Ricey or Racey?

• Thread starter NSX-R
  • 44 comments
customer_car_dave_h_lg.jpg

customer_car_bob_lamon_1.jpg

(From http://www.turnermotorsport.com)

I'm considering getting a E36 M3 in the next few years, and I'd like have one or those functional spoilers. However some people might thing it's too big and think that it's a ricer car. I'm asian so the sterotypes go on... :grumpy:

What do you think?

Why do you care if people call you ricers or not? Anyone who considers someone a ricer is a dumbass. Who cares what people do to there cars? It's there money andcar, the car doesn't care it's not alive or have feelings. Go ahead man it's all yours.

If it's really a M3, then it's racy. And very cool.

If it's a bone stock 318ci (I think thats the right designation), I'm more on the fence, yes, it's still functional, but is it needed?

The M3 of any gen. is already enough power.

I say go for it if you want.
My pal had his E36 set up the same way in the 2nd pic, but with a little more body work and different rims.

Go for it.
However, I would figure out if it is actually needed, first. If you then decide to get it, then if you make the rest of the car look the part, it won't seem ricey at all. To reiterate what others have said, it's your car. Do what you like with it.

As long as it actually serves a purpose, go for it. In my personal taste, I would want the spoiler to be a few inches lower, but it looks good on the BMW in the garage...

Its an M3. Noone will ever say that you riced it if you installed some horrendous modifications, rather that you ruined a good car which I don't think that wing would. Also I think it depends on the execution, if the wing and other modifications are of good quality and installed well they will look great. Another wing, though of a similar style, may not seem to fit the car quite right or look like it was an afterthought.

Go for it.

The car is awesome, as long as it's a geniune M3. I know the rear spoiler is functional, and I like that fact, but it looks too thick and heavy, even on the race car, to be a real "racey" looking spoiler. There are proably a bunch of different spoilers on the market for that model 3, and I'd advise looking at all those. I'm sure you'd find something better. The rest of the body looks great, though if those side skirts weren't stock I'd call them ricey.
Just remember, it's a BMW and it deserves respect as a real performance car. That model M3 was the greatest in my opinion, the most pure, if not the performance king. I love the lack of electronic nannies, I love the simple, conservative, traditional BMW design, and the performance is plenty good. It takes skill to extract it all, but in a fun way, inlike a hardcore race car. Where was I going with that....oh, make sure it doesn't look a bit ricey, or I'll ahve to slap you. The Bimmer deserves better than that.
You should prbably hack up some money and give AC Schnitzer a call: I bet they could hook you up with a neat little spoiler.

If it looks good on the car and it's not tilted upwards, it's a good modification. Anyone who would call you a ricer for having that particular wing on that car would just be a jackass.

Good question. I've wondered same thing with the WRX STi or Lancer Evos. I'd think it's personal taste. I agree with skip, too. If it was on a stock car, then it's questionable.

Thanks guys! I will get those spoilers when I get least 360 horses out of my future E36.

BTW, I just discovered that it is an OEM part from the M3 lightweight verision.

NSX-R
Thanks guys! I will get those spoilers when I get least 360 horses out of my future E36.

BTW, I just discovered that it is an OEM part from the M3 lightweight verision.

I love that word. OEM. If anyone calls you ricey, just tell them "OEM".. They would just be standing there looking stupid! Go for it! 👍

Oh, by the way, as an Evo-lover, I must say that spoiler is small compared to a stock Evo wing. It's not very large, in fact, it's very pretty and fits the E36 perfectly! :)

Oh, by the way, I was talking about Mitsubishi Evo, but you might wanna check out E36 BMW M3 Evo! That's a look I'd definatly would adopt (with your wing, of course)

m3.jpg

I just found out that the spoiler is non-DOT! (http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m3_ltw.htm) scroll down to the text in the second box!

Does that mean it's absolutely illegal on the street? Sure it blocks the view but there are worse ones. Like Evo and STI, though looks great, the back window is basicly for show...

Can someone comfirm on that?

If you like it do it. Dont ever worry about what others think. Doing what you like is what sets your car apart from the rest. Racey. 👍

Racey. definitely.

the thing i don't get is the thing against big spoilers. if real racers have them, and you've got the guts to back it up, (M3 does) go for it!

Nobody calls a Charger Daytona a "Ricer".

Jim Prower
Racey. definitely.

the thing i don't get is the thing against big spoilers. if real racers have them, and you've got the guts to back it up, (M3 does) go for it!

Nobody calls a Charger Daytona a "Ricer".

lol...good point, the original 'ricer' Monster oversized rear wing, funny as hell body kit...decals everywhere....

Ghost C
If it looks good on the car and it's not tilted upwards, it's a good modification.

Wrong. Quite often when you add a wing it requires more knowledge of the car than how to screw it on. You need to attach it to certain a certain part of the bootlid to actually exert the force directly onto the chassis. Even if you have this part done right, it still isn't guaranteed to catch the airflow the right way to cause usable downforce. If you just stick it up and tilt it down, you could only expect drag and minimal downforce. Testing this second problem can become tricky, but look for wear on the paint on the top/front of the wing after a good drive. I know people have found dust on the back half of the deck of the wing, proving it's effectiveness.

But considering it's a factory 'M' part, I'd trust that they know what's going on.

I still consider it Rice though.

NSX-R
I just found out that the spoiler is non-DOT! (http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m3_ltw.htm) scroll down to the text in the second box!

Does that mean it's absolutely illegal on the street? Sure it blocks the view but there are worse ones. Like Evo and STI, though looks great, the back window is basicly for show...

Can someone comfirm on that?
I'm pretty sure that means if your M3's purpose is to be a track car rather than be a daily driver, those were the options.

@NSX-R: I wish you luck in purchasing your E36 M3! :) If you like the wing, and want it, I say you should go for it. It is a BMW part after all...

keef
That model M3 was the greatest in my opinion, the most pure, if not the performance king. I love the lack of electronic nannies, I love the simple, conservative, traditional BMW design, and the performance is plenty good. It takes skill to extract it all, but in a fun way, inlike a hardcore race car.

The most pure? The most simple? What happened to the one that started it all, the one that was a racecar first, and a roadcar second? :P

Too small, doesn't have the quality, and doesn't perform as well as the E36. I think the E36 was the highest point for the M3 with respect to the performance/quality/usability/reliability/style/reputation relationship, although the newer model is very close. I just like it better, even though the E46 performs better.
Anyway, after seeing more detailed pictures of that big spoiler, I've come to accept it as racey and functional. If you really look at it, its shape looks engineerd to function, and not to look good. They could have mixed in another tablespoon of look-good, though.

keef
Too small, doesn't have the quality, and doesn't perform as well as the E36. I think the E36 was the highest point for the M3 with respect to the performance/quality/usability/reliability/style/reputation relationship, although the newer model is very close. I just like it better, even though the E46 performs better.

Fair enough, but you said the E36 was the simplest, most basic, and most pure ///M3...that's what I was disputing. ;) The E30 was lighter, had less luxuries, less technologies, an engine that made just as much power with 2 less cylinders and 0.7L less displacement (in Sport Evo trim), and was conceived primarily for the homologation requirements of Group A racing.

...and I'll own one someday. :D

keef
They could have mixed in another tablespoon of look-good, though.

I agree, but hey, whatever works. :lol:

I consider it rice because it's not necessary. Unless you're driving track every weekend, you'll never need a wing like that for street driving. Who corners that hard at 80+mph during daily driving.

exigeracer
I consider it rice because it's not necessary. Unless you're driving track every weekend, you'll never need a wing like that for street driving. Who corners that hard at 80+mph during daily driving.

I do intent to race every weekend when I get the car...

Back