RIP Holden. GM shutting down brand and RHD manufacturing

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 63 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/1...bcBV_hnyCFQZ_F41RE_21cV49qmFp8_Zddt6SzkIF4vbI

General Motors has reportedly decided to end the Holden brand and cease production of right-hand drive cars around the world.

The news comes months after confirmation that Holden is axing of the ZB Commodore and Astra from showrooms this year.

A report from CarAdvice.com claims that the decision was made at GM’s head office in Detroit in the last two days, and will take effect at the end of the year, although no official confirmation has come from the global automotive giant yet.

Edit: Confirmed.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/1...QNPIKFLtdRO1R361V87TaxXo60hijzhv_wAvKZzZg0RwQ

GM Accelerates Transformation of International Markets
Sun, February 16, 2020

• GM to cease Holden sales, design and engineering operations by 2021, plans to focus on growth opportunities in specialty vehicle business
  • GM and Great Wall Motors sign binding term sheet for sale of Thailand manufacturing plant
  • Chevrolet to cease domestic sales in Thailand by end of 2020

Last edited:
Ouch. And to think the plant in Thailand is responsible for producing the cars they sold in the country's region and neighbors. :dunce:

Wonder how this decision affects HSV (if at all)? Weird to think that they might outlast Holden itself.

Wonder how this decision affects HSV (if at all)? Weird to think that they might outlast Holden itself.
GMSV? I'd presume they'd be in the box seat for this with all of their previous experience with converting Camaros... and if this happens they might outlast them by a fair bit.
The report adds that a General Motors Specialty Vehicles line could be established in Australia to sell converted versions of selected Chevrolet models.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/17/report-gm-to-close-holden-brand-cease-rhd-production/

Anyway, I hope this isn't a sign of history just repeating itself again from 11 years ago... Who knows.

The only thing that was going for Holden for decades was the fact they made some of their cars here, as soon as that stopped happening people ditched the brand because the quality hasn't been there for a very long time.

Holden dealers are also known to have the worst customer service as well, they have been told countless times by the consumer commission to follow the law, but they can't help themselves screwing customers.

I'm not surprised, as Holden's sales haven't been too great lately, and they've already killed off their most iconic model (Although it should have died with the VF).

The only thing that seemed to be selling was the Colorado, but it'll be a shame losing a make that is so iconic down here.

Wonder what this does to the import market in other countries. Locals here could slap another $10k on whatever V8 they currently own.

Quote from the BBC
BBC
GM President Mark Reuss said the company had explored ways to keep the Holden brand but had decided that it would cost too much to remain in the "highly fragmented right-hand-drive market".

Ouch, Vauxhall next for the chopping block then.

Sad to hear about this. I once had a very sweet spot for the Monaro and HSV E Series when they were imported to the UK as Vauxhalls. Have to wonder what the long-term future for (V8) Supercars will be once the company shuts down.

Last edited:
Sad news indeed, it's sad in general to see what's happened to Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Holden. I wish GM could have made it work out better.

Quote from the BBC

BBC
GM President Mark Reuss said the company had explored ways to keep the Holden brand but had decided that it would cost too much to remain in the "highly fragmented right-hand-drive market".

Right hand drive is really starting to take the brunt of the global auto slowdown and cost cutting. We are a dieing breed, I could actually see more countries switching to Left in the future as some have done in the past.

left_drive_map.png

But are they still going to export RHD Corvette C8's to Australia? This is a move that affects local RHD production only?

Even an American like myself am sad about this news regarding Holden. I am surely a fan of Holden and even HSV.

This is a move that affects local RHD production only?

Holden stopped local (in Australia) production back in 2017. Everything since then has been imported RHD models sourced from elsewhere in the GM group. This news presumably means nothing RHD carrying the Holden marque anymore.

But are they still going to export RHD Corvette C8's to Australia? This is a move that affects local RHD production only?
I believe the C8 is still a go. But, we'll see.
https://www.autosport.com/sup/news/148286/holden-not-ruling-out-early-exit-after-gm-axe
Holden is also refusing to confirm if the planned introduction of Corvette to the Australian market, which could have provided a basis for a factory Supercars programme under the Gen3 rules post-2021, will go ahead.

:lol:👍

If this does go ahead. Would assume they'd probably keep the HSV name, if only for brand recognition? Know a lot of people like to criticize Ryan Walkinshaw about the race team's (lack of) performance and it's probably fair to do so but what he has done with HSV over the past three years. Think he's pretty damn shrewd businessman.

Sad news indeed, it's sad in general to see what's happened to Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Holden. I wish GM could have made it work out better.

Right hand drive is really starting to take the brunt of the global auto slowdown and cost cutting. We are a dieing breed, I could actually see more countries switching to Left in the future as some have done in the past.

left_drive_map.png
I can't see it happening anytime soon in a lot of these countries. One difference between other RHD manufacturers and Holden is that Holden catered to mostly Australia and NZ (with some small export numbers). Other manufacturers are catering to any combination of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Japan, the UK, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and more (which is probably close to 2 billion people?)

You've also got to take into account the monumental costs of converting infrastructure, road signage as well as converting public transport and potentially residential vehicles.

I wonder if dealerships will convert to full on service centers. Will they still operate used car sales? Maybe some will switch brands, but looks like it's going to be a messy time for business owners/groups.

I wonder if dealerships will convert to full on service centers. Will they still operate used car sales? Maybe some will switch brands, but looks like it's going to be a messy time for business owners/groups.
A while back a lot of the Holden dealers were shut down here in Adelaide, of course in Holdens wisdom they shut down the good ones and left the crap ones going :rolleyes:, so most of them kept their service departments open and changed to used car dealerships. The main issue for Holden owners is they can't do any warranty work, all that is left to the crap dealers. I've had my HSV into them 5 times so far for a faulty seat belt sensor and heard every excuse under the sun for why they can't fix it :banghead:. It's no wonder GM have pulled the pin.

This new Holden showroom is due to open in about two weeks here so obviously the dealers had no prior knowledge. It's also possibly going to send one of the last Holden dealers here broke... and it's the only Holden dealer that's somewhat close to where I live :(
424241d863c3dda859c460f7cbd1d378.jpg

:lol:👍

If this does go ahead. Would assume they'd probably keep the HSV name, if only for brand recognition? Know a lot of people like to criticize Ryan Walkinshaw about the race team's (lack of) performance and it's probably fair to do so but what he has done with HSV over the past three years. Think he's pretty damn shrewd businessman.
As far as I'm aware, HSV is a private (though half-owned by GM). It does bring up questions of whether they'll continue to convert imported Chevrolets, change their focus to refurbishing/modifying used cars or just throw in the towel.

Back