Rumour of US shortage of Sony memory cards?

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 18 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Guys,

A work colleague who is a fellow PS2 gamer said he heard from his local EB store (in Australia) that there was a shortage of PS2 Sony memory cards in the US, and that a number of EB stores were having huge trouble getting hold of cards (e.g. order 300, get 6, that sort of thing).

I was just interested as to whether or not that was true. I have two cards so I don't care.

I've got my one so it doesn't make a difference to me. I was at Best Buy (major electronics store/chain) and they had all kinds of periferals (sp?) but I honestly don't remember seeing memory cards. There may be some truth to this.

~LoudMusic

doesnt effect me, 3 memory card i have, but havent used 2 of them. 25 game saves on the one card, with room for about 10 more or so. so i figure i'll need about 100 games before i run out of memory card space

I was almost shocked to see how small they were getting the saves. Especially the GT3 data ... the other guys just don't have the data structures know-how to REALLY shrink a file. At first I thought 8MB was a bit chinchy on such a new system, but now I'm seeing that it's quite a bit.

~LoudMusic

At our local Fry's Electronics, huge computer strore, there were no Sony PS2 memory cards but some generic, including a 16 MB card!
...but, like everyone here, I don't yet need more than my one.

I had a bad experience with a PSX 3rd party card, and I've never had ANY problem with any Sony product ever (including the mini-walkman I dropped in the toilet!), so I'm probably a bit biased in that regard.

Whew, don't mention 3rd party peripherals...my GT2 game was wiped out by a faulty card only a few % away from completion. :mad:

NCAA Dynasty and WWF Smackdown are over 3mb each and i havent seen any many 8mb memos in a while, and my 16mb memo works just fine!

Originally posted by Jordan
Whew, don't mention 3rd party peripherals...my GT2 game was wiped out by a faulty card only a few % away from completion. :mad:

I feel your pain brother - I was two races from finishing the reverse championship on TOCA when my 3rd party card 'retired' - countless hours of racing lost, including the championship where I made the pass to pick up the point I needed to win my first championship on the last corner at the last race at Silverstone.

Oh well - it was fun getting back to that position again, even if it did take me three months...

I personally had no luck in tracking down a memory card, after 4-6 weeks of hunting I just got mad and bought a Sharkport. <shrug> It's a functional solution, but certainly not the best plan. Too much work unhookin' the PS2 and strolling to another room.

It's been another month and I check everytime I'm in EB and they have yet to get any in. So, I yes, I think it's a complete North American shortage.

Back