"Ring Taxi" - Tire selection research

What tires for the M5 Ring Taxi in GT6

• Total voters
United States
Port Washington
GTP_skeeter23
As part of my research for a little project I'm working on I thought I'd throw this out for some opinion.

I have been doing a lot of "Ring Taxi" laps in an M5 lately and am working on tire selection. I've watched hundreds of videos trying to analyze the laps and determine what is best suited for an "acceptable" match.

Thus far I've settled on Comfort Medium. Comfort Hard seems a bit too slippery and Comfort Soft a bit grippy but it could just be me as well. I also haven't been able to find much info online about what tires they actually use other than "Michellin or Dunlop" and they last about 10 laps.

Additional info: I am using no aids and making extra effort to use no curbs at all. 14:00, 0% weather, edge real. Car is completely stock (except brake bias) and without oil change. For now I've only been testing with a DS3 because I've honestly been to lazy to pull out the rig. I know any times I do set right now are about 20-30sec slower than I could theoretically do on the wheel and something that feels just a little to slick to me is about right due to the fact that I suck on a DS3 and even still an 8:45 is a very calm, "safe", and easy target on CM.

What say you the ultimate community of tire debaters? What do you think would be the most accurate representation of tires for a ring taxi?

PS: Please don't just turn this into an argument over the merits of what PD did or did not get right with the tires. I'm just trying to ballpark a somewhat fair representation of the real life counterparts.

Last edited:
It's difficult to determine how hard the taxi driver is driving. So the comparison will never be apple to apple.

And, although the graphic is good on GT6, I believe it's still far from the real experience. When we feel calm and easy through the console and screen, it could be very scary in a real car in the real place.

It's difficult to determine how hard the taxi driver is driving. So the comparison will never be apple to apple.

And, although the graphic is good on GT6, I believe it's still far from the real experience. When we feel calm and easy through the console and screen, it could be very scary in a real car in the real place.
Oh I understand that but SH are absolutely too much tire for this and personally I think CH is likely a bit too little. I'm sure it's plenty scary for the passengers but the drivers are always very calm cool and collected. Mainly I've been studying Sabine Schmitz so go figure.

Another part of this is that on CS I could blast around the ring in 8:15 no problem on a DS3 and possibly 8 flat it quicker on th wheel. With a car that heavy I just don't see it being realistic to go that fast on oem dot tires. Unless I am just faster than I thought, which I am likely not.

It's a Pilot Sport and thus unlikely to be CH. I'm inclined to think CM or CS, the former being more likely because of the way heavier cars retain lateral grip in the game. CS's lateral grip would be more consistent on a lighter car but then it has the linear grip advantage. If you question your ability to easily match and topple real-world times with the appropriate grip, perhaps you should trust your gut and go with the former.

Last edited:
Right but I don't think anyone's really done that yet for GT6 and I'm not sure it would correctly translate or not with the new tire model.
Last time I posted this I got blasted, but I started a GT6 one based on the second link. Here it is. The list only includes premium cars and hasn't been updated in a while. Can't guarantee it's 100% accurate, and I made assumptions in places, but it should work fine.

Last time I posted this I got blasted, but I started a GT6 one based on the second link. Here it is. The list only includes premium cars and hasn't been updated in a while. Can't guarantee it's 100% accurate, and I made assumptions in places, but it should work fine.
Why did you get blasted on this? I think it's a great start personally. Very interesting to see the real life G's for the different cars. I presume you took those values and then just tested in game until you could replicate the results?

I've been thinking of testing for some time now on the skidpad at Streets for the couple of cars I am most interested in. I was going to start with the M5 but just hadn't gotten to it yet.

Looks like your test lines right up with my CM thought on the M5.

I presume you took those values and then just tested in game until you could replicate the results?
Like the original GT5 version, I tested different cars until I found a pattern, after that it was just a matter of finding different cars' g-forces and plugging them in.

Surely the grip of the tarmac is a variable in this? I would presume that the GT version of the 'ring has a lot more grip than the real life version, and is a lot less bumpy.

Surely the grip of the tarmac is a variable in this? I would presume that the GT version of the 'ring has a lot more grip than the real life version, and is a lot less bumpy.
Variance is possible, higher grip on the ring in GT is also quite possible, but that is one I REALLY don't think we could come up with a good test for :boggled:

I can tell you however that running CH/CM tires sure does show you a whole new world of tarmac undulations you never ever noticed before. Is it as much as real life? I have no idea because I've never been there but I can tell you there are more than enough to keep you busy.

Variance is possible, higher grip on the ring in GT is also quite possible, but that is one I REALLY don't think we could come up with a good test for :boggled:

I can tell you however that running CH/CM tires sure does show you a whole new world of tarmac undulations you never ever noticed before. Is it as much as real life? I have no idea because I've never been there but I can tell you there are more than enough to keep you busy.

It's a minefield trying to compare GT to real life :lol:

I must give comforts a try on cars that normally come with SH some day 👍

It's a minefield trying to compare GT to real life :lol:

I must give comforts a try on cars that normally come with SH some day 👍
Right. GT to Real Life isn't apples to apples for sure, more like bananas to razor blades, but I'm attempting to come up with something of a "reasonable" likeness.

Try comfort tires you must! (in my best Yoda voice) I absolutely hated them at first and thought how could anybody ever think these are realistic? But after a while you figure them out and learn a whole bunch of things you never would have on grippier shoes. As you learn them you subconsciously learn about slip angles, best line approaches, braking zone, edge of grip, along with many others. And that's jut the car! After that you start learning things about the track you probably never realized before like where grip is, where grip isn't, bumps that throw the car around, how bad some curbs you usually use can upset the car, and again other things as well.

The end result is a more visceral driving experience and you will likely be much faster than before when you do use grippier tires.

Plus then you can keep yourself entertained for a while going back and doing career races on 1-2 less tire grades ;)

In the testing I've done in GT6 on this specific car, CH tires are the closest to real life for the stock M5. Not sure if the Ring Taxi car would use factory tires though.
This thread has some information in it which may be helpful.
Different grade of tires: your experiences and opinions
Yep, because of you I put quite a few laps in on the ring with the M5 and CH. Add ballast to the car to simulate passengers and it is an even more epic ride. You really feel the weight transfer then.

Even still, I am personally not sold on the fact that the ring taxi, at least, doesn't have a bit more grip than the CH affords it. It is stated in many places online and in the videos that the only modification to the Ring Taxis are brake pads, nothing else, which I presume also means tires (factory).

In my opinion CM is the tire for the M5 Stock.

That being said I dont believe anything below a CS belongs Racing on a track. I personally dont aim for what the stock tire would be, but what I think the car should race on.
Comparing lap times Virtual to Reality, Dont most manufacturers use Semi Slicks for setting fast times around the 'Ring ?

I'm probably wrong, But my theory is
CH - Production Crap Tire
CM - Sporty Summer Tire
CS - DOT Approved Semi Slick
SH - Semi Slick Racing Tire

I Race using a DS3 and in GT5 slapped RS tires on everything. Then the first time I drove a car on a track in real life I realized I had been living a life of illusion. Haha.

Edit: I also dont use ABS. I would if it was integrated in the game to work as ABS does in real life.

Last edited:
If your running 8:15's on a DS3 with CM, your choice is spot on. Because doing some digging I found that the 05 BMW M5 ran a 8:13 in stock trim with the DSG gearbox on stock Michelin Pilot sports. Which is a all season performance tire with a tread wear rating of 280AA which is relatively soft for a street tire.

They don't use standard tires that come on M5s anymore, as far as I know. Years ago...like 5+ years ago, they were running Michelin PS or PS2s in the dry and Dunlop in the wet. I assume DZ101s. That said, even if they were still merely using PS' or DZ101s, I would chalk that up to sports hards or mediums. I've drive on anything from straight up economy tires to slicks that have to be adjusted by incriments of fractions of a pound, to account for expansion. I've owned both DZ101s and Mich PS'. Michelins were on my old e46, have another set on my current e46, and I've had DZ101s on my e36 in the past. They feel leaps and bounds tackier than those comfort tires in GT6.

You can't go by lap times in GT6, to produce "replicas". I find that puzzling. The tires, when put on the correct car are not the problem. The problem lies somewhere else. Idk if it lies in acceleration or fluid dynamic modelling, etc. If you look at braking points and cornering speeds, comfort tires aren't even close. They'll get you the lap times and compensate for other issues, but the car is still going to slip and slide more than it would IRL. The point of a replica is to get similar braking points, entry, cornering an exit speeds. Not total lap times. I see it all the time on here. "Oh, yep. Tuned it to do the same times as it did in real life. Had to use comfort hards to do so on this f40! Has real life camber and toe settings, spring rates, gearbox, etc."

The tires are not the major factor into obscene lap times.

Sports hards on the M5 for it to feel like it has as much grip in real life. If your times are to quick, so be it. I would rather simulate the driving experience than use the single way to slow a car down in stock form - tires. Or detuning power. That is what I think the problem is. The amount of work the motors are doing and putting to the ground IRL, does not line up with how much "power" they are putting to the surfaces in the game. In the stats/specs, it can say the car has 505hp, but that is all relative in a physics game like GT6. There's no such thing as power. Cars just accelerate to x speed faster than one another at desperate rates, depending on what power you've got them set to. For example - the Lotus 97T never had a higher trap speed in QUALIFYING TRIM, than 319kmh. Which is 198mph. Yet the car went, what? 220 in the time trials and will go 212 with FULL downforce online. I run that car a lot, so that was what led me to the speed factor and how it relates to how much ground is being covered. It is not grip. There are certain tires to use with curtain cars and power levels. I don't decide which to use, based on lap times. The lap time is what it is.

As I said, it is about braking points, entry, cornering and exit speeds. That's it. If you're topping out beyond IRL top speed, turn the power down, because that probably isn't working right either.

Everyone just assumes it is the tires, but I've seen very few cite cornering speeds, braking points, etc. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone post them to be honest. I just think it is hilarious that people have harped on the tires for so long and no one talks about the top speeds still be outrageous. About aero being too effective. About covering distances faster than the cars should. Horsepower being accurate on paper, but not accurate in terms of how quickly it makes the car scoot up to top speed, etc.

People say it is the tires, because it is a simple, one word answer and they can say it without anyone challenging said theory for the most part.

Idk. Sports hards. If you're not matching braking points, sports mediums. If you're not matching braking points, then the threshold for traction is not close enough...which means the tires ARE NOT too sticky. Oops.

I'll be testing this. Haven't thought if the braking point test until now.

The dunlops that BMW uses on the taxi are not stock. The only other part on the ring taxis that aren't stock are the brake pads. I believe Pagid or Hawk makes pads specifically for the ring taxi with BMW. They cannot be purchased and don't come on any factory cars.

When I went on a Ring Taxi ride in 2010 with the e60, it was running Bridgestones. I recall reading something on their site at the time about the tyres and how many laps they get out of them and when they replace parts like suspension etc but can't find it now as it's pretty out of date.

The driver who took me was one of the BMW test engineers, it was fast for an everyday person and the tyres were squealing but there was clearly a lot in reserve on his side as he pointed out scenery at around 240kmh heading towards Schwedenkreuz. He had raced a number of Nurburgring 24 hours and laughed at the weight of the BMW calling it a bus as he spent a few corners trying to keep with a 911 gt3 that flew past. Again it's no race car, it was still really comfortable even when being thrown around a little.

The Finnish guys I sold the spare seats to asked about whether they stop or change anything if it rains and he said no, they just keep going and get a bit sideways to still put on a good show for the customer.

A final note if you are replicating ring taxi laps would be to not forget there are 4 people in the car.

For me add 200kg of ballast and use either CM or CS, The soft feels more stable to me especially at the rear.

They don't use standard tires that come on M5s anymore, as far as I know. Years ago...like 5+ years ago, they were running Michelin PS or PS2s in the dry and Dunlop in the wet. I assume DZ101s. That said, even if they were still merely using PS' or DZ101s, I would chalk that up to sports hards or mediums. I've drive on anything from straight up economy tires to slicks that have to be adjusted by incriments of fractions of a pound, to account for expansion. I've owned both DZ101s and Mich PS'. Michelins were on my old e46, have another set on my current e46, and I've had DZ101s on my e36 in the past. They feel leaps and bounds tackier than those comfort tires in GT6.

You can't go by lap times in GT6, to produce "replicas". I find that puzzling. The tires, when put on the correct car are not the problem. The problem lies somewhere else. Idk if it lies in acceleration or fluid dynamic modelling, etc. If you look at braking points and cornering speeds, comfort tires aren't even close. They'll get you the lap times and compensate for other issues, but the car is still going to slip and slide more than it would IRL. The point of a replica is to get similar braking points, entry, cornering an exit speeds. Not total lap times. I see it all the time on here. "Oh, yep. Tuned it to do the same times as it did in real life. Had to use comfort hards to do so on this f40! Has real life camber and toe settings, spring rates, gearbox, etc."

Sports hards on the M5 for it to feel like it has as much grip in real life. If your times are to quick, so be it. I would rather simulate the driving experience than use the single way to slow a car down in stock form - tires. Or detuning power. That is what I think the problem is. The amount of work the motors are doing and putting to the ground IRL, does not line up with how much "power" they are putting to the surfaces in the game. In the stats/specs, it can say the car has 505hp, but that is all relative in a physics game like GT6. There's no such thing as power. Cars just accelerate to x speed faster than one another at desperate rates, depending on what power you've got them set to. For example - the Lotus 97T never had a higher trap speed in QUALIFYING TRIM, than 319kmh. Which is 198mph. Yet the car went, what? 220 in the time trials and will go 212 with FULL downforce online. I run that car a lot, so that was what led me to the speed factor and how it relates to how much ground is being covered. It is not grip. There are certain tires to use with curtain cars and power levels. I don't decide which to use, based on lap times. The lap time is what it is.

As I said, it is about braking points, entry, cornering and exit speeds. That's it. If you're topping out beyond IRL top speed, turn the power down, because that probably isn't working right either.

Everyone just assumes it is the tires, but I've seen very few cite cornering speeds, braking points, etc. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone post them to be honest. I just think it is hilarious that people have harped on the tires for so long and no one talks about the top speeds still be outrageous. About aero being too effective. About covering distances faster than the cars should. Horsepower being accurate on paper, but not accurate in terms of how quickly it makes the car scoot up to top speed, etc.

People say it is the tires, because it is a simple, one word answer and they can say it without anyone challenging said theory for the most part.

Idk. Sports hards. If you're not matching braking points, sports mediums. If you're not matching braking points, then the threshold for traction is not close enough...which means the tires ARE NOT too sticky. Oops.

The dunlops that BMW uses on the taxi are not stock. The only other part on the ring taxis that aren't stock are the brake pads. I believe Pagid or Hawk makes pads specifically for the ring taxi with BMW. They cannot be purchased and don't come on any factory cars.

Hard to precisely say where the lap time improvement comes from, but along with most cars reaching their top speed too quickly, the tyres are definitely a big contributing factor as high speed corner apex speeds are much higher in GT6 on SH than in RL.

Here's some analysis I did some months back.

Here's the comparison between @Sutuki GT6 lap in the MP4-12C (6'48 - stock car, sports hard tyres, oil change, no aids, ABS1) and Horst van Saurma's lap for Sportauto (7'28 - P Zero Corsa tyres - road legal track day tyre).

Some of the comparisons might not be directly the same as it's difficult to know exactly where Sportauto measured the speed, but should be correct for most Sectors... speeds are in MPH.

Sectors Type
GT6 Horst Delta
Hatzenbach Minimum corner speed
109 94 15
Flugplatz Minimum corner speed
117 102 15
Schwedenkreuz Maximum speed on straight
193 165 28
Aremberg Minimum corner speed
63 65 -2
Fuchsrohre Maximum speed on straight
183 155 28
Metzgesfeld Minimum corner speed
112 100 12
Ex-Muhle Minimum corner speed
71 71 0
Bergwerk Minimum corner speed
62 63 -1
Kesselchen Maximum speed on straight
171 155 16
Klostertal 1 Minimum corner speed
115 104 11
Klostertal 2 Minimum corner speed
54 59 -5
Hole Acht Minimum corner speed
74 69 5
Brunnchen Minimum corner speed
77 65 12
Pflantzgarten Maximum speed before crest
136 122 14
Anfahrt Schwalbenschwantz Max speed before braking
160 136 24
Schwalbenschwantz Minimum corner speed
66 57 9
Kalgenkopf Minimum corner speed
87 84 3
Dottinger Hohe Speed at bridge
210 181

It's clear that both straight line speed and medium to high speed corner apex speeds are a long way out, with the only close speeds being in the slowest corners.

From this, it looks like SH tyres in GT6 are too grippy to be MPS/Corsa, but to be sure, the results would need triangulating with another couple of cars on Cup tyres, and for better integrity, also against cars not running Cup type tyres.

Track map for reference (ignore the GP section)
nordschleife_map.jpg

Apologies for rubbish formatting - it looked much better before I posted it!!

The M5 would need to have it's tyres downgraded at least 2 levels from SH to produce anywhere near a representative lap times - My best lap in a 100% stock '05 on SH is well under 7'30. Even on CM, I'd expect to be under 8 mins, and that's not simply donw to the cars accelerating too quickly.

Last edited:
This setup is made to matching the qualifying lap time(2.20:121) and the car handling of this car:

Here is the setup:
GT-R NISMO GT3 Base Model'13 591BHP,no oil change

Tires front-racing hard and rear-SPORTS SOFT

Fully customisable suspension
Ride height front 67 and rear 73
Spring rate front 21,43 and rear 13,27
Dampers compression front 2 and rear 2
Dampers extension front 2 and rear 2
Anti-roll bars front 3 and rear 3
Camber angle front 0.00 and rear 0.00
Toe angle front 0.00 and rear 0.00

Racing brakes front 6 and rear 6

Stock six-speed transmission

Limited-slip differential
Initial torque 10
Acceleration sensitivity 40
Braking sensitivity 20

Downforce front 350 and rear 490

All AIDS and ABS OFF,real grip.

My best lap on Spa Francorchamps with this setup is 2:20.759

Last edited:
@Stotty

Right, but when you go tweaking suspension on cars in GT6 and considering it needs some work, nothing points to tires being the limiting factor to cornering and exit speeds IRL or in GT6. Maybe the car in real life over or understeers, causing then driver to back off? Same goes for GT6. The tire may have plenty try left in it in both RL and GT6. Could be the driver or car as well. You can get a lot more or less out of a tire, depending on suspension specs and characteristics. No doubt, some of us can set cars up to do ridiculous times from what they really should or do stock in gt6. Also, take a set of tires from a car with x suspension settings and throw them on a car that have different settings. The tires are going to brake loose at one speed on one car and a separate on the other. Grip thresholds, cornering and exit speeds are not totally due to tires. A tire doesn't break loose at a given, exact speed no matter the case. You can get immense grip out of some really crappy tires IRL with a very well set up car. You would be very surprised.

@332i

I'm not talking about tuning a car to run fast... I'm talking about running 7'21 in a 100% stock '05 M5 (pre 1.11). And a full lap, not BTG... over a minute faster than RL.

Although I don't disagree with you in general (there are many things that affect a cars lap times), I don't agree with this...

IMO, SH tyres have way too much grip compared to RL road tyres, and tyres in general are THE key factor in lap times being so much quicker in GT6.

Ok. We finished within ten spots or so of each other in the 97T time trial. So, I think it is fair enough to assume that we're both pretty good at setting the cars up. Every time I tune a car on x tire, it gains more from the setup changes with whatever tire I started and finished tuning on, than when I go to slap softer tires on it from the same category; ie comfort/sport/racing. Thinking sport hards are too grippy is subjective and opinionated. Any of the sports tires. None of them feel like a full on racing tire on real life. They don't feel like any sort of full on slick. You can feel the instability in a lateral sense that all road tires have from the tread rolling under. Turn ABS off and suddenly they won't feel so grippy. Look at how much people are braking after the braking zones into turn on and even past it on the videos of seasonal top tens. But, everyone uses ABS, so they're dubbed too grippy. You can't lock and unlock nearly as well by modulating the pedal. Turn on ABS and suddenly you can enter the turn 10+ mph faster with ABS1 on sports tires. To enter a turn without locking on ABS0, you have to enter quite a bit slower on sports tires and you can't brake mid turn. Turn abs1 on, use the same brake bias that wasn't locking up on you beforehand and suddenly you can drive the car way harder into turns, which is why you see higher mid turn and exit speeds. You and anyone else are welcome to believe what they wish.

ABS0 is faster on racing tires. ABS1 is faster on sports tires. Regardless of the car. That is why you see racing hard seasonal leaderboards chalk full of ABS0 front runners. Same reason you will see the SAME front runners up at the top, but using abs1 with sport tire seasonals.

As I said, turn ABS off on sports tires and your corner speeds on average will plummet. You simply won't be carrying as much speed in and you'll over or understeer if you try to make up for it too nearly mid turn. No more hammering of the brakes too often on entries, whereas you see people bury their left foot during seasonals on sports hards. That is undeniable.

Last edited:
All good points, but not relevant to this particular discussion - unless ABS continues to have an effect on the car once you're fully off the brakes.

The analysis I posted above includes minimum apex speeds... when the driver has finished trail braking and is in the (usually) short coast phase before picking up the throttle. Mid corner speed is mid corner speed... ABS doesn't play any part in how much speed you can carry at the apex... if you braked earlier (and in a straight line) as per non ABS, you'd run slower lap times, but your mid corner speed would be the same.

Of course using ABS will help reduce lap times as it allows very deep trail braking with little/no fear of the car becoming unstable, just as not using ABS should lengthen lap times due to how rubbish the game is at representing real braking.

But it doesn't change the fact that (in the above analysis at least) SH tyres generate significantly more mid corner lateral grip (in all but the slowest corners) than even a semi slick track day tyre does in real life, never mind a typical fully treaded tyre.

So not subjective and/or opinionated... just factual.

BTW... out of the top 50 drivers in the current Laguna Seasonal event (GT500 on RH), every driver is using ABS.

I 100% agree.

My opinion is that there is a lack of drag in GT6 allowing faster acceleration and higher overall speeds. I would rather run what "feels" like the real deal vs useing lower grade tires to match laps. I hope PD fixes what I believe to be a problem with drag, so that these "CM tires must be more real look at the lap times" threads fizle away. I've also had good quality tireson my real car (P-Zero, Falkens etc) not the absolute best, but no way a comfort tires comes close. CS as a Semi Slick race tire IMHO is waaaaaaaaay off base.

Back