Russian Invasion of Ukraine

• Thread starter Rage Racer
  • 9,328 comments

Now, Google in Russia is effectively shut down anyway, and the subsidiary even declared bankruptcy last month. So... what legal requirement does Google actually have to pay any of these fines going forward anyway? The article notes:

But says who? If the company isn't really operating anymore in Russia and don't seem to really care how Russia responds to its actions, what can Russia actually do to extract any payment? I suspect nothing and the company response will effectively be "Good luck with that," but I'm legitimately curious what route Russia could do to get any more money from Google when they already froze their Russian bank accounts and stole the money from them before the Russian arm shut down.
I presume they're setting up the re-entry fee for the time Google decides to come back to the country whenever it's politically feasible to do so. All these companies that left Russia are likely to return and try to take advantage of the depressed economy when the next regime change happens, and no doubt the Russian government will try to shake them down for as much as they can to line their own pockets bolster the... no wait, never mind, line their own pockets is the right answer here.

IDK. Why would companies go back? Even with a change.

They are the same as North Korea now. Instead of nuking the ocean several times a year, they play games with global economy.

Gas, food, everything. People everywhere should be mad. At Russia. Not local governments who are forced do deal with this on top of other crises already ongoing.

If Russians want a life they will have to defect or move to China or India. Leading to further Brain Drain and money pulled out of domestic banks, which I doubt is there now. I don't see the sanctions lifted for at least 10 years because they would be no reason to.

Terrorist attacks against Kharkiv, Mykolaiv and other frontline cities still a thing. Meanwhile, Ukraine striking Antonovskiy bridge, which is main way to resupply Kherson. Without it RF forces in Kherson will be doomed. Arestovich said that deoccupation will start soon.

22.07 - agreement about corridor for transportation of grain between RF, Ukraine, Turkey, UN.
23.07 - rocket strike against Odessa port.

22.07 - agreement about corridor for transportation of grain between RF, Ukraine, Turkey, UN.
That's infuriating.

Always the same disgusting cowards.

1)It wasn't me.
3)It was me, but we hit Harpoon rockets.
2)It was me, but we sink some military boat.

At least, they don't tell everyone that it was Ukrainian Caliber rocket from Ukrainian submarine.

2fb0e0593a6a0a07de957de7bf14fe3b.jpg

1)It wasn't me.
3)It was me, but we hit Harpoon rockets.
2)It was me, but we sink some military boat.

At least, they don't tell everyone that it was Ukrainian Caliber rocket from Ukrainian submarine.

View attachment 1176448
Surprised they didn't just go with "The Ukrainian wheat is hiding Nazis".

I think the Russians do want to ship out wheat to a starving world. But I think they want to do it with a new corridor running south through Iran.

I think the Russians do want to ship out wheat to a starving world. But I think they want to do it with a new corridor running south through Iran.

Good for them to want that. They can then ship THEIR wheat through that pointless corridor requiring sea-land-sea routes. Agreeing to open a corridor for Ukraine and then bombing the harbor where Ukraine could export its wheat means they made a deal in bad faith and/or didn't intend to uphold the deal. The United Nothing at work!

Good for them to want that. They can then ship THEIR wheat through that pointless corridor requiring sea-land-sea routes. Agreeing to open a corridor for Ukraine and then bombing the harbor where Ukraine could export its wheat means they made a deal in bad faith and/or didn't intend to uphold the deal. The United Nothing at work!
The wheat that manages to get harvested in Ukraine will eventually find its way to market unless it gets burned up or rots. European truck and rail will get it to market, albeit at a small fraction of the efficiency of ship transport. There may be some that becomes appropriated by the Russians. Perhaps they will bring it to market, too. "The global market place assures plenty for all" is a lie we tell ourselves over and over again. Meanwhile, the UN has declared a global food emergency, worrying that scores of millions will die of famine over the next two years.

War psychosis update: orcs across Mordor are deeply upset that Europe is rejecting their false reality, and will act swiftly to push their collective heads a few inches deeper up their asses in retaliation.

Massive forces send to Kherson with real chances to be locked without supplies under HIMARS fire. Antonovskiy bridge already looks like colander and railroad bridge near it will be next. Meanwhile, battle for Vuhlehirska power station was lost by Ukrainians. Arestovich is blaming incompetency of local commanders. Most likely, battle for Kherson will be point of no return.

Massive forces send to Kherson with real chances to be locked without supplies under HIMARS fire. Antonovskiy bridge already looks like colander and railroad bridge near it will be next. Meanwhile, battle for Vuhlehirska power station was lost by Ukrainians. Arestovich is blaming incompetency of local commanders. Most likely, battle for Kherson will be point of no return.
So if the Ukranians lose Kherson, it's over and vice versa for the Russians?

So if the Ukranians lose Kherson, it's over and vice versa for the Russians?
From political stand point, Kherson is a biggest victory for RF. Sure, they already captured Mariupol and Severodonetsk, but those two looks like Stalingrad in 1943. Meanwhile, Kherson was captured just like RF want it - without casualties and destruction. For months, RF propoganda telling us that Kherson will be Russian after referendum in September. If Ukraine recapture it, Putin cant argue that "everything going just like I plan it" anymore.

Another big deal here, is massive forces that is send to defend it. If those forces would be lost - RF will lose ability to capture big targets.

At worst, this would last for months and both sides would be paralyzed until West send enough goods to break RF.

Anecdote Alert: A friend of mine has shown me video her own family have taken of the aftermath of a missile attack on Mykolaiv, a city near occupied Kherson.

Mykolaiv is a strategically important transport and shipbuilding hub and these key targets must be why Russia bombed a hostel and two schools.

To combat 'stuff', Russia has released a video to try and encourage people to move their...

...now aside from being odd overall, they need a word with whoever did the English subtitles, as I'm not sure having a cation of 'beautiful women' on screen when the image is what appears to be six-year-old girls running in a field!

I note that they miss out that the social media channel they use to put this out is actually heavily restricted within Russia itself.

Last edited:
To combat 'stuff', Russia has released a video to try and encourage people to move their...

...now aside from being odd overall, they need a word with whoever did the English subtitles, as I'm not sure having a cation of 'beautiful women' on screen when the image is what appears to be six-year-old girls running in a field!

I note that they miss out that the social media channel they use to put this out is actually heavily restricted within Russia itself.

Saw this posted elsewhere, maybe two weeks ago, but at the time it was generally accepted as being satire.

Really confusing to see it now posted by an official social media channel.

Saw this posted elsewhere, maybe two weeks ago, but at the time it was generally accepted as being satire.

Really confusing to see it now posted by an official social media channel.
Which does mean we have entertain the possibility it's not satire!

Oh yeah, that's definitely a mistake. It was supposed to read "brides."

So this brings the US total to $9 billion given to Ukraine:

While that seems like a lot of money, it comes to roughly 1.2% of the US's yearly defense budget.

So this brings the US total to $9 billion given to Ukraine:

While that seems like a lot of money, it comes to roughly 1.2% of the US's yearly defense budget.
I agree Ukraine is the US's baby and needs life support. But comment by analysts on CNBC and other mainstream media indicate this steady flow of billions might soon be slowing down.

Back