Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Wasn't Behemoth the one that replaced its scoop with weird plastic bits in the last season? Cherub was just very tenacious, a bit flukey but that lad was good on the controls when many of their opponents seemed half asleep. Moot point anyway as neither progressed =)

Wasn't Behemoth the one that replaced its scoop with weird plastic bits in the last season?

The 3 pieces of white drainpipe scoop? I think that was the original Aftershock?... That scoop was useless though, almost an afterthought of a weapon!

Wasn't Behemoth the one that replaced its scoop with weird plastic bits in the last season? Cherub was just very tenacious, a bit flukey but that lad was good on the controls when many of their opponents seemed half asleep. Moot point anyway as neither progressed =)
That was Shockwave. It was a solid idea, but it wasn't mounted very well, and the hardox scoop would have been better for all the battles.

That was garbage. I'm so sick of robots dying after one hit. In the olden days they weren't as powerful but they at least worked!

Tauron: Got hit once and died.

Chimera 2: Got hit more than once and died.

Expulsion: Got hit once and died.

Foxic: Had a srimech that didn't work.

M.R Speed Squared: Barely worked at all, and when it did is destroyed itself.

Heavy Metal: Not really sure what the weapon was meant to do since it never worked.

Thor: Barely scraped through after doing virtually nothing except not break down.

Concussion: Had a pretty easy ride considering they did very little damage and also barely worked.

I think this is the first heat where literally none of the robots worked properly. Every eliminator so far has involved at least one robot getting hit once and dying, few others are going the distance either.

That was garbage. I'm so sick of robots dying after one hit. In the olden days they weren't as powerful but they at least worked!

Tauron: Got hit once and died.

Chimera 2: Got hit more than once and died.

Expulsion: Got hit once and died.

Foxic: Had a srimech that didn't work.

M.R Speed Squared: Barely worked at all, and when it did is destroyed itself.

Heavy Metal: Not really sure what the weapon was meant to do since it never worked.

Thor: Barely scraped through after doing virtually nothing except not break down.

Concussion: Had a pretty easy ride considering they did very little damage and also barely worked.

I think this is the first heat where literally none of the robots worked properly. Every eliminator so far has involved at least one robot getting hit once and dying, few others are going the distance either.
Last year had a god awful episode too, so it's just following new robot Wars tradition. :lol:

Reliability is killing this season for me, too many robots are dying after one hit and barely working in in the round robin.

HIGH-5: Got hit once and died.

Crushtacean: Got hit once and died.

Apex: Got hit once and died.

Wyrm: Knocked itself out and then demonstrated why armour (and calibration) is important, was still entertaining to watch!

Frostbite: Glad they got through, but the design was so basic and outdated that they were never gonna last, if this was Series 4 they probably could've made the heat final.

Supernova: Too powerful for its own good.

Pulsar: Too powerful for its own good.

Ironside-3: Too powerful for its own good.

Just watched the latest episode and I have to agree that it's a bit of a mickey take that the robots are dying after one hit, but I have a more important point - what's happened to the flippers? Robots like Chaos 2, Roadblock, Spawn Again - they were fantastic robots but they appear not to be used in the current series. Have they be deemed illegal?

No, the producers picked a lot of spinners this series, and it's starting to bite back. Apollo is in the next episode, so that'll be fine.

Chaos 2 would likely have gone the way of Frostbite if it appeared again, it was destroyed back in Extreme 2, so what modern spinners would do is not worth pondering.

Series 10 will be happening soon, filming in May. Entrapment devices are allowed again, so nets and stuff to stop spinners will be legal. Hopefully they'll bring in more axes and flippers.

No, the producers picked a lot of spinners this series.

Indeed, after I typed this up I did a bit more digging on the Robot Wars Wiki page, and it does appear there are a fair number of flippers, they are just outnumbered by spinners. The episode that has just been on (26/03/2017) does appear to have dominated by the spinners.

What is making the spinners so powerful now, is it the digital motors from Dysons and so on? Or are they carrying more weight?

30kg of Steel spinning at 1500rpm is really powerful, same as 10kg spinning at 8000rpm. Technology has just advanced so much that motors can deal with massive gearing, weight and spin-up time.

There are only six flippers this series and eighteen spinners. Crank-E, TMHWK, Hobgoblin, Push To Exit, Tauron, Expulsion, Foxic, Wyrm, HIGH-5, Apex and Crushtacean have all been hit/flipped once in their eliminator and that's it.

At what point do you limit the amount of resources a team can bring for repairs?
Pulsar in particular were doing a complete overhaul of virtually all the components each match, not because of the damage inflicted by other robots but because it burnt itself out every. single. fight. through nothing else but poor design.

They like to make a huge point out of Ellis Ware being a self-taught engineer however the reliability of Pulsar both this series and last series hasn't really shown him off...

At what point do you limit the amount of resources a team can bring for repairs?
Pulsar in particular were doing a complete overhaul of virtually all the components each match, not because of the damage inflicted by other robots but because it burnt itself out every. single. fight. through nothing else but poor design.
They might as well just turn up with 5 robots.

Episode certainly was what I expected. Won't spoil but if you haven't seen it yet, I urge you all to go see it.

Pumped for next weeks final. 👍

Quite refreshing to have a heat with no one-hit kills!

Ms Nightshade: I had expected the arms/wings/petals to be slower than that, if it had actually moved under it's own power if would consider that a victory in its own right. Looked like a starfish with the arms flapping around!

Rusty: Appears to be built out of rust, completely fell to pieces at the hands of a flipper. Fun fact: This robot is actually call Ceros, which made the heat final in Series 7 in a different guise that actually half resembled a rhino...

Trolley Rage: An upturned shopping trolley and Carbide, what did you expect...

Meggamouse: This robot is very good on the live circuit, they did attempt to flip Carbide, but they once again showed why after Hypno-Disc appeared everyone mysteriously stopped building robots with exposed wheels...

Coyote: Looks great, has a vintage, steampunk kind of look, easily could have been an early sketch-up of Matilda. But it was never gonna happen.

Crackers n Smash: Take notes, Gemini, a clusterbot that's actually effective! Yeah the weapons were removed (not that they looked like they'd have done much anyway), but they were incredibly strong and driven really well, demonstrating the argument for clusterbots, now they just need weapons.

Apollo: If Carbide had been working properly in the grand final last year Apollo would have lost, so it's not really surprising to me that they got knocked out twice.

Carbide: Smashed the arena again, I want to see them face Aftershock.

And now the wild cards:

Sabre Tooth: Only made the heat final because Terrorhurtz and Jellyfish/Rapid took more damage than them and then didn't last in the heat final. No chance.

Cherub: Didn't do much in their round robin and then got thrown out straight away by Eruption: No chance.

Thor: Actually worked, though not very effective and went the distance in the heat final despite never hitting Concussion: Good chance.

Pulsar: Took more damage from itself than its opponents, drained their pool of spare parts and died after one hit. No chance.

Apollo: Didn't work at full capacity but still worked nonetheless, being depending champions probably goes in their favour. My tip to get the wild card.

Last edited:
Lots of good battles in this episode.

The spinners, whether drum or blade, are really unstoppable this season. Carbide's only weakness is literally their tyres or if they self destruct. Do love Apollo though, hope they wildcard it back in.

So, for the final we have a flywheel, flipper, spinning drum and two horizontal bar spinners. The wild cards are two spinning drums, rotating prongs, an axe and a flipper. Apollo is the most likely wild card for me. I think them plus Concussion are most likely to go out in the eliminators, and the final two will be Aftershock and Carbide.

Last edited:
Carbide just looks so menacing in the Black and Green. The best part is the illuminated weapon, the green glow signalling doom is just fantastic.

Series 10 will be happening soon, filming in May. Entrapment devices are allowed again, so nets and stuff to stop spinners will be legal. Hopefully they'll bring in more axes and flippers.

They are really getting these series out quickly. After watching Battlebots Season 1 last Christmas and falling in love with robot fighting again I was going to make it a Christmas tradition as such.

But we had Robot Wars at the end of last year, the Xmas special and then just as I was wondering about BB Season 2 the second series of RW is on the TV! It's brilliant being spoilt for choice after years of nothing.

I'm not really bothered about who or what enters next season as long as it's expanded to the scope of the old format with 12/16 heats, two semis and a grand final.

Carbide was everything I wanted it to be last year. :drool:

A spinner that's powerful enough to not kill itself and also has the ability to deal sustained damage rather than pinging bots away after one hit. It's utterly phenomenal.

I really can't see it going down in the Grand Final - barring issues with the internals.

I was very disappointed with Crackers N Smash forfeiting the fight against Carbide. I know why they did it, but it seemed a bit underhand.

Just in case you don't know, the Grand Final will be in 2 weeks, on Easter weekend, as the Masters Golf is on this Sunday

Carbide's win was absolutely zero surprise but well-earned now that it's working properly. What a beast of a machine! Disappointed for Concussion and Apollo, definitely deserved a better run!

Back