Senna's content on brazilian car magazine

I would be fine with "fake" McLaren if they can't afford it - name it "LarenMc" or whatever.

"A car inspired by legendary McLaren MP4/4 with very similar specs and body(shape some details differently)"

Would that be fine licensing wise ? Would that fall into "grey area" ?

Pretty sure McLaren would be on the phone rather quickly. I have a feeling the reason those 'F1' cars from GT3 disappeared were because they were basically straight up copies of real cars with fake names and Formula 1 Management/Manufacturers were not impressed.

Pretty sure McLaren would be on the phone rather quickly. I have a feeling the reason those 'F1' cars from GT3 disappeared were because they were basically straight up copies of real cars with fake names and Formula 1 Management/Manufacturers were not impressed.
Yeah, the fakes from GT3 weren't an issue. What with PS2 graphics and less notoriety and all. But if they tried something like that today with 1080p looks and detail...it wouldn't end well.

I think they were an issue, the EU version of the game had all but one two removed, the one we still have now in GT5/6 and another one.

Really? Thought the PAL version had them all, including an unlicensed Benetton that wasn't in the NTSC copies.

Nope, we had Polphony 001 and Polyphony 002.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Yeah, the fakes from GT3 weren't an issue. What with PS2 graphics and less notoriety and all. But if they tried something like that today with 1080p looks and detail...it wouldn't end well.
Reiza (a small brazilian dev.) did that last year in the 'Game Stock Car 2013'
car6.jpg

Bonus:
nK6hF6U.jpg

Reiza (a small brazilian dev.) did that last year in the 'Game Stock Car 2013'
car6.jpg

They may have done this prior to the Exclusive McLaren Deal (seeing as I remember seeing early footage of this way before the announcement with Simraceway). If not, its only a matter of time before they get caught.

They may have done this prior to the Exclusive McLaren Deal (seeing as I remember seeing early footage of this way before the announcement with Simraceway). If not, its only a matter of time before they get caught.
This is exactly the type thing Project Cars is doing, no? Are all of the PCars cars licensed?

This is exactly the type thing Project Cars is doing, no? Are all of the PCars cars licensed?

While I don't them recall having any McLaren F1 cars, they do have a majority of their cars licensed (including the Audi R18, which seemed to had taken the longest time). One car that comes to mind that's still unlicensed is the Asano X4 Touring (AKA, 2011 Audi A4 DTM).

They have three unlicensed F cars. With these 'fake' F cars they have to be different enough not to get into legal trouble. Those cars in the NTSC GT3 were obviously too close.

While I don't them recall having any McLaren F1 cars, they do have a majority of their cars licensed (including the Audi R18, which seemed to had taken the longest time). One car that comes to mind that's still unlicensed is the Asano X4 Touring (AKA, 2011 Audi A4 DTM).
X4/A4 has now gone entirely unfortunately because of DTM related licence issues.

I don't know if they need that type of license to put a 'F1 clone' in the game, but you're probably right...

btw, Reiza had the same license from 'Instituto Ayrton Senna' which PD has right now - but with a (way) better selection of tracks related to Senna: with Classic Interlagos/ the modern layout/ the kart track and Jacarepaguá

I think they were an issue, the EU version of the game had all but one two removed, the one we still have now in GT5/6 and another one.

The one we "still" have now, the pure fantasy Formula GT, is from GT4 and not GT3. All of the classic "fake" F1 cars from the NA version of GT3 were removed and replaced with the two modified versions in the EU version, and all models were effectively removed entirely in the jump from GT3 to GT4. I assume that's why they made the FGT to replace them.

And anyway, it looks like there are small differences on the 001 and 002 from their real life counterparts. The 002 is definitely still the MP4/4, although I can see they changed the front wing a bit (different endplates and the curvature of the back/top of the wing is similar to the MP4/6) and the rollbar is slightly different. The 001 looks to be the FW17 from 1995, albeit there might be some small differences as well (one being the nose posts that hold the front wing are much closer together). It looks a bit like they might have just pasted the newer bridge nose from the '95 model onto the F094/H but then again the FW16 and FW17 were very similar models anyway, other than that one new major change. And the 001 does have the lower/wider rear wing that was introduced in 1995 rather than the taller and narrower pre-95 wing that's on the F094.

Anyone have a guess on the year the formula for the Formula Gran Turismo is based on?

Closest year would be 2004 but they didn't quite emulate the existing models. They share a similar general look and used some similar elements, like the aero winglet pieces on the sidepods, but the FGT was designed to be its own car. Particularly the front nose isn't quite like any F1 model we've ever seen and is instead more cylindrical rather than flat on the top like typical F1 cars from the period.

Last edited:
There are several models in GT3 NTSC, here is a vid

The models and their shape similar:

F086/M (1986 Lotus 98T)
F687/S (1987 Lotus 99T)
F088/S (1988 Mclaren MP4/4)
F090/S (1990 Mclaren MP4/5B)
F094/H (1994 Lotus 107C)
F094/S (1994 Williams FW16)

In the PAL version the 001 is some kind of Footwork 1991 and 002 is a MP 4/4, or looks like.

Actually, the 001 is the Williams FW17B.

Also, pretty sure the F094/H is also the Williams FW16 as it has the exact same nose and rear wing. The Lotus 107C doesn't have that rear wing.

Last edited:
Back