Sauber Mercedes C 9 race car vs Minolta

I was doing the GTWC few days ago. I was using the MINOLTA qualified in first every race except Suzuka Circuit. I was always in the lead:sly: with the Mercedes Sauber C 9 Race Car '89 always on my butt. Is he faster or am I faster. BTW I put performance package in my race car but his was stock ( I think) besides stock my car has about 788hp which one is a better car give me your opinion

The Minolta is generally accepted as a favorite car around here, and your name indicates the same. I'm sure both are plenty fast in the hands of a skilled driver. My guess would be the Toyota, but I've never driven the Sauber so I don't really know.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Minolta? Because I don't, and I really don't know why. It's something about its handling or something, but I sold it not too long ago after receiving the 787B and the R92CP.

The Minolta is generally accepted as a favorite car around here...
I think a lot of people would agree that it is very fast car but I don't think there are too many that would call it a favourite (even if the choice is restricted to Group C cars).

...and your name indicates the same...
I thought he just liked cameras :P

In response to the original question - if you have an 88C-V with a Stage 4 turbo then you should be faster than everything except an FGT. In my experience the AI are more dangerous in a C9 than anything else (except the FGT) including the 88C-V.

Anyway the only way to find out if you are faster in a Sauber C9 or an 88C-V would be to take both out and do some test runs (you might even find that yoiu are faster without the Stage 4 turbo)

I'd take the Sauber over the Minolta any day... For some reason, after fiddling a bit with the Minolta, i can't get it to stay stable at high speeds. I also get better lap times with my driving style with the Sauber, 2 seconds on Midfield...

You may be interested in reading this!

I´d say the Toyota is faster in a straight line, but the the Sauber excels on track and economy. Wich makes the Sauber the obvious choice for an endurance race. If you choose between the 88C-V and the C9 that is...

Seems to me when I'm up against a Sauber Mercedes it's the car to beat regardless of whether or not there's an 88C-V in the field. If I were to choose one or the other to drive myself I'd go with the Sauber, I just like the feel of it better. But my weapon of choice in races where you encounter these cars is either the 787B or the Audi R8.

The 88C-V is a favourite ride for many people just because it's easy to obtain early in the game. The truth is that when compared to many other Le Mans racers it's difficult to drive, slow and has bad tyre life. The C9 is both faster and treats its tyres better so the choice should be pretty obvious.

- R -

I dont know what uare talking about the minolta works great IF U KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT The sauber mercedes is not worth racing fgt's for. And BTW the LE Mans cars are fastetr than the fgt's:tup:

Speaking about knowing how to handle cars, how do 85 gold trophies and 100% completion with 100% winning rate sound?

The link BobK provided shows just what I'm talking about. The Toyota is murderous to the rear tyres and has a tendency to lose grip at high speeds. I'm not saying that it's not a good car, there are no bad Le Mans racers out there, but it's not the best one. You even noticed it yourself in the opening post, the stock Sauber was able to challenge your tuned 88C-V. About the Le Mans cars being faster than the FGT, do you mean in straight line or around a racing course? I have yet to see a car that can beat the formula in hard cornering. :odd:

- R -

Speaking about knowing how to handle cars, how do 85 gold trophies and 100% completion with 100% winning rate sound?
Sounds like what it is and nothing more, it doesn't say much about how good you are at the game really. The gold trophies can be won in either a single shot, or after many repeated attempts. They don't show how good you are, I consider myself average at GT4 and I have all golds on the tests where I've gone for them. As for the races, they arn't difficult to keep a 100% win record, and somehow I suspect that if you were to switch GT4 on and lose a race, the computer would go off and you'd try again to keep that record. Regardless, your stats don't prove anything. The Minolta probably is the fastest in a straight line, and it's a very fact Group C car, it was only beaten in the test by one of the Nissans and the Sauber. Hardly "slow" as you put it. It's by no means an ideal endurance car, becuase it does eat it's rear tyres, but still by far not the worst LMP / Group C car in the game and it can absolutely blitz competitions like the GT World Champioship, GT All Starts and Real Circuit Tours.

Just raced the Sarthe 24 hours with the Toyota-88C-V (Minolta is just the sponsor!), and won it of course.
I think its funny that people always complain about the tire wear of the toyota 88C and the Jaguar XJR-9, with R1 tires on the rear the fuel is gone long before the rear tires turn even yellow. (La Sarthe with and without turns at straight)
You guys should try to half-accelerate through turns and accelerate after you went through the turn, decreasing toe at front suspension also avoids ''grinding'' the rear tires around slow turns.

I read somewhere here, that the minolta's power is more powerful than it really is in real life.

However, disregarding stats and nubmers given, the minolta is faster because one, it has 6 gears, allowing quicker acceleration. 2) the sauber goes at like 378 kmh MAX, while the minolta goes like 384 km/h.

Minolta is the type where "Speed > Endurance".
Sauber is the type where "Speed = Endurance".

To be more clear on that, Minolta is like Super Soft Tires, runs the best but dies the fastest (also eats more gas). Others like Audi R8 and CLK-GTR are like Super Hards, performance isn't greatest among all others but can run quite some time before needing to pit and refuel. Sauber is like Med. In between top performance ands top endurance,

Who sucks?

I would remind you to re-read the AUP. You know, the document you agreed to abide by when you signed up here. Specifically this bit:

Acceptable Use Policy
You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harrass, threaten, nor attack anyone or any group. There will be no racially, sexually or physically abusive or inciteful language tolerated. Any abusive comments made by members will be removed by the Moderating staff and the user issued with a warning or banned, as deemed appropriate by the Moderating staff. No personal attacks on other members will be tolerated. If you question someone, it must be done in a reasonable and semi-friendly manner. Violating this rule will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the board.

Now, lets get back to the discussion of the Sauber and the Minolta Toyota, and leave the name calling out of it.

Your "friend"? Riiiiiight. OK then, but remember its your account that'll get banned if "he" makes any more posts like that one.

Minolta is not a bad one,
but I have to agree that on Endurance head,
the tyres of Sauber would not wear out that soon when compared with 88C-V.
Of course, in terms of design, particularly the 6th gear, I love 88C-V more,
just that I don't quite like racing with it.

I'd go with the Minolta because it has the advantage of a 6th gear giving it faster acceleration, which is basically the only difference between the two.

I read somewhere here, that the minolta's power is more powerful than it really is in real life.

However, disregarding stats and nubmers given, the minolta is faster because one, it has 6 gears, allowing quicker acceleration. 2) the sauber goes at like 378 kmh MAX, while the minolta goes like 384 km/h.

To be more clear on that, Minolta is like Super Soft Tires, runs the best but dies the fastest (also eats more gas). Others like Audi R8 and CLK-GTR are like Super Hards, performance isn't greatest among all others but can run quite some time before needing to pit and refuel. Sauber is like Med. In between top performance ands top endurance,

Minolta is not a bad one,
but I have to agree that on Endurance head,
the tyres of Sauber would not wear out that soon when compared with 88C-V.
Of course, in terms of design, particularly the 6th gear, I love 88C-V more,
just that I don't quite like racing with it.

I'd go with the Minolta because it has the advantage of a 6th gear giving it faster acceleration, which is basically the only difference between the two.

it Looks like I covred this thread already...:lol:

I suggest you research gear ratio's before making such bold claims. Although I must admit, the 88C-v is a favorite among the 300mph club.

Also when you say 'Minolta is the type where "speed > Endurance" and 'Sauber is the type where "Speed = Endurance", you say that is if its a fact when in fact, while it is very much an opinion, I find the Sauber C9 to be quicker on the majority of courses, and it suits my driving style perfectly.

well, i did a few tests with both cars and the minolta turned out to be the better car but it beat the sauber not by much. The sauber is an awesome car and undoubtly one of the quickest i've driven in forever. The minolta, i found to be really easy to drive even screaming at 230 mph down the mulsanne straight of sarthe II :D. The C9 was a hair rasing experience at sartheII with the 88c-v i turned out a time of 3'00.667 and the sauber C9 was 3'04.716. hope that helps

From personal preference they are both fast and are capable of pulling similar lap times, but neither one is much fun IMO to drive. I would much rather drive the 787B or the R92CP instead. 👍

I dont know what uare talking about the minolta works great IF U KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT The sauber mercedes is not worth racing fgt's for. And BTW the LE Mans cars are fastetr than the fgt's:tup:

Try beating Midfield in 49 seconds in an LMP and we'll talk.

On R3's by the way, of course... FGT's can't get other tires.

the sauber is faster i just raced the superspeedway(endurance race) again, with a pescarolo judd race car(turbo stage 4). in spec b i saw the minolta and the sauber very close to each other but at the finishline the sauber got second and the minolta third(i got first:crazy: )

i only think that the sauber won because of the track.
so this isnt good proof after al:grumpy:

Hi All,
I have observed this forum for a while but just joined, so that I can add my 2 cents.

I have been using the Minolta in B spec mode to win lots of races, mainly because I am still playing with a PS2 controller. I recently won a Sauber C 9, and after adjusting the car to fit my style, and installing a stage 4 turbo and a roll cage, I find that the C 9 handles better, and has better braking, which seems to provide for faster lap times. I ran some city courses on 10 speed, on A spec, and slaughtered the other competitors by many seconds in only 2 laps.

Out of interest, why is the Toyota 88C-V the only car that is most commonly referred to by its sponsor? No one calls the Wedssport Celica the Wedssport or the Raybrig NSX the Raybrig or the Falken GT-R the Falken so why does it happen with the 88C-V. I find it very strange - I hope next time we also get the Tom's version of the 88C-V but then perhaps everyone would call it the Tom's.

I dislike them both, as they RATTLE way too much. That rattling is what making bob drive slow slow in the straights, because the Driving Aids is built in him and you can't turn off the driving aids hes using, so the aids try to fight the rattling. That makes bob drive so slow in the straights...

Back