pleased to have seen them and would see them again, especially if they play somewhere else, although I'd be certain to review their support acts more carefully next time, but we were disappointed in the venue & sound quality overall and would leave them with this advice:

1 good support band is better than 1 non-descript one and 1 really 🤬 awful one. ;)

Last edited:
Truly excellent night yesterday.

Them Crooked Vultures at the Hammersmith Apollo (which was a pain the rear to get to through London rush hour traffic, but at least the snow held off).

Them Crooked Vultures, for those that may not know, are made up of Josh Homme on Lead guitar and vocals, Dave Grohl on Drums, John Paul Jones on Bass and Keyboards; and for live stuff the ever excellent Alain Johannes on guitar, keyboards and backing vocals.

Despite currently having only a single albums worth of material the hour and a half set (many tracks being significantly longer live) was simply superb. A nice small venue and four guys for whom the main focus was simply the music they were playing.

4197275697_aaa79320f9.jpg

Not the best picture in the world (blame the phone), but does show the rather nice location we had right at the front, and I have to say its one the best gigs I have been too.

Its rare to get to see musicians of the this caliber up close and was more that worth it as well.

Highlights of the night had to be Scumbag Blues, which is simply an amazing track and even better live; but topping it of even more was the moment when JPJ broke a string on his 8-string bass and immediately switched to finishing the track on the piano, before performing an impromptu piano solo at the end of the track.

Well worth the crappy London traffic and the bloody cold wind for, and I would strongly recommenced a night with TCV if you ever get the chance.

Regards

Scaff

Woo! Someone else has posted! Didn't want to double post, but the week after we saw The Bravery, we went back into the city to see my all-time favourite band play...

They Might Be Giants - The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA. November 13th 2009.

Setlist:

Meet The Elements
Subliminal
Dig My Grave
Cowtown
Birdhouse in Your Soul
Clap Your Hands
Particle Man
The Famous Polka
Damn Good Times
Shoehorn With Teeth
What Is a Shooting Star?
We Live In a Dump
The Mesopotamians
Take Out the Trash
Whistling In the Dark
Hearing Aid
San Francisco
Why Does the Sun Shine?
Science Is Real
My Brother the Ape
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
Where Your Eyes Don't Go
They Might Be Giants

Encore:
Drink!
Don't Let's Start
Graveyard
Fingertips

Encore 2:
Alphabet of Nations
Dead

The Fillmore is a relatively small, but exceedingly famous SF venue that we've visited just once before (also to see TMBG!) and is a very cozy auditorium with mainly standing room throughout. The bars are easily accessible although the merchandise stand is tucked away in a corner and the queue for it tend to block one of the doors and the stairway. There's always a large bowl of fresh red delicious apples at the top of the entrance stairway, which you're amost obliged to help yourself to as part of "The Fillmore experience".

Last time we saw TMBG I ended up liking the support act (Oppenheimer) so much that I scoured Amazon until I found their album, and have since bought their 2nd release too. They're an Irish duo, a drummer / singer & guitarist / keyboardist (oftentimes at the same time!!!) / singer. Thus we weren't totally surprised when The Guggenheim Grotto, another Irish duo turned out to be really good too! A favourite refrain from one of their songs was "Let's get naked and get under the sheets". :D
Needless to say a quick visit to the merchandise stand saw 2 CDs purchased and signed by one of the band members. TMBG it seems have impeccable taste in support acts, something which others (I'm looking at you The Bravery!) could learn much from!

It's now 20 years since TMBG released their 3rd album "Flood" which featured arguably their most famous song "Birdhouse In Your Soul" which was popularised by MTV and became an anthem of many college kids at the time (and indeed since) In fact my first ever concert was TMBG at Sheffield Octagon (UK) back in 1990 (I was just 16!) when they performed much of the Flood album, and to commemorate it's 20th anniversary they've been touring with many "Flood" shows, performing the whole album live.
For SF show they mixed much of "Flood" with many other offerings, including a lot of their lastest release, the awesome kids album "Here Comes Science".
There's just something about a TMBG gig that seems to have the whole crowd bouncing, and this was no exception Flansburgh and Linnell may be a little older now, but they've lost none of the creative & perfoming energy that's always been a trademark of TMBG. Their backup band is phenomenal too, and they also draft in a local musician for the SF gigs who plays an assortment of wind instruments, which makes for an especially long and interesting Middle-Eastern style buildup to "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" such as can be heard on the "Severe Tire Damage" album.
With a catalogue of literally hundreds of songs to choose from it's anyone's guess how they whittle it down to a setlist for a show, but they seemed to play something from just about every album, but kept the "Flood" & "Here Comes Science" tracks prominent.
They now have an association with Disney, and make quite a lot of children's music, and carried this into the show with the appearance of the "Avatars Of They", a couple of sock puppets knitted by one of their wives that they use with a camera and big screen to act silly for a while! Very amusing banter and they performed a couple of songs, one old, one new, while in the "Avatars" personas.

A video of the "Avatars Of They" in action from another gig.​

Crowd reaction to all of the show was excellent, and the band played not one but 2 Encores! All in all almost 2 hours of stage time. :bowdown:
They were handing out free venue posters (something of a hallmark of The Fillmore) on the way out, and I've just recently got ours back from the framing shop, so it's now ready for hanging on the wall somewhere in the house!

tmbg.jpg

All in all, a great gig, and 11/10 for the TMBG concert experience (again!) and I can't wait until next time they're in SF as it's a show not to be missed. 👍👍👍👍👍

Last edited:
They were handing out free venue posters (something of a hallmark of The Fillmore) on the way out, and I've just recently got ours back from the framing shop, so it's now ready for hanging on the wall somewhere in the house!

tmbg.jpg

Wonder when you'll get round to hanging it?:sly:

I didn't mean it like a rule thing. I just wanted to yank your chain. Please...tell us about singing and dancing.

I went to Them Crooked Vultures at Hordern Pavillion in Sydney last night. I'd never actually been to a liver concert before, and I don't think I could have chosen a better performance to lose my live act virginity to. After all, how often do you get to see John Paul Jones playing live? Anyway, my mates and I got in the fourth row, front and centre and I spent the next two hours being blown out of my mind. Josh Homme really knows how to get a crowd fired up, and last night was no exception; it was Australia Day, so he naturally did one of the songs draped with an Australian flag.

The best thing about this band is the music they play. That might sound obvious, but their debut album is the only album I've needed to play several times through to settle on a favourite song because they're all so good. And the live performance was no exception; rather than play everything in order, they mixed it up and improvised in just about evey song as well as playing a few album out-takes. And of course, there's Josh Homme's incredible on-stage energy: he fires the crowd up, and they fire him up. It's like a Mexican standoff, and based on what I've seen, I don't think any audience has ever beaten him in terms of the energy of their performance. It was about as perfect as a concert could be, I think. My only disappointment was that I lost my watch; some idiot was trying to crowd-surf and could only manage it by forcing people down. The other people in the crowd caught me, but when someone is in danger of falling, you grab whatever you can to stop them and don't ask questions. When I went, they grapped my wrist and tore my watch away.

Still, for a performance that good, you have to expect to pay something.

LostProphets - o2 Brixton Academy London - 11/02/2010

I had not actually planned to go to this gig, I didnt even know it was on, but when a friend said someone had backed out on him and he needed someone to fill a spare ticket I jumped at the opportunity.
I have always been a LostProphets fan but never really followed them, so I only really knew of their more popular htis, last train home, rooftops, burn burn etc and a few off the new album, so it was nice to hear some of the stuff I didnt know. The support act (Kids in glass houses) were very good and fired the crowd up nicely for LostProphets. Their whole set was superb, playing all their main hits and a lot of the new album (The Betrayed) and also included a superb cover of The Prodigys "Omen" which got the crowd going a bit...the songs of the show had to be Last Train Home and Rooftops in terms of how much the crowd were fired up but Godzilla stole the show for overall perrformance. All in all a super performance from a very good band.
(sorry im awful at reviewing)

Set:
If It Wasn't For Hate We'd Be Dead By Now
It's Not The End Of The World But I Can See It From Here
Burn Burn
Darkest Blue
A Better Nothing
Omen (The Prodigy cover)
Dstryr / Dstryr
A Thousand Apologies
Next Stop Atro City
Can't Catch Tomorrow (Good Shoes Won't Save You This Time)
Last Summer
For He's A Jolly Good Felon
A Town Called Hypocrisy
We Are Godzilla, You Are Japan
Last Train Home
Where We Belong
Encore:
Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)
Shinobi Vs. Dragon Ninja
The Light That Burns Twice As Bright

Fightstar - Concorde2 Brighton - 09/02/2010
When I heard Fightstar were to be playing at Concorde2 in Brighton, I jumped at the chance to get tickets. £12, cant really go wrong.
Support acts were pretty forgettable, a few local heavy metal bands and a light metal band, none of which were particularly great. Fightstar came on and really bought the house down, a short but hard hitting and excellent set with a great performance from the guys. They sound a lot heavier live than they do on the album, dunno if thats a good or bad thing but its different. Would definately go to see them again if given a chance.

Trivium / Chimaira / White Chapel / Rise To Remain - o2 Academy Newcastle Upon Tyne - 10-03-10

I've been waiting to see Trivium for a couple of years now, & they're were back in Newcastle last night.

The first support band was Rise To Remain, a metalcore band from London, they were really good, unique style, found out afterwards that the vocalist is Bruce Dickinson's son, definitely check them out, they just released an EP. Very clean live performance, they really got the crowd going & even a wall of death halfway through the set.

The second band on was White Chapel, a band that I had never heard before, & to be honest I didn't like them that much, their stuff had no rhythm to it at all which isn't the best live, but I missed most of the set because me & some friends got to meet Trivium! After a couple of white chapel songs, some guy came & took us upstairs to the second stage, where Trivium came out & talked to us all for a bit, they were all really nice guys. One of my friends who works with them had been teaching Matt the singer/guitarist the Geordie accent.

We came back to the main stage just as Chimaira were finishing sound checking, they put of an amazing set, it was my first time seeing them live but I have most of their CDs & knew allot of the songs, they really got the crowd moving & put on a very energetic set.

After Chimaira, there was about 15 minutes break while Trivium set up, then the lights dimmed & everyone started chanting the bands name as their acoustic track "End Of Everything" started playing, then the band came on & played "Rain". After the second song, Matt shouted "Areet Newcastle?" and we shouted "Way aye man!" back. It was a great set list including their new song "Shattering The Skies Above" & a cover "Slave New World". The second to last song was one of their first singles "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation", Matt ordered the crowd to jump, & jump we did, it's pretty cool seeing a room full of 1000 or so people all jumping as high as they can, half way through the song is an epic solo switching between the two guitarists, followed by a very energetic harmony solo & then the breakdown section, with just the bass drum & chants of "Hey! Hey! Hey!". The last song they played was "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr", always an amazing song live, the whole room was moving as a huge circle pit opened up in the middle, the set ended with the band taking a bow & thanking us for coming out to see them, we went home very happy & I'm feeling pretty tired today.

gorillaz-plastic-beach-logo.jpg

Lineup:
Mike Smith - Keyboards
Jesse Hackett - Keyboards
Paul Simonon - Bass (The Clash)
Cass Browne - Drums
Damon Albarn - Guitar, Piano, Vocals (Blur)
Gabriel Wallace - Drums
Geoff Wotton - Guitar
Mick Jones - Rhythm Guitar (The Clash)

Setlist: Orchestral Intro / Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach / Last Living Souls / O Green World / On Melancholy Hill / Kids With Guns / Stylo / Rhinestone Eyes / Broken / Dirty Harry / White Flag / Superfast Jellyfish / Glitter Freeze / Empire Ants / DARE / El Manana / Don't Get Lost In Heaven / Demon Days // To Binge / Feel Good Inc / Clint Eastwood

I managed to reserve 3 tickets for an exclusive G-club warmup show in Birmingham. I was at the front row, an absolutely stonking performance. Damon Albarn was very involved with the crowd, when greeting a couple of people actually got hand grabs from him, I was one of a lucky few and I think it's actually mine in the picture :lol:
23575_1202344952650_1649391850_469665_3945452_n.jpg

I managed to film this too,

They played all the songs they shouldve done in this warmup show for Coachella festival, crowd was around 400 and the tickets were cheap. Can't ask for anything more. Everybody there was amazed at the sheer experience of it all, very intimate and absolutely flawless. 10/10

I was going to see Foreigner at the Frederick fair in Maryland last Fall, but my older brother did not get the tickets. That would have been my "Very First" concert I have ever been to.

Orbital - The Warfield, San Francisco, CA. April 16th 2010

Setlist:

Out There Somewhere Part1
The Moebius
Out There Somewhere Part 2
Lush 3
Lush (Euro Tunnel Disaster 94 mix)
Impact
Remind
Satan
Belfast
Chime
Crime
Know Where to Run
Halcyon+On+On
One Perfect Sunrise

Encore:

The Box
Doctor ?

What a way to begin the concert-going year for 2010! :D
After their split in 2004, I'd lost hope of ever being able to see Orbital live, however, after reuniting for The Big Chill festival in 2009, they announced some tour dates for 2010 and SF was included. Needless to say when my colleague contacted me with this news, I wasn't going to miss the opportunity!
Being at The Warfield, and given our previous experience here, I was a little anxious that the sound system wouldn't do them justice.
There was no support act, just a mixing desk to the side of Orbital's rig and a set of 4 DJs who'd take it in turns to mix tunes until Orbital came on around 10:30pm.
While I usually attend gigs with my Missus and we steer clear of the dancefloor close to the stage as she's not keen on the crowded environment, she didn't want to see Orbital and I went with my workmate instead. Consequently, we spent the full 2hr set dancing away in the 2nd row back from the stage! Being so close to the speaker stacks I did get the ringing in my right ear for a day after the show, but it also made it impossible to critique the sound system properly!
The setlist was a good mix of early ambience and more famous tunes such as Chime, Satan & Belfast and built up to the One Perfect Sunrise climax.
The encore of The Box and a newly updated mix of the Doctor Who theme went down well and it was hard to believe that it was almost 12:30am when we left the venue!

Overall I'd rate the gig very highly, and would definitely see Orbital again if they come back this way. 👍

(Another online reviewer's thoughts and a picture of the stage from his vantage point on the 2nd floor.)

I just got back from seeing the band Phoenix. They played at the Verizon Wireless Theater in Downtown Houston.

The opening act was a band from Northern Ireland, named The Two Door Cinema Club. They were very good! I might eventually get their album.

Phoenix was AMAZING!! They had a fantastic set list. Their encore was 1901, and it was probably the best song I've ever seen live! If they come through your town, buy tickets!👍👍

Converge/Coalesce/Gaza/Black Breath

Last Saturday at Trees in Dallas.

Black Breath was the opener on this tour. They were very odd and seemed to mix many styles of metal / hardcore that didn't seem to mix well (the guitar leads sounded like black metal riffs, but there were hardcore breakdowns...) Gaza was next. Gaza are intense. That's about all that can be said about them. Coalesce was up, and they were awesome. I have never heard them before as I was there solely on loving Converge, but they are definately a band to check out. Their guitar player was a bit crazy. Then Converge. Converge tore that club up! The pit was ridiculous, and they put on a great show. They have plenty of stage banter and they are always smiling which is odd considering how dark sounding their music is. The thing about converge is if you can't understand the lyrics on record, there is no way you will live. They are definately a band for losing your **** and bouncing around.

Great show, lots of fun. Not worth the 23 bucks at the door. Damn you under 21 prices! I only have about a month of X's on my hand, and I am stoked to be through with that. Check out this tour if it rolls through. Coalesce is no longer with the tour though.

Mike Doughty (with special guest Christina Courtin) - Cave Creek, AZ - 2/27/10

First, the setlist - the Question Jar will be explained in the review:

Tremendous Brunettes
Like a Luminous Girl
Busting Up a Starbucks
---Question Jar---
Put It Down
White Lexus
Sunken-Eyed Girl
---Question Jar---
(You Should Be) Doubly (Gratified)
Year of the Dog
---Question Jar---
Looks
Shunned + Falsified
(I Want To) Burn You (Down)
---Question Jar---
Madeline and Nine
Unsingable Name
Pleasure On Credit
---Question Jar---
40 Grand In the Hole
Down on the River By the Sugar Plant
I Hear the Bells
---Question Jar---
I Just Want the Girl In the Blue Dress to Keep on Dancing
Nectarine (Part Two)
I Keep On (Rising Up)
Train to Chicago
Looking At the World From the Bottom of a Well
---Fake Encore Break and Question Jar---
27 Jennifers

The review itself: Having been a fan of Brooklyn's Mike Doughty (former Soul Coughing singer) since 2005, and having bought most of his albums in that time, I had been waiting for a long time to get to see him in person. Well, February 27, 2010 was the day the wait ended. Mike Doughty brought his popular Question Jar show to Cave Creek, which is a touristy cowboy town about 20 miles northeast of Phoenix. It appears I wasn't the only person that was waiting for a live appearance, as around 250 people or so packed tightly into the Buffalo Chip Saloon & Steakhouse for a fun night of acoustic rock music. The show was originally scheduled to be at the venue at Cave Creek Coffee Company (or C4 as the locals call it) down the street, but depending on who you speak to, it was either moved due to rain or because they simply oversold and didn't anticipate the demand would be so high.

Regardless of how one looks at it, the show started on time and Brooklyn's Christina Courtin came on stage to do an opening set. I had never heard of her before, so I didn't know what to expect. She had a high, kind of scratchy voice and played violin when she wasn't singing. Her accompanying guitarist (his first name is Ryan; I unfortunately don't remember his last name) did some background and harmony vocals and he was very good. Ryan was also able to do one of his originals during the set; Christina harmonized during this one. Christina's set included several songs from her debut self-titled album ("Green Jay", "Foreign Country", "One Man Down"), some older tunes she had previously written ("Blue Collar Man" and "Varsity"), and as mentioned, one of Ryan's originals titled "Ebb and Flow". There were maybe one or two more; I can't remember the titles of them, sorry.

After her set was over, no time was wasted in getting things set up for Mike Doughty. His band member and duo partner Andrew "Scrap" Livingston did a sound check and then gave instructions and information regarding the Question Jar. Doughty's set began close to 8 PM, with a nice version of "Tremendous Brunettes", available on his 2005 album Haughty Melodic. A rare live rendition of Golden Delicious's "Like a Luminous Girl" followed. It was more subdued and dour sounding than on the album. Several of his songs do, actually. "Busting Up a Starbucks" followed "Luminous Girl", and it was as great as it's ever been.

The first round of questions from the Question Jar came after "Busting". The Question Jar works like this: Write (just about) anything on a little piece of paper and stick it in the jar. Mike and Scrap will do their best to answer them during breaks in the set. This lack of rules leads to some very random and strange questions being asked. However, it leads to funny (and occasionally potentially offensive) banter. One such question in the first round was "Which song has the best guitar solo of all time?".

Mike's answer: "Stairway to Heaven. Yeah, I ****in' said it! There's kids in the front row, but that was just a warning. There will be a lot of ****'s tonight!".

This cycle of two or three songs and another round of questions went on for the remainder of the show. The second set of three songs were "Put It Down", "White Lexus" and then "Sunken-Eyed Girl". Unfortunately with the Question Jar, along with the funny questions there are some lame ones too, and that leads to either boring or not so good answers. This happened during round two of questions, and again later on.

The first two songs from Mike's latest album Sad Man Happy Man came next; "(You Should Be) Doubly (Gratified)" and a very rare live performance of "Year of the Dog". "Doubly Gratified" has the catchiness and repetitiveness of the songs on his album Golden Delicious, and "Year of the Dog" is reminiscent of songs featured on his first solo album Skittish. Other new songs played at the show were "(I Want To) Burn You (Down)", "Pleasure On Credit" (by request), "Nectarine (Part Two)" and "(I Keep On) Rising Up".

Also played included rarities in Rockity Roll's "40 Grand In the Hole" and Mike's cover of Drink Me's "Train to Chicago", as well as fan favorites "Madeline and Nine", "Unsingable Name", "Looking At the World From the Bottom of a Well" and "27 Jennifers", and interesting versions of "Down on the River By the Sugar Plant" and "I Hear the Bells" with Scrap playing electric guitar instead of his normal cello. The latter song had an extended solo, by the way.

By far the best question of the night was saved for next to last. It was also one of mine. I asked Mike what was the strangest place he's ever done a show. His answer? "Well actually, there's this cowboy bar in Cave Creek, AZ...". He continued and hilarity ensued.

Post-show, I made my way to the merchandise table. Mike was there sigining things and he signed my Sad Man Happy Man cover. In addition I bought a copy of the show and he also signed one of the discs that came with that. I was able to tell him how long I'd waited to see him play and I got a handshake too. I did want to tell him how his music has influenced my own work and I intended to do that, but the place was packed and it was quite cramped up there. Oh well. Hopefully there's a next time and it's sooner rather than later.

Goldfrapp - Fox Theater, Oakland, CA. 26th June 2010.

Setlist:

Voicething
Crystalline Green
I Wanna Life
A&E
You Never Know
Head First
Number 1
Dreaming
Believer
Alive
Shiny and Warm
Train
Ride a White Horse
Ooh La La

Encore:

Utopia
Black Cherry

Encore 2:

Rocket
Strict Machine

I've been a Goldfrapp fan for a while, through her various guises, since discovering a track on a Cafe Del Mar compilation. My wife isn't too keen on her older stuff, the very Tyrolean influenced Felt Mountain album with it's yodelling and what have you, however, given that the latest album Head First has a lot of '80s synthpop sound to it, and she's a Kylie Minogue fan, she gets along with the newer stuff pretty well. It's catchy, if at some points a little cheesy to the point where I could easily see it slotting into a "Weird Science" or "Beverley Hills Cop" soundtrack!
Back at the Fox again for the first time this year (next up Keane, again and The Chemical Brothers) the venue still impresses every time.

There was no support act, bar a warmup DJ who, much like the guy at the Kylie gig that itgirlxx saw here played a lot of upbeat dance music to appeal to the largely gay/lesbian crowd. (Alison Goldfrapp is in a homosexual relationship herself, so it's not surprising she's got a big following, and this being the Bay Area, there are quite a lot about and there were some typically ostentatious outfits to be seen, men in heavy eyeliner, huge earrings and high heels, not to mention one guy in a massive pink tutu! :crazy:)

The stage set seemed to consist of a massive inflatable silver 1/2 donut which was illuminated from both the front and back, and at one point in the show actually began to collapse onto the drummer! Ooops. Soon got fixed & reinflated though, but didn't escape Alison's notice as she dismissed it with an "Oh, well!" at the end of the song she was performing at the time!
goldfrappstage.jpg

She underwent costume changes between the encores, and I was seriously impressed with her vocal range in getting "Utopia" spot on in the first, mellower encore, before coming back out for a more bouncy 2nd encore with "Rocket" & a dance remix of "Strict Machine".

Overall pretty impressed, but was disappointed that she didn't play "Happiness" off the Seventh Tree album. :(
Very amused by the fact that one of her principal backing musicians who played the electric guitar, handheld synth and violin at various points had about the same stature and appearance as Baldrick circa Blackadder The Third, which kept us giggling for a while.
"Look, Baldrick's got a violin now!" :D

Last edited:
What did you think of her [Kylie's] new song? I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the new album.

I really liked it. Very catchy; may be another dance-floor classic.

BTW - That song, and the album is comes from, has come out. After listening to the new album I think I'll be picking it up.

Edit:

Smallhorses,

I've heard of Goldfrapp before, I'm familiar with several of their songs. You're inspired me to check them out a bit further.

Last edited:
Rammstein, Festival D'été de Québec 2010, July 18th, Québec, Canada

The unofficial setlist :
1. Rammlied
2. B*******
3. Waidmanns Heil
4. Keine Lust
5. Feuer frei!
6. Weisses fleisch
7. Wiener Blut
8. Frühling in Paris
9. Ich tu dir weh
10. Liebe ist für alle da
11. Links 2-3-4
12. Haifisch
13. Du hast
14. Pussy
15. Benzin
16. Sonne
17. Ich will
————–
18. Seemann
19. Rosenrot
20. Engel

It was the only place we could see them in whole north america. They came at the "Festival D'été de Québec", which is basically a multi-stage music festival that last 11 days. I also saw The Arcade Fire, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Black Eyed Peas, Santana, Apocalyptica, Think About Life, Phantogram & Passion Pit. Anyways, you can read more over there : http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/2010/jul/20/ten-reasons-festival-dete-is-canadas-coolest-best-music-festival

I'm not a big fan of Rammstein myself, but after seeing this show, it surely made me appreciate more Rammstein. Tons of special effects, apparently more than 400 pyrotechnic pieces only for this show. More than a 100,000 people assisted the show. Amazing.

I'm not sure I could do a great review of this show as I don't know very well Rammstein, but I thought that their show was very theatrical. I went there because I knew they always make big shows and they are well known for that. And the way the festival works is, you pay something like $50 and you have acces to all the shows, so I had no reason to miss it.

Last edited:
Last concert we went to was free. Chevelle and Papa Roach. Chevelle wasnt too bad but to my surprise Papa Roach put on a pretty good show. That guy has a ton of energy on stage. And like I said, it was free. 👍

I am hoping Disturbed comes around. I really want to see them.

I was at T In The Park last weekend, I'll list the people I managed to see.

Florence & The Machine
Muse

Kitty The Lion
Astral Planes
Shed Seven
Paolo Nutini
Stereophonics
Eminem

Ellie Goulding
Baby Shambles
Biffy Clyro
Jay-Z
Kasabian

I'm not a rap fan, but Eminem totally blew me away, I wasn't expecting him to put on a show like that. He wasn't playing full songs but actually little bits of his older songs and his new stuff in full. In the end I think he played 29 or 30 songs, I'll post a few links to his performance.

So it's going to be a concert triple post from me, and more to come soon! :guilty:

First up...

Keane - Fox Theater, Oakland, CA. - July 20th 2010.

Setlist:-

Again & Again
Bend and Break
Everybody's Changing
Your Love
Nothing In My Way
Clear Skies
This Is the Last Time
Stop For A Minute
Try Again
Hamburg Song
You Haven't Told Me Anything
Spiralling
Is It Any Wonder?
A Bad Dream
Perfect Symmetry
Somewhere Only We Know
Bedshaped

Encore:

My Shadow
Crystal Ball

This is the second time we've seen Keane at The Fox Theater and, my word, what a difference!!!
When we saw them last year, they were musically excellent, but their stage presence and showmanship was sadly lacking when compared to some of the other shows we'd seen from Franz Ferdinand & Snow Patrol for example.

This time round it was the opening night for their latest US tour, and in the 18 months or so that they've been away, they've clearly worked hard on improving their visual appeal to match their aural splendour.
The stage this time had a large black banner at the back with just "KEANE" written on it in huge letters, and the lighting rig illuminated the band in many colours throughout the show, as well as 4 or 5 bright strobes from behind the band which shone out into the crowd during several songs.
Midway through the show the first stage banner was stripped down by the roadies, to show another banner imprinted with a massive logo of a train with headlights on, the image from their latest EP/album (it was sold as an EP in Europe, but marketed as an album (somewhat disappointingly short!) in the US) "Night Train". Again the lighting rig did an impressive job of making the headlight beams change colour from yellow / orange to blue / green and many shades inbetween.
The band performed really well, Tom's vocals were good, and he seems to have opened up a lot more from the shy performer he was last time, much more expressive this time, and spent a lot of time jumping up onto various monitor amps & speakers around the stage and encouraging crowd participation. He also joked that Tim (the pianist) was trying to steal his job, as he was allowed to perform one of the new songs from "Night Train" as lead vocalist.

Definitely a 10 out of 10 performance this time! 👍

They were also supported by 2 good acts, a really nice bonus being Fran Healy of Travis. He's releasing a solo album shortly, so he played a set consisting of songs from the new release and some of the great Travis songs such as Driftwood & Writing To Reach You. He was unsupported on stage, so played all songs with only an acoustic guitar or piano as accompaniment, and had a good rapport with the crowd between songs, explaining things about why & when he'd written them, telling stories about how he'd ripped off the chords for Writing To Reach You from an Oasis song "Wonderwall", and was later complemented by Noel Gallagher on the "great chords" in the tune (and the fact that he gives a little nod to the origin in the lyrics "What's a Wonderwall anyway?")
He's clearly a little new to many of his solo tracks and had a few comical false starts and mid-tune missed chords which he was able to laugh off good naturedly with the audience. Will certainly look out for his solo album. 👍

The second support act was Ingrid Michealson who comes with a full 5 piece support band and an obsession with her boobs & gravity, which she talked about a lot between songs. She sang well, and played a ukelele for some tunes, and bizarrely did a ukelele solo performance of Radiohead's "Creep" which was "interesting"! She also did impromptu performances of "Ice Ice Baby" & "The Fresh Prince of Belair" in the warmup to her most well known song (apparently, we'd never heard of her before) and the band did a cover of Brittany Spears' "Toxic" complete with choreographed dance routine as their final number.
Definitely an eclectic and "kooky" performance, quite entertaining, but not someone I'd rush out to look for a CD from, although itgirlxx might.

Last edited:
The Guggenheim Grotto - Hotel Utah, San Francisco, CA. - July 24th 2010.

Setlist:

Her Beautiful Ideas
Ruby Heart
Just Not Just
Fee Da Da Dee
Vertigo
Trust Me I'm A Thief
Diamond
Oh Nikita
Wisdom
The Spiegel Song
I Think I Love You
Told You So

Encore:

Universe Is Laughing
Creep

So we encountered, and became instant fans of The Guggenheim Grotto (TGG) when we saw them support They Might Be Giants back in November of last year.
Hardly surprising then that we've been keeping an eye out for them, and when itgirlxx mentioned to me that they were playing a set at Hotel Utah in SF we figured we'd be going along. It was mentioned along the way that their performance wasn't scheduled until 11PM, meaning we'd have to taxi home from SF to E'ville and a few Facebook posts followed to contemplate the fact that we're old codgers now, and being out until 1AM even on a Saturday is a bit of a stretch, but thankfully our youthful mates persuaded us to ditch the cocoa and slippers and make the journey to SF.
We're bloody glad we did!!!

Began the evening at The Chieftain Irish Pub, where we loaded up on Shepherd's Pie and Corned Beef & Cabbage, not to mention the odd Guinness (or 4!) before moseying over to the Hotel Utah. It's by no means a huge venue and we arrived in the middle of the set of the 2nd of 3 bands to play that evening. Good Guinness on tap at the bar, so I figured I'd continue where I'd left off at The Chieftain. Didn't pay too much attention to the band that was playing when we got there, but spotted the Guggenheimers at the bar too and mingling with the crowd. The performing area is small & split over 2 levels and we were able to see right down onto the stage from the 2nd floor balcony, but the venue suits their music in that it's soft and folky and doesn't require mega-stacks of amplifiers and speakers turned up loud enough to shake your retinas loose!
A great performance followed, Kevin mainly on vocals & keyboard and Mick mostly on the guitar and a bass drum pedal "thing".
Their encore was performed on the ukelele, and bizarrely, only 4 days after we'd seen Ingrid Michealson do a solo performance of Radiohead's "Creep" on the ukelele, so too Kevin did the same thing for The Guggenheim Grotto, albeit left-handed as opposed to Ingrid's right handed version! I have to say I preferred this one though!
Was pretty funny that just after he'd begun playing, someone managed to turn on the Jukebox in the main bar area at full volume, which prompted him to rush out, ukelele & all, and though we're not sure what was said, it went quiet again pretty quickly and he was able to finish properly!

Purchased their new CD "The Universe Is Laughing" after they were done and got it signed by Kevin & Mick, and spent 15 minutes chatting to them about touring the US, supporting TMBG, what brought us out here, and even :gtplanet: got a mention in there somewhere as we turned the conversation to a shared addiction to fantasy football in the English Premier League. So much so that we swapped email addresses and have now been invited to join "The Spiegel League" which Kevin has set up for the band & fans to join & winner gets a TGG T-shirt!!! I've named my team "Guggenheim Lotto"! (It's in the Guggenheim league and it's a total lottery as to how well I'll do!!!)
Whereas most bigger gigs I can get the setlist by searching it out on the web a few days after the event, this time (and probably the only time it'll ever happen) I got it direct by email as a "best guess at what we played 'cos we can't remember exactly or what order they were in" list from a band member! (First & last songs are definitely right though, I remember that much through the Guinness haze!!
drunk.gif
)

2 truly nice and entertaining characters, forming a band that's well worth catching live. They're currently back touring the East Coast & Midwest now, so if they're in your vicinity make the effort! 👍

Definitely a 10/10 & can't wait for them to be back out this way again soon. :)

Back