Ross Brawn new Team Principal at Honda

United Kingdom
Darkest Kent....
Slackbladder
DarkSideDaMoon
news.bbc.co.uk

Ferrari's Brawn to be Honda boss

The struggling Honda team have secured a major coup by appointing former Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn as their new team principal.

The 52-year-old Englishman is expected to be confirmed in his new role on Monday, BBC Sport has learnt, with Nick Fry continuing as chief executive.

Now this has come as a bit of a surprise. I thought Brawn was heading to another team but Honda wasn't on my list. Of course even his talents can be wasted if the car's a dog. I only hope Honda produce a decent machine.

If Honda don't turn their fortune around in 08 with Brawn at the helm, then they really should forget about F1.

Nice coup for the team.

Wow....this is great!!!!! :D Now i really hope Ross can turn the teams fortunes around....Maybe Button can get that good car he always dream of driving.....

Only one thing that keeps my hopes down of Jenson getting a good car, and that is it was stated that next years Honda has already been designed... and if its anything remotely like the 07 car, I wish him luck.

Only one thing that keeps my hopes down of Jenson getting a good car, and that is it was stated that next years Honda has already been designed... and if its anything remotely like the 07 car, I wish him luck.

I totally agree and I feel that Jenson does deserve a good car; but I suppose even if the 08 car is bad, Honda can probably look forward to a revived 09/future car with Brawn.

I guess Button won't be waving the clause in his contract around so much for now.

Pyrelli

It's probably more of a case of getting the team in shape under Brawn's influence; he might not be making the cars himself but hopefully he'll have a say/contribution as to what direction the developments on the car go.

Pyrelli

If Honda do not exploit Brawn's technical knowledge for their future cars I'll be stupified.

And to add to that...

Just moments after Honda confirmed the signing of Ross Brawn, Ferrari have announced that Stefano Domenicali will replace Jean Todt.

The team revealed that sporting director Domenicali will take on the role of Director of the Gestione Sportiva as of January 1 2008. The position is currently held by Todt.

Other changes include technical director Mario Almondo stepping up into the role of operations director while Aldo Costa will become the new technical director.

Gilles Simon has been promoted to engine director.

Meanwhile it remains to be seen what role Todt will take at the team and whether he will stay on as the head of the Ferrari automobile company.

I can has RA08?

:D

Best thing that happened for Honda in quite a while, after losing their last two targets to the Spy Scandal.

you won't see his effects until mid 08 by the earliest I would think, usualy next years cars designs are worked from the start of the season(remember in the spygate that the McMerc guy was designing the 08 car when he had the documents)

The news about Jean Todt leaving the Ferrari F1 team immediately brought one thought into my mind.

Todt himself said that Alonso would never drive Ferrari unless he was suspended. Well, now we see Todt has suddenly been suspended... anyone else seeing a connection, even if a very faint one, here?

The news about Jean Todt leaving the Ferrari F1 team immediately brought one thought into my mind.

Todt himself said that Alonso would never drive Ferrari unless he was suspended. Well, now we see Todt has suddenly been suspended... anyone else seeing a connection, even if a very faint one, here?

yeah , it has been speculated that once Todt was removed the driver who is manged by his son won't be as important any more

considering the news I read a few weeks ago in my local newspaper (the ones I posted here ), it would seem that Alonso might indeed be driving for Ferrari in 2009 ...

I've heard rumours of Ross Brawn's first investment into the new 2008 Honda car.

pw%204098-s.jpg

Is this going to be the next big "spy" scandal?

Maybe once the car gets good they'll fire Button and bring back Schumacher. :dunce:

Would be funny, though he went out with his career pretty much at his highest...to come back would be a Hill-esque downfall

thats known as "looking for a challange" I guess he was bored from playing at the top, now he wants to get a team up there and thats a different ball game all together

Brawn won't have an direct impact on the car until mid year, as started. He said himself the 08 car is already well under production; improvements won't be fast. The room for strategy in F1 has dwindled as well so I doubt we'll see any of his famous strategic calls for a while either, but it's certainly encouraging for Honda after such a dismal year to have someone of such calibre who obviously believes in them (I hardly think Brawn would be underpaid at any job so I doubt it was just a cheque that got him there).

As for Alonso at Ferrari, *cries* Please god no. Please.

True, but "looking for a challenge" always has the risk of "ruining your career" so if Schumi has the smarts, he'll stay out of it unless Ferrari came back in for him...which I doubt they will, teams now have to look ahead...not behind

Exactly. I wouldn’t expect to see Brawn’s influence until 2009, and even then I don’t expect them to be winning consistently any time soon. As Eagle said, the scope for inspired strategy is significantly less these days (in fact I can only remember two really inspired calls this year, from Spyker and Super Aguri as it happens).

I don’t understand why Shuhei Nakamoto is still going to be in a senior design position, though. Everything he touches loses 30% of it’s downforce. Besides which, Honda have recruited so many aero people of late that they’re hardly scrambling to find talent in their organisation to replace him…

(in fact I can only remember two really inspired calls this year, from Spyker and Super Aguri as it happens)

I guess the Spyker one you're referring to is the start on Inters in Germany... But which one were the Aguris?

Putting Sato on super-soft tyres for 1 lap during the safety car period in Montreal allowing him to slice through the field in the latter stages when everyone else was struggling on badly grained softs.

Putting Sato on super-soft tyres for 1 lap during the safety car period in Montreal allowing him to slice through the field in the latter stages when everyone else was struggling on badly grained softs.

That was one of the reasons he was able to pass Alonso, correct?

Latest Posts

Back