RUF Around the Edges

ferrari_chris

fcOnTheWeb.com
Premium
ferrari_chris
xzXEmmQ.jpg

It was a slow day in the office when the call came in – an RUF collector was setting up at the local track and there was an open invitation to have a go in the cars. Worth a look then.

After arriving it is easily deduced that these are no ordinary RUF’s. These ones are in mint, factory condition with minimal miles on each example. In chronological order they range from a black ’86 BTR, an ’87 CTR (a.k.a. a Yellowbird) in yellow of course, a ’96 CTR2 in sky-blue, a silver 3400S and a greenish yellow RGT both from the year 2000. All cars are RR format except the 3400S which is MR.

They are all prepped with new fluids and a soft compound sports tyre. The owner instructs we are free to have a few laps in each of them – as long as we were gentle. The hardest decision is choosing which one to take out first.

The 3400S is closest to pit exit, so away we go! Straight away it is easy to tell this car is a great handler. The suspension is firm, but not hard. Just what you’d expect from a sports car in this class. From the RUF factory there is sports suspension allowing some adjustment in the areas of ride height, damping and camber. We decide to leave these settings as the owner prefers. The firmness of the suspension combined with MR chassis mean it can get a bit nervous over bumps – this is best illustrated by ripple strips which can really throw the car offline if hit hard. Smooth and pure is the name of the game here. The handling is neutral tending to understeer, but that doesn’t mean that oversteer isn’t available. There’s some to be had on turn-in under braking, and it’s there on exit too under full power, but only if provoked. In both cases it’s easily held and controlled. It benefits from a slow-in fast-out technique, braking early until turn-in, then holding to the apex and full power right through the exit. The power available and the chassis setup mean there are no traction issues with this car.
The 3.4 litre Boxer 6 is bolted to a 6 speed manual box and together they combine to provide a very tidy package. The power and torque numbers don’t set any records (240KW@6800rpm and 378Nm@4750) but in the small 1300Kg body they never leave the car wanting for power. There’s no turbo in sight, but the sports exhaust fitted at the RUF factory still manages an occasion blast of flame on down-change which hints at the car’s potential.
The downside with this car (as all RUFs are renowned for) is the brakes which in this application are on the smallish side. Most times they are adequate for the need, but from the really high speeds at the end of longer straights they could do with being a bit bigger. It runs a lap of 1:23.115.

After pitting the 3400S, next car out is the BTR. Older, slightly less insane brother to the famous Yellowbird, it’s intriguing to see how this car will run. It also comes from the factory with sports suspension offering the same adjustability as the 3400S, but it comes with a slightly more potent exhaust – the semi-racing model. That exhaust combined with the turbo push the 3.4 litre Boxer 6 single-overhead-cam engine to 290KW@6000rpm and a whopping 504Nm@4800rpm.
On the track it feels softer on its suspension – this leads to more mid-corner and exit understeer. Overall, the BTR tends more towards understeer, but that doesn’t mean oversteer isn’t available. In fact, the backend steps out very easily under heavy braking with slight turn-in. This oversteer is easily held and corrected though so not a large hurdle But in contrast to this turn-in oversteer, the front end lacks bite. An interesting technique for longer corners is to pump the car through. As understeer starts to creep in, a lift of the accelerator tucks the nose back in and oversteer will start to appear. A little more accelerator catches the oversteer and brings the understeer back into play. ‘Pumping’ the accelerator like this helps the car to hold a line through the corner, and a well skilled sequence can see full power applied at the precise point to allow it to be ridden all the way to the outside of the track at exit and a slingshot off down the straight. All of this comes down to the softer suspension setup, but that does have good points. The BTR is not troubled by bumps and ripple strips, so all of the road can be used on corner exit for maximum speed down the straight. Getting that speed can be tricky sometimes though. The engine feels very lifeless off boost, which is around 4000rpm, so being caught in the wrong one of the five possible gears is punished with the loss of valuable tenths.
Speed piles on down the straight at an average pace, but reach the end of the straight, and you’ll be wishing you weren’t going at quite such a clip – a hefty push on the pedal is needed and while the speed is indeed falling, it just happens all too slow. Even though there’s only 1180Kg to stop, the braking area is long and needs some adjusting to - many an apex is missed during the adjustment period - but once countered for then the suspension dynamics can be exploited. Around the track it laps with a best of 1:23.696, a time hindered by the lack of brakes.

Next onto the track is the RGT. A late model RUF again (like the 3400S) it comes with the same sports suspension and semi-racing exhaust as the BTR. This time they push the naturally-aspirated 3.6 litre Boxer 6 to 297KW@7700rpm and 394Nm@5200rpm. This one likes to rev! And it makes a magnificent noise as the revs rise smoothly with no gaps or holes in the power delivery – just steady from idle to hard-cut. Again though, the brakes are poor. While they’re better than the BTR just experienced, they seem the same as the 3400S. However with an extra 30Kg to stop and a whack more speed they struggle. They prove to be the weak link in this chain.
The suspension is again firm as expected from such a sports car, and this leads to a more extreme ride, neutral tending towards oversteer. It sticks to the road well and isn’t thrown off course by bumps and ripple strips easily. All of the oversteer is found on turn-in and off-throttle, with the ability to apply power at will with little risk of the backend swinging. Again, for longer corners the ‘pumping’ technique works well to maintain speed. After a couple of left-right changes of direction the rear can start to pendulum a little but a prod of the accelerator settles the back. Again hurt by braking inadequacy, it runs a 1:22.274.

Next to blast out onto the track is perhaps the most legendary RUF, perhaps the most feared and perhaps the most revered – the Yellowbird. Or the CTR from 1987 as it’s officially known. In its rear it carries a turbo Boxer 6 displacing 3.4 litres and producing 362KW@5950rpm and 580Nm@5100rpm. It tips the scales at 1150Kg and comes complete with adjustable sports suspension, a full racing exhaust and a six speed gearbox.
On the track it runs with a softer suspension (like the BTR) which is soaks up bumps and ripples in the track with ease. With all that power on tap, it handles best with the accelerator in the carpet – but unfortunately this isn’t always appropriate. The power comes on rather progressively as the boost builds right through the rev-range, all transferred to the wheels through a 5 speed gearbox that is rarely found in the wrong gear.
The back end tends to pendulum from the weight of the engine during changes of direction but applying power (which is always fun) settles it. If only it was as easy to stop. Once again the brakes are the sticking point with this RUF. With so much speed being carried into the braking area, the brakes need to be good. These are quiet the opposite, they’re bad. As the gravel looms closer and closer, more and more pressure is applied but the car continues on, seemingly ignorant of the wishes of its driver. And the same can be said for some steering input. Under brakes the front wheels seem to not respond to the steering wheel. Combine these two aspects together and it adds up to a very early braking point to have all the braking done before any steering can be applied. Once the car does to turn-in though, the ‘pumping’ technique sees corners negotiated relatively easily and the joys of the power onto the next straight section being enjoyed one more time. With that power comes oversteer – to be had both on entry and exit – but in both cases it’s easily held and more of an entertainment aspect than a hindrance.
This car has very quick acceleration, but it’s the braking and handling that hold it back. Not as difficult a car to pedal around as its reputation suggests, the Yellowbird stops the clock at 1:21.336.

So, the last car for the day is the baby blue CTR2. The big-daddy of the field, its wielding 403KW@5800rpm and an incredible 719Nm@4800rpm from the 3.6 litre Boxer 6. Hefty (well, in this group anyway) at 1380Kg, but it does come with four-wheel-drive and a six speed box. It’s perhaps the most track focused car of the day with the full racing exhaust and a semi-racing suspension setup.
How all this translates on the track is a little less inspiring. The brakes are perhaps the best of the day (but overall still lacking when compared to its peers) but from there it’s further downhill. While all that power is very good from the exit of one corner to the end of the straight, it’s not so good anywhere else. The suspension doesn’t help as its understeer city most times. The car can’t be turned under brakes, the steering is unresponsive. Any power that is applied during the turn either lifts the front end and pushes it directly toward the outside of the corner, or simply sends the front tyres up in smoke. While the suspension is firm, unweighted wheels from ripple strips, bumps, or even uneven camber start the front wheels spinning.
This is very much a point and shoot car – it hurtles toward the next a corner but then is flummoxed as to how to get around it. It runs a disappointing 1:23.204.

So, an exciting day to say the least and certainly very eye opening. The Yellowbird is not to be as feared as it reputation suggests, and the ‘big baller’ of the pack proves to be a large let down. Driving away from the track the mind mulls over the cars, and given the unreal opportunity to own any one of them it’s hard to go past the 3400S. While it’s not the most powerful, or the most prestigious, it is the most rewarding. Easy to drive it rewards skilled effort with quick lap times. It might get beaten in the traffic light grand prix, but get up in the hills where the roads aren’t as straight and many more expensive cars will be left looking at its tail-lights. The 3400S is the one to choose.

Crunch the Numbers:

GJ72pWq.gif

V8fNEte.gif

93P8SDv.gif

r7m4h6P.gif

Last edited:
Very nice! Exactly the same as my experiences with every car. The 3400 is the sportiest, and feels the lightest on his feet. The rest has a big engine in the rear wich doesn't help with braking.

WOW! Impressive!! Looks like I was reading some magazine article!! 👍
Very good choice of words and very detailed! Inspiring. :drool:
Congrats :cheers:

Now I wan't one one of those...

Very nice, no, make that exceptional! 👍

You didn't mention the test track again, but I'm assuming from the laptimes and the pictures that we're looking at Autumn Ring again? ;)

Thankyou for the compliments everyone, theyre greatly appreciated. It spurs me on to get started on the next one. :)

Smallhorses
... You didn't mention the test track again, but I'm assuming from the laptimes and the pictures that we're looking at Autumn Ring again? ;)
That's correct, and it likely always will be.

It's got a combination of slow corners, faster corners, changes of direction, straights, off camber corners... An excellent test track I think.

Great report and very well written.

Have to say the 3400s is an outstanding car too, my own particular favourite Ruf is the BTR though.

I have to disagree that the Yellowbird has poor brakes though, I spend two weeks with this car at the Ring for the NRS grand final and it takes some adapting too in my opinion.

The CTR2 is also a car that falls victim to criticism but is actually massively capable if the power available is respected!

again well done and keep up the good work:tup:

regards

David

Nice write up there ferrari_chris!
Have to agree w/you regarding the 3400S...that is one sweet ride!

I will admit that I really enjoy the Yellowbird though for my own personal driving pleasure!

It's like reading a Motor Trend article on a specific maker of cars. My experience with RUF cars, the older it is, the worse it gets, and I've managed to decently handle the CTR 2 which looks just like the GT2 by Porsche. Anyway, this article here is a great way to look at all the RUF cars without buying it myself...and wasting my millions..

Brilliant article. I'm assuming you've done these before, I got here from the link in your sig.

I'll definitely be back to check out these race reports.

Tick ticked and greatly deserved. :cheers:

SuperT
Brilliant article. I'm assuming you've done these before, I got here from the link in your sig. ....
Just the two so far - this one and Supra Supreme.

Thanks again to you and everyone else for their comments, they're greatly appreciated.

The next test is in the planning stages and hopefully should be less than a month away. It takes one session to test the cars, one session to make the photos and one session to write it up. Finding all that time can be difficult in between the WRS, playing normal GT4 and real-life, but hopefully I'll squeeze it in there.

Thanks again. :)

Mr FerrariChris - have you ever thought of writing professionally (probably you do) - obviously you can drive AND write - it's hard enough getting EITHER to work for a publication... i wrote about driving my old BMW and the local paper picked me - now i am the official driver for Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo and Porsche for the local dealers...and none of them star in GT4 (hopefully in GT5 they'll appear!!!)

yaijai
Mr FerrariChris - have you ever thought of writing professionally (probably you do) - obviously you can drive AND write ...
Thanks. I did actually investigate doing a journalism degree a few years back, but decided it wasn't the career for me. I'd want to test cars but likely end up as a court-reporter for years on end. :rolleyes:

yaijai
... now i am the official driver for Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo and Porsche for the local dealers ...
Define "official driver". What do you do?

One word: Brilliant. Aside from the cool cars I get to read about I get to ENJOY READING IT! Very readable, smooth, and flowing. Fantastic, er.. two words I guess... Brilliant and Fantastic!

m.piedgros

Mr FC - here in my city we only have one dealer per marque - and the high-end dealers have all agreed that i will be the ONLY freelance-journo to drive their cars and review them in the local English paper. And to stay in my good books, they tend to lend me top-of-the-range models for a few days, which means i don't have to drive my own rust-bucket very much! on occasions, i'm also invited to track-days to test the newest prototypes or drive the pace-cars for their one-make events!!!

Nice one chris, a very pleasant read, good job with the pictures too. You obviously spent alot of time and effort with it, and that doesn't go unnoticed.

I have driven some of the RUF's many moons ago on GT3 and I can only recollect the fact that the more powerfull RUF's tended to understeer chronically! (namely the RGT) Actually the very first car i "drove" in GT3 was the 3400s in what can only be described as a light purplely livery, I remember the ease at which it graced the track and its looks were incredible.

However one thing was slightly bothering me - which is this- I can't quite beleive that the 3400s beat both the CTR2 and the wonderful BTR, I haven't actually "driven" any RUF's in GT4 as of yet, however your findings have inspired me to do so - just to see if the (allbeit slightly soft) 3400s can actually beat the turbo tyrants. Once again good work, please write more excellent reports, cheers!

SlowlyButSurely
... However one thing was slightly bothering me - which is this- I can't quite beleive that the 3400s beat both the CTR2 and the wonderful BTR, I haven't actually "driven" any RUF's in GT4 as of yet, however your findings have inspired me to do so - just to see if the (allbeit slightly soft) 3400s can actually beat the turbo tyrants. Once again good work, please write more excellent reports, cheers!
Thanks you.

It was surprising, but I think it all comes down to the fact that the CTR2 and the BTR are overpowered. Not so much in the case of the BTR, but definately the CTR2.

The 3400S has capable brakes, and good handling. And it's all in the handling where the 3400S pulls ahead. Plus, it is fun to drive and so easier to extract quick lap times from.

The BTR has more power, and so struggles when braking and the RR format leads to its inferior handling compared to the 3400S. As the car has to be fought around the whole track, tying a fast lap together is difficult.

The CTR2 is worse, and is downright unpleasant to drive. Understeer at every input of the wheel, and wheelspin in just about every gear. Add to this the small brakes, and the car needs to be 'babied' around the track. To find a tight line takes a lot of effort.

It's these factors that make them slower - they're so much more difficult to drive whereas the 3400S can just be thrown and driven. As a result quick times come from it. It's well balanced and can be positioned easily, something that is a fight with the others.

As for the next report, well, I'm as busy as can be right now. But that'll be done in a week or two, so the plan is to have the next one published before the end of the month. :) Make sure you check out my other report, Supra Supreme (there's a link in my signature) as well. 👍

I had a go in the 3400s i raced 10 laps at autumn ring, then i jumped in the RGT and my first lap beat my best time in the 3400s over 10 laps by over a second! I guess it suits my driving style, that BTR is a real handful it just wants to go sideways all the time.

edit: chris your times are amazing I cannot get anywhere near them, how many attempts did you have to get those legendary times?

SlowlyButSurely
I had a go in the 3400s i raced 10 laps at autumn ring, then i jumped in the RGT and my first lap beat my best time in the 3400s over 10 laps by over a second! I guess it suits my driving style, that BTR is a real handful it just wants to go sideways all the time.
This reflects what I found - my RGT time is about 8.5 tenths faster than the 3400S.

I certainly didn't whallop the time on the first lap though... :nervous:

How many laps do you take the cars around the track? When I test mine I usually do 5. Not too many but I figure by 5 I should have the car figured decently by then. Anyway great review once again!

Usually around 20.

I like to give them a good work out to really test all aspects of the car's handling and power. I'll try and be really aggressive with it, then try being really smooth. I'll also change my shift points to see how it handles that.

And while doing all of that I'm trying to squeeze out the quickest lap I can to get accurate results for each car.

Thanks again dude. :)

Back