Scrubbing Bubbles

• Thread starter phattboy
  • 15 comments
First, a little background to make things relative:

I've been lurking in and out of this forum for some time now taking advantage of the posts to improve my game. I decided it wasn't really right to just take advantage of the posts without putting something back into the pot so here is my first contribution.

I’ve been through a few controllers on my first couple of time through the game and this restart I actually sat down to take the time to gold the licenses before starting anything else. (Man what an advantage that gives!)

I had read how some in this forum had started with a Vitz which intrigued me and in spite of having a garage full of options after “golding” the licenses and time trials, I spent the money on a White Vitz and officially dubbed it "Whitzer".

Knowing the Austin I won was (to me) little more than a looker and basically not a choice I was going to use, it went up on the Auction Block along with sacrificing the Viper Concept.

With the "phatt" pocketbook I now had, I poured myself into the scrubbing bubble "Whitzer" and started the latest adventure with a trip to the parts store to dump a "phatt" 100k.

Whitzer was ready to go and it seemed a waste of good parts to go anywhere but to the vitz races in the pro league. Why? I guess because I could. In the process, I could "phatten" back up the now "Atkinsized" pocketbook. Seemed like a good idea. Besides, I happen to like the Scrubbing Bubbles races.

First thing I did was set up the parts on the new car as follows:

Full Racing Suspension:

SR- 7.2/6/1
RH- 89/89
SB- 8/8
SRB- 8/8
CA- 2.0/1.0
TA- 0.0/0.0
Stab- 6/6

I didn't use any brake controller although I did at the racing brakes.

LSD- 10/40/20
ASM/TCS- 0/2

After some testing, I ended up starting the racing with the stock 5-speed tranny. It just seemed like I was pulling better lap times when I was testing at Rome... I ended up changing that later on as you will read later.

I also went back to the stock muffler after testing just to try to make it a little more competitive.

I loaded up Super Slicks (T2) on the front and Slicks (T3) in the rear, brushed up on my Italian and headed off to Rome:

Rome:

I knew what was going to happen when the bubbles turned into suds at the first corner so I didn't bother qualifying. Instead, I started from the basement (as I have read Der Alta say) of the grid. I hung back enough to cut inside and immediately moved up two spots as the 4th and 5th bubbles cleaned up the guardrail. By the second left into the long sweeping straight, I was in position to under brake and get back on the gas over the rumble at the apex of the corner and pass the third place bubble. I found myself slipping into the quiet spot behind the second place scrubber.

I maxed out the tranny partway down the ensuing straight and was unable to gain the advantage over second place. I dogged the front two just out of range but slowly pulling up on them for the balance of the first lap. About two thirds of the way up the back sweeping straightaway, I slipped streamed tight to the second place bubble. As he entered the easy right turn, I knew he would overshoot just enough that I would be able to duck under him to the right and secure second place. He did and I did.

First place was not far ahead and being faster through the next left and right, I was able to slip by into first place as we turned left between the buildings and he decided the guardrails needed a bit of scrubbing.

That was pretty much the end of the racing at that point and I motivated myself to the finishline by racing against my own time.

Me- 16'39.607
Bitz- +034.295
Gitz- +036.011
Sitz- +036.800
Blitz- +028.755
Ritz- +040.400

Best Lap- 1'37.361

Laguna:

Starting sixth again, the lights staged and the dings donged and we were off! At the first hairpin, I yelled, "LOOKOUT BOYS! PHATTBOY COMIN' THROUGH!" When the bubbles popped, I was in second... for a second. I felt a bonk and the Sitz shot by for second and the Gitz gotz third again. I held fourth through to the corkscrew where I out braked him, dropped off the edge into the corkscrew and gotz third back from Gitz. At the last tight left to the front straight, I shotz by the Sitz and couldn't believe the time the lead guy was “puttin’ on the Ritz.” He was passing the start/finish and rounding the bend.

Slowly and steadily I reeled him in. When I finally caught him near the corkscrew, I was on him like a Whitz on a Ritz. I managed a perfect weight shift entering the downforce corner and as we exited the corkscrew, I shot past into first place where I remained for the balance of Laguna. I spent a lot of time debating what I would have to remove to make this a little more competitive. This, of course, being a far cry different than the first time I did this race.

Me (Whitzer)- 15'43.609
Ritz- +30.329
Gitz- ++32.499
Sitz- +34.457
Bitz- +36.047
Blitz- +36.199

Best Lap- 1'32.162

Test Track:

At going on 48 years old I can spot a cruel joke when I see one and this is a cruel joke on the part of the creators of this wonderful game. Needless to say, I didn't take anything off. Instead, I added back on the Racing muffler, tuned the tranny out and put myself through the agony.

Note: By tuning the tranny, I mean to say, start stock, put final all right, auto then all left and return final to 2.95.

Whitzer went wheezing through torture course at 24'22.206 with everyone else darn near two laps down.

Best Lap- A blistering 2'24.298 averaging about 158-159 through the turns and up to a smokin' 162-162 and sometimes even 162 by the end of the straights.

I can tell you I know how many dashed white lane marks there are as well as how many lights in the tunnel. (I said I can tell you I KNOW how many there are... I didn't say I was going to tell you!)

SS 11 (Better known to me as the "How do they do that" race:

I did the usual after loading back up my previous settings replete with the 5-speed stock tranny. I did the usual finally get past them on the 5th lap and finished out the race. Blah Blah Blah.

Decided that wasn't good enough and the challenge was calling me. Reloaded and put in the racing tranny. After playing around and ending up with:

1st- 2.833
2nd- 2.041
3rd- 1.551
4th- 1.231
5th- 1.00
6th- 0.770

Final 4.312

Auto at 20 (I think)

I ran what I thought was a pretty fair lap of 2'09.xxx with medium tires. Deciding that was good enough to give it another go, I reloaded the game, put back on the t2/t3 combo tires, reloaded my new setup and started in the bottom of the bucket 'o' suds.

When the lights went, I hole shot at just under 5k on the tach and picked up two places in the first corner. Even with the bonks I got through the first chicane(?) I exited it still in fourth place. I managed to pass the third and second place bubbles before the end of the second lap. I caught Mr. Bitz by the end of the front straight (thank you very much Mr. 0.770 Sixth Gear) on lap three, dogged him through the first chicane like thingy and having a better line coming off it, I carried enough speed to shift Whitzer over tight to the rail just as Mr. Bitz finished cleaning it and slip by for the lead.

Whitzer- 22'07.821
Sitz- +1'03.814
Gitz- +1'08.260
Blitz- +1'09.395
Bitz- +1'10.705
Ritz- +1'14.331

Best Lap 2'10.207

Grand Valley:

Basically uneventful... Same settings, bottom of the bucket start.

Passed the first place car just out of the tunnel and ended up as follows:

Whitzer- 21'37.469
Gitz- +1'26.185
Ritz- +1'26.322
Blitz- +1'26.546
Bitz- +1'28.244
Sitz- +1'28.334

Best Lap- 2'06.629

I hate this track in any other car but for some reason or another it is actually fun in the Whitzer with this setup.

Out of the hole at just under 5k. Accelerate (as best you can) to the end of the straight. Slip to the left and line up on the apex. Slam the brakes hard in a straight line just before the start of the rumble. Off the brakes and coast for a second to the rumble strip at the apex and gas back on drifting to the opposite rumble strip heading down to the overhanging signs.

Keep the gas and ride the right side rumble all the way to the shadow of the last overhanging sign. Slam the brakes in a straight line, then off, no… bump them again. Then off the brakes, down several gears, turn into the first tight left, burp the throttle on and off then on again to the tight right, off the gas, burp the throttle on and off a couple of time to shift the weight in the rear. Then feather back to full power through the turn, upshift and arch back to the outside of the track.

At the shadow of the last Tickford sign, off/on (that’s a verb) the gas while you turn left to enter the tunnel feathering the gas back to full throttle in and out of the apex in the middle of the tunnel. Upshift midway under full acceleration through the turn and out of the tunnel. Cop 6th at the bridge and full tilt across.

At the other end of the bridge, hammer the brakes in a straight line at the shadow, then get off them, downshift, turn and feather back on the gas holding tight to the left wall of the tunnel. Brakes, burp the gas and turn right as you exit the tunnel to shift the weight in the rear and ride the rumble from the right to the rumble on the left. Enter the third tunnel under full throttle again holding tight to the left wall.

Just before you exit, hammer the brakes, turn right, downshift and burp the throttle on/off then feather it back on to ride the driftout to the left side of the track. Feather the gas for weight shift through the next left and right. When the green part of the fence is dead center and you peak the apex of the sweeping right, full throttle and upshift completing the arc back to the right side of the track. At the hairpin, hammer the brakes and downshift, turn, bump the brakes again and then feather the throttle out to the right side rumble strip in as gentle an arc as possible to maximize acceleration. Then, its back to the left side of the track.

Early apex the short right then late apex the next gentle left then right. Down the hill to the rumble strip on the right, hammer the brakes, downshift, turn left, feather the gas, feel the weight shift as you just ride the center apex on the left and full throttle, upshifting out to the right side of the track again just catching the end of the rumble there. Round the big right and down the straight and start all over again.

Ten times later, there you have it... Pick up the Tom's and find the save button, the phattboy has sung and you can go home now.

As for me and Whitzer (popper of bubbles)… We are off to Seattle for a quick (well… maybe not THAT quick) 40 with a Z0-6 in the rearview.

(Hope I did this right)

You sure seemed to do it right! Welcome to the active posters of GTP. An excellent writeup and good narrative style. I love the "scrubbing bubbles" analogy.

Excellent work, and keep us posted on your progress with the Pro Vitz series and this game save!

Of Seattle 40:

Whitzer says I like snakes... they taste like chicken.

Whitzer- 1:10'20.041
Viper- +1'07.243
Mustang- +1'12.113
Z28- +1
SS- +1
Cobra- +2

Best Lap- 1'42.178

Same settings as the pro vitz race although with the five speed stock tranny and without the muffler.

Note to self:

Don't take the outside line in corner one at the start. It is a full court press against the guardrail by the big metal on the little guy. 20 minutes and 40 seconds later you are finally back up to speed with the first snake 8 seconds to the good and 2 Cameros running blocker for him.

Thoughts:

The AI in the Mustang is only driving a stud.

The Viper is no match for 20 laps between pit stops although, in watching the split time reports throughout the race, we were pretty evenly matched on lap times. When Whitzer's tires were prime, I was actually pulling the Viper, most of which was apparently gained through the pit entry chicane.

Why in the world did the Cobra even show up? I mean really... 40 laps with 13+ pee stops? What were we thinking as we programmed this?

I cannot believe my luck this time around... As I speak, the Lotus is being transported to the garage.

Me and Whitzer are off to the Deep Forest of the Pro FF.

Funny you should ask...

Pro FF:

On the trip here, I was thinking about the first time I raced this series in my original game. I got trounced with everything I tried. Ultimately, I resorted to getting all wet so I could get the Citroen Rally car, maxed it out and went back to the Pro FF. With the controller buzzing in my hand all the way around the tracks I just brute forced my way through the series for a win. At that, every race was still a nail biter with minimal margins of victory. I spent more time on the walls than on the tarmac and sent most of the competition home with little sheet metal left. Every pit crew in the series was peeved at all the work I caused for them.

The second time I ran this series, I had learned a little about settings/tuning and was able to exact victory in the Citroen with little or no upgrade in HP. Still, I recall them being competitive for me at the time with margins of victory that kept my thumb sore for 10 laps at a time. (I’m not sure why I think the actual gas pedal is somewhere deep inside the controller at time like that.)

Deep Forest:

Now, as I lined Whitzer up for the jaunt through the woods, I had lingering second thoughts about 26X hp and a stock 5-speed transmission. The Citroen, with its inherently higher HP had been able to keep pace with whatever FF Pro had to offer. Looking forward at the ominous Spoon modded Civic, the TRD Celica, and the Integra lined up there, I was wondering if Whitzer would be up for the challenge. The Accord Euro and Coupe Turbo didn’t bother me much although I considered them a bit more in the league.

When the bell tolled and the hammers went down, I had to apologize to Whitzer about putting the Accord Euro and Coupe Turbo in his league. As Whitzer whitzed by them, I was sure I saw grocery bags in the back seats. I had to apologize again just after the first left and glanced at the Integra in the rearview.

At the entrance to the first tunnel, the TRD confirmed a trip to the body shop for him and second place for Whitzer and I was thinking about Spoon feeding Whitzer at lunch time. However, I was so busy with that thought and not paying attention I blew the next corner. Which, of course, leads to blowing the next corner and 20 minutes and 40 seconds later you are back up to speed chasing down a TRD that made a miraculous recovery that only AI can make and was now 6 car lengths ahead of me. They say pride cometh before a fall… I say “Whoops” and try to find that gas pedal deep inside the controller again.

Not to worry for long though, I dropped the TRD one position back at the long sweeping left just past the last tunnel and set about my Civic duties. At the same corner a lap later, I discovered AI just doesn’t get that corner as the streak of yellow passed by in my right window.

Despite my ineptness:

Whitzer- 14’06.460
Spoon- +0’47.730
TRD- +0’58.867
Integra- +1’06.638
Coupe Turbo- +1’28.724
Bottom Feeder- +1 lap

Best lap 1’22.690

After the race, I asked the Spoon’s driver why in the world he would pit so late in the game? (No answer of course because he really doesn’t exist.)

Rome:

Sheesh…

Whitzer- 16’12.138
Spoon- +038.559
Integra- +1’14.349
FTO (TRD still at body shop)- +1’26.626
Coupe Turbo and Bottom Feeder- +1 lap

Best Lap: 1’35.487

After the first turn, I spent most of my time learning the nuances of running the Rome circuit with minimal brake usage.

Mostly a Yawn…

Cote:

Nap time for the phattboy again…

Whitzer- 18’24.604
New Beetle- +51.578
TRD- +1’26.286
FTO, Coupe Turbo, Spooning off the bottom- + 1 lap

I now have that yellow thing they give you for winning in my garage. It doesn’t hurt when you touch it or anything. I’m just not sure what you are supposed to do with it.

I guess I didn’t try to make this series any more competitive after the awakenings in the first race. I suppose I was so enamored with how well my bad self was doing compared to previous experiences I just didn't want to. Plus, since I have decided to take Whitzer as far as he will go, it seemed like a good place to practice up for what I am sure will be more competitive races to come. I may decide at some point to return to these races, drop off a bunch of accessories to see what fun I can have then but for now… nah!

These series of races have given me a whole different outlook on driving as well as setting up FF vehicles. In the past, I have always avoided FF like the plague because… well… I didn’t know about that sweet spot on the torque curve where you can feather the gas through a corner and it pulls you back into line. I didn’t think about less brake and more coast and weight shift or for that matter, how to tune things to the point that the controller isn’t like holding a power sander in your hands for 15 minutes at a sitting. I just wanted point and shoot with lots and lots of power. Besides… there is also the cool factor. Let’s face it, FF rigs aren’t exactly Corvettes or Jags or RGTs now are they? Up to the Xsara, Integra or the TRD, mostly they look like either the scrubbing bubbles or the sponge.

But… You know what they say… “Cool is as cool does”.

As an after thought, I did dump some of the acc'ys off Whitzer, drop down to Amateur League and pick up the black TRD for FF. Nothing worth writing about though.

Then, minus a few more acc'ys, down one more league and I cannot believe how good my luck is this go around.

:bowdown: THE PINK VITZ!!!

Originally posted by UB57
Isn't that SUPPOSED to be:
Thanks man!!! It was phun!!!:lol:

This game is phun!!!

phattboy ???

:lol: :lol: :lol:...UB57
:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: 👍

Thanks phor reminding me ya old phart! :lol: :lol:

I've been phinding out again how much phun it is to chase around the phorums again! :lol: I had almost phorgotten!!

(I see you are back to the old haunts after ARC II)

phattboy

Latest Posts

Back