Ride 4

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 738 comments
Yeah that rpm rise is a pretty standard thing with bikes, it's why you need to design in a lot of overrev in the engine, so you don't ruin your life by banging into the limiter as you tip it in at full throttle at or near peak power. It feels pretty cool as well for some reason, pinning the throttle open and then having the revs rise and the bike squirm as you hoon through a fast sweeper. It's what it's all about.

You also get the opposite effect where the revs seem to stay the same as you pick the bike up whilst accelerating hard, almost giving a CVT type effect as the effective gear ratio increases with the speed for a short moment.

If there is an actual CVT in there, then no, the ratio will be controlled according to the torque output to keep rpm almost constant regardless, unless you're above the speed that the CVT essentially locks out at its maximum ratio.

Examples:

Yeah that could be a bit misleading. But is also correct, as slicks don't fundamentally change the geometry of the bike, ride height etc, so don't affect the handling per se. But you will find you can brake harder, accelerate better and grip better in the corners as well as accelerate out of them without the bike wanting to snap away from you (it doesn't cure it, but it helps a LOT)

I seem to recall the tyres effectively add lean angle too. This makes sense since the lean angle controls the cornering speed first, and the tyre grip (compound) essentially determines at what point (in terms of g force, so lean angle again) the tyre slips.

Presumably this also increases the gear ratio effect discussed above, the greater the lean angle the greater the difference in tyre circumference at the contact patch and so the more the revs rise and fall from lean angle alone.

Racing tyres generally have more aggressive profiles, and they will be different sizes between manufacturers in particular, so in a racing situation these differences can have a significant effect. A larger circumference rear tyre has quite a lot of knock on effects in terms of not just the head / steering angle and trail, but also the swingarm angle and resulting suspension geometry there (sag, then linkage ratios) which also affects the anti squat from the chain drive.

I'm loving the new game. Maybe I'm a sadist but I kinda like the challenge it has to it, not impossible but definitely tougher than the 1st three....

Attachments

• PS_Messages_20201016_140652.jpg
    PS_Messages_20201016_140652.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PS_Messages_20201016_140641.jpg
    PS_Messages_20201016_140641.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 12
I know the reviews have been hit or miss, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to race at the Utah Motorsport Campus. So far, I like it, reminds me quite a bit of Ride 3, which isn't a bad thing since I sunk a ton of hours into that.

So do we agree that upgrading the brakes one notch up make the motorbikes brake more like in real life? As some people complained at the beginning that the brakes are ridiculous.
And the same is true about slicks versus threaded tires? Handling more realistic with the in-game slicks?

At last I made the horrible European license Brands Hatch blue gate thing! I thought it would take a whole afternoon to pass. No, all I needed was to drink two beers. Puzzled! Seriously the alcohol in my blood probably helped me to relax and ride smoothly.

Wait until the American Regional TT at VIR. I'm level 5 for the 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 600 thanks to that one lol.

That's one I have a video for 4.4 seconds under gold :sly:

Oh I'm right about the same place. It was more learning the damn track limits.....and not wrecking by the condos trying to late brake, lol.

Plus I started in that region. Which, in hindsight wasn't the best plan of attack, lol.

Last edited:
There is a lot to be liked in this game. The AI problems were less noticable in the beginning but now it starts to become a problem. I don't have FB but I asume many expressed their concern already. This is an issue that must be solved, it simply can't be to such a thing ruins such a nice a varied game in general.

I think the game looks polished, packed with content and lots of variation. It's the first Milestone game I play that I think goes into the A or A+ games. Just fix the annoying AI and please simply invalidate a lap in the timetrials!

The AI has been garbage for 4 Ride games now, I can only come to the obvious conclusion that Milestone aren't even making the slightest effort to fix it or they don't know how to fix it.

On the plus side though, the bikes have gotten progressively shinier over the years...

Last edited:
The AI has been garbage for 4 Ride games now, I can only come to the obvious conclusion that Milestone aren't even making the slightest effort to fix it or they don't know how to fix it.

On the plus side though, the bikes have gotten progressively shinier over the years...

It's crazy that devs seem unable to have a bike/car avoid you even going down the straight and you are on the racing line. But what really irks me, is there was a game back in the day on the original Xbox/PC called Mercedes Benz World Racing. It wasn't a wildly popular game (but is in fact my all time favourite racing game :) ), but one thing it did surprisingly well was A.I. I recall one day purposely parking my car just around the corner after a hairpin turn going into a tunnel, and every car coming up behind me, swerved to avoid my car. If a small dev from Germany could do it back then on the OG Xbox, then today's devs have no excuse.

Last edited:
It's crazy that devs seem unable to have a bike/car avoid you even going down the straight and you are on the racing line. But what really irks me, is there was a game back in the day on the original Xbox/PC called Mercedes Benz World Racing. It wasn't a wildly popular game (but is in fact my all time favourite racing game :) ), but one thing it did surprisingly well was A.I. I recall one day purposely parking my car just around the corner after a hairpin turn going into a tunnel, and every car coming up behind me, swerved to avoid my car. If a small dev from Germany could do it back then on the OG Xbox, then today's devs have no excuse.

Through playing and looking at replays in Ride games it seems that the AI is programmed to stick to the racing line no matter what happens. The AI give each other a little space on straights but they do hit each other when approaching corners as the programming makes them pull towards the line regardless, however they don't fall as apparently their bikes seem to weigh as much as Challenger tank and can't be unsettled where as if you so much as brush them you're skidding on your arse into the gravel.

I completely agree that there's no excuse, as you have pointed out there's older games from way back when that handled the AI really well. Most driving games AI range from satisfactory to mildly frustrating, after 4 games though Ride's AI is simply an embarrassment.

Another POV video from me, still teaching myself to edit so this time I finally worked out fading audio and picture in picture. Looking for feedback on what sort of videos anyone would like to see?

See, now THAT, right there, in spite of all the niggles and issues, is what keeps us all coming back, that ultra visceral sense of SPEED!!! Nice lap, btw!

Feedback? Honestly, just make videos like this that make you happy, the rest of us will watch.

Hats off to anyone who has managed to gold the Interlagos wet track test. The only one I've not managed to gold so far and for the sake of my controller an TV, I had to stop trying. That one is seriously frustrating!

there was a game back in the day on the original Xbox/PC called Mercedes Benz World Racing. It wasn't a wildly popular game (but is in fact my all time favourite racing game :)

Just to go a bit off-topic, I had that game as well and really loved it. Fantastic settings and tracks. Didn't get much recognition, though.

Just to go a bit off-topic, I had that game as well and really loved it. Fantastic settings and tracks. Didn't get much recognition, though.

You are officially my new favourite forum member :cheers: What impressed me about it the most were the absolutely massive and varied environments. There are still a lot of mods out there for the PC version, including loads of cars etc, but sadly I don't have a PC capable of running it. I was hoping for backwards compatibility on the Xbox One but it never happened.

Anyway, back on topic.....loving the RG500!
Ride 4 RG500.jpg

See, now THAT, right there, in spite of all the niggles and issues, is what keeps us all coming back, that ultra visceral sense of SPEED!!! Nice lap, btw!

Feedback? Honestly, just make videos like this that make you happy, the rest of us will watch.

Pretty much that, I don't care if the AI is bad or whatever flaw you want to throw at it just riding bikes around is alot of fun.

Ask and you shall receive though, RM Naked bikes @ Kanto in the wet is ALOT of fun. Through the final turn you can basically pull a full drift all the way up the hill like a hero (doesn't translate onto the replay but it feels great when you do it in game)

They have posted the latest patch update notes:

-Career Mode: more tolerant fail condition for Track Test and Time Attack events
-Increased credit rewards for every event
-Improved HDR setup
-Improved and less aggressive AI behaviour
-Minor Fixes

-Added Trophies for add-ons (PS4)
-Added support for add-ons (Steam)

Seems like somethings changed with the 1.06 patch (PS4). I got to play some last night and tried revisit and gold all the license test for Europe, Asia, US and World. Only had gold on half of them. I managed to gold all at first or second attempt. First time when the game was new I struggled to get bronze on some of them. I assume I have gotten better as well, but now I found gold easy on all tests.. Is the physics changed as well perhaps?
I noticed a significant AI difference as well, now they crash at the slightest touch a opposed to me crashing before the patch. Not much change in behavior though.

They have posted the latest patch update notes:

-Career Mode: more tolerant fail condition for Track Test and Time Attack events
-Increased credit rewards for every event
-Improved HDR setup
-Improved and less aggressive AI behaviour
-Minor Fixes
-Added Trophies for add-ons (PS4)
-Added support for add-ons (Steam)

This sounds like good news and seems to show that Milestone have been listening to their fanbase. I actually had gone back to Ride 3 simply because I found it more rewarding and less a tiresome irritating chore than R4, so I'll give R4 a twirl later on.

Latest Posts

Back