Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus Reveals its 2020 Le Mans Hypercar

I look forward to seeing more of the car. The styling reminds me of the Ferrari P4, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise since they made their own Ferrari P4 supercar years back.

Ooh! I beleive this is the first official look at a regulated hypercar class car?

Already looking like they will have a nice level of agressiveness and freedom in design. I very much like.

Looks like a regular road car. Im pretty sure the Le Mans racecar will be heavily modified by the time it hits the road. They wont compete with street cars, although race cars based on road cars are allowed.

somehow this car already looks dated. wasn't toyota teasing something about a le mans hypercar not long ago as well?

The race car will be a prototype so can be modified, aero wise, before it hits the track. Road car versions will then be produced.

They will use an Alfa V6TT producing 750bhp.

somehow this car already looks dated. wasn't toyota teasing something about a le mans hypercar not long ago as well?
Hypercar’s will be aero balanced so brands can style their cars. Rather than just aiming for pure performance.

Toyota are building a prototype Hypercar. A road car version will be produced later. Aston’s Hypercar is based on the road going Valkyrie. They plan to have four cars on the grid, run by two teams, year one. There’s a possibility of more.

Maybe I have a case of hypercar fatigue but this really doesn't impress me visually. I'm also surprised that the road spec 003 has 250+ more hp than the race car. What a crazy world I live in.

The front of the car reminds me of the secret car El Nino from Need for Speed 3
latest

Cool to see the car. They had mentioned to were doing it at the 24NBR this year. By the way, can the Competizione lap the 24H course or Nordschleife in 6:30? If it's really the 24H course wouldn't that put it on pace to beat the 919 Evo around Nordschleife?

Gotta gives James a lot of credit. He’s got a lot of different models planned for such a small brand, you’d think he had overdone himself. But last I heard from someone who visited him, he’s got a few of the cars already in production, they’re just taking their time with the quality control.

I have strong Burnout feelings with this... Can't wait to see it in action!! :D

Taking down rivals or being taken down lol

This might just become the most plain hypercar in the entire class. Pretty much the opposite of what I'm used to from SCG.

I don't understand why they've taken this design route.

To a degree, yes there's going to be limitations. The AMR Valkyrie is going to have significantly less downforce than the road car; just because of limits on the floor. But, at least that thing, and the Toyota to a lesser extent, actually took lessons learned from the last 30 years of aerodynamics and applied them where possible.

It's not about wings or tunnels. Ignore those for a second. I'm talking about better airflow management around the bodywork.

A good example of them getting it right are the exits behind the front wheels. The wheel well is a giant high-pressure zone, that pushes up on the bodywork creating lift. One way to deal with this is to exhaust this behind the wheel, and they've done that. The other way to deal with this are louvers over the wheels through the bodywork. They've got them....too far back. You want to vent them into a low-pressure area for best effect; on this car that's be right up against the headlights, or even further forward. Not doing that is just throwing away downforce.

Likewise, the exhausts over the hood. OK you need some there, but by the position they are, that's the high-pressure zone ahead of the windshield, AND the whole concave area just builds up more pressure. You don't exhaust into a HP zone. Again, further forward would be better.

The roof and cabin shape; there's a reason many LMP cars had funny shaped cockpits that tried desperately to wrap air in from the sides; that means the low pressure zones are facing sideways (and cancel out). With this shape, it's like the Group C cars, the whole damn thing is a giant low pressure area adding a bunch of lift.
And the roof intake there? Every LMP car that tried that has eventually moved it into clear air for a bit of a ram effect; because putting an air intake in a low-pressure zone isn't a great idea (maybe aesthetically...).

Rear view mirrors are pretty well done.
Exhaust position is nice, no problems there. Good way to add mass flow, admittedly after the diffuser, but it'd help.

To top it off, it's not even that striking or beautiful, and not just to me (haven't yet see anyone comment that it's a huge improvement over their previous design...). I just don't get it; why make it look like that?

ps. To the inevitable hapless person that thinks I'm making this up or don't know anything, these are fairly basic concepts. Check out beginner-friendly sites like mulsannescorner and even you should be able to pick up on these.

Cool to see the car. They had mentioned to were doing it at the 24NBR this year. By the way, can the Competizione lap the 24H course or Nordschleife in 6:30? If it's really the 24H course wouldn't that put it on pace to beat the 919 Evo around Nordschleife?
I absolutely agree.

Actually the error seems to come from the Wikipedia page of the SCG003, where a quote is referring to a motorauthority.com article. In that article it says that the 24h lap time was 8:15, but somehow they derive 6:33 as a fictitious lap time for the Nordschleife only (without the GP circuit).

This article is therefore misquoted on Wikipedia.

@Famine

I absolutely agree.

Actually the error seems to come from the Wikipedia page of the SCG003, where a quote is referring to a motorauthority.com article. In that article it says that the 24h lap time was 8:15, but somehow they derive 6:33 as a fictitious lap time for the Nordschleife only (without the GP circuit).

This article is therefore misquoted on Wikipedia.

@Famine
Oops, thanks for the tag. I'm blaming fat fingers - I was looking at the 2015 qualifying time of 8'27, and 6'30 on the 24hr is obviously stupid. Duly corrected 👍

Latest Posts

Back