RGT runs with the big dogs...

Having recently discovered (and fallen in love with!) the Ruf RGT, I decided to see how it stacked up against the big boys in the GT World Championship. I ran it at SSR11, a track I usually find a struggle. It was fully NA tuned at 626bhp, running slick tyres. Settings were left as standard apart from turning off ASM / TCS.

I lost some ground at the beginning of the race during the pushing and shoving through the first couple of corners, but fought my way up to second place with a four second gap between me and the TS020 Race car. I gradually lost ground as my tyres got scrubbed in, and I battled against the R390 for second place.

After a couple of laps my tyres were nice and worn in, and I was lapping faster, but the TS020 was too quick and I couldn't close the gap. The R390 was getting past me on the long straight, plus a couple of times when I fluffed the entry to a hairpin. Going into lap four I began inching up on the TS020 and the R390 was getting further behind. My harder slicks were still going strong, but the AI cars' tyres were beginning to deteriorate. By lap six I was only two seconds behind the TS020 with tyres still a healthy shade of yellow, and confident that I had enough race time left to get past. The TS020 was in my sights as we entered the final turn on lap six, and I finally passed him as he pitted. Yay!

Now the race was almost in the bag. I had healthy lead over the R390, and judging by the fact the nearly all the other cars had pitted I knew his tyres must be on the way out. If he pitted I'd get a bigger lead while he stopped and then had to wear in the new rubber. No pit stop was forthcoming. He was running on shot tyres and stood no real chance of catching me unless I did something stupid. I think it was lap eight when he went in, but by then it was too little too late. I had an insurmountable lead which I held onto grimly for the remainder of the race, crossing the line with my tyres just starting to pick up a hint of orange.

Great story..

I've recently discovered the joy of the RUFs, especially the RGT with TC and ASM off.

I've been battling it out in the dream car chmpionship in the am league over and over with a stock (other than tires) RGT. I've won the series 2 times out of three (watch out for that damn mazda LM car 9I think) it will ram you from behind and cause you to spin) on points, both on fairly good margins for a 7 race series. I have to work alot harder and really think through pit/tire strategy but done right it all works out,

I usually qualify around 4th strategically to be in front of the ZZII (who due to pit strategy is usually the series leader) but behind the 3 top "race" cars in the series to avoid 1st corner silly'ness. I let those three cars scrub there soft tires on the opening lap (they seem to go for really soft tires) while holding the ZZII off behind me, which usually isn't a problem. I make up the places on lap 2 and pit on 3 (I force myself to pit once like all the other cars, I could make it the distance but what would be the challege winning by 20secs each time). I'l come out in 4th usually after that pit but the "race cars" pit on lap 4 usually and I will most oft he time come out just inf ront of them (3secs) and if i don't do something stupid I'll hold them off and/or gain .5+ secs on the last lap on my more worn in tires.

it's good fun, but alot of work.

Thanks guys. To be honest I never expected to win, I really only entered to see how far behind I'd finish up! I noticed that the race cars could brake for turns much later, but despite that I was very impressed with the RGT.

Unfortunately I did the write up a couple of hours after the race, so I didn't have the actual finishing times, but pit strategy helped. I don't think that softer tyres would have given me sufficiently faster lap times to make up for a pit stop.

Chris

I used the RGT to do most of ameteur league with onyl suspension upgrades, I did of course mod if extensivley for Prof. league. I did th polyphony digital cup with it too, that was a bit harder as we all no how fast the Speed 6 can be.

Latest Posts

Back